PDA

View Full Version : Two Pack Paint - effects?

ex-static
30-09-02, 12:36 PM
Hrm.. We sprayed my bodykit parts on the weekend with two pack paint, the garage was reasonbly well ventilated, but only one of us had the mask on at a time.. :rolleyes:

Now just a quick q, as to are there any side affects of inhaling two pack paint for short stints of time? If so, what are the symptoms? I heard it can be quite dangerous.. It was saturday when we painted.. so if one of us were poisened or affected by the paint.. would we know by now? How can we tell?

Cheers..

ex

tandy ass
30-09-02, 12:37 PM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=isocyanate+%222+pack%22+respiratory

UNR34L
30-09-02, 12:40 PM
haha no you'll be alright, my dads a spray painter and ive only seen him use a mask about 10 times in my life (careless, and a bit irresponsible, but ehh), and we've always stood around while things are being painted, just dont do it alot, the long term affects are what you have to worry about.

ex-static
30-09-02, 12:43 PM
Thanks Bozz, cant really find anything there except for prevention, and sales..

Unreal.. yea it was a once off.. does he use two-pack?

someone told me to drink alot of milk..

anyone else got any feedback?

tandy ass
30-09-02, 12:47 PM
I'm about to use 2 pack today and throughout the week and what I've researched boils down to the isocyanates causing respiratory problems and dermetitis and sensitisation.

If you're affected you'll suffer asthma like symptoms, skin rashes and nausea.

Sensitisation causes your body to have an increases sensitivity to the chemicals so next time you're using them or come in contact with them, the symptoms will be much worse.

Dermatitis is self explanatory.

Cheers.

UNR34L
30-09-02, 12:47 PM
yeah 2pac, he's been a professional painter for 40 years now, and he's fine :) dont worry

tandy ass
30-09-02, 12:50 PM
ex-static did you have much fallout from the painting around the garage? Did you use a proper compressor and spraygun? What pressure did you use?

Was the fallout a dust like fallout or was it still wet and adhered to various things like garage doors, floor etc?

gat5rodeo
30-09-02, 12:51 PM
duuuh, i i've beeeen paintiiiing f f f for years with with without a masssk and and it hasn't afffffected me won bit:p :D

nah man, you'll be right, just don't make it a regular thing

ex-static
30-09-02, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Bozz
ex-static did you have much fallout from the painting around the garage? Did you use a proper compressor and spraygun? What pressure did you use?

Was the fallout a dust like fallout or was it still wet and adhered to various things like garage doors, floor etc?

It was like dust..

Robbo
30-09-02, 12:57 PM
a mate whos a spray painter told me of this one guy who died from it. because the 2pack hardened in his lungs..

if your still alive now.. she'll be right :D

yeah. i've painted 2 pack a fair few times without a mask and im right.. (aparantly :D)

ex-static
30-09-02, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by gat5rodeo
duuuh, i i've beeeen paintiiiing f f f for years with with without a masssk and and it hasn't afffffected me won bit:p :D

nah man, you'll be right, just don't make it a regular thing

hahanah I wont, dont worry I've put worse shit into my body than 2 pack paint.. hehe

tandy ass
30-09-02, 12:59 PM
http://www.paintdirect.co.nz/ms_ceram_940_harden.htm

Theres some more info

I'm going with a charcoal filter mask. Hopefully I'll be right :)

Apparently the levels of Isocyanates that are harmful are well below the amount you can sense by smell.

ex-static
30-09-02, 01:01 PM
Another quick one for you 2 pack pros..

I hope I havent stuffed up te ratios.. I was told 2 pack was a 2:1 ratio of hardner to paint.. so that means 2 parts hardner to 1 part paint?

And then 10-20% thinners?

Now the guy at the paint shop gave me Basecoat thinners to mix with the 2 pack paint, whcih I found strange, but didnt question it as he seemed like he knew what he was doing..

Weird thing is.. this time, the paint is taking ages to dry.. its touch dry, but still feels a bit sticky.. almost as if it isnt hardening?

I figured it could be the shocking weatehr we are having, and gets pretty cold, but youd think itd dry overnight?

have I done something wrong? or, do I have to spray again?

*shrugs*

Screech
30-09-02, 01:06 PM
I asked my doctor this question.

He said "The body will fix itself up."

Screech
30-09-02, 01:15 PM
Ex-Static,

The directions and recomended thinner/reducer are writen on the back of the paint tin.

The directions and recomended hardener are writen on the back of the tin.

Failure to read the instructions, or listening to the salesman, will garenttee a Fu(ed up paint job.

ex-static
30-09-02, 01:23 PM
Paint looks great.. just takign its sweet time to dry.. haha

i'll give it to the end of the week if its still sticky, well ill have to start again.. heh

Screech
30-09-02, 01:34 PM
Paint looks Great

It looks like a good sighn.

1.Keep the car away from the sun, or the surface will dry, trapping the thinners, causeing pin hole bubbles later on in the paint.

2. Cross your fingers.

Next time use the proper reducer/thinner.

Motormouse
30-09-02, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by ex-static
Paint looks great.. just takign its sweet time to dry.. haha

i'll give it to the end of the week if its still sticky, well ill have to start again.. heh

Good luck! Had similar thing happen once with bog. Spent ages smoothing it in, and shaping it, but I didn't put enough hardener in and I finally had to admit defeat when it hadn't dried two days later! Hate having to do a job twice.

