PDA

View Full Version : D40 Navara clutch + flywheel fucked at 20k!?!?

TTerror
19-04-11, 10:28 PM
So I got the dreaded clutch problem that Ive heard about so many Navara's having.
Basically would get a rattle on startup from the clutch area, so I thought cool it's a warranty item so I'll take it in to get replaced.

So they pull the gearbox and the service manager rings me up and starts telling me that he doesnt think it will be covered. Then makes out like hes going to do me a favour and will try to get the clutch in as warranty but doesnt think the flywheel will be covered.

I'm WTF, how can a FLYWHEEL be worn out after 20,000km! I dont give a fuck if its dual mass or what, that shit should be good for 50,000km minimum!

Anyway, just looking for feedback and any links to Nissan recalls or other examples of similar situations.
Oh and also TELL ME IM RIGHT AND THE WORLD ISWRONG!

myliberty
19-04-11, 10:30 PM
Spain d40 or Japan d40?

Dual mass flywheels are gay, fuck it off.

fly510
19-04-11, 10:33 PM
Mine did 80k and it was destroyed. Got covered Under warranty as my thing did an engine so they replaced clutch and flywheel as well.

TTerror
19-04-11, 10:35 PM
I think its a spanish one, 09 model.

Im selling the car so I really give no fuck for what goes in there, I just dont want to pay for it!

MRGREATWALLMAN
19-04-11, 10:35 PM
they always say that. have a fit in the customer area and they will change their tunes rather quickly.

nissan are acutally really good for warranty.. sometimes they'll pay parts/or labour on stuff 12months out of warranty.

if you find a better dealer pay extra on top of warranty price and get an aftermarket clutch and flywheel for it (not many dealers will do that though)

TTerror
19-04-11, 10:41 PM
Theyve been fantastic with warranty so far

-new front struts to suit my Ironbar bullbar
-new diff disc to disc, just because there was a pinhole oil leak in the original
-aircon
-blown fuses
-washing windows that start squeaking from mud

but now that its something I actually need they play hardball!

rowdytoot
19-04-11, 10:48 PM
09 is thai built...

I did my clutch at 70,000 km- was a slowly slowly thing.
By that point i'd already given up on Nissan for warranty after failing to successfully get it's leaky rear axle seals fixed - and just bought parts and paid my local awesome workshop to do fix it properly. i just got a single mass f/wheel and HD aftermarket clutch and got the my normal workshop to fit it...

been good as gold ever since..

15UZU
20-04-11, 12:03 PM
fly510, yours popped an engine? ouch, any idea on the cause? cracked EGR cooler?

i`m of the opinion that a large amount of hassles with warranty items not being fixed is due to certain weak links at the dealership,

i`ve had many attempts to get the creaky drivers seat in my dmax fixed, taken them every service up to 40k`s and they still havn`t managed to fix it,at the 50k service i`m taking a loan dmax and saying fix it, replace the seat rails and dodgy interior light that has a mind of its own and your not getting the loan car back until its fixed,and i take it for a test drive to make sure.

had the dramas with my XR6T ute, useless dealership staff,many return trips to have simple shit fixed after several attempts.

CT
20-04-11, 01:40 PM
I did mine at 46000...very common issues with them. Just clicked over 102000 and can already feels the signs again. My dealership was good though.

Rowds, any additional driveline noise with the new flywheel/clutch combo?

fly510
20-04-11, 01:55 PM
mine didnt pop, it was still going fine. I drove it from Sydney to Noosa and back the next day and I noticed it used 3+ Litres of coolant. After initially not believing there was an issue the dealer fucked around for weeks with the car (initially it was the head gasket, then cracked head) they finaly worked out it cracked liner in cyl No.2.

New motor seems better all round, more down low and seems to rev better.

rowdytoot
20-04-11, 02:28 PM
yeah the dealership makes all the difference- my local stealership are useless- plenty of documented issues online with warranty stuff from them, so i went, fuck it i just want shit fixed properly... the dealer in sydney @ ryde was great (but only 1 service cos I moved!)

