PDA

View Full Version : 13s for $1300. MA70 1JZGTE

2JZR31
08-02-11, 07:13 PM
Yes this was for sale on PF and other forums for 5K (we were the ones selling it). But just like Rogers car, no one wanted it and it was purchased for $1000. Guys on the forum that know us, will verify this is what we have been saying the car was purchased for since before the 13 for 13 sec was started. The purchase of this car had nothing to do with the 13 for 13 idea. It was purchased my my Brother Gary who just wanted to sell it for a quick buck and he didn't want to do much work on it, but when no one wanted it, it was easier to convince him to enter the challenge. The reluctance was also due to admitting it was purchased for $1000 which would hurt future sales.

Engine is 1JZGTE with R154. An auto would be quicker.

The thing didn't run right with a crap idle which no one could fix. That was a contributing factor to it selling so cheap. But without thinking of the 13 for 13 challenge he purchased an ECU for $100 which cured the prob. This sucked as Al would have given us one that he had ready for the rubbish tip. If funds get close we can race it with the fucked ECU as it only affects the idle.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/P1010547.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/P1010546.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/P1010545.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/P1010543.jpg

2JZR31
08-02-11, 07:26 PM
I fitted an FCD too so we can run as much boost as we like, it cost me $5 to make. The car has a stock JZA70 intercooler.

Al accidentally had like 20 x 1JZ turbo flange plates made and he gave us a couple and a 2 x 3" flanges. The rest of the exhaust was mainly rubbish that was going to be binned at my mates house Left over remnants of my R31 exhaust and his Aristo exhaust plus a 3" cannon left over from Garys soarer before he ran 2 X 2.5 exhausts. Confirmation of it being rubbish is in pics below :p. It literally cost us nothing and pretty much nothing of this would have been worth anything. So say $50?

Gary made some ghetto dump pipes with the flanges off Al. We then done the most dodgy 3" exhaust ever made from the rubbish pipe. We used a MIG welder that had run out of gas lol. Pics are hilarious.

We will clean it up a little and weld all the gaps when we get gas.

LOL

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/Cars/Image0056.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/Cars/Image0055.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/Cars/Image0053.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/Cars/Image0052.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/Cars/Image0051.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/Cars/Image0048.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/Cars/Image0050.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/Cars/Image0047.jpg

2JZR31
08-02-11, 07:31 PM
Are we allowed to borrow these?

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/Cars/MTDR.jpg

Monk
08-02-11, 07:55 PM
Nice price reduction. And nice work on the exhaust... :lol:

What time are you expecting to run actually? Just a 13?

60TJZ
08-02-11, 08:01 PM
these things run 13's stock.... this is in the bag JZ Styles
And the really stupid thing, once youv done your 13, sellt he motor and gearbox for 2.5k...ie profit

2JZR31
08-02-11, 08:02 PM
Nice price reduction. And nice work on the exhaust... :lol:

What time are you expecting to run actually? Just a 13?

We were the ones trying to sell it for 5K. I think the guy who sold it to my brother only asked 1.5K or something stupid. I think it will have the power to run low 12s. But with the manual it will probably just do 13s but with good MPH.

We were pissing our selves laughing when we made the exhaust. Minimal effort. Maximum gains. :D

2JZR31
08-02-11, 08:07 PM
these things run 13's stock.... this is in the bag JZ Styles
And the really stupid thing, once youv done your 13, sellt he motor and gearbox for 2.5k...ie profit

This had a NA 7M in it so it would have done a 16 :p The exhaust was still NA 7M. I was hoping with some paint etc someone might buy it for 4 or 5K or so.

Monk
08-02-11, 08:13 PM
We were the ones trying to sell it for 5K. I think the guy who sold it to my brother only asked 1.5K or something stupid.

I'm glad when you posted the ad that I couldn't convince myself that having a look at it was a smart idea then... haha.

2JZR31
08-02-11, 08:29 PM
I'm glad when you posted the ad that I couldn't convince myself that having a look at it was a smart idea then... haha.

In reality though. An item is worth what it is worth. What someone else paid for it should not change its intrinsic value. But in reality, it is going to piss people off when they know you are asking 5 times the price you purchased it for and they won't buy it in spite. The whole retail world is based on buying shit for X and selling it for heaps more.

