PDA

View Full Version : 99 Hilux Dual Cab

23Kev
17-04-11, 09:23 PM
So, finally I have a 4WD and figure I might as well chuck up a thread about it.

Don't have any pics just yet, will take some through the week.

It's an Blue Dual Cab SR5, 3RZ, 2.7l petrol, has some factory accessories, headlight protectors, side steps and a fibreglass canopy with roof racks and supports down to the tray. Was one owner, the guy has owned it since new. Only has 110400 km's which is stupidly low for a Hilux of this age. Picked it up cheap as.

Gave it a wash this arvo and the paint is nice and smooth although it's got some white paint overspray. Also has some scratches all over the body. Not too concerned with them, some will come out with a polish, as well as the paint overspray. The deeper scratches may get fixed eventually. The tray is a bit scratched up, but not that concerned with it.

Has some EFS Elite shocks on the front and standard shocks and springs on the back. I've put some 30" General Tire Grabber AT2 tyres on it.

I'll be cleaning up the body and interior first off, then need to clean up the engine bay. Although its got low kays I don't think the guy knew how to pick up a cleaning cloth. Also need to fit a CD/MP3 player, it's still got a tape player!!

Eventually I'd like to lift it up a couple of inches and fit out the tray with some space to put camping gear and stuff. We'll be using it on the beach, for camping and just general exploring around Brisbane.

Can't wait to get it dirty.

ZENNON
17-04-11, 09:38 PM
Good stuff Kev. Hope you get lots of good use (read: camping and fun) out of it!

Justin Bieber
18-04-11, 09:37 PM
Fuck Kev, sounds like you got a real pearler! A non white hilux, that's impressive just in itself!

If you're going to lift it i'd be looking more towards a bodylift, in my experiences they don't enjoy having the torsion bars wound up too far. The ride turns to shit and you have issues breaking idler arms and balljoints. That being said you can get a 1" lift out of the front torsion bars with no real problems.

I havn't had any real need to lift mine, the 31" tyres give it a bit of extra clearance and I just don't think its worth the hassle. If you encounter terrain you can't conquer as is then get a locker! The only real reason to lift a car is to fit bigger tyres and technically 31" is illegal in QLD on our luxes so lifting to fit 33s is not really the best idea.

Hope she goes good kev, lemme know if you need any help with it. Think ive got a workshop manual around somewhere.

23Kev
19-04-11, 11:25 AM
Have a crappy phone pic of the truck showing how it was when we first looked at it. Will take some more on the weekend, hopefully I'll be able to give it a polish and get it looking sweet.

It's been ages since we've had a car I really wanted, have been saving cash and not spending it on toys :( ....Such a good feeling seeing "my car" sitting in the driveway.....just have to get out and use it now. Has got my number plates on it as well (if you know me you know what they are...) so if you see me wave like a dick and I'll probably fob you off wondering why the fuck you were waving at me.... ;)

FishGuy: Yeh, I might get you over at some stage, can catch up and shit and you can show me they way you've setup your tray. Good points on the lift and stuff. Will just go with what I have for a bit and see how it goes.

23Kev
22-04-11, 06:14 PM
Some more photos. Gave it a quick polish in parts with some Meguiar's Paint Cleaner but I think I'm going to need some stronger stuff to get rid of the paint flecks. First photo is of the paint flecks, the rest are post polishing.

Any ideas on the best stuff to use to take off the paint flecks? I can scratch them off with my fingernail but don't particularly want to do that to each paint fleck.

Apart from these paint flecks its in damn good nick and a steal for the money I paid. So fucking good having a car I like again.

Now that it's clean I just need to get it dirty! :D

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_eMStKqugee8/TbEp-VsEwqI/AAAAAAAADhs/fCp9l7tPPuk/s800/IMG_3492.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_eMStKqugee8/TbEni6P9czI/AAAAAAAADhQ/9WRKkJZJqMs/s800/IMG_3535.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_eMStKqugee8/TbEnoKQEkaI/AAAAAAAADhU/IEhoh1HD22U/s800/IMG_3541.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_eMStKqugee8/TbEnrx3S2yI/AAAAAAAADhk/QrGQxu2SbSI/s800/IMG_3543.JPG

daz
22-04-11, 08:55 PM
Clay bar for paint specks Kev?
Nice car btw. Get an electronic rust prevention system on it asap. I have no idea if they really work to protect against rust or not (there's alot of debate), but they do seem to keep the paint nice. But first thing's first - needs a big arse bullbar :)
Body lift requires engineers cert btw, but can't be done legally at all if the car has SRS airbags.

GTREA
22-04-11, 09:19 PM
Was it white originally?

Looks to have overspray under the front / rear guards?

23Kev
23-04-11, 06:46 AM
Clay bar for paint specks Kev?
Nice car btw. Get an electronic rust prevention system on it asap. I have no idea if they really work to protect against rust or not (there's alot of debate), but they do seem to keep the paint nice. But first thing's first - needs a big arse bullbar :)
Body lift requires engineers cert btw, but can't be done legally at all if the car has SRS airbags.