CT- there is a harmonic resonance type thing with mine at low revs under medium/high load in upper gears- below around 1300 rpm which i'm not sure it was there before the change, but otherwise as long as you don't really lug it you don't notice.

Defender
20-04-11, 03:31 PM
this would be my next 4wd after the defender, but all I read is the clutch's are shit..

Sounds like I need to budget a new clutch when buying .. :-/

rowdytoot
20-04-11, 03:42 PM
under 2K for new clutch and flywheel fitted if you know the right ppls.. hiluxes lunch clutches as well FWIW.

edo
20-04-11, 04:15 PM
Autos work so well with TDI Id be fucked if I could work out why you'd want a manual

CT
20-04-11, 04:38 PM
Thanks Rowds. Edo - apparently the new Navara auto is far better than the older one...I am waiting for the new Ranger....

rowdytoot
20-04-11, 06:22 PM
what CT said-old d40 autos are utter puss.

I'm curious about the ranger as well...

2JZR31
20-04-11, 07:16 PM
We replace clutches regularly in our work hiluxes. They are shit and just start slipping. One under 100K has had 3.

15UZU
20-04-11, 09:00 PM
cheers fly510, split liner is still pretty serious.

i asked because i heard from an unreliable source some D40`s where having issues with cracking in the EGR cooler, turn the engine off,pumps coolant into the EGR system,runs into intake manifold,next time its started ugly shit happens. unsubstantiated info tho.

Paydirt
20-04-11, 09:11 PM
Rowds and Fly, what did you clutch feel like when it started to go? I think mine has started its demise. Just the other day missus complained about the clutch and when I drove it that afternoon sure enough there is a shudder at the balance point of the clutch. Beginning to feel notchy on changes too.

TTerror
20-04-11, 09:31 PM
Yeah it started shuddering at balance point on mine.
I can live with that, but the flywheel getting cactus is just bullshit.

edo: Mine is petrol, and the auto I test drove was shit, felt way to loose at low revs whereas the petrol through a manual is really goddamn torquey. Im regretting now on resale though..

BoganDAVE
20-04-11, 09:34 PM
mines auto is okay, although I do think people complain about them when towing

Paydirt
20-04-11, 10:03 PM
By the way this thread may help you.

http://pcoa.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4885&p=42127&hilit=clutch+kit#p42127

fly510
20-04-11, 10:56 PM
cheers fly510, split liner is still pretty serious.

i asked because i heard from an unreliable source some D40`s where having issues with cracking in the EGR cooler, turn the engine off,pumps coolant into the EGR system,runs into intake manifold,next time its started ugly shit happens. unsubstantiated info tho.

yeh it was fucking serious all right, new crate motor from japan serious. I probably chose my words poorly above but they ended having the car for over 5 weeks and it got a brand new long motor, flywheel and clutch.

Other then coolant use the only symptom I had was it was slow/hard to start. (after putting a brand new battery in it) Turned out it was flooding cyl 2 every night so it was slow to crank as it forced the coolant out the exhaust port. The dealership didnt discover this until after they have the head off and send it away for a sonic test didnt find anything and bolted it back together.

I asked about fluid lock type damage and he said as they run 16:1 comp its unlikely you'll bend anything. Older units are 20:1 and they would have bent stuff if this issue had occurred (paraphase)

Rowds and Fly, what did you clutch feel like when it started to go? I think mine has started its demise. Just the other day missus complained about the clutch and when I drove it that afternoon sure enough there is a shudder at the balance point of the clutch. Beginning to feel notchy on changes too.

Notchy gear changes was one sign, then it started slipping badly in 5th gear around 60kms if you accelerated heavily. It came good for a while then the motor issue occurred and it was then replaced.

TTerror
29-05-11, 01:17 AM
Thought I'd update.

Got the Navara back, ended up getting a new clutch/flywheel under warranty, took about a month with 3 weeks of that being "waiting for approval from head office".

Anyway, to be fair I've had my entire diff, front susp, bonnet latch and flywheel/clutch and some aircon thing replaced under warranty, theres an easy 5-7k work there so Im pleased, fortunately I'm not one of those people to have to deal with a Nissan horror story.

Now i am selling the car...

