PDA

View Full Version : rear window mounted aerial

NOS388
21-08-02, 08:58 AM
I'm replacing the guard mounted aerial with one that is mounted on the rear window.
How are these aerial fitted ?
Do you have to drill a hole in the glass, or is their a booster pad(like with mobile phone booster kits).

teK
21-08-02, 09:15 AM
Pass-through glass connector, I wouldn't recommend drilling any holes in the glass. Metallic tinting will also affect reception so if your rear windscreen is tinted then you have to remove the tint around the area where the antenna mounts. Otherwise I suggest mounting on the front windscreen.

NOS388
23-08-02, 05:14 PM
teK: HA NO. What are ya talkin about, putting a aerial on the front winscreen?(I hope you mean on the roof above the front wind screen).
Heres a pic of what I am talkin about doing.

teK
23-08-02, 09:13 PM
Re that photo: HA NO. The aerial isn't pointing straight up. The coverage pattern radiating from the antenna is a horizontal ellipse shape circumventing the perpendicular of the antenna (almost like a donut). Hence if you have it pointed down on an angle like that then half of it will be aimed at the ground and half at the sky, when it should be parallel to the ground.

What are ya talkin about, putting a aerial on the front winscreen?(I hope you mean on the roof above the front wind screen).

I am talking about mounting it on the front windscreen just as you would mount on the rear windscreen in that photo. Mounting on the roof would require drilling of panel or unsightly brackets/wiring which I don't think many people would want unless they were adamant about getting the best reception. Now, what YOU talking about? :rolleyes:

NOS388
23-08-02, 09:55 PM
teK: blow me!
What I ment was that I didn't understand what said.
Still there is no way I'm going to put an aerial on the front windscreen of my car.

teK
26-08-02, 01:36 PM
No.

NOS388
26-08-02, 05:42 PM
Ok, so basicly all you need to do to fit an rear window mounted aerial is:-
1.) Actuall fit the aerial it self.
2.) Next run the aerial cable thru the car to the radio/cd player(perferably covered by the hood lining).
3.)Connect the cable to the stero directly or with adapter.
4.) reconnect speakers, and then tune radio in.
5.) now just enjoy the tunes.

Is this how it would be done?

Manuel
27-08-02, 09:23 PM
hehe, relax boys; never let anyone intimidate you with their vocabulary!

You've got it spot on NOS388; it's pretty easy to do, dunno why you would have disconnected the speakers but anyway... If you're doing this to the commy (i'm assuming so) then its easy to run the aerial cabling underneath the headlining (no ghetto installs please!)

Pull off the headlining surround from one of the rear door openings and then slightly loosen the headlining around there. Cut a tiny hole in the headlining centre; try to do this underneath the black window surround. Feed the cable through the hole and across the top of the rear windscreen to the door opening where u removed the surround, then run it down towards the rear of the dash whichever way u choose (i ran it down the centre pillar and along the sill).

I have to admit, i tired of it pretty quickly, mine was for a car kit though.

NOS388
29-08-02, 08:42 PM
The reason for wanting the rear widow mounted aerial, was that I just hate the guard mounting position.

NOS388
02-09-02, 05:38 PM
Is there any truth in what Tek said, about the reception short comings of these types of aeriels?

NOS388
06-09-02, 10:01 PM
Any one, wish to come forward to plea the case of "Rear widow mounted aerial failures".

Manuel
08-09-02, 07:39 PM
You know NOS388, I bought a new guard aerial from Supercheap (of all places) for the commy and now my reception is great even with the aerial all the way down.

I guess I rarely listen to the radio, but i do listen to the weather reports

NOS388
13-09-02, 06:10 PM
Well just goes to show, just because it's cheap dosn't mean ya gonna get ripped off.

NOS388
24-09-02, 07:26 AM
i can get rear widow mounted aerial cheaply at super cheap, so thats good.