PDA

View Full Version : Subaru SVX rally car - aka the 2000SUX

dynomatt
12-12-06, 10:03 AM
OK...this will be close to the more weird cars on here.

It's a Subaru SVX that I've turned into a gravel rally car.

3.3l flat six, sounds pretty horn at 7200rpm, all wheel drive using the STi 6 speed, DMS 50mm suspension, all the usual rally stuff.

It's very much a work in progress, and needs heaps of development time.

At the end though, I'm hoping for a car that will hold its own amongst the current crop of 4WD rally cars...here's hoping.

Matt

rowdytoot
12-12-06, 10:08 AM
weirdness FTW... gunna do minidulla Matt?? I'm keen to have a lookysee..

Sir Revalot
12-12-06, 10:12 AM
Definitely weird. Dunno if it looks the part at that height (I personally like SVXs, but lowered with a nice set of rims) but kudos for going through with all the mods required to make it into a Rally car. Bet it does sound pretty awesome though!

dynomatt
12-12-06, 10:22 AM
Rowds...Minidulla? Depends on whether Tortfeaser and I can sort our respective Missus problems out. If that gets the tick, then sure, we'll be there.

If not, then probably not.

M

rowdytoot
12-12-06, 10:27 AM
we'll only be there if I sort out my job problem (as in lack thereof).. lets hope you and tort, and I sort our shite out and I get to hear the beast in full flight..

Rowds

dynomatt
12-12-06, 10:28 AM
It's a deal!!!

Oh, and everybody was referring to it as the "beast"...I prefer to call it the "injured puppy".

Thanks,
M

rowdytoot
12-12-06, 10:33 AM
done! :D

haha.... well I'm sure it'll grow up to be a beast... :p

Grunt
12-12-06, 05:02 PM
shit.. talk about random! awesome effort though!

dont these luxo barges weigh 1700ish?

7MA70
12-12-06, 05:15 PM
shit.. talk about random! awesome effort though!

dont these luxo barges weigh 1700ish?

I thought the same about the weight... wouldn't that make it harder to slide around on gravel?? Top marks for originality. How hard was the gearbox conversion? I thought these were all auto..

fro
12-12-06, 05:18 PM
Needs more cowbell. And roof vent, apparently.

dynomatt
12-12-06, 06:31 PM
Fro...roofvent mandatory...not so sure about the cowbell?

As to weight, once the luxo barge stuff comes out, it's not that bad. I'm hoping for about 1400-1500kg rally ready. That's in the league of the current crop of Evo's and WRX's.

The gearbox is a standard WRX box, bolts up, with standard WRX flywheel and clutch assembly...bless Subaru interchangeability (they must have learnt from Toyota or something). Crossmember requires some adaption, but otherwise, it's stock parts. Driveshafts, tailshaft all factory, no adaption required. Was a blessing.

Random indeed...but thought something different was necessary. From some early reports, it's one of the better sounding cars out there.

Matt

Blind_Goat
12-12-06, 06:41 PM
Haha awesome stuff 10/10 :D

postman
12-12-06, 06:43 PM
not the one than ran at noosa historic hillclimb I assume?

dynomatt
12-12-06, 07:39 PM
No, but tell me more...there's one that ran in Targa this year but it's white.

Is there another? I thought I was the only idiot!

M

thechuckster
12-12-06, 07:47 PM
i think i have a picture of the tailgate ofthe one at noosa showing the name - mostly beause the name confused me and i needed something to remind me... see, it worked.

matt: i thought you had a GT4 celica ? or do i have that way wrong.

Zac
12-12-06, 08:22 PM
Good grief! Jamx6 will have your head for this one.
What's the weight like now? Have you stripped out all the electrics?

Ben Wilson
12-12-06, 10:16 PM
Have you stripped out all the electrics?

A few too many judging by it's first event :D

BigMuz
13-12-06, 05:19 AM
If you get tired of this car, I have a pretty solid brick wall that you can beat your head against if you like. Probably be more rewarding :D

dynomatt
13-12-06, 05:35 AM
Cheers Muz. I'll let you know when I need it...may be soon.

Ben...smartypants.

Chuckster...yeah used to, sold it to a bloke in Toowoomba who's getting Terry to do his engine work.

Zac, Jamx6 should know about it but there was certainly some angst amongst the SVX obsessed.

Matt

Sport4
13-12-06, 07:09 AM
Very cool.

The 3.3 would have a decent amount of torque.

Euroboost
30-12-06, 09:41 PM
Well I suppose it's better then the Vortex. It was you who was toying with one a couple of years ago wasn't it?

dynomatt
31-12-06, 09:04 AM
Sure was...good memory.

Of course I was a bit naive to the fact that the modifications I was thinking of wouldn't have been eligible (and still aren't) for PRC...but never mind that!

However, with the movement within ARCOM of late, who knows, I might yet be able to go the 6 throttle bodies and extractors...

M

Nitephyre
03-01-07, 04:39 PM
that's pretty cool matt, and i bet it sounds sweet :)

also see you're not that far from me :)

Road_Terrorist
04-01-07, 12:10 AM
Good stuff, gets a bit boring seeing all the usual suspects in rallying sometimes.

dynomatt
18-06-07, 11:55 AM
I've got some updates...can a mod move this to the newly opened race/rally car section?

Thanks,
M

Coffin
23-06-07, 11:26 AM
This car is probably one of the hottest sounding cars I've heard in a ver long time .... and that was without the new engine hotness!

Ben Wilson
23-06-07, 05:18 PM
This car is probably one of the hottest sounding cars I've heard in a ver long time .... and that was without the new engine hotness!

If only they'd let us run the 6 throttle bodies, then we would have some spectacular noises....

Jamx6
05-08-07, 11:40 PM
Just saw this....

Damn, that looks good! Nice to see one being driven in anger

Had to smack myself stupid not to buy a yellow one that was for sale here...but had 178,000 MILES!!! I cannot believe how rapidly UK cars pile on the miles compared to back home.

Will definitely be coming to Canberra to pay homage and make offerings when I am next back!

Cheers

James

Bogan
06-08-07, 02:42 AM
Dyno did you make the scales at RoC? What was the verdict? Corner weights?

dynomatt
06-08-07, 08:45 AM
With me and Tortfeaser in it?

We made the scales (didn't make much else).

From memory it was 1400 something. The GT4 was 1400 and most of the current crop of Group N's are over 1400 too. Weight split was about 65:35.

So whilst it's no lightweight, it's in good company.

There's more weight to be removed for sure...but the P5 weight limit is no threat...1230kg.

M

arcane
06-08-07, 01:41 PM
Nice work... but what were Subaru thinking with those windows? :w: