PDA

View Full Version : 13s for $1300 - Project Bluebird

Pages : [1] 2 3

blownhemi
11-02-11, 05:15 PM
Okay, from the first time I read the concept of 13s for $1300, I thought it was a winner.

It's been a while since I've built anything because I didn't want to start something I couldn't finish. As a result my garage is full of "potential" project cars.

All week (only found out about this mon/tues) I've been thinking about this. But I've also been thinking about the consequences of angering she-who-must-be-obeyed (SWMBO). With a heavy schedule over next couple months I'm already in the bad books and to top it off I've got to go away for 5 weeks leaving the wife at home with the hellspawn.

So I'd pretty much talked myself out of it. I even asked my mate yesterday if I should do it and Mick being the man of few words that he is, just gave me the look. And the look said yes. Having Mick on board crossed one bridge, because he's got a tow car and decent trailer. Something you need when the nearest quarter mile drag strip is over 3.5hrs away.

Then I looked at the work/shooting schedule again (I do competition pistol shooting too). Five consecutive weekends away followed by five full weeks away from home. I thought, "my wife is never going to go for this", and that's when I wrote the other post saying I couldn't come out to play.

http://performanceforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=841010453&postcount=819

So I finally gathered up my courage and sat the missus down for a chat and explained the work schedule. Some things weren't carved in stone so we worked through it and culled a few events, then I broke the news of 13s for $1300.

She took it well... much better than expected actually.

Then I talked to the office about the idea and that kind of cemented the deal. With them involved I can't back out (even though they're not paying for anything).

So I'm in, if you'll have me.

Project Bluebird is a '98 EL Falcon I picked up last September for $100. which you can verify through threads I posted here (http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1424) & here (http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11307543&highlight=bluebird) when I bought the car.

The idea has been from day one to turn it into a salt lake car, but I've been busy as a one-legged bum kicker at an arse kicking competition during the last five months and the car hasn't had a spanner laid on it yet. This competition/challenge is the motivation I need to get started and nothing I do here will affect the car's ability to run on the salt later on.

The car ran out of rego one week after I bought it but I managed to do a G-tech run on it and it ran 16.27 at 90.5mph. My wife and I both have similar Falcons. I've got a '94 EF and she's got a '98 EL and this thing will run rings around both of them. Probably because it's only got 195,000kms on the clock.

I can hear the bullshit meters tingling already. Who sells a registered 195,000km EL Falcon for $100? Someone stupid enough to listen to their mechanic, that's who!

The sister of one of the SM guys was concerned about the water loss in her Falcon. The mechanic automatically diagnosed it as a head gasket given that's a common ailment for these cars. Not wanting to spend any money of the car they chucked some stop leak in it and asked wreckers what they could sell it for. Everyone told them $100, and my mate in the office says, "I know someone who will give you $100 for it".

To be honest I just expected a parts car. We've got two Falcons, so it would be silly to knock back a $100 parts car. So I caught the train to Sydney and picked it up in the dark. When I walked out in the morning and looked at it i couldn't believe I only paid $100 for this thing. My in-laws, who I'd stayed overnight with, were making noises about taking it off my hands. But no, I loaded up some spare water, checked the fluids and drove it home 450km and it didn't miss a beat. No water leaks, no chuffing like a train, not even any movement on the heat guage above what's normal for these cars. On closer inspection I discovered evidence of a small leak from the pipe under the thermostat housing. I think that's where the water was coming from, and the mechanic just thought he had another headjob to do.

So here's what the car looked like when I got it home.
http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/el1.jpg

Very unexciting under the bonnet, but it fries one wheel when you stand on it. Our other falcons go, "WTF are you doing?" If you give them a foot full.
http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/el3.jpg

One of the other reasons it was so cheap, the rust hole isn't evident when the boot is closed.
http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/el4.jpg

The interior is quite tidy, it'll be a shame to rip it out really.
http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/el5.jpg

Chrome hubcaps are extreme gay, and the 4x4 stance isn't very cool, but beggars can't be chosers.
http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/el2.jpg

Okay now, the plan is simple. Because I'm starting late I don't have a bunch of time and I've still got a pretty hectic work schedule.
I do have an old T04 Rajay in the shed doing nothing and I know that'll make 250rwhp on a 4-litre at around 11psi. That would piss in 13s - no question.

But I've done turbo sixes before, no mysteries there. But I've never done a nitrous EFI car before. In fact my only go at nitrous before (about 17 years ago) was an unmitigated disaster. I want another crack at it.

So I figure an ebay nitrous kit, one of the NOS Sniper EFI foggers will be the go. Throw in some headers (secondhand if I can find some) and a minispool to help traction and I reckon we'll give it a good crack. Even if I have to buy new headers the budget will be under $1000. A mate has already offered me a loan of some McReary street tyres as well.

Of course nothing is carved in stone. After all that T04 would be very easy to fit as well. I'll have a look at it tomorrow and price it up, and see what else pops in my head.

Thoughts? Crtitisms? Death Threats?

lysdexia
11-02-11, 05:19 PM
love it, and that was a fucken bargain!

<---cop
11-02-11, 05:25 PM
tl;dr

I came here expecting pics of CA18s with S400s?

blownhemi
11-02-11, 05:35 PM
tl;dr

I came here expecting pics of CA18s with S400s?

That made me laugh. I already christened the thing months ago. Might as well keep the name.

ALLMTR
11-02-11, 05:52 PM
Something like this is the best option if time is an issue

blownhemi
11-02-11, 05:54 PM
Something like this is the best option if time is an issue

How's the truck going?

morerevsm3
11-02-11, 06:48 PM
eastern creek or heathcote? should do the job easily

buzz
11-02-11, 07:39 PM
This is fucking cool. The fact that you have a pair in the family already just makes so much sense. At worst I can see are an interesting read coming along. If you can get G tech times as you go along with stripping it, going the turbo, then the spray I think it would be interesting to compare the times and progress. Hopefully a wet nitrous system will be a totlly safe proposition. Three thumbs up! (I probably should buy some SM's again... ;) )

MR-PUNANNY
11-02-11, 07:54 PM
100 bux damn!! Not even an ex taxi!!

Monk
11-02-11, 08:09 PM
Goddamn that's cheap. Hahahaha.

blownhemi
11-02-11, 08:53 PM
This is fucking cool. The fact that you have a pair in the family already just makes so much sense. At worst I can see are an interesting read coming along. If you can get G tech times as you go along with stripping it, going the turbo, then the spray I think it would be interesting to compare the times and progress. Hopefully a wet nitrous system will be a totlly safe proposition. Three thumbs up! (I probably should buy some SM's again... ;) )

The car's no longer registered so progressive G-tech times are out, but you're right it would have been good to do. I live out in the bush and could probably get away with it but alot of guys have thought the same way around here in the past and the cops here are mostly highway patrol, and as such are unforgiving pricks.

Yep, a wet fogger is the plan. If I could squeeze in wet fogger and turbo that would be awesome but... the engine life expectancy would be interesting.

Look out for my youtube videos that I'll be doing (if it stops raining I'll start tomorrow). I'm going to cronicle the whole thing (such as it is) because I think it'll be a cool thing to share with the WWW.

MRMOPARMAN
12-02-11, 01:04 AM
100 bux damn!! Not even an ex taxi!!

cmon mate, its a $100 falcon.. ya cant have everything

MRMOPARMAN
12-02-11, 01:07 AM
Yep, a wet fogger is the plan. If I could squeeze in wet fogger and turbo that would be awesome but... the engine life expectancy would be interesting.

engine life expectancy is a moot point. if it blows, you can find new motors lying in paddocks these days(see allmtr thread for proof), so n2o the shit out of it!

blownhemi
12-02-11, 05:49 AM
engine life expectancy is a moot point. if it blows, you can find new motors lying in paddocks these days(see allmtr thread for proof), so n2o the shit out of it!

Actually after seeing what the Mike's Dyno guys did with theirs (Their EA ran 10's on a stock bottom end) i reckon the auto will go first.

blownhemi
12-02-11, 07:56 AM
Okay, so I'm sitting here baby sitting while waiting for the missus to come back from a garage sale. It's not raining so I'm hanging to get out to the shed, but while I've got to be inside I'm doing some planning.

A few questions for the brains trust.

Do I have to run a full exhaust?
Are McCreary Street tyres going to get me in trouble?
Is nitrous filling cost part of the budget?

MRMOPARMAN
12-02-11, 09:43 AM
1. depends if your gonna rego it or not.. i think you mentioned somewhere you were gonna trailer it, so no rego? if no rego, run as little exhaust as you will get away with on the track.

2. no, tyres arent included in the cost

3. no, only buying the kit itself

MRMOPARMAN
12-02-11, 09:44 AM
PS.. you need a play pen in your shed ;)

<---cop
12-02-11, 10:21 AM
How old is the kid? Put it to use!

Any 3 year old can pass a flat screwdriver, the pointy one, the circle spanner with '13' on it etc etc etc. Free labour ftw.

oscar32
12-02-11, 10:42 AM
Agreed, small children and even trained pet can make excellent assistants.

That car looks tidy for $100. Nice score. Can't wait to see how this goes - I've always had a soft spot for underdog falcons.

Turbo and nos? Go for 12s and blow everyone away?

GHaST
12-02-11, 11:25 AM
Agreed, small children and even trained pet can make excellent assistants.

That car looks tidy for $100. Nice score. Can't wait to see how this goes - I've always had a soft spot for underdog falcons.

Turbo and nos? Go for 12s and blow everyone away?

Fucking yeehaw!

Lobster
12-02-11, 02:01 PM
That made me laugh. I already christened the thing months ago. Might as well keep the name.

"The Blueberry"

blownhemi
12-02-11, 06:49 PM
Just came indoors after being out in the shed all day (well since 12o'clock or so anyway). Pretty good effort - 106kg shaved off the car just removing the easy stuff.

Does a ripper single spinner burnout now. I think there's still smoke leaking from my shed. :)

Photos and videos to follow later. Got to spend some quality time with the family first. :P

ALLMTR
12-02-11, 06:57 PM
Another 100 to go. . .

blownhemi
12-02-11, 09:21 PM
Another 100 to go. . .

We'll see. My main problem I guess is that I want to use this car for the salt lake later on and some classes don't allow lightening and in fact lightening can be a disadvantage on the salt. If I start chopping the shit out of it (ala - red streak) it'll just mean more work down the track if/when I go to the salt.

Maybe I should find a lighter driver. My fat arse isn't going to do it any favours. :)

ALLMTR
12-02-11, 09:27 PM
What did the 106kg consist of?

blownhemi
12-02-11, 10:24 PM
Well, what a day. Haven't wielded any spanners for months so it was good to get out into the shed again.

Getting started was a long drawn out affair. Of course the battery in the Falcon was dead, so I go to start the Valiant and find it dead too. Drag my red Falcon around the back and jump start the Val to find it's also out of fuel too. So off to the servo I go with the jerry can. The Val runs much better with fuel in the tank and finally get to jump start Bluebird which was being blocked by the Val. It's nice having a big shed, but with six cars in there you can't one out without moving two others.

Naturally Project Bluebird was also coated in dust, bird crap, and even some old bird eggs which had fallen from one of the nests in the roof at some stage. So first port of call was washing the car - my least favourite car orientated job.

After a bath and back in the safety of the shed.
http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_7756.jpg

This is what the interior looked like this morning - it doesn't look like that now.
http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_7761.jpg

The engine is still the same. I thought i better show a shot with it still in stock appearance.
http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_7836.jpg

Here's 106kg of crap that I removed from the car today.
http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_7849.jpg

And here's how I left it tonight. Yes, that is tyre smoke floating in the air. Wait until you see the video. LOL I had an interior shot but it was taken late and wasn't well lit. I post soemthing up tomorrow.
http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_7880.jpg

My first Project Bluebird Youtube video is uploading at the moment. It's not very exciting, just a run down of what it's all about and what the plan is - got to be done. But the second video, which I'll probably upload tomorrow is going to be much more exciting. :)

It's still processing at the moment but here's video one.
zFGu4RijlZM

Now I'm going to bed. :)

blownhemi
12-02-11, 10:28 PM
What did the 106kg consist of?

Everything from the boot inc. spare, jack, boot mat etc. The back seat, the passenger seat, the hoodlining, the console, all the seat belts except the drivers side and various trims, handles and other crap.

Majority of the dash is still there and I haven't touched the air con yet. Might explore a lighter drivers seat too.

ALLMTR
12-02-11, 10:38 PM
Are you going lower with gearing when you minispool?

blownhemi
12-02-11, 10:42 PM
Are you going lower with gearing when you minispool?

I've been looking, but as some have mentioned in other threads, finding them for the right dollars is proving difficult. I'm going to talk to a mechanic mate tomorrow. he's go all kinds of crap behind his workshop. Maybe he's got something for me.

Alternatively there's some guy selling a set of 4.11's with a minispool in an XD housing in Canberra. The housing is useless for me but the gears and spool would be fine (if they're in good nick). Canberra is only 3hrs for me.

At the end of the day I reckon I can still do it with 3.23 gears if I've got decent rubber.

2JZR31
12-02-11, 11:03 PM
Nice project. Thats a pretty good falcon you got there. It looks great. That blue paint looks mint. Pitty to gut all that interior as it looked good too, but as you say less weight is like free HP. Do you know about the DIY electronic shift kits for these things?

ALLMTR
12-02-11, 11:26 PM
I take it you have seen this

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11222462

How much does the front seat weigh?

blownhemi
13-02-11, 07:07 AM
I take it you have seen this

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11222462

How much does the front seat weigh?

Yeah, I have seen that before. Looks alot like that blue falcon that used to run out at WSID back in the day. But that car had a turbo out the bonnet.

Makes me think that if I can get a cam for the right price I might try one of those too. The good thing about nitrous is that I'll be able to do a run without gas first and see how it goes. I'm going to run at Heathcote which should give me the oppotunity for lots of trials (until the gas runs out of the car breaks :P ).

As for the seat not sure on weight, I forgot to weigh it, but it felt bloody heavy dragging it in and out of the car.

blownhemi
13-02-11, 07:13 AM
Nice project. Thats a pretty good falcon you got there. It looks great. That blue paint looks mint. Pitty to gut all that interior as it looked good too, but as you say less weight is like free HP. Do you know about the DIY electronic shift kits for these things?

It's not actually as good as everyone thinks. The car is covered in little carpark battle scars - there's bloody dents and scrapes all over, but the shiny paint hides it well.

And the interior. Well after seeing the front seat I might put the flaming seat cover back on. Looks like someone had their period on the front seat. It's kind of gross. All the seats were pretty grubby on closer examination and the hoodlining was all sagged - someone had hot glued it back into place but it was still all fucked up.

I've heard of these DIY shift kits but not sure of the effectiveness. Might have to look into them.

morerevsm3
13-02-11, 08:21 AM
hopefully have the bmw ready to take to heathcote when you come down, side by side 13s for $1300 oildowns or 13s!

blownhemi
13-02-11, 04:28 PM
hopefully have the bmw ready to take to heathcote when you come down, side by side 13s for $1300 oildowns or 13s!

Sounds good to me. :)

MRMOPARMAN
13-02-11, 05:09 PM
im impressed you havent taken the hubcaps off, thrown them in the bin, then set the bin on fire, then nuked the bin from orbit.

ALLMTR
13-02-11, 05:15 PM
Second vid?

blownhemi
13-02-11, 06:09 PM
im impressed you havent taken the hubcaps off, thrown them in the bin, then set the bin on fire, then nuked the bin from orbit.

Second vid?

LOL, I approach this subject with the second video, which is rendering right now. I'll upload it shortly.

blownhemi
13-02-11, 09:37 PM
I hate my internet connection, it's so slow. All right for browsing but not good enough when it comes to uploading good quality video.

Okay, so I didn't do anything on the car today. The IPSC Victorian State Titles (I do IPSC shooting - youtube it) is on next weekend and I needed some practice, so I took my Glock out for a bit of fun today. Nothing quite like some rapid fire 9mm glock action. :)

But when I got home I took some photos of yesterday's work. Here's a shot of the interior as it sits now. There's a stack of insulation on the floor so I might try the dry ice deal and see how much weight can be removed that way. I'm thinking I might just bite the bullet and see how much more weight I can remove from the car as well. I haven't touched the door trims yet, or even looked at the air-con. Or maybe I won't have to bother.
http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_7898.jpg

Why won't I have to bother, you might ask? Well I ran some figures through Quarter Junior tonight and it says I'm well on target. In fact depending on what power I can get out of the engine without NOS and what gearing I use, it may even go 13's NA. That would be pretty awesome.

By the way, here's video two.

ophR_0HWo1o

Also, this popped up on my facebook tonight. Anyone after a 13s for $1300 project?
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/179873_170918596288112_100001099186155_354024_4173 268_n.jpg
nissan bluebird v6 auto great burnout and drifting must sell 1000 ph 0450620655

I just thought it was relevant seeing this is Project Bluebird and all that. :)

ALLMTR
13-02-11, 10:10 PM
An NA EL, gutted, geared and cammed should get a 13, no doubt.

blownhemi
13-02-11, 10:17 PM

Yep, that's what Quarter Jnr is telling me too. Nitrous just sweetens the deal. :)

2JZR31
14-02-11, 09:08 AM
Nice vid mate and sweet skid :D Why are the door trims still on?

Chuck auto falcons are woefully shit off the mark. First gear revs out to like 100km/h. A bigger cam will probably just make it slower unless you use a manual or different converter.

MRMOPARMAN
14-02-11, 09:33 AM
4.11s and welded centre should fix that!

2JZR31
14-02-11, 09:36 AM
4.11s and welded centre should fix that!

Will certainly help by a massive amount.

Asteroid
14-02-11, 07:39 PM
Which is kinda funny in comparison to the v6 vn back then... :D

blownhemi
14-02-11, 07:46 PM
Which is kinda funny in comparison to the v6 vn back then... :D

It is in a way, getting that VN to go hard was like pulling teeth in some regards. Admittedly it was a tired engine when I got it with over 250,000km on the clock and it ran 16.59 first time out. But because my plan was to eventually turbo it I didn't want really steep gears in it; through Quarter Jnr I worked out that 3.45 was just about perfect.

Going to 4.11's would have shaved around another 3-tenths off the times early on. But nothing seemed to make the gains that we thought, and we tried stuff that simply didn't work. The biggest single gain (other than totally rebuilding the engine) was to get the heads done. It made almost no extra power on the dyno yet gained a massive 4-tenths with no other changes.

The research I've been doing on this Falcon makes it look like this EL will be easy in comparison, but then again I'm not building it to last long term either.

ALLMTR
14-02-11, 08:16 PM
With some recent medical issues, I was looking at just grabbing an EF/EL and doing the exact same thing. I was going to send the head to a mate and get him to do one port and then I would just copy it. On Fordmods there are Wade cam sets coming up all the time for ~$150

blownhemi
14-02-11, 08:24 PM
With some recent medical issues, I was looking at just grabbing an EF/EL and doing the exact same thing. I was going to send the head to a mate and get him to do one port and then I would just copy it. On Fordmods there are Wade cam sets coming up all the time for ~$150

I'll have to check there, I've been watching AFF like a hawk though.

blownhemi
15-02-11, 08:01 AM
Update: Just chasing parts at the moment. Got some feelers out for a few bits and pieces amongst some mates, and checking various forums and ebay for some cheap stuff.

Last resort is to buy new stuff, but I'll beat the bushes first.

Later on today I might try stage two lightening on the car, and look at sealing the boot from the cabin, which has to be done if I want to run nitrous at Heathcote Raceway.

Sketchy
15-02-11, 08:25 AM
Keen to see how this pans out. Looks to be a very healthy example for $150 bucks. I'd laugh like an idiot if a stock lightened falcon with fuck all other mods was the first car to 13's :)

blownhemi
15-02-11, 09:27 AM
Keen to see how this pans out. Looks to be a very healthy example for $150 bucks. I'd laugh like an idiot if a stock lightened falcon with fuck all other mods was the first car to 13's :)

$100 actually. :)

Yeah, the photos make it look better than it is. I might even make a video chronicling all it's faults because a few people on youtube (and Facebook, and I suspect here :p ) can't believe I paid only $100 for it.

To be honest I'm hoping to do 13's NA and then drive the final nail home with a shot of gas, just for fun. :)

blownhemi
15-02-11, 05:24 PM
I wasn't going to pull the door trims off but after removing one to get at the speaker behind it I discovered the bloody things are heavy! You certainly wouldn't want to hold one at arms length for an extended period.

So I think I'm going to remove them all.

F|sh
15-02-11, 05:28 PM
yeah all the electrics are fucking heavy.

blownhemi
15-02-11, 05:32 PM
yeah all the electrics are fucking heavy.

That's no electrics, just the door trim itself. I was expecting it to weigh two-tenths of fuck all, but there's quite a bit of weight in them.

ALLMTR
15-02-11, 06:31 PM
Need to cut the intrusion bars out of it

blownhemi
15-02-11, 06:37 PM
Need to cut the intrusion bars out of it

Nah, I'll be leaving them alone. :)

Jim
15-02-11, 06:44 PM
just leave the driver's one in and cut the other 3 out. they weigh a fair bit!

Gassed250
15-02-11, 11:08 PM
dry ice all that sound proofing shit off the floor

blownhemi
16-02-11, 07:33 AM
dry ice all that sound proofing shit off the floor

Oh yeah, definitely doing that. It's amazing how much sound proofing there is inj these EL Falcons. I'm sure my EF doesn't have nearly as much.

Trouble is I'm on baby sitting duties today so no trips down the road to get dry ice today.

It looks like I've got myself some diff gears too. I've negotiated a price for an XD Falcon diff. Apparently it's a 28-spline V8 diff and it's got 4.11 gears and a mini-spool for $280. My major problem is that the housing is wrong for my car and I'll have to transfer the diff gears into my EL housing.

I've done mini-spool conversions on BW78's before but never a whole gearset so this will be interesting. I guess it only has to do half a dozen passes down the strip or so.

2JZR31
16-02-11, 09:17 AM
There are a few good threads on PF about changing gears in a BW diff.

MRMOPARMAN
16-02-11, 10:41 AM
xd would be 25 spline bw75 would it not? unless it was already converted

blownhemi
16-02-11, 12:07 PM
xd would be 25 spline bw75 would it not? unless it was already converted

V8's were 28-spline.

morerevsm3
16-02-11, 07:29 PM
http://australianspeedway.com/showthread.php?t=39018

blownhemi
16-02-11, 09:04 PM
http://australianspeedway.com/showthread.php?t=39018

I'll keep that in mind in case this diff falls through.

blownhemi
17-02-11, 08:52 AM
Bummer, tried to score some dry ice today but the local BOc wont have any until next week. Might try one other place and if not I'll leave it until next week.

blownhemi
17-02-11, 01:15 PM
Correction: Dry ice sorted.

Being in the bush limits your options, but I managed to get some from BOC Wagga. They asked me what I was using it for (just curious - they thought dry ice bombs), but when I told them about 13s for $1300 they seemed very interested and I scored nearly an esky full of dry ice for $10.

I'll use it a little later on and then maybe post another video later tonight if all goes to plan.

It cost me more to drive to Wagga (2hr return trip) than it cost me for the dry ice. LOL

Dogsballs
17-02-11, 01:34 PM
good work dude!

blownhemi
17-02-11, 01:39 PM
good work dude!

Wow's there a voice from the past. Are you back in OZ?

Dogsballs
17-02-11, 03:05 PM
ha, took me a while to click this was you the other day. yeah, back in melb since early dec.

<---cop
17-02-11, 03:56 PM
Yeah dogsballs is gonna store that shell we were talking about at his house for me for a while till I can pick it up.

Aren't you dogsballs? :D

blownhemi
17-02-11, 04:56 PM
That dry ice boils off pretty quick but I got most of it done.

Dry ice bombs are fun too. :)

<---cop
17-02-11, 06:14 PM
Pics? Would you do it again?

blownhemi
17-02-11, 06:27 PM
Pics? Would you do it again?

At the moment... no. :(

A lot of work, even with the dry ice, and I think I've only removed 6kg of body deadener from the floorpan. So not much gain when you think of it. Conmsidering I spent two hours getting the ice and then another 2.5hrs working with it.

I've got to get stuck into a story at the moment, but I'll get the pics (and video) up when I can.

Jim
17-02-11, 06:30 PM
after de-tarring the race car I decided that removing it on our project sounded like way too much work, especially for the price of dry ice around here.

Dogsballs
17-02-11, 08:24 PM
Yeah dogsballs is gonna store that shell we were talking about at his house for me for a while till I can pick it up.

Aren't you dogsballs? :D
dude, i don't have a job yet and living at home. :knock:

That dry ice boils off pretty quick but I got most of it done.

Dry ice bombs are fun too. :)
when i start work, i can access it easily ;)

little baby bombs in 60ul eppendorf tubes are a favourite lab past-time of mine :yup:

ALLMTR
17-02-11, 08:34 PM
Yep the second 100kg is the hard one

blownhemi
17-02-11, 08:46 PM
Yep the second 100kg is the hard one

Bloody Oath! It's there to be had, (I reckons there's another 40kg out already, and I haven't touched the exhaust yet) but it depends on how far I want to go. I could get the sawsall out and start hacking, but I'm not sure if that's what I want to do. Part of me doesn't want to take the car beyond that point of no return. :)

<---cop
18-02-11, 09:07 AM
dude, i don't have a job yet and living at home. :knock:

when i start work, i can access it easily ;)

little baby bombs in 60ul eppendorf tubes are a favourite lab past-time of mine :yup:

Your mum would be used to broken down VN executives in her driveway wouldn't she? :D

Can you ship some dry ice to QLD for me?

Dogsballs
18-02-11, 09:47 AM
dude, thats a very sore subject!

it'll be half gone by the time you get it.

<---cop
18-02-11, 09:50 AM
My bad! :(

blownhemi
18-02-11, 10:50 AM
Can't do a full update at the moment because I'm about to walk out the door but here's what I got up to yesterday afternoon.

A nice thick coat of dry ice works well, but it bleeds away pretty quick. I probably should have used it more efficently. Thought I had heaps.
I should have also started from the back seat area and worked my way forward instead of starting in the middle.

http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_7907.jpg

Here it is halfway through. I discovered that starting up the back and working my way forward worked much better. It didn't come up in one nice sheet either, it justy broke into pieces. You can certainly hear it break away from the floor when you put the dry ice on.
http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_7916.jpg

Dogsballs
18-02-11, 11:24 AM
yeah, increase the surface area and it evaporates fairly quickly. i'd do it in narrower but thicker sections, so it stays cold.

OKE020
18-02-11, 08:43 PM
That technique would never work for me, i'd be to busy being a dickhead with coke bottles and water etc

Dave
18-02-11, 08:50 PM
lol, I think I just bit my tongue when I laughed

Ben Wilson
18-02-11, 08:53 PM
Would covering it in a blanket be worth considering?

blownhemi
20-02-11, 06:18 PM
I think it would be better to just work quicker. Remember I stuffed around making videos and taking photos. Without the extra time spent there I would have had no problems. Each section only needs dry ice for less than 10mins.

thechuckster
20-02-11, 06:49 PM
i covered the dry ice with heaps of newspaper and a blanket. Otherwise you waste heaps of it. I let it work on one small area ( e.g. a footwell) then move it to another area and attack the earlier spot with a hammer.

i found that 10 min on each section was fine and by covering it up while chilling, one block (smashed up into walnut-sized chunks) lasted the whole interior. To do the tunnel, i tapped the lower edge of the newspaper, filled the 'pocket' with ice then covered it.

blownhemi
20-02-11, 07:26 PM
i covered the dry ice with heaps of newspaper and a blanket. Otherwise you waste heaps of it. I let it work on one small area ( e.g. a footwell) then move it to another area and attack the earlier spot with a hammer.

i found that 10 min on each section was fine and by covering it up while chilling, one block (smashed up into walnut-sized chunks) lasted the whole interior. To do the tunnel, i tapped the lower edge of the newspaper, filled the 'pocket' with ice then covered it.

