PDA

View Full Version : Driving with a cast on your arm

edo
12-10-10, 11:53 AM
I busted my Scaphoid, so my right arm is in a cast. I cant grip or hold anything with that hand...so Im obviously not getting around on a pushy like I usually do.

So, Im driving, its an auto so my left hand can steer just fine & I wouldnt have given it any thought except a cop told me this morning that I shouldnt really be driving with a cast on my arm. So I wondered if its illegal or he was just being a concerned plod taking time out from raping harmless people for doing 2km over the limit?

It would be a total prick in a manual without power steering and I wouldnt bother trying.

Vicko
12-10-10, 11:58 AM
When did you do this ya muppet?

tim510
12-10-10, 12:00 PM
crank the air-con and wear a jumper?

BoganDAVE
12-10-10, 12:10 PM
illegal and you will be unisured

Nathan Tinkler
12-10-10, 12:16 PM
A real man would be texting, nursing a coffee, eating a big mac and giving the cop the finger with a broken arm, leg and three broken ribs.

milo
12-10-10, 12:26 PM
Just get a Steering wheel knob from Repco/SupaCheap........ Thats how people with 1 arm Drive!

Michael
12-10-10, 12:30 PM
youl kick yourself if you do have an accident. Though there are one armed legless drivers about. When I was in primary school old mates mum had no arms was driving with her feet.

DrNick
12-10-10, 12:32 PM

This.

Double check with your insurance co.

S

womblesti
12-10-10, 12:32 PM
[cool story]
My dad had polio when he was 2 years old and lost the use of his right arm.

He's been driving trucks and cars for 40 years with no modifications and doesn't have anything specific attached to his licence.

A few years ago he had a run in with an overzealous Vicroads cop wannabe in his truck and dog trailer and had to resit the tests. Passed driving the roadranger with no problems, nothing added to his licence to restrict him.

[/cool story]

Short version is I don't think it's an issue but may be state specific

Jim
12-10-10, 12:50 PM
It's Victoria. You're breaking the law just by owning a car.
But yeah afaik it's illegal without a doctors certificate or so on.

ITS60S
12-10-10, 12:52 PM
:lol:

did you give him the finger then say "im sorry, i hate it when it does that"?

KDog
12-10-10, 01:16 PM
I've done it before in a manual WB 1 tonner without PS, just do high speed parks and hope you don't miss.

I was never pulled over though so I'm not sure of the exact specifics (not that it matters anyway as a cop will fine you for anything they feel like as they tend not to be the most objective people).

takai
12-10-10, 01:28 PM
In SA its perfectly fine so long as you consider yourself to be in control of the car. I checked with the RTA and my doc when i broke my scaphoid a few years ago.

Chipper
12-10-10, 01:28 PM

Not quite right.

If you were going directly against the doctor's advice where they told you they will not certify you to drive a car, and you do, and that directly leads to an accident occuring, then you may be without cover.

If the doc has suggested it might be better not to drive, but hasnt specifically suggested it is against his orders, you will be fine.

P.S. How'd you break it you knob?

Chip

BoganDAVE
12-10-10, 01:43 PM
Not quite right.

If you were going directly against the doctor's advice where they told you they will not certify you to drive a car, and you do, and that directly leads to an accident occuring, then you may be without cover.

If the doc has suggested it might be better not to drive, but hasnt specifically suggested it is against his orders, you will be fine.

P.S. How'd you break it you knob?

Chip

A friend of mine, who broke her arm, was told in no uncertain terms, that if she was to drive with a cast it would be illegal, she checked with her insurer and they repeated the same message.

Was in QLD though.

psssi98
12-10-10, 01:47 PM
I reckon edo should cancel out any extra danger he may be in by wearing a full face helmet and race suit every time he drives. That way when you get pulled over you can point out the extra safety precautions you've taken. When he asks what about road users just say "what other road users?"

thechuckster
12-10-10, 01:54 PM
A friend of mine, who broke her arm, was told in no uncertain terms, that if she was to drive with a cast it would be illegal, she checked with her insurer and they repeated the same message.
what would an insurer know about illegal acts? a phone-muppet has no idea about the law except what their screen prompts tells them.

Chipper
12-10-10, 01:56 PM

Was in QLD though.

I hear you bloke, but, unless an insurer could suggest that the broken arm and lack of control this may induce directly contributed to the loss occuring, then they have little chance of declining a claim. Depends what happens I guess.

If edo was rear ended (not the type psssi98 likes), then the broken arm has nothing to do with it, illegal or not. If edo lost control of the car, hit something, it was established he was not able bodied enough to drive due to the cast, then, there may be an issue.