Yeh I was thinking a clay bar as well. I've never used one so not really sure what they pick up. Maybe I'll give it a go today....

A big chrome bull bar will be one of the first things I get. Thats no pics' only modification request so therefore the easiest to approve. I dunno about the eletronic rust protection, the sound of them shit me off, bigtime. I dunno if I could stand that.

Was it white originally?

Looks to have overspray under the front / rear guards?

I had just hit under there with a gernie and cleaned off some shit, it's actually a much lighter blue, not white. I'm positive it's meant to be like that and also positive it was originally blue as I have the original sales receipt.

daz
25-04-11, 11:06 AM
A big chrome bull bar will be one of the first things I get. Thats no pics' only modification request so therefore the easiest to approve. I dunno about the eletronic rust protection, the sound of them shit me off, bigtime. I dunno if I could stand that.

They're quiet but.

Don't go with the fancy pants hairdresser chrome bar, get a good steelie. Still look great, but can be repaired when they hit things, also easy to weld additional shit to :)

23Kev
25-04-11, 03:30 PM
Have been having a look this morning at bull bars. A polished alloy one would be sweet, but I'm thinking they'll be pretty big $$$'s.

A powdercoated black one would be ok, just not sure if the no pics will like it.

Also watched a vid of the ARB Air Lockers, they look awesome as. No doubt there are downsides but a set of them has come up high on the "want to do" list.

takai
25-04-11, 04:20 PM
If you get a bull and want to sell that chrome front bar ill take it off your hands :)

daz
28-04-11, 08:11 PM
Yup, lockers are indeed awesome, and they'll let you get further up the track, a little too far up the track if you're not careful (meaning they can get you into spots where you can get in a big lot of trouble). Best thing I had in the patrol was a 2nd battery (with mgmt system) and Engel. Great for picnics, and also great for putting the cold groceries in and not have to worry about rushing home.

23Kev
29-04-11, 07:03 AM
Yeh, whats the go with the 2nd battery? What management do you need?

Will be getting a fridge at some stage, we've got our esky pretty well sorted for about 3 days worth of camping but anything longer than that it struggles. Doesn't help we always go away in summer....

daz
30-04-11, 12:14 PM
Just head down to ARB or TJM or the like and they'll sort you out with a kit or even install it for you. You'll need a battery tray to put somewhere in the engine bay, deep cycle battery, cabling, and management system - there's a few different types, you're better off going with the fullo schmick electronic type to prolong battery life. Basically the management system prioritises charging to the starting battery but isolates it when not charging so you don't risk draining it with your fridge etc plugged in.

23Kev
30-04-11, 04:44 PM
Sweet, another thing to put on the list of stuff I want.

This is gonna start getting expensive soon....

Justin Bieber
03-05-11, 10:56 PM

Think long and hard about the chrome Kev, they blind you when they catch the sun at certain times of day, not a good thing :D

I've got the TJM T15 winch bar on mine, love it. It's destroyed a few Roo's over the years with not so much as a dent in the bar. Big fan. The ARB bar is very similar and is also a good piece of kit.

I wouldn't bother with Rust Protection, it's snake oil in my opinion. Just spend a few hours cleaning it after trips to the beach and it should give you many years of faithful service. Mines getting some rust in the rear wheel arches behind the cab now, bloody stone chips have hacked up the paint and the cancer is forming. Need to get onto that ASAP come to think of it.

DO NOT GO TO ARB FOR DUAL BATTERIES!!!! In fact don't go to ARB for fucking anything, those useless cunts are fucking useless. Had 3 things installed on my rig and they fucked up all 3. Complete nublets (Nundah store)

Dual batteries is an easy DIY job, you need a Redarc solenoid ($120-$150), off the shelf Piranha battery trey (About $120 from TJM) and the biggest battery you can fit. I've got a shit memory and can't remember if yours is petty or diesel?

I could only fit an 8" battery into the second battery trey I got off TJM so I ended up moving the starter battery into the AUX trey which let me fit a big fuck off 12" Deep Cycle into the spot from the factory battery.

And yes gets very expensive after a while! But it's stuff you can actually enjoy. Our lux is setup now, been camping/fishing in it 3 weeks in a row now. Having a well setup 4wd really is the key to staying sane these days, gets you out of the city as often as possible!

23Kev
16-05-11, 07:09 AM
Well have just come back from a couple weeks in Thailand (damn there are a shitload of Hiluxes over there) and am keen to get into the Lux.

Am going to head out to TJM so I can work out some budgets then will get approval of shit to buy. I'm keen as for some rear storage drawers as well, as I love the idea of being organised.

A recovery kit will be the first thing I purchase and some rated recovery points chucked on will be the first mod.

Gats
16-05-11, 11:07 PM
Don't get a polished alloy bullbar. They're a cunt of a thing to keep looking good. And like mentioned, they reflect light and a generally a PITA.

Redarc solenoid FTW. Simple and just works.

thedude
17-05-11, 09:23 PM
Check out ORS (OffRoad Systems) for the drawer setup. They make some bloody good setups and can sell you a CKD DIY kit so you can keep the costs down.

