PDA

View Full Version : R32 GTS-t -Vs- R32 GTR

McVLt
24-06-03, 10:54 PM
Hey

I currently have R32 GTSt 4 spots on the front end of my car(HR31 passage), i also have 5 stud wheels due to a previous conversion.

i am just wondering if R32 or R33 GTR brake will fit in place of these? are they any wider? cuz there is about 5mm clearance between the NISSAN calliper and my mags...

Also dumb easy question.. what brake pads would be best to use?

and when i touch the brake lightly after a 100km/h+ run the front end gets shakey as if the discs are warped? then when i apply more pressure the shakeyness goes away... what could be goin on... this doesnt happen at speeds Under 100km/h

thanks
Dave

GTSBoy
25-06-03, 10:54 AM
The GTR calipers will fit on if the GTSt ones do. They are basically the same width.

The brake pedal shakes are caused by pad material deposition onto the rotors. I find that giving the brakes a workout similar to what you have to do to bed them in is helpful. You need to go out to your favourite road loop where you can drive at a full range of speeds, and give the brakes a bit of a workout. Brake moderately from 100kays or so a number of times without too much cool down between to get them fairly warm, then while they are warm, just drive the car around so that you need to use a fair bit of brake into corners and so on. This basically gets the disc and pad surfaces happy with each other. Then drive around much more gently to cool them off gradually.

You may have to do this sort of treatment from time to time, because driving in traffic is not always good for stopping the deposition from happening. In traffic you tend to brake fairly heavily on cold rotors then stay stationary for a minute of so. Not good for brakes.

Pads are a different story. What is your expected usage? Street only? Insane speeds on the street all the time? Regular track sessions? Occasional track sessions?

My R32 is really only driven on the street, and mainly in traffic, so I have chosen to use Ultimates on it, because you don't want a pad that takes warming up before it's useful, and I find the Ultimates don't deposit much material on the rotor. They are bloody dusty....but that's life isn't it?

cheers

McVLt
25-06-03, 12:15 PM
Thanks GTSboy

its a daily driver that gets taken to willowbank sometimes. So i think ultimates are the way to go to.

Thanks for the explanation

Dave.

Trevor@BDA
27-06-03, 01:42 AM
The 32 GTR and GTS calipers are made for different rotors.
Have you had the rotor looked at by a brake shop to check run out??
As far as pads are concerned - there are a number of better pads for a Nissan to be charging down the straight at Willowbank and trying to stop with.
You can buy some VERY decent intermediate pads which will stop you when cold and also cope with a Willowbank main straight stop easily
Regards
Trevor @ BDA

McVLt
27-06-03, 03:32 PM
hi trevor,

what sort of brake pads would you recommend ?

do you know off hand if there is an real physical size between the GTSt and GTR calipers ? i would assume there is but cannot be certain

Thanks for the info.
Dave

GTSBoy
27-06-03, 03:47 PM
Dave,

The GTR rotors are 2mm thicker than the GTSt ones, and the caliper is bigger by the same amount, but adds up to no more than 2mm wider. I have less than 5mm clearance behind my stock R32 wheels to the GTSt calipers, and I know from experience that the GTR ones fit behind those wheels.

Trevor, I am also interested to know what you ropinion on a good street pad would be (bearing in mind that I won't pay lots and lots for street pads).

cheers

Trevor@BDA
27-06-03, 03:52 PM
The rotors are the same between R33GTST and the first (non Brembo) GTR32. The GTS 32 had a smaller rotor.
The calipers are listed as different in the parts system. Unless I had some GTR32 calipers in the shop to compare to the GTST calipers, I couldn't be precise as to the physical dimensions - AND I tried to source some GTR32 calipers today with no luck.
There is a large range of pads available for the 4 piston Sumitomo calipers. These range from factory to Bendix, Race Brakes, Ferodo, Endless, Galfer, Pagids, Hawk, etc.
One of the best value for the money is the Race Brakes RB74 as it does a better than reasonable job as a lowish price - between $170 and $200.
However, if you are going to get serious and don't mind swapping pads between road and track there are even better pads. Depends on whether you want to spend $120 or $400.
Regards
Trevor @ BDA

Trevor@BDA
27-06-03, 04:07 PM
Hey there GTSBoy
I meant that the 32GTS and GTR calipers are different.
However, as you say, the 33GTS rotor is 2mm thicker than the 32GTR rotor - we have been caught with before in an import 33GTS which had GTR32 calipers fitted ex Japan and we had to machine the 33 rotors to fit the smaller thickness calipers.
As far as road pads are concerned Bendix Ultimates are an OK pad, as is Ferodo 2000 and Race Brakes RB156 and some other performance road pads.
I don't believe that any of these pads are really suitable for any extended track use.
However, having said that the Gemini series in QLD uses Bendix Ultimates exclusively - but that is more a case of a control pad to suit the pocket of the budget minded racers.
Regards
Trevor @ BDA

Trevor@BDA
27-06-03, 04:10 PM
GTSBoy
I meant that the 32GTS and GTR calipers are different.
However, as you say, the 33GTS rotor is 2mm thicker than the GTR rotor - we have been caught before with an import 33GTS which had GTR32 calipers on it ex Japan and had to machine the 33 rotors to fit the smaller thickness calipers.
As far as road pads are concerned Bendix Ultimates are an OK pad, as is Ferodo 2000 and Race Brakes RB156.
I don't believe that these pads are really suitable for any extended track use.
However, having said that the Gemini series in QLD uses Bendix Ultimates exclusively - but that is more a case of a control pad to suit the pocket of many of the budget minded racers.
Regards
Trevor @ BDA

slip
28-06-03, 10:54 PM
McVLT - why would you bother going for such a small upgrade? the gtr/gtst hardware is pretty similar size wise.

Ive got 32 gtst front rotors/callipers on my aussie 31, with 32 rear callipers over big rotors on the back, which Trevor did. If you arent satisfied with your current setup, i would think you should probably find an upgrade that is more than 2-5mm bigger than what you have now.

Are you worried about fade, outright stopping power, modulation on the limit....?