Good tip with the tunnel, might have to try that.

blownhemi
21-02-11, 07:40 PM
Getting second hand headers is proving tougher than expected. Just missed out on a set today for $120.

A mate with an exhaust shop has a slightly used set for $230 (fitted up, but never run before they were removed), which is starting to look to be my best option. Apparently now they can use extractors in Falcon speedway cars, the price is high and availability of second hand pipes is fairly slim.

blownhemi
22-02-11, 05:20 PM
More progress today but I broke my rivet gun, need to buy a new one tomorrow. Sealing the boot from the cabin is proving easier than expected.

Big expenditures later in the week will be a nitrous kit and some headers.

blownhemi
23-02-11, 09:36 PM
The long awaited Episode Three

N1lJomqHniU

Bought a new rivet gun today and finished off sealing the boot from the cabin. Looks pretty decent too. So Episode Four isn't far away.

On the subject of parts, I'm hoping to order some stuff tomorrow. We'll see if I get paid tomorrow (I'm freelance so I get paid per job, but there's a bit outstanding). A healthy bank balance will see my missus releasing some funds my way. :)

Dogsballs
24-02-11, 08:17 AM
Rofl :)

blownhemi
24-02-11, 02:32 PM
Picking up pipes on Monday, ordered nitrous and mini-spool today.

Diff purchase fell through, so I have to find some gears from somewhere (got my eye on a set) and there's another perfromance part i've got my eye on but it depends on budget. It's going to go right to the wire.

aaron_hogan
25-02-11, 07:15 AM
[QUOTE=turbohemi;841024866 there's another perfromance part i've got my eye on but it depends on budget. It's going to go right to the wire.[/QUOTE]

This should prove to be true of every build in the challenge. Otherwise you can draw one of two conclusions;
1. They aren't trying, OR
2. They are full of shit

blownhemi
28-02-11, 05:08 PM
Sorry about the lack of updates over the weekend. I went away to shoot the NSW State titles at Grafton. During the last three days I've spent well over 24hrs in a friggin' car. :)

Went to a mates exhaust shop today picked up the headers and he chucked me an old muffler with a couple offcuts to throw under it so it doesn't damage my hearing any further than what is already is.

According to the sellers, the nitrous kit is on the way as is the minispool. Won my ebay auctions for 3.9 gears and an XR6 head complete with cam as well.

The budget looks like:

Car $100
Nitrous $480
Gears $170
Minispool $80
Headers $230
XR6 head $102.50
Dry ice $10
Expanda foam $20

Which gives me a total of $1192.50 at the moment and that'll leave me with enough budget to get a new head gasket so I can do the head swap.

Heavy duty work starts shortly. :)

aaron_hogan
28-02-11, 07:46 PM
Knowing now that you intend to replace the head with an xr6 item I would suggest you get frisky with a die grinder and port that fucker.

I wasted a few hours and degenerated my preferred wanking wrist on cleaning up the short turns.

Doooo eeeet. Or hit up Tony :rotflol:

blownhemi
28-02-11, 08:06 PM
Knowing now that you intend to replace the head with an xr6 item I would suggest you get frisky with a die grinder and port that fucker.

I wasted a few hours and degenerated my preferred wanking wrist on cleaning up the short turns.

Doooo eeeet. Or hit up Tony :rotflol:

I'll have a look at it. But I don't want to upset things too much either, otherwise the prick won't run right.

<---cop
01-03-11, 05:14 PM
Extrudehone? (sp)

Dogsballs
01-03-11, 05:41 PM
seppo version, chuck sand in intake?

blownhemi
01-03-11, 05:53 PM
Extrudehone? (sp)

Automatic budget killer. That shit is expensive.

blownhemi
01-03-11, 05:56 PM
Just finishing up video four now. This shows me sealing off the boot area. It's not too exciting but necessary. From here on out everything is much cooler. Headers, gears, spool, exhaust, nitrous, and even a head swap. Not necessarily in that order. :)

TK
02-03-11, 06:28 AM
+1 on giving the short turns a little rub up while the head is off - the ford ECU's cope pretty well with minor mods, she'll run just fine.

blownhemi
02-03-11, 08:17 AM
Here's part four of my little journey for your viewing pleasure.

KXiwHCRSFWw

And some images to go with it.

The boot is all sealed off and I've given it a light hit with a matt black spray bomb.
http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_7932.jpg

Still deciding what to do with the intake. I'm considering putting it through the bonnet for some fresh air. Then there's the air-con compressor. To remove that I need an idler pulley to replace it, apparently the XH Ute has such an item, but finding it might time consuming and expensive.
http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_7936.jpg

Basically, this is what the exhaust is going to look like.
http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_7942.jpg

The headers are Castle Headers that went on a car but never ran, so I scored them cheaper thanks to the guys at Totally Exhausted in Wodonga, and they threw me some offcut pipe and a junker straight through muffler to help. Cost = $230 :)
http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_7950.jpg

And then this turned up in the mail this morning. :fap:
http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_7957.jpg

Dogsballs
02-03-11, 09:21 AM
thank god you can write, i wouldn't bank on comedy as a career

fact of day. i bumped into rolf harris at my local sandwich shop when i was working in london.

aaron_hogan
02-03-11, 10:48 AM
I see no point to deleting the air con. Its not going to sap HP if you're not running it.

That said, frigging around with bracketry is going to cost you precious time. Spend your effort elsewhere.

Btw - good luck finding an XH WITHOUT air con. who orders one without aircon these days? I know the bracket exists in the parts book but its a massive rip off too.

Would be possible to fab an idler assembly using pulleys from old idlers or even from BA's. I have a BA idler pulley here new in the packet I think. Let me know if you desperately need it.

blownhemi
02-03-11, 11:16 AM
I see no point to deleting the air con. Its not going to sap HP if you're not running it.

That said, frigging around with bracketry is going to cost you precious time. Spend your effort elsewhere.

Btw - good luck finding an XH WITHOUT air con. who orders one without aircon these days? I know the bracket exists in the parts book but its a massive rip off too.

Would be possible to fab an idler assembly using pulleys from old idlers or even from BA's. I have a BA idler pulley here new in the packet I think. Let me know if you desperately need it.

I could fab something up, but I'm running out of time to be honest. I've got to go away in three weeks time and I'll be away for five weeks.

With everything I have to do I might as well concentrate on the important stuff like you say. After all I can do the pulley thing later if it looks like I'll have spare time at the end.

blownhemi
02-03-11, 05:12 PM
Pulled the exhaust off this afternoon - everything from the exhaust manifold back. It sounds like a racecar now. :)

So there's another 23kg gone from the car, but obviously I'll be putting some back when I add the headers and mini-exhaust. But it's amazing how easy everything is to work on so far, and I've never seen header bolts as accessible as they are on this thing, and the whole exhaust was off in less than 40mins, which isn't bad without a hoist.

Had a look at the nitrous kit too. Looks pretty comprehensive. Uploading an unboxing video right now. :)

knowsfords
02-03-11, 05:52 PM
Pulled the exhaust off this afternoon - everything from the exhaust manifold back. It sounds like a racecar now. :)

So there's another 23kg gone from the car, but obviously I'll be putting some back when I add the headers and mini-exhaust. But it's amazing how easy everything is to work on so far, and I've never seen header bolts as accessible as they are on this thing, and the whole exhaust was off in less than 40mins, which isn't bad without a hoist.

Had a look at the nitrous kit too. Looks pretty comprehensive. Uploading an unboxing video right now. :)

The exhaust manifold bolts are easy, the damn intake manifold bolts will drive you insane.

blownhemi
02-03-11, 06:03 PM
The exhaust manifold bolts are easy, the damn intake manifold bolts will drive you insane.

You haven't seen insanity until you've worked on a hemi six, but thanks for the warning.

blownhemi
02-03-11, 06:24 PM
I love opening new presents. :)

_UyTLYhFcQg

blownhemi
03-03-11, 11:07 AM
The 28-spline minispool ($80 off ebay) just showed up via courier, so there's another piece to the puzzle.

Now just waiting on the 3.9gears and the XR6 head.

RotorBoy
03-03-11, 06:48 PM
Looks like your moving along at a good pace.

I've been eyeing the sniperkits off on ebay. Think I might need a shot to get the ea moving a little quicker off the line. How much did u end up paying for the kit?

blownhemi
03-03-11, 07:20 PM
Looks like your moving along at a good pace.

I've been eyeing the sniperkits off on ebay. Think I might need a shot to get the ea moving a little quicker off the line. How much did u end up paying for the kit?

$480 from a seller by the name of Tuff Car Parts. Service was good, postage was $30, but the kit weighs almost 10kg.

blownhemi
03-03-11, 07:23 PM
Spent a bit of time on the car today. I finished removing the old exhaust manifold and fitted up the headers and started building the exhaust. I know I'll have to pull it all off again when I do the head swap but with time flying by I don't want to be waiting a week for the head to arrive before I get started. Might as well get it sorted now.

Sounds good straight out of the headers, and it's got some poke launching out of the shed although traction is really an issue now.

buzz
03-03-11, 07:54 PM
Sounds good straight out of the headers, and it's got some poke launching out of the shed although traction is really an issue now.

VHT Trackbite for the driveway?

