PDA

View Full Version : stroking SR20 --> SR22

PSIKO
12-05-02, 11:35 AM
Hey guys,
I'm just wondering what power gains would you expect to get out of this? And how much approximately would it cost?

cheers :)

sssgtr
12-05-02, 11:52 AM
you actually gain an increase in torque over the whole power band. Apexi do a kit for the SR20DET, but i think it's $$$$$$
You can be guarateed an increase of 200cc of displacement will be torquier.

PSIKO
12-05-02, 12:10 PM
It won't weaken the engine would it?

Which would be better? boring the ca18 to ca22 or sr20 to sr22?

sssgtr: where can I get hold of one of these apexi kits mate?

Matt RC-Racing
12-05-02, 03:00 PM
Different outfits do 2.2 kits in different ways.
Some go bigger on bore and stroke which makes the liners rather weak if you're going to put big power through them.
others go bigger in the stroke.

JUN, Apexi and Tomei do them (to name a few)
usually the kits consist of a stroker crank and pistons with the pin height moved up so you can use std length rods.

I can give you a good price on the Tomei kit (not quite 1/2 JUN price)

Email me off list.

PSIKO
12-05-02, 06:30 PM
Matt - I sent you a PM
cheers

Am just wondering what the power gains you'd get from doing this would be? Would people think it's a good idea for an sr?

IMOA
12-05-02, 07:34 PM
Unless you are absolutely rolling in it then no, it's not a good idea. The cost landed in aus with all tax's paid is around the 12k mark, think of what else you could do with that money.

karl_2ltGC
12-05-02, 07:49 PM
boring motors is not a good idea
usually the cylinder walls will end up much weaker and when under pressure may actually become 'out of round' meaning rings dont seal and you LOSE power!

200cc dont mean turd on a turbo motor anyway, just get a bigger turbo and itl cost you way less and make LOADS more power, and you wont have to rebuild your engine.

Matt RC-Racing
12-05-02, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by IMOA
Unless you are absolutely rolling in it then no, it's not a good idea. The cost landed in aus with all tax's paid is around the 12k mark, think of what else you could do with that money.

Don't know where you get your figures from but I can do kits (stroker crank and pistons) for around $4500au + shipping and taxes.. long way off $12k.

IMOA
12-05-02, 08:05 PM
Retail price in japan for an apexi/jun kit is around the 8k mark, add 25% tax's and you're at 12k. I've seen them advertised for 13k here.

What you're saying is that you can land a stroker kit for around 6k? Thats very good, can you provide some more details as to exactly what it includes, who makes it etc

Matt RC-Racing
12-05-02, 08:27 PM
Kit Includes crank and pistons (as per JUN) made by Tomei.

FR Driver
12-05-02, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Matt RC-Racing
Kit Includes crank and pistons (as per JUN) made by Tomei.

interesting. got a part number handy? how much for the kit with new rods?

I have the 2000 tomei catalogue sitting in front of me,and you couldn't even buy the crank and piston kit out of the factory's back door for $6k,unless they've gone down in price by about $800 in two years.

tomei make some fantastic gear for nissan engines,I'd love to know how you're getting it here below japanese retail,and without tax and import duties.

Justin...

CnC
12-05-02, 11:52 PM
That is not quite true. The JUN kit includes billet rods as well. This is not some small point to be overlooked either as a quality set of rods will set you back up to $2000.

Zac
13-05-02, 03:06 AM
karl, sorry but I don't particularly agree with most of what you are saying. It would depend on the engine itself rather than those theories applying to all engines.

I reckon cubes make a difference on any engine. do you own a turbo engine?

Matt RC-Racing
13-05-02, 07:00 AM
We are JUN and Tomei retailers, and neither kit in the form we buy them contains rods (though rods are avail for well under $2kau - not Tomei brand through)

Tomei gives us good prices due to what we buy through them.
Part # 221009
Normal bore and Stroke 86x86mm
Stroker 2.2 87x91mm.

This was a price on a kit, not a war on prices.
Instead of knocking the price, why not put up a deposit and we'll get you one in? :)

CnC
13-05-02, 09:53 AM
The JUN kit I purchased does contain rods. Whether or not your operation sells the kits this way is another matter.

The standard rods must be replaced as they are a the weak link in the chain if you have replaced both the crank and the pistons with high strength items.

Matt RC-Racing
13-05-02, 05:45 PM
having checked up again the JUN kit IS avail with or without rods.
Prob a mental ignorace on my part due tot he price of the rods alone.. they are NOT cheap, and price doesn't always mean they are the best.