PDA

View Full Version : 13s for $1300 - Street Machine Article

blownhemi
11-02-11, 04:36 PM
Okay guys, there been much discussion about this today (between myself and the office) and we're interested (as in Street Machine magazine is interested) in doing an article on the whole 13s for $1300 concept.

I'll say up front that we have no interest in trying to take over the challenge/comp or anything. We love what you're doing and we just want to follow along. There's going to be a regular budget builds column appearing in the mag soon and this fits in nicely with that.

Obviously with the cars being all over the countryside we'll need your help to make this happen, and need your best photography skills. If a bunch of cars are going to appear at somewhere like Heathcote on the same day then that would work nicely for us, but we've got photographers all over so let us know where and when you're running so we can get some shots if you're running at WSID or Willowbank, or where ever else.

Also, after much discussion with my wife and same culling of the work calendar I've been given approval to join in the fun. :D But I'll start another thread on that (and yes I'll probably do a small SM piece on that too).

Anyway, be nice, I come in peace. Let the fun begin.

Jim
11-02-11, 04:43 PM
We're in.
Do you want self written articles on each build? Happy to write one on our entry. Just give us some basic criteria and a word limit.

blownhemi
11-02-11, 04:53 PM
We're in.
Do you want self written articles on each build? Happy to write one on our entry. Just give us some basic criteria and a word limit.

Nah, mainly pictures (I'll need hi-res versions for the mag so keep a folder set aside and burn me a disc later) and info, I'll probably talk to all the major players by PM as well and cherry pick some quotable quotes from the various threads too. We're probably looking at four pages maximum, which will fill up quickly. Pushing it out further than that will be a judgement call from Telf (Simon Telford), but I reckon that they'll stick with four pages and we'll keep it sharp and punchy.

The whole idea is to show that you can build something fun and fast for a low, low, budget. We get accused all too often about being all about the big budget cars, but most of us involved in the mag are into low budget stuff in all honesty. The variety involved in this challenge is fantastic as well. Maybe not our usual fare, but cool none the less.

blownhemi
11-02-11, 04:56 PM

Haven't they banned you yet? :knock:

MRMOPARMAN
11-02-11, 04:56 PM
sweet! cant believe the attention this is starting to get!

congrats to dennis for thinking this up

big_pete
11-02-11, 05:06 PM
You should get Edo to take the pics

This is very cool. I imagine it will create quite a bit of interest in the comp and PF alike.

2JZR31
11-02-11, 05:13 PM
The supra of scum will hopefully be going to Willowbank Sat 12 Feb (Tomorrow). :) But unless it blows up or something it will also be going to the official T&T after the finish date. That is the day we expect to have the big gathering of all the 13 for 13 sec cars at one time. But obviously many competitors will take their cars before then like us too.

Its cool to see this in SM, but I would have thought ZOOM would have been more likely to have interest.

lysdexia
11-02-11, 05:27 PM

ALLMTR
11-02-11, 05:31 PM
The supra of scum will hopefully be going to Willowbank Sat 12 Feb (Tomorrow). :) But unless it blows up or something it will also be going to the official T&T after the finish date. That is the day we expect to have the big gathering of all the 13 for 13 sec cars at one time. But obviously many competitors will take their cars before then like us too.

Its cool to see this in SM, but I would have thought ZOOM would have been more likely to have interest.

Yeah I'm surprised Adrian hasn't showed any interest in it.

Very cool that SM is interested!

<---cop
11-02-11, 05:43 PM
inb4 2rismo's half written article

blownhemi
11-02-11, 06:19 PM
Yeah I'm surprised Adrian hasn't showed any interest in it.

Very cool that SM is interested!

Hey dude, how's the Honda going?

I know Adrian pretty well (he was a big fan of V6 Vengeance back before he started working for Extreme), he's probably interested but to be honest I'm going to look after SM first and Zoom can sort their own shit out. :)

Adrian has got alot on his plate these days with so many mags to manage.

ALLMTR
11-02-11, 06:25 PM
I sold it 7 years ago :)

blownhemi
11-02-11, 06:27 PM

Photos would be most awesome. I know you're probably already going to take some, but shoot that bitch like it's a super model.