Srsly tho, it really sounds like it is coming together. Definately looking forwards to seeing results and reading the full story, success or otherwise.

blownhemi
03-03-11, 07:59 PM
Forgot to mention. Had some excitement in the shed too. Dragged out the cut off saw to slice up some exhaust tubing and the cut off wheel exploded. All caught on video along with, "What the fuck was that?"

The guard caught it all, but I was a little miffed seeing it was the first time i'd had a chance to use the thing. The reciprocating saw got called in to do the job instead.

blownhemi
03-03-11, 08:01 PM
VHT Trackbite for the driveway?

Srsly tho, it really sounds like it is coming together. Definately looking forwards to seeing results and reading the full story, success or otherwise.

Yeah, I've to go away in a few weeks so I have to hook in and get it done. This is going to happen one way or the other, because the money is spent and the missus expects a result. :)

And no, I don't think she's hoping I win a big wooden dick. :rotflol:

aaron_hogan
03-03-11, 08:58 PM
Forgot to mention. Had some excitement in the shed too. Dragged out the cut off saw to slice up some exhaust tubing and the cut off wheel exploded. All caught on video along with, "What the fuck was that?"

The guard caught it all, but I was a little miffed seeing it was the first time i'd had a chance to use the thing. The reciprocating saw got called in to do the job instead.

My old man had a grinder blade explode - right into his face. Smashed jaw, cheek bone, (false) teeth, cut through and opened up his chin and cheek - miraculously missed his lips and eye. He was picking bits of stone out of his face for two years. Oh and the first doctor just stitched him up. After a week of complaining to mum he had a sore face he got an x-ray and thats when they found the fractures. :knock:

safety first kids!

blownhemi
04-03-11, 06:55 AM
My old man had a grinder blade explode - right into his face. Smashed jaw, cheek bone, (false) teeth, cut through and opened up his chin and cheek - miraculously missed his lips and eye. He was picking bits of stone out of his face for two years. Oh and the first doctor just stitched him up. After a week of complaining to mum he had a sore face he got an x-ray and thats when they found the fractures. :knock:

safety first kids!

Ouchy!

Tils
04-03-11, 07:05 AM
Not wrong there!

blownhemi
05-03-11, 07:08 AM
Latest update on Project Bluebird, it's now sporting a new exhaust system, and I've started with the nitrous install.

vOa_yVwYXXI

The 3.9 gears and the XR6 head are on their way now, should be here some time next week. It's all flying along now, I"m going to spend some time in the shed today.

Som what do you guys reckon? Intake through the bonnet?

Nollsy
05-03-11, 10:22 AM
Love the "ford stick" holding up the bonnet :lol:
may as well piss those bonnet struts off ..... just extra weight :lol:
Great videos...

blownhemi
05-03-11, 11:55 AM
Love the "ford stick" holding up the bonnet :lol:
may as well piss those bonnet struts off ..... just extra weight :lol:
Great videos...

I was thinking the same, but they will hold the bonnet up for short periods so they will be handy at the track. I just didn't want the bonnet falling on my head when i was working on it.

Potsy
05-03-11, 01:24 PM
You actually do a very good commentary. I like each episode more than the last.
Love the stick welder povo exhaust...

blownhemi
05-03-11, 02:00 PM
You actually do a very good commentary. I like each episode more than the last.
Love the stick welder povo exhaust...

Thanks dude. I don't actually enjoy getting in front of the camera, but the alternative is no videos. Using the little Kodak Zi8 makes it easier though, no tapes to buy just fill a memory card and then slot it into the laptop to edit.

Not much choice on the welding either. :)
I live a fair way from any major centre, so i'm limited to doing everything myself. So it was either weld it up using the stick (i only blew through the pipe once) or go get some mig gas, and I think i'd have to renew my account it's been so long since I got mig gas (might cost me a few hundred :eek:).

blownhemi
05-03-11, 05:20 PM
Started on the nitrous install today but i wasn't happy with the factory intake so I decided to try my hand at fabricating something else, soemthing that could also bring some cold air in from the outside.

With much cutting welding and grinding I created this monstrosity. It just may be the ugliest cold air induction ever made, but it certainly suits the 13s for $1300 ideal. :)

I call it, "The Great Big Box of Love"

http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_7958.jpg

http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_7962.jpg

http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_7964.jpg

Obviously I've got lots of finishing off to do, but what do you reckon? Should i use it?

My plan was to plumb the fogger in from the rear spraying directly at the throttle body.

Potsy
05-03-11, 05:36 PM
Gives a new meaning to the term "Bug Catcher" i suppose.....

buzz
05-03-11, 05:49 PM
I was going to suggest one of those fake intercooler style front mount cold air, rocks and small animal intakes you see on Hondas and Lancers.

blownhemi
05-03-11, 05:53 PM
I was going to suggest one of those fake intercooler style front mount cold air, rocks and small animal intakes you see on Hondas and Lancers.

But that costs money. :)

buzz
05-03-11, 05:56 PM
Not buying one... just... copying...

blownhemi
05-03-11, 06:05 PM
Not buying one... just... copying...

Got any pictures?

buzz
05-03-11, 06:19 PM
Got any pictures?

Gayness is just a click away. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACCORD-98-02-L4-FRONT-MOUNT-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-SYSTEM-99-/330359442330?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item4ceaf50b9a)

blownhemi
05-03-11, 06:33 PM
Gayness is just a click away. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACCORD-98-02-L4-FRONT-MOUNT-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-SYSTEM-99-/330359442330?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item4ceaf50b9a)

LOL, i'll stick with my big box. :)

morerevsm3
05-03-11, 07:33 PM
I have a very similar box on my E30 race car, in the foglight hole with a hose feeding the air into a sealed aircleaner box

schnitzelburger
06-03-11, 10:25 AM
haha love the drop saw action.

Rhys
06-03-11, 11:21 AM
Do you really want to go cutting a hole in the bonnet? Just remove a headlight and weld some bends into a pick up.
Isn't this going to be a salt lake racer at a later time? Therefore you'd want to do reversable mods and not have to buy a new bonnet later down the track.

I'm really enjoying the vids buy the way, good work.

Nollsy
06-03-11, 12:42 PM
Gives a new meaning to the term "Bug Catcher" i suppose.....

I'd be thinking magpie catcher....

blownhemi
06-03-11, 02:55 PM
Do you really want to go cutting a hole in the bonnet? Just remove a headlight and weld some bends into a pick up.
Isn't this going to be a salt lake racer at a later time? Therefore you'd want to do reversable mods and not have to buy a new bonnet later down the track.

I'm really enjoying the vids buy the way, good work.

Bonnets are cheap and with the money i'll have to spend to bring it up to Salt Race spec (roll cage, fire system, etc) it'll be a minor inconvenience.

Bends cost money and i'm close to budget - plus an intake system with alot of bends isn't necessarily better.

peal
06-03-11, 04:21 PM
Would just bodge up the normal intake and duct it with some really cheap flexi pipe.

<---cop
06-03-11, 05:26 PM
I would have sat a Bunnings LS1 dual paint tray OTR on the radiator and piped straight back to the TB.

Proven $20 performance.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/wackee/fit3.jpg
http://members.optusnet.com.au/wackee/fit2.jpg
http://members.optusnet.com.au/wackee/otr3.jpg

blownhemi
06-03-11, 05:45 PM
I would have sat a Bunnings LS1 dual paint tray OTR on the radiator and piped straight back to the TB.

Proven $20 performance.

Because of the distance from the front of the car to the throttle body you would probably need four paint trays. :)

I just remembered too, someone mentioned that cutting a hole in the bonnet would wreck it for the salt lake. In the class I'm planning down the track you can run a hood scoop, so it would be easy enough to cover the hole in the hood later on. Cowl induction scoops are popular on the salt.

I'm not feeling a whole lot of love for, "The great big box of love" :)

I didn't work on the car at all today, but I'll tidy up the box tomorrow and re-present it for everyone's approval.

If anyone has any objections to me running a scoop like this, make your voices heard now, before I cut a hole in the bonnet. :)

RotorBoy
06-03-11, 06:53 PM
Go check out if ur local car wash has any spare vacuum cleaner hoses laying around..2 feeding the factory box should give it plenty of air

jsepovarich
06-03-11, 06:54 PM
what about pvc pipe? its relativley cheap. just take out the headlight when you're at the track.

<---cop
06-03-11, 07:02 PM
Actually, I' saw some years ago on FF, someone took a standard intake manifold, cut the centre section with TB off, flipped it over and welded it back on so the TB was facing the inner guard. Then one bend and piped straight to the passenger side headlight which was removed. I have always thought it was the most efficient cheap alternative I've seen.

Will see if I can find pics.

Dansedgli
06-03-11, 07:06 PM
???

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/images/Ford-Typhoon-specs-4.jpg

<---cop
06-03-11, 07:47 PM
Yep, like that but N/A so straight out the "headlight hole".

blownhemi
06-03-11, 08:17 PM
Looks cool but again, it cost money to get people to weld stuff like that, I can't weld aluminium.

Also doesn't solve the issue of plumbing the fogger which has to be around 6inches from the throttle body. My scoop, as bodgy as it is, solves that issue.

buzz
06-03-11, 08:25 PM
Also doesn't solve the issue of plumbing the fogger which has to be around 6inches from the throttle body. My scoop, as bodgy as it is, solves that issue.
:huh:
Where is the nitrous/fuel nozzle supposed to be? I would have thought putting it after the throttle plate either in the actual tb or making a spacer for it between the tb and the inlet manifold would be the ticket. (note, its been fricken years since I read up on nawz hotness...)

blownhemi
06-03-11, 08:35 PM
:huh:
Where is the nitrous/fuel nozzle supposed to be? I would have thought putting it after the throttle plate either in the actual tb or making a spacer for it between the tb and the inlet manifold would be the ticket. (note, its been fricken years since I read up on nawz hotness...)