Justin Bieber
18-05-11, 08:35 PM
Redarc solenoid FTW. Simple and just works.

This! I need to get a 2nd one to control my 3rd battery, just got it piggy backed onto the original at the moment.

Definitely look at DIY for the draws if your half way handy, those things are $1200+ I think. I made my shelf/storage thing with fridge slide for 80L waeco for $300 and it's held together over some rough terrain and taken quite a bit of abuse.

daz
18-05-11, 09:10 PM
The bought drawer systems are great, but very pricey and don't come with the satisfaction of knowing you made them yourself.
If you can put together a sub box in a Swift GTi ;) then you can build a drawer system.
And I'll go against the grain on battery isolators here....don't get a solenoid type, get the computerised type and you'll get a much longer life out of your battery.

23Kev
18-05-11, 09:31 PM
Yeh, the drawer system was more than likely going to be a DIY job. Dad and I will make something up for sure.

I'll investigate the battery shit at some stage. I think I'll definitely be going for the cheaper option on shit, certainly don't have the cash to fly about on mods anymore. I'd also prefer to spend some cash on getting some more power or making the car safer.

Oh, definitely appreciate all the advice as well. Always a good idea to go with what people have done before!

23Kev
26-06-11, 10:14 AM
I've been reading I should get some rated tow points as the factory ones are not strong enough when used with a Snatch strap.

On the front I have the below hook which seems pretty fucking useful and strong and also have the two standard looking tie down points. Is this enough for the front? I know you can't use the tie down points but hoping the pictured hook is good...

One the rear I have a Hayman Reece towbar and have heard people pull out the square towing toungue section and then stick the strap into it and secure with a strong pin.

I'm assuming that'll be the same deal for me, just have to get a pin too.

P.s. Can't wait for PF 4x4 day. Hopefully my nopics' hip surgery a couple of days beforehand won't stop me from going....grrr.....

seedy
27-06-11, 09:56 PM
I also read you can't use the standard items in a magazine. I went to buy rated towing points where i was told i was wasting my money. Since then i just use a equalizing strap between the two sides at the front and a tube which fits into the tow bar at the rear with a rated shackle bolted to the tube. You can buy them from any 4wd store but my 4wding friends just use the method of using the pin which holds the tow bar in as you mentioned.

daz
10-07-11, 09:20 AM
That hook is fine Kev. Unlike the ones I have on my GV. I tried pulling an almost dead tree branch down for firewood once (well it wasnt as dead as I thought it was evidently) and it folded the towing loop up into my rear bumper. They can get pretty wanky in the mags too so dont take everything they have to say for gospel. You'll stop reading them after a couple of subscriptions, just becomes regurgitated shit over and over.

nine2nine
10-07-11, 10:14 AM
Up Cape York last week the was a car with a new hole through there rear door from a tie down ripping off another car. Definitely happens and certainly dangerous. A rear recovery hitch or the tow pin are fine for the back, but depending on car the front ones tend to vary a lot.

irsa76
10-07-11, 10:49 AM
What ever you do DO NOT USE THE TOWBALL as a recovery point. If you're lucky the strap will slip off and not much will happen, if you're unlucky the ball will fail and possibly kill someone.
towbar recovery failure (http://www.examiner.com.au/news/local/news/general/smithton-man-killed-in-freak-accident/1640077.aspx)

23Kev
10-07-11, 03:53 PM
Sweet, good to know.

Have heard of a few shockers involving tow points failing. Definitely don't want that to happen to anyone around me!!

seedy
17-09-11, 06:16 PM
23KEV, Would you mind taking some pictures of the inside of the canopy. I have the same ute and canopy and want to install roof racks for my RTT over the canopy and want to see how they support the roof racks down to the ute tub.

Cheers

23Kev
25-09-11, 10:16 AM
23KEV, Would you mind taking some pictures of the inside of the canopy. I have the same ute and canopy and want to install roof racks for my RTT over the canopy and want to see how they support the roof racks down to the ute tub.

Cheers

Finally got around to doing this.

Hope they help you out. Let me know if you need anymore details.

23Kev
25-09-11, 10:20 AM
Went out with a meetup group, http://www.meetup.com/Off-Road-Camping-outdoor-adventures/, last weekend to Main Range National Park, Condamine River and some other tracks. Was a decent drive, although not too difficult at all, apart from 14 creek crossings.

Going to get a snorkel pretty soon. I figure that a snorkel combined with a decent air filter will give a tiny but more power and lots of safety from dust and water. From there we'll save some dollars and get some suspension.

Loving just driving it as it is. I'm sure it could get better, but haven't had any issues with it so far.

Justin Bieber
31-10-11, 12:39 AM
Kev have you got any young kids? I heard from a mate that our hilux doesn't have provision to mount a baby seat?? I had a look behind mine and could see nothing but I have nfi what i'm actually looking for...

23Kev
06-11-11, 08:34 PM
No kids for us. Can't say I've looked in the back seat apart from pulling the backrest forward.

Next time I'll check out the back and see what I can see.

Not sure what I'm looking for either....