Sketchy
08-02-11, 09:12 PM
I have some extra pics and short vids to ad to this build once I find time to chuck them up. Will be very intersted to see how this comes together. Has the potential to look the tits with a flat black paint job and the new wheels Gary picked up. Do it. :)

floody
08-02-11, 10:52 PM
Not flat black...do olive drab!

TJ
09-02-11, 12:34 AM
Reminds me of my Cressida exhaust - whats a cat and mufflers?

Mine was hks loving though - it will be fucking loud!

OKE020
09-02-11, 05:23 AM
Damn it :) love the exhaust, easy 13s with minimal effort

Mike Lowrrryyy
09-02-11, 07:24 AM
Are we allowed to borrow these?

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/Cars/MTDR.jpg
Sure..
What are we going to call the value of a set of et's? 300??

Mr Ed
09-02-11, 07:44 AM
I thought there was a specific rule saying you can borrow tyres with no value taken off your budget?

60TJZ
09-02-11, 07:45 AM
This had a NA 7M in it so it would have done a 16 :p The exhaust was still NA 7M. I was hoping with some paint etc someone might buy it for 4 or 5K or so.

Well deeer its a pre '88 lol
I meant stock 1js in a mark 3... maybe you should stick to nissans lol

aaron_hogan
09-02-11, 07:59 AM
Tyres aren't included in the build cost AFAIK :yup:

This represents such a good score I can hardly fathom it. You are starting with a running, JZ engine converted, factory turbo car that needs minimal work to begin with. Others have clapped out clunkers that need tonnes of work and no small amount of spendy action.

But good on you for giving it a crack and its awesome to see people getting involved for the sake of it because to me that's what this is all about.

Glad to see there is some actual work being done on it. If you just changed the ecu and ran it as is i would lodge a sandy vag protest. While i'm sure you are compliant with the claytons rules, i'm not sure you will win any prizes for sportsmanship by running a "JZ". Actually you deserve the ashtray for this alone. But thats just my jealousy coming through.

Its as though you need a handicap, or at least more ghetto mods :lol:

p.s. Don't take any of this seriously.

Mr Ed
09-02-11, 08:07 AM
Pft, the whole concept was Dennis's idea, hes pretty much abiding by the rules by default no matter what he does. If a bunch of cunts decided to build a truck requiring 90% of it to be changed instead of looking around for a cheapo JZ/whatever equiped vehicle, thats their problem.

There was another one of these posted in that good deals thread that would have come in under $1000, running, auto that had some easily fixable front end damage, no one wanted it, so tough shit.

Mike Lowrrryyy
09-02-11, 08:53 AM
Yeah cool I was asking because I was going to cheat and get a loan of some aswell lol

Jim
09-02-11, 08:55 AM
Watch that Uncle guy he's a cheating bastard
Hahaha

Mike Lowrrryyy
09-02-11, 09:00 AM
Jim I am shocked you would say such a thing!

Jim
09-02-11, 09:08 AM
I'm shocked I haven't been accused of it yet!

2JZR31
09-02-11, 09:27 AM
Tyres aren't included in the build cost AFAIK :yup:

This represents such a good score I can hardly fathom it. You are starting with a running, JZ engine converted, factory turbo car that needs minimal work to begin with. Others have clapped out clunkers that need tonnes of work and no small amount of spendy action.

But good on you for giving it a crack and its awesome to see people getting involved for the sake of it because to me that's what this is all about.

Glad to see there is some actual work being done on it. If you just changed the ecu and ran it as is i would lodge a sandy vag protest. While i'm sure you are compliant with the claytons rules, i'm not sure you will win any prizes for sportsmanship by running a "JZ". Actually you deserve the ashtray for this alone. But thats just my jealousy coming through.

Its as though you need a handicap, or at least more ghetto mods :lol:

p.s. Don't take any of this seriously.

Hey I agree. My idea was to not have rules, as rules can be exploited. It was supposed to be a fun event and hard rules only make it more serious. Then someone more important than me wrote the rules and I was not even consulted before they went up. I have now entered a car conforming to their rules, so its pretty hard for anyone to get upset at me when the car conforms. Especially we have now admitted the cost of the car making it near impossible for Gary (who is poor as all fuck and needs the money) to sell for what it is worth. As ED said, there is another one for sale for fuck all. Someone should buy that.

Here are specs of stock ones.

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=19978

We just want to enter something for the fun of it. I hope this does not deter other people from entering. The workmanship, ingenuity and skills needed to make a slow shitbox like a VN or EA do 13s is really what this was about at the beginning and I think people will take this into account. But buying stuff for the right price is also part of this challenge.

Mike Lowrrryyy
09-02-11, 09:48 AM
Well said!
We are having a great time mucking around in the shed on a Friday night.
I am trying to have a dry Febuary and it's farking hard to stay off the beers so this is helping, sort of lol

Mr Ed
09-02-11, 09:52 AM
The other cheap one sold already. :(

Jim
09-02-11, 09:55 AM
I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing. :p

Mike Lowrrryyy
09-02-11, 10:06 AM
That and the laundering of drug money Jim

perthdrivers.txt
09-02-11, 10:12 AM
10charatersssssss

Jim
09-02-11, 10:15 AM
Fuck! I forgot about money laundering!!!
Cocaine's a helluva drug.

Rofl! Im in a sig again hahaha

ALLMTR
09-02-11, 10:35 AM
Should piss it in

Nice buy!

Ben.
09-02-11, 08:24 PM
I fitted an FCD too so we can run as much boost as we like, it cost me $5 to make.

details. i have a jzz30/1.5j that needs this desperately (EMU will come later.... maybe)

jzx83
09-02-11, 09:04 PM
I'm shocked I haven't been accused of it yet!

Well, not to your face anyway .... :p :D

Edit: The whole 'cheating is fun' vibe is putting me in mind of Gelignite Jack Murray in the round Australia trials from way back when. Seem to recall he had a blast (or ten) working around some of the rules.

Sicarius123
09-02-11, 09:17 PM
I thought "no fucking way".

Then I saw the body.

Engine is worth 2-2.5k.

That body is worth $50 to sims lol.

MRMOPARMAN
09-02-11, 10:02 PM
Well, not to your face anyway .... :p :D

Edit: The whole 'cheating is fun' vibe is putting me in mind of Gelignite Jack Murray in the round Australia trials from way back when. Seem to recall he had a blast (or ten) working around some of the rules.

been keeping up with the 13's for $1300 thread on toymods at all?

fuckers there have got their noses so far out of place about this whole 'minimum rules' thing, i was practically accused of cheating :knock:

i reckon toymods is solely responsible for australias 'over legislation' plauge.

2JZR31
09-02-11, 10:05 PM
Toymods has a 13 for 13 thread?

ALLMTR
09-02-11, 10:41 PM
Apparently :)

thechuckster
10-02-11, 03:03 AM
sorry - that was me that put it there - was hoping it might generate more interest/competitors but it's attracted a few sandy-vagina, handbag-waving posts in it.

However, there are a few folks there interested in doing this.

Jim
10-02-11, 06:02 AM
I don't trust those guys. They're going to cheat. Can't trust crown drivers.

:p

Jim
10-02-11, 06:02 AM
Dauble porst

Mr Ed
10-02-11, 06:43 AM
Toymods has a 13 for 13 thread?
Go read it mate, its pretty funny. Those cunts know better than anyone in the world.

I like the bit where they suggest some absolute faggotry, get called a fag and then go back and edit in some italics so they can pretend they didnt mean it.

jzx83
10-02-11, 09:23 PM
Haha, haven't looked at Toymods in months. Get most of my entertainment here anyway, and they do seem a little precious at times. Like Mrmoparman's comment on the plague of overlegislation.

2JZR31
11-02-11, 02:14 PM
So Gary fixed the shitty welds on the exhaust and fitted it up. Apon starting the whole garage filled with smoke which didn't seem to go away. We thought maybe a turbo seal fucked up from clamping the MIG earth to the turbos when welding the dump pipes, so he unbolted the whole exhaust to see which turbo was blowing smoke. What a waste of time that was as there was no smoke. The shitty exhaust must have had an unusual amount of shit in it which was burning. Its normal to get a bit of smoke the first time you do something like this, but this was like a bushfire.

Anyway it is running now and goes hard. Its running 0.8-0.9 bar with just the exhaust and dumps. Time to fit a bleed valve and borrow sketchys wideband so we can crank the boost until it hits 12.5 afrs. Then head to Willowbank to run some 13s :) The FREe30 will be getting a boost tickle and probing to see if it can also run 13's.

TK
11-02-11, 02:52 PM
borrow sketchys wideband so we can crank the boost until it hits 12.5 afrs.

LOL, love it.

MRMOPARMAN
11-02-11, 02:55 PM
good stuff!

last one to enter (well 2nd last now) first one to finish!!

2JZR31
11-02-11, 04:01 PM
LOL, love it.

JZs love that shit!! :D

2JZR31
11-02-11, 04:05 PM
good stuff!

last one to enter (well 2nd last now) first one to finish!!

Its not finished until it runs a 13 without blowing up or being impounded. :D

Points of concern = Clutch, Diff, Shafts.

Ironically, the thing which makes this an unbelievable buy is the R154, but it would be much quicker and more reliable with an auto.

ALLMTR
11-02-11, 04:54 PM
What route are you taking to Willowbank? :)

jzx83
11-02-11, 09:30 PM
Planning on getting seconded to QPS Chuck?

;)

ALLMTR
12-02-11, 10:09 PM
Close!

2JZR31
12-02-11, 10:09 PM
So we fitted a bleed valve and used a sinker for the restrictor in the air lines. Just had the bleed valve laying around from when I salvaged it from some old pneumatic equipment that was being dumped. We cranked the boost to 1.4 bar :D No checking on the wideband as we didn't meet up with phil.

14.8 @ 105 with massive wheelspin 3 sec 60ft

14.2 @ 103 with bog down 2.5 sec 60ft

It was packed and we only got the 2 runs. Gary was driving and it takes a bit of practice to launch a manual turbo car on street tyres. We were confident that if we got an extra run or two we would have nailed it. But it was not to be. Now Gary is worried about the clutch and is thinking of packing it in before we even got to use the MT drag radials. :(

Al do you still have any spare 1JZ clutches in case it lets go? How hard is it to do a clutch in one of these at home with no hoist etc?

blownhemi
12-02-11, 10:36 PM
Nice going, but why would you pack it in when you're so close? The MPH is there for twelves, but obviously not going to happen with a manual.

You've still got 6weeks or so to sort it out. What's your budget at though?

2JZR31
12-02-11, 10:56 PM
I think the budget is around $1150 so far. I think it will do 13s with the current clutch. Gary does not want the clutch to die so he doesn't have to change/pay for a new one. I hope Al can come to the rescue with a clutch as I thought he may have a few good but used ones laying around.

200MPH
13-02-11, 08:14 AM
Top work. I'd say about 13.7 ish should be about right maybe 13.5 if you can balance the wheelspin and clutchspin issues just right. Going back 15 years (WTF!) I remember getting 13.3 at 103 in 12at rx-7, so you are there in theory.

dirty_sandwich
13-02-11, 01:45 PM
Fuck me. only 6 weeks left? You look to be winning though.. 14 second pass wins over no pass

blownhemi
13-02-11, 04:29 PM
Fuck me. only 6 weeks left? You look to be winning though.. 14 second pass wins over no pass

Yep, you're right there.

R.eks4
13-02-11, 07:25 PM
**So we fitted a bleed valve and used a sinker for the restrictor in the air lines. **
Lol, no red whiting balls available?:rotflol: If you boys want to paint it at any stage let me know, I have a compressor and spraygun setup that will do a half decent job and at least get it all one colour that you can borrow.

blownhemi
13-02-11, 07:51 PM
**So we fitted a bleed valve and used a sinker for the restrictor in the air lines. **
Lol, no red whiting balls available?:rotflol: If you boys want to paint it at any stage let me know, I have a compressor and spraygun setup that will do a half decent job and at least get it all one colour that you can borrow.

Nah, don't paint it, that'll only spoil the effect.

Tils
13-02-11, 08:54 PM
links to toymods 13 for 13 whinge thread?

ALLMTR
13-02-11, 09:10 PM
http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=65345

Need to be member to view (which, last time I checked, involves name, address, occupation, bank details, penis size)

Tils
13-02-11, 09:43 PM
I registered but I don't have permission to access the page... Anal much??? FUCK

blownhemi
13-02-11, 09:55 PM
I registered but I don't have permission to access the page... Anal much??? FUCK

Tried the same. :(

So what is their problem?

F|sh
13-02-11, 10:45 PM
they don't like the rules and that we are not including labor some of them are having hissy fits and that at the end when people sell them they will want more then 1300.

Tils
13-02-11, 10:50 PM
they don't like the rules and that we are not including labor some of them are having hissy fits and that at the end when people sell them they will want more then 1300.

A lot of sooking. Tell them to do it themselves and stop falling back on a cheque-book.

Jim
14-02-11, 04:21 AM
If I charge myself labour to work on my own projects I'll definately charge them labour to read their forum.

blownhemi
14-02-11, 07:14 AM
If I charge myself labour to work on my own projects I'll definately charge them labour to read their forum.

Given what some of the Sydney performance shops charge for labour, my budget would be half gone already.

Your own labour should be free and that's what I love about this whole concept. You can do as much or as little as you like with just two restrictions; don't spend over $1300 and make the sucker run 13.99 or better.

Obviously the more you can do the better, and using paid labour just isn't going to cut it.

At the end of the day there's going to be a huge amount of satisfaction for anyone who gets their car to the track, regardless of if they run the times or not.

We're not doing this for money, or trophies; the real prize is just the thrill of having a go and then saying, "I did this!"

As for the Supra (the subject of this thread after all), did you guys take out any weight at all. I'm not saying you should take the Saws-all to it, but maybe remove the passenger and back seat.

Mr Ed
14-02-11, 07:24 AM
PM sent

Sketchy
14-02-11, 08:33 AM
I'm going to hassle denis and Gary into the next test n tune on a Wednesday night, bring the wideband and shoot it to ensure it gets both 13's and a spot in SM :)

blownhemi
14-02-11, 08:37 AM
I'm going to hassle denis and Gary into the next test n tune on a Wednesday night, bring the wideband and shoot it to ensure it gets both 13's and a spot in SM :)

Definitely do that. Did the guys get anything in the way of pics or video the other day?

2JZR31
14-02-11, 08:39 AM

We even went to the corner store opposite your old house to find red whiting baubles. Even the fishing shop did not have them so we had to go for sinkers :D

2JZR31
14-02-11, 08:42 AM
We did not take any weight out at all and Gary is 130kg.

Pics and vids loading.

blownhemi
14-02-11, 08:49 AM
We did not take any weight out at all and Gary is 130kg.

Pics and vids loading.

Something to think about next time you head to the track. I mean it'd be nice to do it full weight but hey less weight makes it easier on the clutch too.

Looking forward to seeing pics and vids.

Mr Ed
14-02-11, 08:51 AM
Tell Gary to run a few quarter miles on foot first! :p

2JZR31
14-02-11, 09:12 AM
Tell Gary to run a few quarter miles on foot first! :p

:rotflol: He might only be 120 now he has been losing a fair bit.

Something to think about next time you head to the track. I mean it'd be nice to do it full weight but hey less weight makes it easier on the clutch too.

Looking forward to seeing pics and vids.

True. I think we might rip a bit out of it next time. But we were confident it would have the power to run 13s at full weight and we sort of showed it did. But the 60 foots sucked. We would have run a 13 with one or 2 more runs I think. But next time I think we will rip weight out, plus add slicks and hope the clutch lasts :D less weight is certainly going to be better on the clutch.

2JZR31
14-02-11, 09:40 AM
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/Cars/aP1010549.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/Cars/aP1010548.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/Cars/aP1010551.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/Cars/aP1010553.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/Cars/aP1010554.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/Cars/aP1010556.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/Cars/aP1010559.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/Cars/aP1010560.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/Cars/aP1010561.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/Cars/aP1010564.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/Cars/aP1010567.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/Cars/aP1010569.jpg

2JZR31
14-02-11, 09:56 AM
Vids loading.

Sketchy
14-02-11, 10:10 AM
If weight is an issue I'll get in and steer it next run down :p There's an instant 60kg weight loss for extra sikness!

If you want to go fast, install a sketchypiMp™ :D

2JZR31
14-02-11, 10:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICvWUjVucRg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBD8LvDA_m0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOi3EUdi_1A

2JZR31
14-02-11, 10:44 AM
If weight is an issue I'll get in and steer it next run down :p There's an instant 60kg weight loss for extra sikness!

If you want to go fast, install a sketchypiMp™ :D

That might be a good idea actually.

Hey didn't you want to see what the merc would do down the quarter? Need me to drive it down there for you instead of my Camry?

Sketchy
14-02-11, 10:53 AM
That might be a good idea actually.

