PDA

View Full Version : Disc brake sticking

demuire
25-05-02, 09:35 PM
The disc brakes on my Corolla seem to be sticking, when you turn the wheel you can hear them rubbing and when you spin it by hand, the wheel doesn't turn very freely (it turns, just not very freely). I would imagine they aren't meant to be like this?

How can I fix this?

smeck
25-05-02, 09:53 PM
Your disc's aren't spinning truly. Mostly likely your disc's are out of round, probably from being overheated. Get your hands on a dial indicator and measure the runout. If this is the case, measure the thickness of the disc, there may still be enough meat to machine them. If not they will have to be replaced.

You may also have too much free play in your wheel bearings, check/adjust the end float to be sure.

demuire
25-05-02, 09:56 PM
Wow, *whoosh* right over the head :)

I'm not sure what you mean by "truly" and "out of round", but the discs are not warped or anything. They don't spin freely, but are even in the resistance all the way around.

What is runout? I read that in the Gregory's manual too but have no idea what it is :) As for the thickness of the disc, I don't even know if the discs are the correct ones (they don't match the ones in the Gregory's manual)... Am trying to find out what the proper ones are supposed to be...

smeck
25-05-02, 10:09 PM
Okay then, if the resistance is even all the way around then it's not your disc's. Time to check other things like the calipers. As calipers get old the pistons get stiff and don't return into the caliper properly, causing drag on the discs.

If this stuff is going over your head, maybe you should be taking your car to a mechanic.

Normally they will drag lightly . How much drag is there?

demuire
25-05-02, 10:26 PM
I may have to take the car to the mechanic, but would like to do as much as I can by myself (or with help) so that I can learn stuff :) If I keep taking my car to the mechanic I'll never learn anything :)

The drag is fair. With the wheel off, I can turn the hub, but with effort and if I try to spin it it pretty much stops once i let go of it. With the wheel on (more momentum) it is easier to turn the wheel, and when I let go of it it turns maybe one or two turns and then stops.

If the brakes were continually rubbing wouldn't they overheat when I'm driving? I haven't had any problems with brake fade so far...

*edit* Ah, now know what you mean, the DBA website is kinda useful :)

rowdytoot
25-05-02, 11:10 PM
Fook.. sounds like either..

1)the piston isn't returning into the caliper properly.. in which case, its pull the calipers apart time, and replace the piston seals..
or 2) the slides on the caliper, which keep the pads evenly spaced from the disc as the pads wear.... ( the caliper will move inwards toward the centre of the car as the inner pad wears) are dry and are sticking.. the inner pad is dragging on the inside of the disc, so its pull the caliper off and relube the slide pins..

OR

It may be that the wheel bearings are either too tight are are greaseless! -- remove the pads from the cailper and spin the wheel.. if its still bad..then you know its bearings... I seem to recall doing the bearings on the KE30 and I think it was pretty easy...

Cheers

Rowds