PDA

View Full Version : Holden TS Astra- Coil Pack Help

Mike V
03-02-09, 07:44 PM
I have a piece of shit Holden TS Astra; I think it is a 2000 model (could be a 99 or an 01).

It is showing an Engine Check light and idling and running a bit rough.
Intermittently it runs quite rough, like a cylinder is dropping out.

I took it to a dealer and they said that it was giving two error codes of bad coil pack and bad O2 sensor.

They suggested cleaning the throttle body, if that didnít work then changing the coil pack, then if that didnít work changing the O2 sensor.

I cleaned the throttle body, which was dirty, but not that bad really.
In the process I found that the air filter was very, very dirty.

I changed the air filter and the car ran perfectly for a couple of months, but is back to running rough again.

Iím thinking about changing the coil pack.

Any advice on if this is a good idea?

Is the coil pack easy to change?

It seems to be held in by Torx bolts.

Does it just lift straight off?
Do you need any special tools (apart from the Torx socket)?

Aaron
04-02-09, 05:52 AM
Surely the 02 sensor is cheaper than the coil pack?

Do cheapest possible first ?

A.

MickyD
04-02-09, 07:50 AM
I had EXACTLY the same problem and it turned out to be a cracked spark plug. 4 new plugs later and it was fixed....

ITS60S
04-02-09, 07:56 AM
a mate of mine's missus' astra had the same symptoms - turned out to be the ecu not the coilpack

Mike V
04-02-09, 08:32 AM
Thanks guys.

Sounds like I should do more investigation first.

Stevesv8
04-02-09, 08:47 AM
Priced a coil pack???

Take some lube with you or it will hurt.

rorge
04-02-09, 09:31 AM
Yeah it's almost like it's one of holdens scams. The coilpacks on these and the barina's of the same vintage pack it in more often than Fidel's cellmate!

Mike V
04-02-09, 11:31 AM
Yeah I have.
Hurts extra because I can't get trade prices either.

From looking on the internet, it looks like in the UK they had a recall of faulty coil packs on these cars, so I guess there was probably heaps of faulty ones in Australia that the owners had to wear.

tez
04-02-09, 05:55 PM
Is it still reading the same fault now though?

Either way, coil pack is dead easy, two or three torx screws and it just lifts off.
If it does need a replacement, then get it from the UK. Much cheaper than here.

http://www.autovaux.co.uk/LoadPortal.aspx?tabid=2 is a handy place if you have a Astra :)

Where in Syd are you located?

Mike V
05-02-09, 10:27 AM
I don't know about the error code because I can't read it.
It's still shows the engine check light.

I'm in Bondi.

Thanks for the link.

EvilChief
05-02-09, 05:52 PM
is it one of those coilpacks that are a one piece on top of engine? those coilpacks are not cheap, especially they have the igniter modules build in:
http://www.cyberspaceautoparts.com.au/index1.html
To suit Holden, Vauxhall and Opel Astra TS 10/98-11/00 engine code X18XE1, 4 cyl. 1.8L and 12/00-9/04 engine code Z18XE, 4 cyl. 1.8L
$297

if u have an led test light, it has a 5pin plug, 1x 12V charge and 4 trigger wires, u can test for signal to eliminate the ecu as possible factor.

and yes i had one of those stuff up on me before :)

oh and O2 sensor code can be a thrown when engine misfires, doesnt mean that O2 sensor is faulty, just means an irregularity is found (ie unburnt fuel in exhaust stream can throw O2 codes)

tez
05-02-09, 07:30 PM
Ive got a Ebay job tool that can scan codes and reset them if that helps. May or may not help you in diagnosing your problem.

FAT-DAT
05-02-09, 08:44 PM
unfortunately both the throttle bodys and coil packs pack up frequently on those shit boxes. the throttle body as a unit is fuckin expensive for memory.

I'd be finding someone with a TS and borrowing their coil pack for five minutes to make sure. But yeah, both common faults.

Mike V
06-02-09, 09:04 PM
if u have an led test light, it has a 5pin plug, 1x 12V charge and 4 trigger wires, u can test for signal to eliminate the ecu as possible factor.

Can you tell me more about this please as it wouldn't surprise me if it was the ECU.

Yeah, it is a one piece thing on the top of the engine.
To be honest I had to Google it to work out what it was, as I was expecting the coil pack to be a small box with HT leads coming out of it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I appreciate all the ideas as I have no idea really, but just hate being ripped off.