Good luck!

blownhemi
11-02-11, 06:27 PM
I sold it 7 years ago :)

Nooooooooooooooooooooo

It has been a while, hasn't it. :)

2rismo
11-02-11, 06:28 PM
The guys that have contacted me in relation to this 'competition' that have got replies know what I'm up to. Just because I haven't posted about it or tried to own it doesn't mean I'm not paying attention. :-)

Scott will do it justice in SM for sure. We're all friends here... except Dave. He's a cunt.

2rismo
11-02-11, 06:28 PM
inb4 2rismo's half written article

That means it's finished, right?

blownhemi
11-02-11, 06:30 PM
The guys that have contacted me in relation to this 'competition' that have got replies know what I'm up to. Just because I haven't posted about it or tried to own it doesn't mean I'm not paying attention. :-)

Scott will do it justice in SM for sure. We're all friends here... except Dave. He's a cunt.

LOL

Good to see your paying attention mate. :)

ALLMTR
11-02-11, 06:46 PM
The guys that have contacted me in relation to this 'competition' that have got replies know what I'm up to.

:(

oxy
11-02-11, 06:56 PM
Is it true that Street Machine is also starting a Father of the Year comp?

blownhemi
11-02-11, 06:59 PM
is it true that street machine is also starting a father of the year comp?

wtf?

Dave
11-02-11, 07:55 PM
I won 2009 and 2010, but I hear there is a new contender for the prize

ChrisS
11-02-11, 08:07 PM
Nice to see you and SM take a interest Scott, this whole 13s for $1300 deal really does seem right up your ally to. :)

I'm just shocked on your choice of car...lol

oxy
11-02-11, 08:35 PM
I won 2009 and 2010, but I hear there is a new contender for the prize

Is it true you only won cause you promised everyone a free child care day though?

blownhemi
11-02-11, 09:45 PM
Nice to see you and SM take a interest Scott, this whole 13s for $1300 deal really does seem right up your ally to. :)

I'm just shocked on your choice of car...lol

Everyone thinks I'm mopar or Commodore only depending on how they know me, but I don't play favourites (I guess I like Mopars more than anything though). I've got Fords, Holdens and Chryslers in the shed.

Well my Valiants are too valuable, well the wagon is anyway. No one would believe I bought it for less than $1300. The VF Ute is stripped to the bone, and while I only paid $250 for it I think it might need a bit more cash thrown at it.

I've got an LPG XE in the shed, which is missing a couple parts (carby, door and ignition locks, etc). I could drop the EL driveline in that, but what would be the point? If it was a cortina it might make more sense.

V6 Vengeance is sitting there and I don't think it's current value would be worth much, but there's still a bit of gear in her like a mini-spooled diff (only 3.08 gears though), Walbro pump in the tank and a B&M shifter. I've got a bottom end there that could go in it with forged buick turbo rods and pistons, but that might bring out the sandy vag's (seem to be the term du jour).

The other option is the old VH Commy ex-cop car, but again what would the value be on that. It's a V8 car and the engine is sitting in my mate's shed.

Nah, I think the EL Falcon is the safe and honest option.

Jim
11-02-11, 10:55 PM
It does bother me that the shittest car I've ever owned is the one that makes it into Street Machine. :/

MRMOPARMAN
12-02-11, 02:12 AM

and probably the most likely of all your cars to win the wooden dick, and be the most reliable doing it!

MRMOPARMAN
12-02-11, 02:12 AM
It does bother me that the shittest car I've ever owned is the one that makes it into Street Machine. :/

the disco is getting in street machine now?

ChrisS
12-02-11, 02:56 AM
Everyone thinks I'm mopar or Commodore only depending on how they know me, but I don't play favourites (I guess I like Mopars more than anything though). I've got Fords, Holdens and Chryslers in the shed.

Well my Valiants are too valuable, well the wagon is anyway. No one would believe I bought it for less than $1300. The VF Ute is stripped to the bone, and while I only paid $250 for it I think it might need a bit more cash thrown at it.

I've got an LPG XE in the shed, which is missing a couple parts (carby, door and ignition locks, etc). I could drop the EL driveline in that, but what would be the point? If it was a cortina it might make more sense.

