PDA

View Full Version : EFI on 18RGU?????

sbyder
03-06-02, 09:50 PM
i've gota RGU and I want to efi it, and was just wondering if i should continue my plans and take the head off a RGEU and place it on my preped block(turbocharging- <12second times wanted{>300hp})
OR
should i get an efi setup like on SLEEKA RA28???? They look really nice and is what i'm really wanting, but are they worth it?
Any knowledge on prices and that kind of EFI would be greatly appreciated.

Kangz
03-06-02, 10:02 PM
This will get moved to the tech section shortly, but:

18RGEU EFI system is pretty ancient these days. A vane airflow meter is completely restrictive against the more common hot wire MAF's around. It is also fuel only, which doesn't give you the control needed.

If you have built such a comprehensive bottom end, then you NEED aftermarket EFI. A good ECU will set you back anything from $1500 up. Then you will need to get it tuned.

ECU's worth considering: MoTeC (pricey, the best), Autronic (pricey, has autotune), Hlatech (probably best bang for buck)

Some would say Microtech, Wolf, Hawk... I don't :)

This is how I would go about it:
Collect the manifolds from the 18RGEU. Get a fuel system sorted out (lift pump, surge tank and EFI pump). Buy a Haltech. Throw all the stuff on, have a good look at the manifold before you put it on, porting is needed badly.

Then you're off! You need a good engine in that car of yours. Gotta have the go to match the show :)

Powerslidemike
03-06-02, 10:05 PM
Mate has an RT40 corona "Corona Extra" with an EFI 18RGEU and T03 turbo.
He's running a Haltech computer and pretty low boost, around 7 psi.

I'll be seeing him next week and maybe I can find out more details about the donk.

So far we have got a high 14 second from it on the G Tech. Not too bad for a mostly backyard job. Just wish the car could go around corners!

sbyder
03-06-02, 10:09 PM
so the "EFI SETUP" on the RGEU is ok {minus porting and airflow meter}???? What about other EFI options? ANY?

defintely want EFI, but also want the best for the price.

Was planning on getting E6K anway, so no troubles there.

PS this thread is in tech section too.

Kangz
03-06-02, 10:16 PM
18RGEU EFI setup is not great. It has some deficiencies, but it is a hell of a lot cheaper to do it that way then make all the parts custom.

It's basically like you're starting with an EFI donk and have upgraded the ECU. The fuel rail and injectors will start thinking about maxing out, the plenum could use velocity stacks or even quad throttles?

sbyder
03-06-02, 10:19 PM
any more info???
sorry to bug, but want as much info on the topic as possible
THANKS MAN really appreciate it!