PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a mini spool to a Borgwarner diff

HoonBoy
15-02-09, 06:21 PM
So I've got a VR Commodore to throw at trees and other stuff besides the tracks at Hampton and a locked diff would be handy. How hard is it to fit the eBay mini-spools? I've got limited time before it's first outing and am trying to work out if I've got time to do this.

Gammaboy
15-02-09, 06:34 PM
2 hours work at a guess? Pull axles, pull back cover, undo bearing caps, drop ring gear/centre out (mind the spacers), undo cover plate bolts (memory is shakey, but i think these are separate from the ring gear bolts? If not, be aware that later BW diffs had left hand threaded bolts (I seem to recall some e-series dude mentioning this?)) bash cross pin out, remove spider gears and side gears, insert minispool, bash cross pin back in, reverse rest of procedure to re-fit.

HoonBoy
15-02-09, 06:39 PM
Sounds do-able, thanks! I'm off to eBay now...

MrBishi
15-02-09, 06:47 PM
Are the BW mini spools fitted to LSD or open centres? I think the 9" mini spools suit only the LSD centres so it may be something to check before leaping into a purchase.

Gammaboy
15-02-09, 06:53 PM
Are the BW mini spools fitted to LSD or open centres? I think the 9" mini spools suit only the LSD centres so it may be something to check before leaping into a purchase.
Dude. You're on drugs. They fit the open wheeler centres.

HoonBoy
15-02-09, 06:58 PM
There are some that only fit the LSD centres, I think they are for 10-bolt diffs. The borgwarner ones only fit open centres, which is perfect for this one.

BoganDAVE
15-02-09, 06:59 PM
Salisbury open diffs won't take a spool, BW ones do. I had a 25 spline minispool in my old VH, with a VL diff. I pulled the centre out of my vh but there was no way in hell I could get it back in, I ended up bending the spacers. I took it to a diff bloke, he didn't charge much, bolted the fucker back and it was skid central.

edit: beaten by a minute.

also, keysborough diffs sell all the bits and pieces for the BW, I am pretty sure I got my romac spool from them.

stumbles
15-02-09, 07:04 PM
as im lazy i had a place near my work do it for $250 supplied and fitted.

TD302
15-02-09, 09:21 PM
I'd go a full spool. The mini spool ate axles in my Cortina, only 25 spline though. Romac full spool and 31 spline moser axles fixed everything

HoonBoy
16-02-09, 09:40 AM
Full spool is way overkill for a stock VR V6. Mini-spool is on the way from eBay.

Jim
16-02-09, 09:50 AM
just in time for you to give up on the project! :lol:

who sells full floating gear for BW?

BoganDAVE
16-02-09, 09:52 AM

keysborough do, not sure if it is any good though.

HoonBoy
16-02-09, 09:55 AM

Note, VR V6, not VS V8 ;)

Jim
16-02-09, 10:02 AM
you have yet another car? :rotflol:

HoonBoy
16-02-09, 10:13 AM
ummm.... ummmm.... ummmm..... maybe....

Note the colour change of the Commodore in the Hampton thread ;)

greenhj
16-02-09, 10:23 AM
I think the 9" mini spools suit only the LSD centres so it may be something to check before leaping into a purchase.

FWIW, im pretty sure the two pin mini are fitted to open centres, whilst a factory lsd version will take a 4 pin.

Also, for anyone else, i think romac are no longer doing spools for anything, i know mcdonald bros have made/are making salisbury versions, perhaps they have BW parts too?

greenhj
16-02-09, 10:25 AM
full spool would have obvious strength/lower rotating weight benefits, but i only have a mini in my car, and its coped fine with the occasional thrashings it gets.

Gammaboy
16-02-09, 10:50 AM
FWIW, im pretty sure the two pin mini are fitted to open centres, whilst a factory lsd version will take a 4 pin.

Also, for anyone else, i think romac are no longer doing spools for anything, i know mcdonald bros have made/are making salisbury versions, perhaps they have BW parts too?
If we're talking about 9" minispools, the 4 pin spools fit the 4 spider gear equipped centres from 31 spline open wheelers - I had to source one for my Richmond Powertrax

greenhj
16-02-09, 11:01 AM
i stand corrected.

thanks...

RVK 355
16-02-09, 03:52 PM
afaik, the later VN-VR open wheel centers are also a 4 pinion.

MrBishi
17-02-09, 06:43 AM

Only the best! It was just something to check - it has been a while since I had anything to do with mini spools. Full or true trac for me from now on thanks.