V6 Vengeance is sitting there and I don't think it's current value would be worth much, but there's still a bit of gear in her like a mini-spooled diff (only 3.08 gears though), Walbro pump in the tank and a B&M shifter. I've got a bottom end there that could go in it with forged buick turbo rods and pistons, but that might bring out the sandy vag's (seem to be the term du jour).

The other option is the old VH Commy ex-cop car, but again what would the value be on that. It's a V8 car and the engine is sitting in my mate's shed.

Fair point :D

Dave
12-02-11, 07:23 AM
Is it true you only won cause you promised everyone a free child care day though?

yeah, someone hacked my account, the AFP has been contacted and the perpetrator will be sued

HoonBoy
12-02-11, 08:46 AM
I wouldn't be concerened about running the VN, my VR was in similar condition when it was given to me. No interior, mini spooled 3.08 diff and bad noises from the engine. $27.90 later I have a second hand eBay engine in there and it's ready to be stuffed full of nos.

Marv
14-02-11, 09:03 AM
that will be a judgement call from Telf (Simon Telford),

Space will therefore be given to anything Grey motor-powered or with a Norman blower hanging off it first, with newer technology trailing behind. :P

blownhemi
14-02-11, 09:39 AM
Space will therefore be given to anything Grey motor-powered or with a Norman blower hanging off it first, with newer technology trailing behind. :P

ROFL, true enough, but remember he used to be Deputy Editor of Zoom once upon a time too.

Marv
14-02-11, 10:08 AM
ROFL, true enough, but remember he used to be Deputy Editor of Zoom once upon a time too.

Indeed, where he had a neat FX Holden. But then he moved to Street Machine and bought an MX5...

Marv
14-02-11, 10:11 AM
Double post :(

2rismo
14-02-11, 11:25 AM
Indeed, where he had a neat FX Holden. But then he moved to Street Machine and bought an MX5...

#Telfowned

blownhemi
14-02-11, 11:57 AM

Yeah, but the MX5 fantasy was one that he was having back at Zoom. I was with Street Comm's when he was doing Zoom and he was talking about getting the MX5 back then. I think the extra earn from SM (I presume he was getting paid more) got him over the line to buy the car.

Now he's got the EJ which is very cool, but it needs a red motor, or even an RB30. Bloody grey motors!

Marv
14-02-11, 12:00 PM
I saw him just before Xmas and he was talking about sticking a red in it.

He wouldn't stick a Nailhead/Caddy V8 in it though :(

blownhemi
14-02-11, 12:16 PM
I saw him just before Xmas and he was talking about sticking a red in it.

He wouldn't stick a Nailhead/Caddy V8 in it though :(

I think a red motor would suit it, and make it much more drivable which would be great considering the long distance trips he does in it.

ALLMTR
14-02-11, 12:37 PM
Dunno if a red motor would suit an Mx5

blownhemi
14-02-11, 12:42 PM
Dunno if a red motor would suit an Mx5

LOL, half the engine might fit under the bonnet.

ALLMTR
17-02-11, 09:53 PM
I recommend a wrecking yard for the photoshoot

Tils
17-02-11, 10:15 PM

I have a wrecking yard full of old shitters here... too bad everyone else is so far away...

blownhemi
18-02-11, 06:23 AM

If we could get everyone together, that would be awesome but with people scattered all over the country it's not going to happen.

Tripper
25-02-11, 08:11 PM
I see the 13s for $1300 becoming a special issue.
Readers wanting more info, jumping on the wagon and doing there own build, and a bunch of readers saying its bullshit

TMM
26-02-11, 04:44 PM
I have a wrecking yard full of old shitters here... too bad everyone else is so far away...

That pretty much describes Adelaide right there. :yup:

Tripper
10-04-11, 01:04 AM
So is this going to be the cover article ?

eg
$1300 = 12.9s

I will even write the article.

So the cunts at peformanceforums.com came up with a motherfuckinly good idea, lets see how fast you can go for $1300
Safety items eg brakes not included.
tyres not included.

got a turbo sitting in the shed, give us a link to one for sale so we can put a price on it.

insert a few car pics and details

and the winner is X

and the prize for winning this is
insert pic of the black dildo

BigMuz
10-04-11, 07:04 AM
Jesus. Step away from the crackpipe.

ALLMTR
28-04-11, 11:09 PM
Cmon guys, we need more competitors!