Hey didn't you want to see what the merc would do down the quarter? Need me to drive it down there for you instead of my Camry?

That could work. Put a new set of leads on it and hopefully cleaned up the misfire so would be rather keen to see what the old girl can manage.
Maybe I can enter it in the 13's for 1300 comp

blownhemi
14-02-11, 10:59 AM
:rotflol: He might only be 120 now he has been losing a fair bit.

But next time I think we will rip weight out, plus add slicks and hope the clutch lasts

In think the rule was street tyres wasn't it? :p

2JZR31
14-02-11, 11:14 AM
In think the rule was street tyres wasn't it? :p

Tyres must be road-legal or if racing tyres be at least minimum manufacturers allowable tread depth, tyres are not included in your build cost.

I have access to the MT DRs I ran 10.8 with, and they are currently on wheels what will fit the supra.

blownhemi
14-02-11, 11:20 AM
Fucks me. I thought we were allowed to borrow slicks? Because I have access to the ones I ran 10.8 with, and they are currently on wheels what will fit the supra.

Not trying to be a Sandy Vag, I've got a set of slicks here I can use as well, but I remember seeing something in the rules. Here it is below.

From the rules:

Safety - Brakes, brake lines, brake fluid, brake pads, etc, are all free from any costings. Safety is the priority here and the car must have good brakes on each wheel. A working handbrake is required. Driver's seat is cost-free and must be properly mounted. Seat belts are cost-free and must be in good condition, no fraying, etc, and the mounts & brackets must be rust-free and solid. Steering & associated mechanisms are also cost-free and expected to be in excellent condition. A solidly-mounted fire extinguisher with drivers reach must be fitted and it is cost-free. Tyres must be road-legal or if racing tyres be at least minimum manufacturers allowable tread depth, tyres are not included in your build cost. The drag-strip apparel safety rules must be followed but as a minimum you are also required to wear a helmet and long clothes or race suit while driving. Once again no safety equipment counts towards your total cost

Time to find some nitto's or something :)

2JZR31
14-02-11, 11:22 AM
Yeah I just edited my post before you posted that last one. I can borrow drag radials with tread. Pics on first page.

ALLMTR
14-02-11, 11:33 AM
Aren't slicks racing tyres?

blownhemi
14-02-11, 11:40 AM
Aren't slicks racing tyres?

I'm new to the comp, I'll defer to the judges decision, but by racing tyres I interpreted that to mean treaded racing tyres like R888's, nittos, or drag radials and stuff like that.

Otherwise the rule should just say you can race on any tyres you like and it doesn't affect your budget.

2JZR31
14-02-11, 11:51 AM
The rule seems blatantly obvious that drag radials etc are allowed. Otherwise what the fuck is a racing tyre? But I think it should also allow full slicks since it will mean more people can scrounge up a set too.

blownhemi
14-02-11, 11:53 AM
The rule seems blatantly obvious that drag radials etc are allowed. Otherwise what the fuck is a racing tyre? But I think it should also allow full slicks since it will mean more people can scrounge up a set too.

Agreed.

2JZR31
14-02-11, 12:00 PM
I think Simon put a lot of disclaimers in the rules so as not to have people driving in dangerous cars or driving with slicks on the road etc. I think slicks should be added in too, but a note that they must be fitted at the track.

blownhemi
14-02-11, 12:10 PM
I think Simon put a lot of disclaimers in the rules so as not to have people driving in dangerous cars or driving with slicks on the road etc. I think slicks should be added in too, but a note that they must be fitted at the track.

Fair enough, I'm 3.5hrs from the nearest dragstrip so I'll be trailering my car to the track. Because it might not be running when I'm finished. :)

lumpy
14-02-11, 12:30 PM
What diff ratio is in it? If the donor car was a manual NA 7M it will likely have a 4.3:1 LSD (clutch pack so by now will probably be "rarely-LSD").

I think these supra's are pretty hard to get off the line at the best of times.

2JZR31
14-02-11, 02:18 PM
Diff gears are very short. I guessed 4.11 but 4.3 would not surprise me.

lumpy
14-02-11, 03:37 PM
Take off in 2nd!*

*I may or may not used to do this in a similar car to yeild long smoking burnouts in my misspent youth :D

Greg Rust
14-02-11, 03:55 PM
Nice work and getting to the strip so quickly, buy my reckoning with 105Mph you should be able to get a 13.7 with some M/T streets.

