PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on the ford 250????

Russ
02-06-02, 08:17 PM
Hey everyone, thinking of buying a XD ford with manual 250 in it, what do u think of these motors and gearboxs? are they strong and can that take a beating?

And how would you compair this to a Auto Injected 3.3L VK???

Cheers,

Russ

pearlvk
02-06-02, 08:21 PM
Yeh id go for one, Mates got a xd 250 auto, would go as hard as a vk auto injected. So a manual one would even be better. Raced a Near fully worked 250, and it beat my mates xf 351. So they have got potential. They get rust easy thought, rear lower quarters, behind tires. But there alright, comin from a holden man.

Russ
02-06-02, 09:06 PM
Well my mate has one for sale, $750 without rego, its heaps clean, body is straight with good paint, nothing wrong with it, has bathurst globes with good rubber, full exhaust with headers, plenty more......

Seems like a good buy

karl_2ltGC
02-06-02, 09:31 PM
if your talking about the X-flow motor 4.1l....yea its a very tough motor....my mums XD has the alloy head 4.l L motor an its done 1,500,000ks with bugger all oil changes(though it is hightly recomeded)

In its whole life its done
One headgasket - overheated(had no water) and the dash light was broke so you couldnt see temp gauge at night)

One pushrod - dont ask me how this happened....

Fuel pump, water pump...carb kitted twice few other little things.

But now the thing is shagged though...leaks oil everywere, burns oil(valve seat seals) and is darn tired(but still goes along reasonably....and pulls to about 140 reasonably comfortably:D)

Good motors....would be even better if you take care of it :D

Just dont give it many revs when cold....other than that there good :)

Jim
03-06-02, 07:15 PM
the XD has the first of the alloy head motors from memory, ( cross flow) but all the cross flows suffer the same problems. apart from wear and tear and corrosion common to any engine, these things are particuarly bad for:

wearing out camshaft lobes and hydraulic lifters,
spitting pushrods due to said camshaft lobe wear,
spitting pushrods due to intermittently sticking valves,
blowing smoke due to the umbrella valve stem seals turning to cement and crumbling away,
wearing the rings and bores due to the typical ford/holden crap cast iron quality.

They are a tough engine, and go better than the 3.3 commode motor, simply from the increase in capacity. (the 3.3 ford 6 (200ci) is just as slow as the holden 3.3) but expect it to be an old POS by now...

Russ
03-06-02, 08:53 PM
Is it still easy to get parts for them and everything?

Anything else i should look out for??

Also im going to do a Revs check and all, but is there anything else along these lines that i should do? becasue it has no rego and i dont wanna buy it if it wont get it.

thanks

Russ

karl_2ltGC
03-06-02, 10:34 PM
Parts are cheap and easy to find....

Just ask yourself how many XD-XE-XF falcons were made.

Captiva Fan
04-06-02, 08:36 AM
A manual 4.1 XD would probably perform about the same as an auto EFI VK, but when new the VK would've been a lot more refined & would've handled noticeably betterish. However, by now I think that which was better would probably depend on maintenance, mods & condition.

The 4.1 was a bit of a truck motor to drive, even compared to the asthmatic 3.3. In terms of reliability, the XD would win hands-down IMHO; I remember probably nearly 10 years ago my uncle's mechanic saying that the VK was the worst model Holden he'd ever been involved with in terms of reliability. But again, by now maintenance & condition would probably be more important than original design/build flaws, in terms of reliability.

Fat67XR
05-06-02, 08:43 AM
My thoughts on the 250 x flow... I've got a good running motor, not smokey, complete from sump to carby, with a borg warner auto box, also working perfectly, you can come and pick up from westen sydney for $50.00, including an almost brand new radiator to suit an XD.

If that isn't good value, i dont know what is!!!

Russ
05-06-02, 02:59 PM
If i get the car ill be interested in that, is it in or out of the car?

Russ

Fat67XR
05-06-02, 05:15 PM
The motor and box are still in the car, and will be removed soon, but all accessories and wiring in the vehicle have already been removed.

Car was on the road untill Febuary this year, when i began stripping it for repainting.

Just before it came off the road, i put a rebuild kit through the carby, and a new rocker cover gasket on it.

Just email me if you get the car to let me know if you want it.

xr1967@autospeed.com

Russ
05-06-02, 05:30 PM
What model is it out of?

Fat67XR
05-06-02, 06:00 PM
Its a carby fed Alloy head 250 out of an XD- XE falcon, but its coming out of my XR.

Russ
05-06-02, 06:02 PM
Kool, alright ill let u know:)

OVL087
05-06-02, 06:05 PM
watch out for the alloy heads , starter motors and door handles. all screw up often. my opinion is it makes for a bloody good anchor.

Russ
05-06-02, 06:07 PM
Yeah i know there not the best, but its suits my budget, and its a six manual, and thats what i have been looking for...

karl_2ltGC
06-06-02, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by OVL087
watch out for the alloy heads , starter motors and door handles. all screw up often. my opinion is it makes for a bloody good anchor.

Whats wrong with the alloy head or starter motors...???

But yes il give you the door handle there pretty crap but can be fixed easily with some new handle and some grease. Ive done it several time for our old XD....

gti6
07-06-02, 08:19 AM
If you're after a 6 cyl manual, have you considered a Regal with a 265 Hemi? AFAIK they're the best 6 in the business - especially in that era/price bracket.

You get a big jump in capacity (4.3L) and a cylinder head that flows well from factory. Throw in a cam, headers & exhaust, a nicer inlet manifold with a 600cfm carter and you have a fairly quick car.

A lot of stuff is available for the Hemis with a proven track record.

A mate has similar mods on a rebuilt hemi, with a little headwork from memory, and in a Charger it should break into the 14 second bracket fairly easily.

Captiva Fan
07-06-02, 08:27 AM
A problem with the Chryslers of that age is rust ... well, come to think about it they weren't any worse than Foldens, it's just that the 4.1 continued up to 1988 & I think of a late-model XF when thinking about rust in Fords. :)

On the Valiant front, I kinda wish my Grandfather hadn't ditched his Mitsubishi-badged last-model GXL in favour of a new VK. Admittedly it cost him a packet in repairs (partially because he was getting too careless to drive a manual *KERRUNCH!*, but things failed that weren't his fault too), but it would've been kewl to have a last-model Val with a Mitsubishi badge for a first car. :)

[Oh, and the big 4.3 ELB Val used less fuel than the 3.3 carby VK ...]

XDed
07-06-02, 04:27 PM
they are a pretty solid motor - not many people liked them cos the auto's made em go slow as POS :mad: , lots of torque, stock they dont like much rPM over 5000 tho (cam and better springs can fix that)

with forced induction people are making over 200 and even 300 rwkw, keep thr RPM sensible and the bottom end will handle a lot of power

the '79 XD came with the iron head X-flow - stronger head, didnt have to worry about corrosion, but it doesnt handle ULP or LPG very well, and is heavy as, made slightly less power than alloy heads
80 onwards xd came with alloy head, but they didnt change to the 2bbl weber carb until XE's came out. this is a must swap, the single BBL carb on the XD's is very restrictive as far as breathing goes...
my XD @

http://nforsa.8m.com/car/index.htm

has a holley 350, new inlet, 'stractors, and a 2.5" exhaust, and it goes a LOT better than standard, pulls to 100kms in 9secs or a bit quicker, not bad for a 79' car ;)

good car I rekon !