Potsy
28-04-11, 11:13 PM
Cmon guys, we need more competitors!

Well hurry the fuck up then :w:

blownhemi
29-04-11, 10:11 AM
I reckon we need at least six runners for a decent yarn, we've had four, at least two to go.

MRMOPARMAN
29-04-11, 10:39 AM
what time frame are you looking at to do the article? can you hold off a couple of months?

blownhemi
29-04-11, 10:44 AM
what time frame are you looking at to do the article? can you hold off a couple of months?

The concensus seems to be that we run this thing up to the end of June and then close it off. It's got to end some time. So you've got two months to finish the car and make some passes.

I want to see as many people run as possible but sooner or later it needs to be closed off so everyone can look forward to the next project.

Just my opinion.

ALLMTR
29-04-11, 10:58 AM
Agreed

MRMOPARMAN
29-04-11, 01:06 PM
sounds fair

Mike Lowrrryyy
29-04-11, 03:40 PM
Yep sounds good.

ALLMTR
26-05-11, 11:53 PM
When would the article come out if the comp finished in June?

blownhemi
27-05-11, 11:03 AM
When would the article come out if the comp finished in June?

Depends on when I write it, but lets say I finished it July 1st, it could concievably go in the August issue (that would be a tight deadline), but more likely the Spetember issue which comes out in August.

I've started contacting people about photos (mainly on the cars that have run) and I may start writing it next week or so.

Of course, the powers that be might pull the pin on the whole thing too, but I'm hoping not and I'll try it to make it a pretty exciting read. Let's face it, there's been plenty to talk about already. I'd like at least one more car to run though.

Sketchy
27-05-11, 05:31 PM
Sounds like a plan to me, a month should be enough time to get mine mobile and skidding :D

blownhemi
27-05-11, 05:47 PM
Sounds like a plan to me, a month should be enough time to get mine mobile and skidding :D

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/uploads/monthly_08_2010/post-8907-1282337834.gif

ALLMTR
27-05-11, 10:29 PM
Yeah 1 or 2 more would be good

HoonBoy
27-05-11, 10:32 PM
Well hurry up and do a run!

morerevsm3
27-05-11, 10:36 PM
I might have to do a g tech run next week, just in case the next T&T that I am home for gets washed out or something, was going to go to Heathcote sunday, but now have to go to Adelaide

ALLMTR
27-05-11, 10:46 PM
Well hurry up and do a run!

I will if you do

Tils
27-05-11, 10:50 PM
I might make it yet. Just with stocko brakes... :( and all patchy primer haha

HoonBoy
27-05-11, 10:55 PM
I will if you do

Deal!:h5:

blownhemi
17-08-11, 08:46 PM
Finally got the go ahead to finish this up. The story has been written for ages, but I think the guys wanted to get the 30th anniversary out of the way first.

Looking like a 4-5page yarn. I'll give you guys a heads up when it gets closer.

Jim
17-08-11, 09:15 PM
fuck we better do the final run real soon!

blownhemi
17-08-11, 09:19 PM
fuck we better do the final run real soon!

Nah, that's not part of the main yarn, but we can do a follow up if something really interesting happens

Jim
17-08-11, 09:22 PM
Righto, that sounds good.

Jim
17-08-11, 09:22 PM
Don't forget to include "in order to go fast, all we had to do was destroy a VN." :lol:

2JLUX
14-12-11, 09:11 AM
Any news on this?

blownhemi
14-12-11, 02:33 PM
Gonna ask right now.

Mike Lowrrryyy
31-12-11, 08:13 AM
And then?

Southo
31-12-11, 10:14 AM
No 'and then" !!

ALLMTR
31-12-11, 02:54 PM
The bosses office must be a fair distance from his desk. . . .

Southo
31-12-11, 03:04 PM
It is actually - about 490km or so up the Hume Hwy to his boss's desk

Mike Lowrrryyy
01-01-12, 03:53 PM
and then?