MAZMAN
07-02-09, 08:14 AM
You could always pull the coilpack off and have a looksy? you may find burn/arc marks around the stem of the leads, wich would indicate it was missfiring( ex: running rough ).

EvilChief
07-02-09, 01:25 PM
Can you tell me more about this please as it wouldn't surprise me if it was the ECU.

Yeah, it is a one piece thing on the top of the engine.
To be honest I had to Google it to work out what it was, as I was expecting the coil pack to be a small box with HT leads coming out of it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I appreciate all the ideas as I have no idea really, but just hate being ripped off.

buy a LED test light (regular test lights do not respons fast enough to trhe trigger signals) for around $15 from any automotive place.

connect the alligator slip to the positive terminal of ur battery, start car and then back probe one by one the 5 wires at the back of the plug. one wire will give u no signal as its 12V constant supply (i belive its the very right hand one), the other 4 will flash as the ignition signal comes through. if all 4 wires project a good and accurate signal (bright and equally rythmic signals) you can eliminate ecu and wiring as a possible source of the misfire.

as above mentioned you can visually inspect the coilpack as well, for arcing cracking in the resin on the back of the coilpack, as well as arcing marks on the stems of the coils. ultimately u can also get a sprak tester to test the output of the coils.

also please remember that the hold down bolts of the coilpacks double as the earthing points for the coilpack, so if you wish to test them without being bolted down, they will not charge unless you provide and alternative earth to their contact points.

Mike V
08-02-09, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the detailed info.

Off to purchase a test light and torx socket...

Last few days it has been running OK, but the Check Engine light remains and I'm sure the trouble will be back soon.

fat910
08-02-09, 04:10 PM
bite the bullet and get a new coilpack, ive replace 1,000,000 of these at work on Z18XE's its just a common thing.

Mike V
11-02-09, 12:55 PM
That's what is my current thinking.

I think I'll have a quick look at the spark plugs to make sure there is no obvious fault with the plugs and then just change the coil pack and be done with it.

Otherwise I think one day it's going to bite me on the ass i.e. the car will just die one day.

Thanks again for the ideas.

RB30-POWER
11-02-09, 03:23 PM
wonderful cars these, if it isn't the timing belt, it's the coil pack, if it isn't the coil pack, it's the ecu, if it isn't the ecu its the alternator, if it isn't the alternator it's the power windows, if it isn't any of those, it's something else.

honestly if you can own one of these and not get burnt financially, consider yourself very lucky.

samdumbert
11-02-09, 05:15 PM
ECU also fucks up on these things and displays the same symptoms. I would be checking if the coil packs are getting signal first.

bigmuz
11-02-09, 05:46 PM
Burn it and use the insurance money to buy anything but an Astra.

Captain_Slow
11-02-09, 08:38 PM
wonderful cars these, if it isn't the timing belt, it's the coil pack, if it isn't the coil pack, it's the ecu, if it isn't the ecu its the alternator, if it isn't the alternator it's the power windows, if it isn't any of those, it's something else.

honestly if you can own one of these and not get burnt financially, consider yourself very lucky.

I should get myself a lottery ticket...had mine for 5.5 years and 164k and practically nothing went wrong!

MickyD
11-02-09, 08:46 PM
I should get myself a lottery ticket...had mine for 5.5 years and 164k and practically nothing went wrong!

ditto, though it was 7.5 years, and about the same K's. About the only problem was the aforementioned cracked spark plug making it run rough, and a sticky ignition barrel which is a piss easy fix. The only reason we decided to get rid of it was that it got smacked (hard) in a car park and was never quite the same. That and mrs wanted an MX5 :)

Mike V
04-03-09, 08:57 PM
Just an update because I thought it rude not to reply after receiving so much help in this thread.

Changed the coil pack and just for good measure, the spark plugs also.

Seems to have fixed the problem, fingers crossed.

Yeah, the timing belt is another story for another day.

Ratwagon
05-03-09, 12:06 PM
Im having a similar nightmare with a 2000 Barina...engine light comes on randomly and just stalls anywhere for the hell of it..and the speedo stopped working...had some goose check the codes and he came up with something Ive never heard of before(quad driver module),and error 24 apparently speed sensor...changed speedo sensor and still have the problem...its frustrating the shit outta me

Is there anyone in Brissy with a scan tool,some brains and a couple of minutes to spare?