The instruction sheet is out in the shed at the moment but from memory it says 6 to 12 inches from throttle body, or between the MAF and TB if it runs a MAF.

Something to do with it being a "Soft Plume" fogger nozzle.

RotorBoy
06-03-11, 08:37 PM
It's mounted there so there is an even spread of the gas between the cylynders.

hrt5l
06-03-11, 09:34 PM
Will the turbulence in the giant scoop effect the nos if the nossle is placed in the giant scoop? The giant scoop would work well otherwise

blownhemi
07-03-11, 07:01 AM
Will the turbulence in the giant scoop effect the nos if the nossle is placed in the giant scoop? The giant scoop would work well otherwise

It's a good question, and the answer is... NFI!

My plan is to put the fogger nozzle in from the rear, down in the half-pipe section, facing the throttle body... and hope it works.

<---cop
07-03-11, 08:12 AM
Paint tray OTR, 3" pvc pipe striaght over rocker cover, 90 degree bend into TB.

I done photoshop.

GHaST
07-03-11, 08:45 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3111/2834305343_4dbbf7fff7.jpg?v=0

tortfeaser
07-03-11, 02:55 PM
LOLzer.

blownhemi
07-03-11, 05:05 PM
Paint tray OTR, 3" pvc pipe striaght over rocker cover, 90 degree bend into TB.

I done photoshop.

I had a look at doing it this way today but no go.

The bonnet seals hard against the radiator support and the slope of the bonnet leaves little room for a pipe running length ways along the rocker cover. I could get creative with a bunch of bends, but each bend costs me flow and then it gets to the point of, "why change anything at all"?

So i'm still working on "The Big Box of Love" at the moment. Just silver soldered the major joints and cleaned it up a bit. I reckon it'll look good painted black. :)

[TUFFVQ]
08-03-11, 07:55 AM
It looks ghetto. But i think this is what these projects are all about, therefore i approve :)

blownhemi
08-03-11, 09:36 AM
;841037384']It looks ghetto. But i think this is what these projects are all about, therefore i approve :)

That was kind of my thinking too. I've been looking around at cold air induction systems and everything is going to put me over budget for minimal gains (3-5kw). It may look ugly, but this thing will work well at the strip and only cost me time. The materials are just scrap from the shed.

I'm still hesistant to cut the bonnet though. :(

<---cop
08-03-11, 10:20 AM
The bonnet seals hard against the radiator support and the slope of the bonnet leaves little room for a pipe running length ways along the rocker cover.

http://www.cheshirecatstudios.com/wi.php?src=reviews/dementium-2/sledgehammer.jpg

blownhemi
08-03-11, 10:37 AM
And you reckon i'm rough! :)

blownhemi
08-03-11, 10:52 AM
Woohoo, XR6 head just showed up via courier (good thing I work from home). Not sure what he packed it in but the package weighs 35kg.

Now I've got to order a head gasket kit, there goes another $99. All I'm waiting on now is the 3.9 gears.

EDIT: i was expecting to find a couple blocks of wood in there or something but nup, the head/cam/rocker & cover are actually that heavy.

[TUFFVQ]
08-03-11, 01:51 PM
Aren't they an alloy head as well?!

blownhemi
08-03-11, 02:19 PM
;841037851']Aren't they an alloy head as well?!

Yep, a bloody heavy alloy head.

TK
08-03-11, 02:21 PM
Many a mechanic has fubared their back fitting a 4L ford head complete with rocker gear.
Fuckers are HEAVY.

buzz
08-03-11, 05:25 PM
Many a mechanic has fubared their back fitting a 4L ford head complete with rocker gear.
Fuckers are HEAVY.

...compared to the old 170/200/220 heads?

Tils
08-03-11, 05:28 PM
250 Cast iron heads.....

buzz
08-03-11, 05:29 PM
I was thinking of those old ones with the inlet manifold in the casting...

Tils
08-03-11, 05:31 PM
old log head non cross flow 200's? 250 pre alloy head is a bigger cunt... lol

blownhemi
09-03-11, 12:43 PM
Ordered a new head gasket and bolts today, the last piece of the puzzle - $99 thanks for coming.

RotorBoy
09-03-11, 12:48 PM
AU gear?

blownhemi
09-03-11, 01:12 PM
AU gear?

Nah, the AU Multilayer gasket would put me over budget. They cost too much.

RotorBoy
09-03-11, 01:18 PM
Damm was hoping u had found a cheap source

Chase Rockwell
09-03-11, 01:28 PM
Fuckers are HEAVY.

We use a hoist to do the head on dad's 4.2 jag motor.

blownhemi
09-03-11, 05:12 PM
We use a hoist to do the head on dad's 4.2 jag motor.

Yerah, I've seen a Jag head. They're a big bastard and with twin cams and everything they'd have to be heavy.

At the moment I'm serious considering just sticking the head to the side for the moment. I want to use it but time is getting short. Between my mates work, my work and heathcote race dates there's not much lining up. We're even considering towing it to WSID for a Wednesday night.

Does anyone know if you can race an unregistered car at a WSID street meet?

<---cop
10-03-11, 08:41 AM
After your entry form has been processed and you have your wristband, return to your vehicle
and slowly drive around to the Scrutineering building via Staging Lane number 6. Scrutineers
will check the roadworthiness of your vehicle (brakes, steering, tyres, no fluid leaks and so on)
and that you have an approved helmet, long pants, long sleeves and enclosed footwear. They
will mark your windscreen with a temporary race number (T…), a staging lane number and
then affix a run sticker to record how many times you race during the night.

Important items for competitors to bring:
Current drivers licence
An Approved Helmet
Long-sleeved shirt
Long pants
Enclosed shoes (no thongs or sandals)

Answer appears to be yes... but it is WSID. I'd call.

<---cop
10-03-11, 08:42 AM
After your entry form has been processed and you have your wristband, return to your vehicle
and slowly drive around to the Scrutineering building via Staging Lane number 6. Scrutineers
will check the roadworthiness of your vehicle (brakes, steering, tyres, no fluid leaks and so on)
and that you have an approved helmet, long pants, long sleeves and enclosed footwear. They
will mark your windscreen with a temporary race number (Tů), a staging lane number and
then affix a run sticker to record how many times you race during the night.

Important items for competitors to bring:
Current drivers licence
An Approved Helmet
Long-sleeved shirt
Long pants
Enclosed shoes (no thongs or sandals)

tim510
10-03-11, 09:07 AM
or just bung some plates on it from another car and race.

blownhemi
10-03-11, 09:08 AM

Thanks for reminding me, I'll call now. Tried calling last night, seeing the street meet was on, but of course it went straight to message service.

Just rang, and negotiated the huge phone menu, and the lady said yes, unregistered cars are fine, but when I mentioned a five hour trip she said okay I get someone to double check. They're going to call me back. :)

blownhemi
10-03-11, 10:16 AM
Diff gears just showed up - 3.89:1.

I dare say they are going to be fun to fit. Job for the weekend I guess. The next five days are going to be busy if we decide to head to WSID next week. I may still consider making some passes at Heathcote yet, but that might be in April.

blownhemi
10-03-11, 04:45 PM
Finally got a call back, all good to race an unregistered car. He did mention though that they'll want some kind of trim panels inside; either factory or aluminium sheet.

But it won't be next week. My missus reminded me that she had booked that day for other plans. Oh well!

It was a bit wet outside today but I decided to not let that disuade me. Finally bit the bullet and sliced through the bonnet today; the scoop is done, the bonnet is cut, the fogger nozzle is screwed into place. Now I've just got to plumb the rest of the lines, switches and the position the solenoids. Didn't take any pics today though. Maybe tomorrow.

It actually looks all right. Not as good as a bought one maybe but it'll do the job.

morerevsm3
10-03-11, 05:00 PM
Diff gears just showed up - 3.89:1.

I dare say they are going to be fun to fit. Job for the weekend I guess. The next five days are going to be busy if we decide to head to WSID next week. I may still consider making some passes at Heathcote yet, but that might be in April.

13 weeks would be first weekend in April, but no T&T that weekend, it may be the weekend after when I can get there due to racing commitments other weekends

blownhemi
11-03-11, 05:22 PM
Spent most of the day in the garage today sorting out the nitrous system. The kit is pretty well laid out and got everything you need, but it's a time consuming little fucker to install, especially when you're trying to film it as well.

Here's the "great big box of love" in it's final form. It'll scoop that air in nicely, but yeah I've got no idea how it'll affect the nitrous spray. The fogger is screwed in from the back and pointing directly at the throttle body.
http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_7978.jpg

This is how far it pokes through the bonnet.
http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_7981.jpg

And this will give you an idea of how big it is.
http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_7983.jpg

If I thought about it better I would have made it big enough to fit a factory air filter panel in the front.
http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_7985.jpg

I tried to mount the solenoids as neat as I could. Originally they were pointed straight up but the fuel line dictated that they be laid over at first. Then the fuel line that came with the kit leaked and so I grabbed a longer piece of -4AN i had in the shed and used that instead. Oh well, they look okay laid over like that.
http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_7989.jpg

Here's what the lines look like running to the solenoids. The bottle line is in and the fuel line has been Tee-ed off the factory line (what a prick of a job). i've got the wiring half done, just finish that up in the morning and then i'll be working on the diff.
http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_7992.jpg

Crawling up under the car to fit the bottle feed line and then to tee-off the main fuel line for the fuel feed was a prick of a job. Got to love the fact that they run the feed and return right next to each other. After a bit of head scratching I worked it out - the return runs off the regulator.