Jim
14-01-12, 03:07 PM
I predict the article will be run when Project Bluebird does better than 12.35999.
:p

OKE020
14-01-12, 05:30 PM
I heard they SM hit up JustDave for some pics of 13s 1300 action at willowbank so something must be happening

blownhemi
14-01-12, 05:33 PM
they keep telling they're to run it. one of the problems is photos, mainly the beemer of morerevsm3, we can't find drag shot anywhere.

morerevsm3
14-01-12, 06:33 PM
I was there on my own, so I couldn't take any

blownhemi
14-01-12, 07:26 PM
I was there on my own, so I couldn't take any
did you see anyone with a camera on the day, maybe someone got a shot

morerevsm3
14-01-12, 07:53 PM
there were people taking vids and photos from in the pits, but NFI who they were, there was some german guy that came and chatted to me all excited by the E30, and had been filming, but he disappeared before I could get any details from him

MRMOPARMAN
14-01-12, 10:13 PM
Looks like you will have to do it all over again :D

Tils
14-01-12, 10:21 PM
I might even be able to get mine in too!!! :D

morerevsm3
19-01-12, 10:01 PM
Looks like you will have to do it all over again :D
will probably take it back to heathcote in ~ 6 weeks

Mike Lowrrryyy
12-03-12, 10:14 AM
And then....

MRMOPARMAN
12-03-12, 11:53 AM
will probably take it back to heathcote in ~ 6 weeks

6 weeks are long gone... so post up time slips or drag fail.

blownhemi
12-03-12, 11:54 AM
And then SM tell me they still plan to run something but they do seem to be dragging their feet.

I'm definitely running my car again in June, but might get it to the track before then if I can.

chartreusehj
12-03-12, 01:05 PM
OT but why doesnt the largest selling and best* performance vehicle magazine have a forum?

*best being subjective, but i likes it and its my opinion so giffuct SM haters.

MRMOPARMAN
12-03-12, 01:26 PM
could you imagine the unimaginative opinionated bogan cunts that would be on that forum.

would be a fucking good reason why they dont have a forum

big_pete
12-03-12, 01:38 PM
I think they did have a forum at one stage didn't they?

blownhemi
12-03-12, 02:28 PM
OT but why doesnt the largest selling and best* performance vehicle magazine have a forum?

*best being subjective, but i likes it and its my opinion so giffuct SM haters.

I actually told them not to do a forum. While yes they might sell a couple extra magazines, could you imagine the shit fight a SM forum would be like. We started the Street Commodores forum when I was at Express and while it was a great publicity tool it was also a massive drain on resources. They actually can't afford to turn it off now because the backlash would be huge - better to not do it at all.

You almost need someone employed full time to look after it because you can't rely on a couple of 16yo moderators to keep track. Especially when there's a multi-million dollar business involved. Someone who is capable of making hard decisions would be needed to run it and basically all those types are tied up running the magazine.

As for SM's lack of a decent website, don't get me started, it's a very old argument and I've decided I'm just gonna stay out of it. :)

blownhemi
12-03-12, 02:29 PM
I think they did have a forum at one stage didn't they?

Nope

<---cop
12-03-12, 02:46 PM
I actually told them not to do a forum. While yes they might sell a couple extra magazines, could you imagine the shit fight a SM forum would be like. We started the Street Commodores forum when I was at Express and while it was a great publicity tool it was also a massive drain on resources. They actually can't afford to turn it off now because the backlash would be huge - better to not do it at all.

They need to crash the database, put up a "We are working on fixing it" apology, point them to other forums and say you will email them when the technical issues are resolved.

MRMOPARMAN
12-03-12, 03:19 PM
As for SM's lack of a decent website, don't get me started, it's a very old argument and I've decided I'm just gonna stay out of it. :)

give them a chance, they havent discovered EFI, under bonnet superchargers, and wheels bigger than 4" wide that fit under the front gaurds yet :p

chartreusehj
12-03-12, 05:20 PM
makes sense, cheers mopar guy and turbohemi.

Steelman
17-12-12, 08:24 PM
VN is very running every time and should be used.

Mike Lowrrryyy
17-12-12, 10:09 PM
vn is very running every time and should be used.

wut?

Soopy
17-12-12, 10:21 PM
could you imagine the unimaginative opinionated bogan cunts that would be on that forum.

would be a fucking good reason why they dont have a forum

Don't need to imagine. Look at StreetCommodores.

chartreusehj
18-12-12, 11:44 AM
how many posts did you rack up in your short time there soopy? :D