PDA

View Full Version : 12A trouble please help quick

13BTRX7
21-05-02, 10:53 AM
hey
for the last few months my car has become very hard to start, it only gets driven on the weekends, so it is left un started for a week or sometimes more, as im turning it over, the car, tries to fire but never actually starts, and for the first few seconds it runs very rough, also when turning it over i can smell fuel pretty strongly,
i have booked it in at maz performance for this thursday , but i can't get it started ,
got n e ideas??
thanks

10sec rx7
21-05-02, 11:24 AM
i have a idea, dont take it to maz performance at north rocks PM Me if you want to know why

put a new set of plugs in it and give that a try

Dazz
21-05-02, 11:54 AM
Check the plugs, rotor button and dizzy cap for starters. If any of these are worn out, or the plugs are fouled it will be hard to start.

Check for spark (you might need a friend) by pulling a lead off and holding it near one of the strut top bolts and crank the engine over to see if it has a good spark. By the way, keep your other hand in your pocket and try not to touch the car.

Check to see that the needle and seat is opperating properly and that fue is not running into the manifold while trying to start the engine.

buzz
21-05-02, 12:35 PM
If you havn't fiddled with anything since it last ran, and it has good compression, you should be in with a chance.
Check battery is ok.
Take off air filter cover and pump throttle - see if petrol is going into inlet.
pull out plugs, clean 'em up, cover the plug side of the engine and turn it over on the starter - this will clear out oil / fuel from rotor. Covering the plugs holes will stop petrol and oil spraying over the side of the car.
Replace plugs, leave cover off air filter cover and try and start engine. If it wants to go either try spraying aerostart into inlet when cranking or maybe pour small amount of fuel into carb (better still use a syringe - no needle of course- or a hand sprayer to meter in only a small amount.)

Is probably either cactus plugs, or stuck needle / seat.

13BTRX7
21-05-02, 06:56 PM
thanks a heap guys got it going, and boy did it smoke, but went smae as usuall once on the road, jsut have to wait for it to be tuned now
l8er