I always, always, always wear a good mask when painting with 2pac. It only takes a second to put on, so why risk it?

I've got this trikky measuring ruler thingy that you stand in the mixing jar and it shows exaclty the amounts of reducer, clear, hardener you need. Get yourself one, they're really useful.

ex-static
30-09-02, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Motormouse

Good luck! Had similar thing happen once with bog. Spent ages smoothing it in, and shaping it, but I didn't put enough hardener in and I finally had to admit defeat when it hadn't dried two days later! Hate having to do a job twice.

I always, always, always wear a good mask when painting with 2pac. It only takes a second to put on, so why risk it?

I've got this trikky measuring ruler thingy that you stand in the mixing jar and it shows exaclty the amounts of reducer, clear, hardener you need. Get yourself one, they're really useful.

Yea the guy at the shop gave me one, and thats what I used and didnt flinch, but since its taken so long to dry, I wasnt sure. Ill see what its like when I get home tonight, it should be ok .. hopefully.. just might take longer to dry.

It looks great, so I can wait a couple of days for it to dry properly so I dont have to do it again (fingers crossed)

Its sitting in my garage out of the sun, and out of the way of anything, so it should just slowly dry by itself..

the weather has been cold for the past 2 days here.. so possibly that could be the cause of it taking ages to dry? do you think i'll have to spray them again? will it ever dry? hehe

tandy ass
30-09-02, 04:20 PM
I just painted my car's undercoat (or primer putty if you will) and the two pack took about 5 minutes to form a skin and about 15 minutes to be dry that a fingernail wouldn't affect it; this is opposite to the acrylic which took seconds to dry....

Will let you know how I go with the basecoat in a few days.

Cheers

Kangz
30-09-02, 05:11 PM
Isocynates are pretty nasty. Cancer is the big one.

I would never spray without a mask and suit, ever. That's just insanity.

toy_R32
30-09-02, 06:34 PM
1- Wear a mask whilst spraying any 2 pack that has the hardener in it. ( Metallic base coats that only have the reducer will be o-k, just not the clear )

2- If it is a solid colour, wear a mask ( It will have hardener) Get my drift?? ;)

3- 2 pack is meant to be baked. The hardner forms a chemical reaction with the paint that is sped up by heat... ie- an oven, don't fret if its not drying super quick, especially in cold weather. Don't buff it, (if you have to, ie- bits of shit stuck in it you want out) for at least a couple of months. Let it harden properly.

4- I love working in a crash repairers with a booth ;)

Steve ;)

TimboR33
30-09-02, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by green_et
1- Wear a mask whilst spraying any 2 pack that has the hardener in it. ( Metallic base coats that only have the reducer will be o-k, just not the clear )

2- If it is a solid colour, wear a mask ( It will have hardener) Get my drift?? ;)

3- 2 pack is meant to be baked. The hardner forms a chemical reaction with the paint that is sped up by heat... ie- an oven, don't fret if its not drying super quick, especially in cold weather. Don't buff it, (if you have to, ie- bits of shit stuck in it you want out) for at least a couple of months. Let it harden properly.

4- I love working in a crash repairers with a booth ;)

Steve ;)

5- and I hate the fact Im a lazy bastard and havent got my car to ya yet for some spaying!! lol I still havent finished working on the bar.. but im sorting that out as we speak (i type??) so hopefully soon... (I did say hopefully) :D

toy_R32
30-09-02, 08:12 PM
LOL @ Timbo

You slacker, hurry up and get your self down here ;)

BTW, my mate and his work mate want their mobiles back ;) LOL, (just a friendly kick up the arse ;) )

Steve

Lennerman
30-09-02, 08:20 PM
I have always been a big fan of 2 Pack and his works, but I must say I'm more of an old school NWA fan.:D

toy_R32
30-09-02, 08:26 PM
ROTFLMAO! What about snoop?
/me winks

7HEAVN
30-09-02, 08:28 PM
You will be fine just don't make a habit of it . The only way to be full protected when spraying 2-pac paint is to be hooked up to a fresh air supply , there is no mask that blocks out all the icocynate in 2-pac. It is known to cause skin diseases , respitory problems and cancer.

Mr57Ltr
30-09-02, 09:41 PM
just talked to a profeser ...i've got bad news....

YOUR GUNNA DIE:D :p :D

Rz
30-09-02, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by ex-static
Another quick one for you 2 pack pros..

I hope I havent stuffed up te ratios.. I was told 2 pack was a 2:1 ratio of hardner to paint.. so that means 2 parts hardner to 1 part paint?

And then 10-20% thinners?

:wtf:
that dosent sound right.

Motormouse
01-10-02, 09:13 AM
Did it dry?

If not try another clear coat with heaps of hardener in it . This should react with the coat underneath and dry it.

Just spray it on very lightly, and you should be OK.

ex-static
01-10-02, 10:41 AM
Yep, It dried fine! Looks great, actually, looks ALOT better than I expected.. I thought black would be a bitch to paint with..

..and I feel a million dollars today..
as with the cancer thing, well everything these days cause cancer.. unfortunatly..

Now I just gotta fit the damn things :)

Mr57ltr... THANKS YOU ARE SO HELPFUL... :gay: