PDA

View Full Version : A newbie wanting a bike

Newbie Biker
21-09-05, 11:24 PM
Just wondering I'am a beginner looking to go for my learners liscense.. I'm 23 and around 5'9" or 5'10" and weigh 70kg , just wanting advice on what bike to get and around the price range I would be looking at

Thanks

womblesti
22-09-05, 10:10 AM
Just wondering I'am a beginner looking to go for my learners liscense.. I'm 23 and around 5'9" or 5'10" and weigh 70kg , just wanting advice on what bike to get and around the price range I would be looking at

Thanks

R1, ZX10?? :)

Seriously tho, What type of bike are you interested in? Dirt bike/road bike.

What do you plan on doing with it? Would it be your daily transport?

Womble

Newbie Biker
22-09-05, 11:21 AM
A road bike and yes it would be daily transport

Newbie Biker
22-09-05, 11:26 AM
I wouldnt mind one of those but I doubt a learner is allowed one. 1996 KAWASAKI ZX7R NINJA

crx2gen
22-09-05, 11:45 AM
Go look at a VTR250 or something of that ilk, and flog it off after a year if you feel like you need something bigger.

tlr2nv
22-09-05, 12:10 PM
A secondhand GPX250 is a good place to start. Everyone I know with a babyblade (CBR250R) or RGV250 has crashed. A GPX250 will have the get-around you're looking for, and keep you out of trouble. Expect to pay over $2,000 for a second hand one up to $4,000, or about $6,000 new.

Newbie Biker
22-09-05, 12:13 PM
Is that a kawasaki ninja the GPX250?

tlr2nv
22-09-05, 12:13 PM
A VTR250 engine is based on the original VT250 engine. I went through 3 of those engines from simple normal riding. I don't believe Honda got it right in the end, but they had a problem with spinning bearings or breaking the "Y" valve rockers. For the money the GPX is a good place to start.

tlr2nv
22-09-05, 12:15 PM
Is that a kawasaki ninja the GPX250?

No, thats the ZXR250. Haven't heard much about them. But I'd put that bike in the same category as the babyblades ... too much for little experience.

edo
22-09-05, 12:41 PM
Late GPX's have ninja written on them too.

Shifty
22-09-05, 01:04 PM
An R1 or ZX10 will have you in hospital within 10 minutes... and a ZXR750 will have you in hospital as soon as you try to go around a corner (they're heeeeeeeeeeeavy and if you're only 70kg with no experience you'll really struggle).

Matey, get something cheap and little - either a GPX250 or ZZR250. Type either of those two names into google and they will bring up pics, then type either one into www.tradingpost.com.au and they'll bring up prices. Perhaps with your height you should consider something bigger like a GS500 or ER5 to be comfortable, but certainly nothing bigger or more powerful. You may well be able to ride something bigger than that but you won't learn how to ride properly on a big bike... and any lessons you learn will be learned the hard way.

Then, do your 'time' on it and upgrade to something 600-ish for a while... then get whatever you want.

dsmith
22-09-05, 01:32 PM
For what its worth, Im a dirt bike fan of ~13 years experience. The other day I got on a mates 10 week old Honda CRF450R (motocross 450 thumper). I dont know if its my lack of big sports bike experience, but fark me, it was fast, easily the fastest machine Ive ever driven. It could lift the front wheel pretty much whenever I cracked full throttle... on dirt. I got to ride it around for about an hour through numerous bush tracks, over some jumps and a bit of higher speed non-sealed dirt road stuff. It became pretty obvious to me that it was more than powerful and fast enough to satisfy my current and forseeable future riding needs, not to mention it could spit me off and kill me at the drop of a hat if I wasnt careful. I can only imagine how brutally fast an R1 would be. To all these idiots that think they need an R1 to go fast, I can only wish you the best of luck.

The result of my ride on the CRF450? Finances permitting, Ill be riding a used WR400 soon.

Shifty
22-09-05, 03:02 PM
I tend to agree - these things are track (or open road) toys and probably shouldn't be anything more. Even my 21-year-old GPZ had 115hp and was capable of over 240km/h... much more than that is just silly!

edo
22-09-05, 03:31 PM
dsmith, a new 400 traily is a monster...very cool bits of gear. litre sports bikes are the same...they do virtually the same thing as the traily but 100kph faster. So the 400 will stand on the back wheel in 3rd at 50kph, the thou will do it in 3rd at 150kph.

Oh, you can jump the traily much better but from the footage I saw the other night of the Isle of Man...no one told those guys not to jump road bikes.

Newbie Biker
22-09-05, 08:05 PM
What sort of kilometres should the bike still be okay at, they dont last as long as cars do they?

out_in_front
22-09-05, 10:21 PM
Watch out with the WR400's and the like, they are still competition machines - they are usually road registerable because some enduro's end up on public roads for a bit. These bikes will require regular maintinance - a lot more than say an XR400.

Shifty
23-09-05, 11:14 AM
There is a bit of a misconception about bikes. As they traditionally don't travel as many kilometers as cars (often only used on weekends when weather is perfect - example being my neighbour who has a 3 year old bike with under 4,000kms on it), people will poo-hoo a bike because it's got 60,000kms on the clock when in reality the thing is only just getting started and will last forever!

At the end of the day if it's well serviced a bike will just just as long as a car - just remember though that because of the "high kms" stigma a bike with anything approaching 100,000kms will be hard to on-sell later.

Just watch out for bikes that have been crashed or do not have good service histories.

Newbie Biker
26-09-05, 07:45 PM
What about a scooter?

Fatboy
26-09-05, 08:44 PM
You were going ok until that last post... :)

Scooters are like riding fat chicks - it's fun until your mates find out. You have been given great advice, get yourself a reasonable 250 and learn how to ride. Then and only then step up to something bigger and faster. This is the path i intend to follow - i'd have bought a GPZ or a VTR by now except the temptation to grab another dirtbike was just too strong !! :D

Dansedgli
26-09-05, 08:55 PM
Ive had a CBR 250 single R for about a year, Ive done 15000kms since January riding to and from work every day and I cant fault it. Its been severely neglected and was starting to complain and run shitty last week. New oil, plugs and a filter and she is as good as new!

I got it on the road for $2K too. I like it but want more go now. Im about the same size as you except a bit heavier.

Newbie Biker
28-09-05, 05:24 PM
Does Ducati make any 250's?

chino
29-09-05, 12:00 PM
They did, but you wouldn't want to be owning one unless you really love Ducatis.

tlr2nv
30-09-05, 04:45 PM
You were going ok until that last post... :)

Scooters are like riding fat chicks - it's fun until your mates find out.

I ride a TL1000R and have a CBR1000F turboed drag bike (and once owned many sports bikes, like an R1), but have fancied an Aprilia SR50 scooter lately :oh:

Does that mean I'm coming out of the closet? Should I buy a handbag to match? :rotflol:

Shifty, I saw an R1 put a 17 year old in the grave in less than 10 minutes. Killed himslef around the corner from my place. Complete waste of a beautiful R1 in the hands of a dickhead (no licence) :eek:

tlr2nv
30-09-05, 04:48 PM
Newbie Biker, don't worry about how people see you on a scooter (or any other bike). Scooters can be fun. And, afterall, it is about only you and your bike. If you care what others think of your bike, then your not enjoying the ride!

FoMoCo
21-10-05, 02:49 PM
Does Ducati make any 250's?

As you live in NSW you can get something bigger than a 250 that is still learner legal, NSW use the power/weight limit. I think it is 150kw per tonne and a max cc of 660 (see RTA website for approved bikes). So you might be able to get a 600 Monster or something. But like others have said start small and work your way up.

I hadnt riden for about 4 years and when I decided to get back on the bike I still opted for a ZZR250 as I wanted to build up my skills before getting something bigger. Having now upgraded to a CBR600RR I am glad that I did ride the ZZR for 18 months first.

As for the ZZR I could not fault it as a learner bike. It was even capable through the twisties, but I had to ring its neck. The GPX is just a cheaper version of the ZZR same engine. I have heard good reports about the VTRs too. On word of advise if you are going to be riding all year round you may want to look at something with fairings to offer some protection to the elements.

Maxy Max
31-10-05, 05:56 PM
I'm in the same kind of situation. I want to get a bike and a license around Christmas, and I'm looking for a street bike for less than $1500 that would be a good learner bike.
About the only thing I'm really looking for is one that looks good (like a ZZR250 or RS125).