Tomorrows job is the the diff. I was hoping to have the head gasket today as well so I could do that over the weekend but the bastards only posted it today; despite the fact that I paid them by bank deposit straight away (same bank so it would have gone straight through).

Oh well, it'll give me something to do next week.:ugh2:

Next video update has been prepared. Might post it up tonight.

blownhemi
12-03-11, 07:40 AM
Video update number six. The video is slightly behind the photos.

Enjoy.

8WxplAWQf7A

GHaST
12-03-11, 08:49 AM
I dig it.. serious awesomeness here!

buzz
12-03-11, 08:53 AM
Having the nitrous and fuel nozzles in the open space worries me... I would have thought they should be in an area where the air is completely under vacuum or under the strongest vacuum and not more open space where the vacuum pressure is less strong. Still, even if the engine only gets a dilute mix so long as the proportion is right it should still be effective.
Keep in mind that the fuel particles are heavier than air and might do something that doesn't follow the smooth flow of air. At least be real careful to ensure there is nowhere the fuel that doesn't get sucked in can pool in the back of that scoop and cause a backfire.

blownhemi
12-03-11, 11:09 AM
Having the nitrous and fuel nozzles in the open space worries me... I would have thought they should be in an area where the air is completely under vacuum or under the strongest vacuum and not more open space where the vacuum pressure is less strong. Still, even if the engine only gets a dilute mix so long as the proportion is right it should still be effective.
Keep in mind that the fuel particles are heavier than air and might do something that doesn't follow the smooth flow of air. At least be real careful to ensure there is nowhere the fuel that doesn't get sucked in can pool in the back of that scoop and cause a backfire.

At least if it does backfire it really doesn't have anywhere to build pressure, should just vent out the front.

And remember the only time this thing is going to be using the nitrous is at wide open throttle, so there should be a fair stream of air heading towards the throttle body anyway.

buzz
12-03-11, 01:44 PM
Yes, those two factors should mitigate things. And so long as Edo isn't there doing pics on the day, if it were to backfire someone should get a good set of photos...

blownhemi
12-03-11, 09:58 PM
Finished the nitrous install today. Everything seems to work fine, but can't do the final test until I get some NOS. :)

Started on the diff, going to try and do it all in the car. Had to come in from the garage early (my turn to cook dinner), but the diff is drained, Watts link removed, tailshaft undone (what a prick of a job) and the pinion nut loosened (much easier than expected).

Tomorrow i'll get into the heavy duty nitty-gritty shit.

blownhemi
13-03-11, 12:13 PM
Minispool is in the diff centre, just putting the gears in now. Short lunch break then back into it.

hrt5l
13-03-11, 12:27 PM
The box of love looks hungry for lots of air. The cooner is coming along nicely

Fondles
13-03-11, 12:37 PM
Why did you clamp that pipe in the drop saw then use the sawzall ?

peril 787b
13-03-11, 01:48 PM
His drop saw blade exploded, guess using the vice of the dropsaw was the best option to hold the pipe.

Nollsy
13-03-11, 01:50 PM
Why did you clamp that pipe in the drop saw then use the sawzall ?

:)

blownhemi
13-03-11, 02:07 PM
His drop saw blade exploded, guess using the vice of the dropsaw was the best option to hold the pipe.

Yep, best way to hold it. I need to set myself up a decent bench vice.

blownhemi
13-03-11, 03:28 PM
Guys i've hit a slight snag and just need some advice.

Been under the car most of the day doing this bloody diff. What a pain in the arse, if it wasn't worth half a second i wouldn't have even bothered.

At this point it was all happy days. The mini-spool was in the centre and I was ready to put the pinion in.
http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_7997.jpg

But I didn't realise the pinion bearings were different sizes. I slipped the pinion in, did it up all the way and bottomed out the yoke with 1/4in still to go. I cursed and swore and ranted, then pulled the bloody thing out and sat them side by side. As you can see, the bearing on the 3.08 pinion is much larger than the bearing on the 3.89 pinion.
http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_8011.jpg

I pulled the bearing cup out and it had the thinnest of shims behind it. Naturally it sits nicely in the 3.08 pinion.
http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_8003.jpg

But on the 3.89 pinion, even though it seems to spin nicely enough, the bearing protrudes through the bearing cup which is obviously not ideal. I could try and dig up a super thick shim, but that's not really the proper way to set the bearing up. Plus i can't imagine the gears meshing properly if i do that.
http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_8006.jpg

So I guess my question is, how common are these big pinion bearings? i've got a couple of Valiant diffs here and i was wondering if it's worth pulling one of those apart to get the smaller bearing cup ot not.

Anyone run into a similar problem?

blownhemi
15-03-11, 08:36 AM
Geez guys, don't all answer at once. :)

Anyway, what I'm going to do is strip the bearings from both pinions. If I don't damage it i'll transfer the bearing across from one pinion to the next. Otherwise i'll just fit a fresh bearing to the pinion and go with that.

But why is it that nearly all diff specialists are cranky cunts who don't want to tell you anything, except to say, you can't do it ("it" refers to everything and anything to do with diffs). I mean, none of these guys are rocket scientists.

The head gasket finally showed up today, but I'm not going down that road until I get the diff sorted. One battle at a time.

2JZR31
15-03-11, 02:24 PM
I gave up when I done mine and paid someone to do it. Setting up diffs is a PITA. By the way I have been enjoying your vids. Top work.

blownhemi
15-03-11, 05:37 PM
I gave up when I done mine and paid someone to do it. Setting up diffs is a PITA. By the way I have been enjoying your vids. Top work.

Thanks dude, my wife laughs every time I edit one and calls me an idiot, but hey it's a bit of fun. There's a couple haters as well, but fuck 'em. I'd rather do something than do nothing.

I've found an answer for my diff issue. The problem is my 0575 diff seems to use the larger pinion bearing from the AU Falcon's 0578 diff.

Typically the EL and earlier cars run the smaller pinion bearing which is what was on my 3.89 pinion. But at the bearing shop the EL pinion bearing they dropped on the counter was clearly too small. So we looked at the AU pinion bearing and bingo, it was the right one. I suspected this was the case, but all the diff "experts" told me this wasn't possible. One even reckoned I should swap housings.

So I put the pinion in the hydraulic press with a bearing separator and pressed the old bearing off, then pushed the new bearing on. Funny enough, it's the first time i've ever done it, but it was a peice of piss, dunno why I haven't done it before.

Here we are, one pinion with a new bearing. We'll see how it all fits tomorrow.
http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_8015.jpg

Dogsballs
15-03-11, 09:28 PM
sweet!

Tils
15-03-11, 09:38 PM
Gotta love it when things work out and you prove someone wrong! LOL

blownhemi
16-03-11, 08:21 AM
Episode Seven - the nitrous install. The kit was excellent it had just about everything you need, except: bolts for the bottle brackets & male spade connectors.

cqChfTq6TyQ

I'll have to go and get some gas soonish.

oscar32
16-03-11, 08:33 AM
There's a couple haters as well, but fuck 'em. I'd rather do something than do nothing.

Anytime anyone does anything publicly you get haters. Usually, they are either too stupid to do anything like what you are doing themselves, or (and this is more often the case) their overweight girlfreinds beat 3 shades of crap out of them every night.

Either way keep up the good work :)

OKE020
17-03-11, 11:20 PM
All i can hear is the bloody crickets!

I'd probably be mounting that nozzle in the throttle body :)

Tils
17-03-11, 11:50 PM
All i can hear is the bloody crickets!

I'd probably be mounting that nozzle in the throttle body :)

+1... but after... too much walling.

fat910
18-03-11, 10:49 PM
Holy sock tan batman!

blownhemi
23-03-11, 12:23 PM
Sorry about the lack of updates guys, I've been flat knacker this week trying to finish off the latest Street Machine Commodores magazine.

I haven't had time to sort the diff yet, but I'm hoping to get it done soon. And there's a fair chance the car will run at WSID when it runs.

GHaST
23-03-11, 12:41 PM
Obviously not running tonight?

blownhemi
23-03-11, 01:25 PM
Obviously not running tonight?

Seeing the gearset is still laying out on the bench... no. :)

blownhemi
27-03-11, 11:58 AM
Well the diff is back in and the car moves under it's own power. I had to drive home from Sydney on Friday just to finish the diff off, then I'm heading back up to Sydney tonight so I can be in the office on Monday, and I'll be up there for the next five weeks. Which means I'll probably have to get the car shipped up to Sydney to race it.

Not sure how good this diff it's going to be though. What a shit fight! I ended up cutting a few corners for the sake of time. I drove it around the yard and it seems okay for the moment (except for when the long grass wrapped around the tailshaft and created a hell of a racket), but obviously the moment of truth will be at the drags. I might do a garage burnout just before I go and see if it handles that. One thing is for sure, I'll hand to diff off to the experts next time.

As for the head, I think I might have to just run it without the XR6 head initially and then if I've got time then I'll do the head swap and see how it goes from there. I'll stick in the boot so I've got it with me in Sydney.

