PDA

View Full Version : Recommended engine builders - Melbourne

FASTVP
04-09-03, 02:38 PM
I am after recommendations for decent engine builders in and around Melbourne, to build the 355 for my VP.
This is a custom build, so RPM won't do!

I have already talked to Haddad, COME and Flowcraft. So far, COME seems to be the best deal.

Any others worth talking to?

xb351
04-09-03, 10:29 PM
Wouldn't trust flowcraft as far as I could throw them. A mate of mine put in some heads to be setup for screw in studs. Flowcraft drilled into the water jackets. A total bastard to seal and the seal being non-permanent. Every set of heads I've seen setup for screw in studs has never been drilled into the water jackets.

Ask for you engine rebuild. Have you tried Pavtek. http://www.pavtek.com.au

Brenden

meggala
05-09-03, 02:16 AM
I will tell you one thing C.O.M.E build a good strong reliable motor they have the development to back it up and are very smart guys. you wont go wrong getting your motor from them it wont be cheap but then quality never is. I have known them for over 20 years you wont be dissapointed..and they wont promise what the can't deliver.
a mate is getting a motor from them it is just finished over 400 hp.
should be wicked I cant wait to go for a spin in it.
meggala

FASTVP
05-09-03, 08:46 AM
xb351: Thanks, I'll ring Pavtek this morning and see how it goes.

I was pretty impressed with COME when I last talked to them, Sam and Izzy are very approachable. It's just a pain I live on the other side of the city from them now.
Definately not the cheapest, but as you say, you get what you pay for.

gtst4
05-09-03, 10:25 AM
Have a chat to the boys out at Crankshaft Rebuilders (Blackburn). I just know of them, not really sure how good they are.

Roadsailing
05-09-03, 12:31 PM
just go with a decent one, money spent is money saved. i'm sure you will recall my experience with buying springs "on the dodge", much better to pay for it once.

and hurry up!

by the way, when you wanna do the compy thing? i need to buy some DVDRs to get initial D.

FASTVP
05-09-03, 12:47 PM
All resources are being directed towards the engine at the moment, Will, so everything else has to wait!

At this stage, it's looking like COME will get the guernsey. I'm going to be a pauper for a while though!
COME are one of the few that can actually Kalmaker reprogram the chip. Most of the others require you to get it reprogrammed elsewhere - obviously at additional cost. So the COME package starts to look pretty good then.

Roadsailing
05-09-03, 01:32 PM
unless they can re-progam your chip at minimal cost, i strongly suggest you go for aftermarket management. from what i have read in here, they arent really suited to big boost applications, and once again, you are better off spending money just once.

having said that, what i read was "from a forum" (no offence PF community) and there were a few arguments supporting kalmaker, id say you have done more homework on management than me.

get an autronic or something, i think they are cheaper and less hassle to tune than re-flashing your delco.

good luck, and get back to work! hahaha

meggala
05-09-03, 02:02 PM
COME were one of the first if not the first to use kalkmaker. fast vp you will have no issues "shineybuesteel i dont thing boost will be on fast vps agenda.

cheers

Nero
05-09-03, 02:38 PM
give berryman heads a call, he used to do the work for perkins. Moorabin way.

FASTVP
05-09-03, 02:39 PM
Yeah, I'm quite sure the Kalmaker will be fine. As meggala pointed out, COME use it, as do Haddad's. I don't think that it is holding them back...
meggala: Boost is on the agenda (hence the 8.2:1 compression), but not straight away. Even then the existing chip will be able to be reprogrammed - a la Judge.

oldenholden64
05-09-03, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by xb351
Wouldn't trust flowcraft as far as I could throw them. A mate of mine put in some heads to be setup for screw in studs. Flowcraft drilled into the water jackets. A total bastard to seal and the seal being non-permanent. Every set of heads I've seen setup for screw in studs has never been drilled into the water jackets.

Ask for you engine rebuild. Have you tried Pavtek. http://www.pavtek.com.au

Brenden

im getting my engine machined by pavtek. told there really good, and the price they gave me was alot cheaper than anywhere else

meggala
05-09-03, 05:25 PM
meggala: Boost is on the agenda (hence the 8.2:1 compression),

I'll book your place in larundel now ok! :)

FASTVP
06-09-03, 10:41 AM
Is Larundel a psychiatric hospital? That's all Google can find, anyway!

Well, now it has to happen ASAP. My water pump seized on the drive home last night (luckily not too far from home - but it spent the night parked at a servo).
I've decided it's not going back on the road until it has an extra 800cc's displacement.

I'm dropping in to see COME and Berryman on Monday. I'll make a decision after that.

meggala
06-09-03, 10:47 AM
yes fast vp google is your friend :D.
sorry bout your motor
the only other one I can think of but I think he even charges more than COME is Tate ?

and yes I do have a dark past owned a vh goroup 3 for quite a while

tandy ass
06-09-03, 11:09 AM
I've had stuff done by Berryman Engineering in Moorabbin too, I highly recommend them.

They're just off Chesterfield Rd near Keys Rd.

FASTVP
06-09-03, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Bozz
They're just off Chesterfield Rd near Keys Rd.

I've probably driven past them a million times then. I have mates who live near there, and I used to live in Murrumbeena.

I spoke to them yesterday, and they were pretty keen on the project, and very helpful.
Will see what they come up with on Monday.

SLE355
06-09-03, 01:58 PM
Did you speak to Pavtek?

FASTVP
06-09-03, 02:44 PM
Yeah I did. They aren't a hell of a lot cheaper than COME, once I mentioned custom compression.
And they can't remap the chip themselves, so I have to get that sorted after the engine is built.
COME do it in house, and Berryman use Peter Starr.

Paddington
06-09-03, 07:49 PM
I have dealt with Pavtek on a non engine related issue and even though I couldnt help them out, they were a very professional company to work with and very quick in responding.

DrNick
09-09-03, 07:31 PM
I can tell you who not to take your engine to! ;)

Good luck Daniel, hope you do a heap better than me. On the up side I have found a second hand motor for mine, should be up and running next week sometime. But it come at a large cost...

S

FASTVP
10-09-03, 06:33 PM
Thanks Sean, I hope so too.
Still making my mind up what to do. I can get a bullet proof engine built for roughly the insurable value of my car, or I can drop a few things like forged pistons, upgraded conrods, roller rockers etc and save some dough.
That might end up costing me more later on down the track though.

Damn cars.

DrNick
10-09-03, 08:20 PM
Do it right Daniel, trust me!

S