I'm about the same height and weight as Newbie Biker as well. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Vicko
31-10-05, 06:41 PM
$1500 will buy you some decent gear.. then save up for a bike.

tlr2nv
31-10-05, 08:55 PM
Yes, get some bloody gear first :)

A bike is replaceable ... you're not.

vrmmmpshhh
31-10-05, 10:56 PM
got that right.. took me a while to get hooked up with some real gear.. Japanese bikers are very relaxed about gear.. commuters never wear them..

now that i have some proper stuff i feel so naked without them on, i know ifi fall off theres a bigger chance ill get striaght up and laugh it off. One of my college students wasnt so fortunate, he had a spill on a naked 400cc and his whole body is full of cuts and scars, he looks like a zebra now, but lucky to be alive.

FoMoCo
01-11-05, 09:00 AM
I must admit I thought $1500 would be enough for gear... wasnt I wrong. oh and that was at the prices you get when you buy a new bike, about $500 off all up I think.

I hate to add up what I have spent on gear, and some of it is getting to the point of needing replacing.

I did however recently get a leather jacket :-) I couldnt say no to $200 off :-)

tlr2nv
02-11-05, 09:12 AM
I know what you mean. I recently 'upgraded' my leathers to the Alpinestars SX-1 some months ago for $1850 (new, and at a discount), my lid cost me $840 (new, and at a discount), gloves for $120 (which I bought some months ago whilst in the UK, new), Dianese back protector for $150 (new), and Sidi Vertebrae boots for $300 (used).

Thats $3,260 in gear this year alone :( But I'm happy that I'm well protected. And "yes" I wear it at all times:

"I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!"

FoMoCo
02-11-05, 01:38 PM
"I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!"

hehehe yeah I have one of the Dianese back protectors too and I have quite a few people, both rides and non riders ask me if it works, my response, F&*# knows and I want to keep it that way :)

tlr2nv
02-11-05, 02:32 PM
:rotflol:
Amen to that!

Besides, I kinda like my gear looking good (with the exception of the knee sliders) :worship:

Shifty
03-11-05, 12:34 PM
I would easily have $4k of riding gear - full leathers, standalone leather jacket, summer/waterproof jacket, summer gloves, winter gloves, race/weekend gloves (x2), draggins (x2), race/weekend helmet, kickaround/everyday helmet, race/weekend boots, every day boots, back protector, the list goes on...

tlr2nv
03-11-05, 01:54 PM
Damn, I didn't think of the other gear I have.

I also have other gear myself which I could sum up another $2,000 (second and third lid, back protector, Rjays jacket (1 leather, 1 wet weather), Draggins, Bikers Club leathers, Diadora boots, gloves etc). Damn, its easy to just keep buying gear isn't it?

So there ya go! You can never be short on gear all you newbies.

Maxy Max
03-11-05, 04:48 PM
Crap... I knew gear would cost me a bit, but not that much!

Well, thanks for the advice, I'll take it, but could you also answer me on my question of a good begginers bike for around $1500. If I won't get anything for that price, tell me that I'm dreaming so I can come back down to earth (like I did with the gear!)

Thanks!

Mr Two
03-11-05, 08:04 PM
I would say at a rough guess unless you're gonna look at trail bikes you're not gonna find much unless you're willing to spend around $3k or more

tlr2nv
03-11-05, 08:31 PM
Max, check out ebay. There are some reasonable bikes for $1,200 to $2,000, but expect to spend money here and there as you get what you pay for. I bought a ZZR250 about a year ago for a mate for about $1,250 (not including shipping it interstate) and all it needed was a 'newer' set of carbs at $80 (something all ZZRs/GPXs could use) and it still runs really well from regular use. Another friend of mine also got a set of carbs for her GPX and it solved the problem. Sometimes these bikes go cheap on ebay because the seller doesn't know the problem can be fixed quite easily.

The gear prices listed above are for top top quality stuff. Most shops run specials or discounts on cheaper items and lids, so an Rjays jacket can be had for $300 and a lid for around $420 (Shark RSF). Anyways, this is your life we're talking about.

FoMoCo
04-11-05, 07:58 AM
ok so I just did quick calcs on what I have paid for all my gear... close to $4k..

And there is still more to come...

tlr2nv
04-11-05, 09:18 AM
Damn ... I thought I was bad.

FoMoCo
04-11-05, 01:05 PM
How cold does it get in winter in SA?

In canberra you basically have to have to complete sets of gear... one for winter one for summer :-(

tlr2nv
04-11-05, 01:49 PM
Our winters are reasonable. No where near as cold as Canberra or Melbourne (and I've visited the two in its cold times too). We get slightly warmer weather than Perth, but less the wind. Actually, think Sydney weather. :)