Maybe see if you can take off the hatch before racing next time!!

2JZR31
14-02-11, 06:14 PM
I don't think taking off in second will be that good for the clutch.

Gary told me it has been running like shit. I hope running 19psi without checking ARFs hasn't fucked it.

Greg Rust
15-02-11, 11:05 AM
Just stick the windscreen washer bottle hose into the plenum and give it a wash during the run, that'll stop detonation.

2JZR31
15-02-11, 11:44 AM
Just stick the windscreen washer bottle hose into the plenum and give it a wash during the run, that'll stop detonation.

Would need to be before the turbo. But it probably would work :D

blownhemi
15-02-11, 11:51 AM
Would need to be before the turbo. But it probably would work :D

While you can inject water before the turbo, after is much better, you just need to use enough pressure to counter the boost.

2JZR31
15-02-11, 12:02 PM
While you can inject water before the turbo, after is much better, you just need to use enough pressure to counter the boost.

Windscreen wiper squirter would struggle :D

blownhemi
15-02-11, 12:13 PM
Windscreen wiper squirter would struggle :D

Yeah, it just might :rotflol:

ALLMTR
15-02-11, 12:22 PM
Can't you pressurize the washer bottle with boost to overcome the problem :)

2JZR31
15-02-11, 12:26 PM
Can't you pressurize the washer bottle with boost to overcome the problem :)

I had pondered that. I wondred if you could use the pressure drop from the turbo just before the TB to push the water out. That would make it automatic too.

BMWTurbo
15-02-11, 12:32 PM
Dennis, $50 for a brand new 80psi capable pump, $20 for an injection nozzle, $18 for a 12V solenoid.

Greg Rust
15-02-11, 12:40 PM
yea do that, a washer bottle won't handle any pressure.

you could try hooking a gauge dead headed on the washer line to see what the pump is capable of, say it goes to 25psi, then 25 -19 means water will flow, it won't be much or very fine but it's something?

BMWTurbo
15-02-11, 12:50 PM
Most of my testing, though not extensive, showed 30psi from a BMW washer pump and a bit less from a SAAB one and a Hyundai excel.

With some 'misting jets' from bunnings it would be okay to spray before a turbo, but the coarse droplets might cause some concern for continual use, depending on where you injected into the intake.

I'm using the above (meaning high pressure pump, solenoid and proper fogging nozzle) feeding 20%meth and 80% water from the washer bottle into my throttlebody and am seeing next to 0 knock all the time with std timing. BTW 'washer fluid' in the US comprises of 10-20% acohol to water ratio so it 'shouldn't' hurt your bottles and paint etc if you spray on your windscreen.

Greg Rust
15-02-11, 01:18 PM
Beauty!!

ALLMTR
17-02-11, 10:04 PM
Have you sourced another clutch yet?

2JZR31
17-02-11, 10:48 PM
Na Gary is in hospital. Not sure what will be happening now.

2JZR31
19-02-11, 11:30 AM
I fixed the engine prob. I had not had a chance to look at the car until today. It was just a hose popped of the map sensor. WIN.

Now for a weight reduction, drag radials, and a jockey to drive it :D

Mr Ed
19-02-11, 11:59 AM
Nice save! :D

Post the axel code up from the build plate and I'll look up what diff ratio youve got (or at least had from the factory).

Sketchy
19-02-11, 12:06 PM
Now for a weight reduction, drag radials, and a jockey to drive it :D

Hey I resemble that remark. Looks like I could get a gig as the control driver for this competition :p

When do you want to borrow the wideband to check the AFR's?

2JZR31
31-05-11, 10:38 PM
Just to conclude this. My brother did not want to continue the challenge as a new clutch would have blown the budget. Fitting a used shit one would not be worth the effort to keep within the budget since it would likely need to be replaced again in short order.

ALLMTR
31-05-11, 10:45 PM
So whats happening with the car?

Tils
31-05-11, 10:58 PM
Fuck the budget... fit a new clutch!!!

E-Z
05-06-11, 01:26 PM
At the end of the day there's going to be a huge amount of satisfaction for anyone who gets their car to the track, regardless of if they run the times or not.

We're not doing this for money, or trophies; the real prize is just the thrill of having a go and then saying, "I did this!"

quoted for fucking truth