Just take em to the FOS edo, they don't like that :P

Chip

Chipper
12-10-10, 01:58 PM
what would an insurer know about illegal acts? a phone-muppet has no idea about the law except what their screen prompts tells them.

Clearly. I guess my cert 4 covering insurance law and regulation, a knowledge of the cotracts act and 14 years of experience means nothing.

P.S. Fuck you too.

Chip

edo
12-10-10, 02:01 PM
Im going to believe Chipper because, firstly his answer suits me and secondly he is my insurer:) and thirdly because now Ive waded through Vic roads website they say the same thing.

Neither the doc in emergency who fucked up the first cast, the other one who replaced it or the ortho surgeon said anything about driving...they all told me not to ride a bike though.

oh, 3 weeks ago now crashed pushy...they take the cast off in a month to see what they are gong to do next

devo
12-10-10, 02:04 PM
stop being gay. just ride your pushy one handed.

Cal
12-10-10, 02:05 PM
Im going to believe Chipper because, firstly his answer suits me and secondly he is my insurer:) and thirdly because now Ive waded through Vic roads website they say the same thing.

:h5:

Sebstar
12-10-10, 02:10 PM
In SA its perfectly fine so long as you consider yourself to be in control of the car. I checked with the RTA and my doc when i broke my scaphoid a few years ago.

Wonder if that arguement will work when you're powersliding around a corner, wearing a beer helmet and having your dick sucked by a midget circus performer.

"But officer, I was in control the entire time!"

psssi98
12-10-10, 02:13 PM
If edo was rear ended (not the type psssi98 likes),

Chip

Well hello there thailor when did you get in to town?

AJ-s15
12-10-10, 02:15 PM
I had this exact same situation this time last year after severing 2 nerves in my arm and being in a "Range of motion Cast". It is illegal despite being a pain in the ass. I choose to drive regardless because I needed to for work, but there were a few close calls where I could undersatnd the merit in this law.

edo
12-10-10, 02:26 PM
Yeah, it sucks & it does limit me if I was confronted with something I would normally swerve for...it would have to require a huge swerve though, for me not to be able to do it with one hand.
So I guess Im down there with 90% of drivers who just hit the picks with both feet and hope...lol

Fuck em, Id still back myself blindfolded with one hand against most drivers...

AJ-s15
12-10-10, 02:27 PM
Yeah, it sucks & it does limit me if I was confronted with something I would normally swerve for...it would have to require a huge swerve though, for me not to be able to do it with one hand.
So I guess Im down there with 90% of drivers who just hit the picks with both feet and hope...lol

Fuck em, Id still back myself blindfolded with one hand against most drivers...

Thats was my exact thought also.

Synthian
12-10-10, 02:28 PM
Busted my right wrist in a dirtbike stack when I was 18.

Drove a manual non-PS XE falcon wagon with wide tyres @~20psi the whole recovery time.

You learn a lot of tricks.

edo
12-10-10, 02:36 PM

Drove a manual non-PS XE falcon wagon with wide tyres @~20psi the whole recovery time.

Having flat tyres is a trick?

PS, auto, leccy everything is great for a temporary retard...window buttons in the console instead of the door would be nice though.

Greg Rust
12-10-10, 02:42 PM

Pumping up your tyres obviously wasn't one of them?

thechuckster
12-10-10, 02:45 PM
Chipper: was replying to BoganDave's comment not you - and the vicroads site (http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licences/MedicalConditions/LicensingAndDrivingForDisabledPeople.htm) suggests that it's doctor's advice that would affect your legal liability in case of an accident.

I also found this paper (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16768764) from Department of Orthopaedics, Gold Coast Hospital that looked at drivers with arms in casts - it concluded that...

a doctor's advice should be to patients not to drive in a long arm upper limb fracture cast and to consider concomitant patient factors when advising patients in short arm casts. Although we do not suggest that patients drive while wearing any cast, we have found a large proportion do. Our limited study has found that a young, fit and pain-free person may be able to drive well enough to pass a driving test while wearing a short arm cast.

edo
12-10-10, 02:50 PM
Id shit a driving test in...but I could have 4 bottles of red & pass that too

Synthian
12-10-10, 03:12 PM
Having flat tyres is a trick?

Learning to drive a manual with them is.

The tyres were down due to the time spent off road in the mud & sand. Was a rally bash coon saloon with mattress.

I was pretty meh about it at the time, but was a fair bit easier on the strong-arm steering with them eventually back to 35+

Mr Purple
12-10-10, 03:22 PM
Serious reply time.