When I've got five seconds I'll have to finish off the next video too. :)

blownhemi
28-03-11, 04:54 PM
Wouldn't you know it, the guy I was going to use to get the car to Sydney had killed the motor in his truck. Looks like I'll have to find another way.

Kind of sucks, got the car pretty much finished now I've just got to get it to the track. :(

ALLMTR
28-03-11, 10:37 PM
Where is the car?

What kind of video camera are you using?

blownhemi
29-03-11, 09:49 AM
Where is the car?

What kind of video camera are you using?

Car is down near Albury, I'm using a little Kodak Zi8 to make my 13s for $1300 videos.

Justin Bieber
29-03-11, 04:31 PM
Started on the nitrous install today but i wasn't happy with the factory intake so I decided to try my hand at fabricating something else, soemthing that could also bring some cold air in from the outside.

With much cutting welding and grinding I created this monstrosity. It just may be the ugliest cold air induction ever made, but it certainly suits the 13s for $1300 ideal. :)

I call it, "The Great Big Box of Love"

http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_7958.jpg

http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_7962.jpg

http://www.scottysgarage.com.au/elfalcon/DSC_7964.jpg

Obviously I've got lots of finishing off to do, but what do you reckon? Should i use it?

My plan was to plumb the fogger in from the rear spraying directly at the throttle body.

Love it! I can't believe all the haters, this thing is fucking awesome. I peed a little just now when I saw it. If I saw that thing in the staging lane at the strip I think i'd fall to the ground with laughter and run around on the ground on my side!

It's so terrible, that's what makes it great. Watching this one with keen interest!

blownhemi
29-03-11, 05:27 PM
It's so terrible, that's what makes it great. Watching this one with keen interest!

Yep, that was kind of the idea. :)

I would have liked to keep it under the bonnet but it was going to cost too much.

OKE020
29-03-11, 06:53 PM
I cant believe i am hanging for the next video installment, crickets and all

blownhemi
30-03-11, 08:04 AM
Yeah, I'm working on it but now I'm in the Sydney office for a few weeks I've got to do my video stuff out of hours. Hopefully I'll have it up tonight some time.

Congrats on the seven by the way.

blownhemi
03-04-11, 07:13 AM
Next installments on Project Bluebird. Finally got those diff gears done. I was hoping to get the xr6 head done at some time too but I don't think it will happen because of wrok.

I think I'll just concentrate on taking it for a run now.

SSkfmeTDW-c

Ty_HLxoxtMM

ALLMTR
03-04-11, 07:23 AM
Car is down near Albury, I'm using a little Kodak Zi8 to make my 13s for $1300 videos.

Wouldn't Calder be closer?

Setanta
03-04-11, 08:17 AM
Awesome work and I love the video documentation - needs closure though! :)

Actually, all the vids need is some Tim Allen moments and you could out-rate the Aussie Top Gear series :D

Dogsballs
03-04-11, 12:05 PM
:)

blownhemi
03-04-11, 05:26 PM
Wouldn't Calder be closer?

It would, but I'm not working in Melbourne at the moment. I'm in Sydney for next four weeks so it makes sense to bring it up here.

blownhemi
03-04-11, 05:29 PM
Awesome work and I love the video documentation - needs closure though! :)

Actually, all the vids need is some Tim Allen moments and you could out-rate the Aussie Top Gear series :D

I'm not sure how silly I want to make it, but yeah it would probably rate better.:)

Takes money to do it all though and hard to film by yourself. Maybe I need to train the 10yo daughter to be a camera person, so I can ditch the static tripod.

blownhemi
06-04-11, 01:59 PM
Fun in the shed, testing the mini-spool

e6rh1rLGjuk

Looks like we might head down to Heathcote on the 15th of April to test this thing. Was hoping to also race on the 16th but my mate has something else on. So it's going to be one shot deal. Try one run NA, then hit the gas.

turbovaliant
06-04-11, 03:33 PM
You know you really should test the minispool again with the nitrous!

blownhemi
06-04-11, 03:41 PM
Very belated double tap.

blownhemi
06-04-11, 03:43 PM
You know you really should test the minispool again with the nitrous!

Probably should :)

My mate is filling the nitrous bottle for me while I'm Sydney so it's ready to go in a week or so.

GHaST
06-04-11, 03:54 PM
powerskids on your private road

aaron_hogan
06-04-11, 10:39 PM
You've got a brake light out. HTH

blownhemi
07-04-11, 09:03 AM
You've got a brake light out. HTH

Yep, it reduces the electrical load on the alternator for extra power when I'm doing my burnouts... or it might be that I couldn't be stuffed fixing it. :)

Actually the true answer is that I ratted the car for a couple parts to fix my wife's car when we first bought it. One of the parts was the tail-light loom on that side so my wife's car could have a full compliment of brake lights.

2JZR31
07-04-11, 09:16 AM
Great vids mate, and a good thing you done a proper skid vid with the spool. In the diff build vid you had a good vid showing a single spinner, but the spool vid only showed the front of the car so it may as well have been doing a single spinner.

+1 on testing the spool with nitrous.

blownhemi
14-04-11, 10:09 AM
All excited now. If all goes well (ie: If I get paid today), tonight I'm heading home and then tomorrow I'm heading down to Heathcote with a mate and we're going to run the Falcon.

We'll finally get to see if this thing is going to be on the money or not. Obviously we'll be taking plenty of photos and video, and I plan to run the thing until we run out of gas and/or kill it.

First run though I'm planning to run no gas and see how close I get to the target. I'll even run it on the skinny tyres. But then, if they fit, I'm going to put the G60 McCrearys on it, change the plugs, tweak the timing and flick the switch. First at 75hp and if everything feels right i'll step it up. I don't particularly want to oil down the track or anything though.

Should be cool.

Dogsballs
14-04-11, 11:27 AM
need drag radials. not enough hp for slicks.

<---cop
14-04-11, 11:42 AM
+1

blownhemi
14-04-11, 11:50 AM
need drag radials. not enough hp for slicks.

The McCreary's are treaded street tyres.

36Chambers
14-04-11, 01:37 PM
All excited now. If all goes well (ie: If I get paid today), tonight I'm heading home and then tomorrow I'm heading down to Heathcote with a mate and we're going to run the Falcon.

We'll finally get to see if this thing is going to be on the money or not. Obviously we'll be taking plenty of photos and video, and I plan to run the thing until we run out of gas and/or kill it.

First run though I'm planning to run no gas and see how close I get to the target. I'll even run it on the skinny tyres. But then, if they fit, I'm going to put the G60 McCrearys on it, change the plugs, tweak the timing and flick the switch. First at 75hp and if everything feels right i'll step it up. I don't particularly want to oil down the track or anything though.

Should be cool.

Brilliant!

Godspeed!

<---cop
14-04-11, 01:40 PM

Should be cool.

Does the left lane still add 20mph? :knock:

F|sh
14-04-11, 02:47 PM
does the kit have a purge valve? i am just curious if it will work with with maybe no gas for a second... then gas.

blownhemi
14-04-11, 03:08 PM
does the kit have a purge valve? i am just curious if it will work with with maybe no gas for a second... then gas.

No purge valve (that's an extra expense). The best way is to charge the nitrous line during the burnout to make sure the system is ready to go.

Ultimately the best way to do it is the have a bottle heater to get the pressure up to 900psi and a purge valve to make sure there's fresh and cool gas up the front. A mate of mine stages and hit the purge button just before the lights come down.

For my 13-second quest, I'll be fine with no purge or bottle heater.

blownhemi
14-04-11, 05:21 PM
Yay, got paid. I'm going racing. Already behind schedule though. I'm supposed to be in the car headed south already.

Jim
14-04-11, 06:04 PM
Good luck man!

F|sh
14-04-11, 06:55 PM
Yay, got paid. I'm going racing. Already behind schedule though. I'm supposed to be in the car headed south already.

cool

so a tea towel in boiled water will suffice for you then. Thats what george separovich used to do in his Black HK before he went 377ci and blower combo.

MRMOPARMAN
14-04-11, 07:45 PM
where and when ya racing? if its heathcote this weekend hopefully ill be able to come out and watch/vid or whatever?

blownhemi
15-04-11, 09:00 AM
where and when ya racing? if its heathcote this weekend hopefully ill be able to come out and watch/vid or whatever?

I'll be racing at Heathcote tonight, so come on out. If you got nothing to do I'll stick a camera in your hand, I've got a few. :)

We'll be leaving home about lunch time. Unfortunately we won't be racing tomorrow because my mate has other plans but at least we can get some laps in tonight. All giddy now. :) I think it's at least three or four years since I faced a tree.

Anyway, no time to talk, got to get ready. See you all on the flip side.

GHaST
15-04-11, 09:23 AM
g'luck.. !

[TUFFVQ]
15-04-11, 11:48 AM
Good luck mate, smash that 13 :)

nitrane
15-04-11, 03:45 PM
Good luck man, don't stop winding the gas in until the rods kick out!

XR6DAZZLER
15-04-11, 04:18 PM
Super effort champ, i've been waiting in angst for the next video

HoonBoy
15-04-11, 05:34 PM
taps foot impatiently... make sure you take note of the nitrous jets :)

MRMOPARMAN
15-04-11, 06:46 PM
ahh shit.. i cant do tonight, i assumed you'd be racing on the weekend. i didnt even know heathcote still did fridays!

good luck, and if you decide to race tomorrow or sunday.. just post up here and i should see it

Jim
15-04-11, 07:10 PM
is this the bus to the civic centre?