I have the QLD Transport Guidelines for medical practitioners in front of me here, and it states:

"An applicant with an amputation, paralysis or deformity of the arm, who is able to demonstrate the ability to drive properly, can usually drive a car or taxi safely, provided it is equipped with automatic transmission".

Going by that I would have no problems issuing you with a certificate in QLD at least.

Go see your GP, get them to write you a letter saying it's fine, and carry it on you at all times. Should mean you're covered legally.

BundyBeej
12-10-10, 03:28 PM
Dude at work had a stroke, lost the use of everything on his left side. After rehab he was able to slunk around with a cane/crutch etc and he had to do a driving test again. He was no worse at driving than most 'able bodied' cunts are on the road today. He got his licence, but it had the provision that it must be auto. He got a steering wheel knob fitted for convenience.

Next cop that tells you that; ask him exactly what piece of legislation states the rule that he's just made up.

edo
12-10-10, 03:36 PM
The cop didnt actually say I was breaking a law, or that he was giving me a warning or anything...he just said "You shouldnt really be driving with a cast on your arm" through the window at a set of lights...didnt pull me over or anything. I'll take it as advice...and ignore it.

Im not going to go get permission in writing from a doctor, the regs dont even begin to require that. Ive seen 3 doctors & none of them mentioned anything so Im fine.

DCR
12-10-10, 03:43 PM
Basically if you had an accident and the cause was due to something you couldnt do due to having a cast on you would be in the poo. If someone ran into you and had nothing to do with you having a cast or not......you wouldnt be in the poo.......so to speak.

takai
12-10-10, 03:46 PM
Next time you see the ortho to see if the blood supply is fixing itself up (i assume its still early on) then just get them to write a letter at that point.

edo
12-10-10, 03:57 PM
Thats a month away...and the cast is coming off...and Im really hoping I dont need another one.

tim510
12-10-10, 04:00 PM
Basically if you had an accident and the cause was due to something you couldnt do due to having a cast on you would be in the poo. If someone ran into you and had nothing to do with you having a cast or not......you wouldnt be in the poo.......so to speak.

If you were to jam your cock into a chicks or tennis player's arse, you'd be in the poo.

HTH

platinum
12-10-10, 04:01 PM

Yeah that's what I assumed too, had a big mofo shoulder to wrist cast on and drive around for a few trips I had to make... carefully.

Had a quick one-handed test in a manual too, could be done one handed.. :w:

Shifty
12-10-10, 04:06 PM
I busted my Scaphoid, so my right arm is in a cast. I cant grip or hold anything with that hand...so Im obviously not getting around on a pushy like I usually do.

So, Im driving, its an auto so my left hand can steer just fine & I wouldnt have given it any thought except a cop told me this morning that I shouldnt really be driving with a cast on my arm. So I wondered if its illegal or he was just being a concerned plod taking time out from raping harmless people for doing 2km over the limit?

It would be a total prick in a manual without power steering and I wouldnt bother trying.

I would get a doctor's cert to say you are OK to drive.

Having worked in the insurance industry just a little... that's the first thing I'd be asking for if some spastic crashed their car because one of their arms wasn't working.

Cal
13-10-10, 12:49 PM

By that rational I could be driving along pissed as a fart and when some cunt drives into me, not be at fault at all?

Tripper
13-10-10, 01:16 PM
Im not going to go get permission in writing from a doctor, the regs dont even begin to require that. Ive seen 3 doctors & none of them mentioned anything so Im fine.

Since there is no such thing as common sense in a court of law you must be advised/told about it. since nothing has been said you will be fine in a court of law.

Matty
13-10-10, 01:48 PM
Thats a month away...and the cast is coming off...and Im really hoping I dont need another one.

while you'll certainly be fine with the law once the cast is off, you'll still need to drive sensibly for a few months. You'll have limited wrist movement and reduced strength til you get some physio done.

Synthian
13-10-10, 02:50 PM
Can agree with the above comment too. Mine was noticeably weak for a while.

edo
13-10-10, 02:58 PM
while you'll certainly be fine with the law once the cast is off, you'll still need to drive sensibly for a few months. You'll have limited wrist movement and reduced strength til you get some physio done.

Yeah, Ive been told I'll need several months after the cast comes off before I'll be doing much with that wrist.
Its seriously sucky

takai
13-10-10, 03:00 PM
Yeah, took me about 3 months before i could start riding DH again.

edo
13-10-10, 03:14 PM
oh, maybe I'll be able to ride dh after this then?

Must remember to ask the doc if I'll be able to play the piano...

oxy
13-10-10, 05:30 PM
What you need to do is get yourself a corvette and pull a skid out the front of Harry's diner.

p.s - Hey Lotec, I'd stay home on the night Edo plans on doing this