Lon
29-05-11, 07:10 AM
Anyway, to be fair I've had my entire diff, front susp, bonnet latch and flywheel/clutch and some aircon thing replaced under warranty, theres an easy 5-7k work there so Im pleased, fortunately I'm not one of those people to have to deal with a Nissan horror story.

Keep it any longer and you may be able to add "new Wheels" acording to the latest recall notice. Apparently the STX 5 spoke alloys crack. I know of one guy on a diferent forum that his cracked around 20,000Km or so. That was several years ago as well. Its taken Nissan that long to admit there is a fault.

Anyway, 65,000Km on mine and still on the stock clutch... for now.

FatBoy
29-05-11, 11:11 AM
Autos work so well with TDI Id be fucked if I could work out why you'd want a manual

Thanks Rowds. Edo - apparently the new Navara auto is far better than the older one...I am waiting for the new Ranger....

What is the "new" one CT ?

I didn't realise they'd released an updated model. I like the idea of a auto turbo diesel but have heard plenty of horror stories about them...

Euroboost
29-05-11, 11:49 AM
What is the "new" one CT ?

I didn't realise they'd released an updated model. I like the idea of a auto turbo diesel but have heard plenty of horror stories about them...

This one:
http://www.bradgarlick.com.au/files/images/article_images/oct_10/all_new_ranger_brad.jpg
Developed by Ford Aus.
The Mazda version:
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/content/image/2/0/2011_mazda_bt_50_05-4cfcd284afc54.jpg

FatBoy
29-05-11, 12:11 PM
Oops. I meant which model is the "new" Navara auto ?

TonyJZX
29-05-11, 12:20 PM
you mean the V6 turbo?

fly510
29-05-11, 12:40 PM
no, Im assuming he means the S2 2.5L 4cyl with 140kw & 450nm as opposed to the model most of us have which is 127kw & 400nm. Apparently Nissan have resolved the woeful fuel economy in the auto and matched up the auto shift points to the donk. I havent driven one so I cant confirm either way.

FatBoy
29-05-11, 12:45 PM
no, Im assuming he means the S2 2.5L 4cyl with 140kw & 450nm as opposed to the model most of us have which is 127kw & 400nm. Apparently Nissan have resolved the woeful fuel economy in the auto and matched up the auto shift points to the donk. I havent driven one so I cant confirm either way.

This is what i was looking for, thanks mate...

Any idea when the changeover occurred ? Is it recent or a few years ago ?

ironhorse
29-05-11, 03:36 PM
Thought I'd update.

Got the Navara back, ended up getting a new clutch/flywheel under warranty, took about a month with 3 weeks of that being "waiting for approval from head office".

$7k worth of warranty work on a new car and your pleased ? !
The Navaras are shit ,im glad i didn't buy one when i was looking at them seriously Nissan must have spent millions on navara and pathfinder warranty repairs . The current Hilux isn't much better , soft . I suppose it's a reflection on their movement to the recreation market vehicles.

FatBoy
29-05-11, 09:45 PM
Any idea when the changeover occurred ? Is it recent or a few years ago ?

Looking at this article it seems like early 2010 ?

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/C96CECFA7DDF8605CA2576EF00080939

fly510
29-05-11, 09:52 PM
yep about 12 months ago, I recall it being mid year 2010

Guido
29-05-11, 09:54 PM
Have to agree... 7k in warranty and that's ok!!?? Such a shame as I realty liked the d40s.

TTerror
30-05-11, 12:13 AM
$7k worth of warranty work on a new car and your pleased ? !
The Navaras are shit ,im glad i didn't buy one when i was looking at them seriously Nissan must have spent millions on navara and pathfinder warranty repairs . The current Hilux isn't much better , soft . I suppose it's a reflection on their movement to the recreation market vehicles.

Look, truth be told yeah I am happy. I treat my cars hard, and new or used, shit breaks and it's just nice not having to worry about having to fork out thousands for something stupid like a non-standard thermostat or something.

Im just lucky I didnt need it anymore for work while it was in the shop and just had it as a fun car when most of the major shit went bang.
You are spot on, the current Hiluxs and Tritons have their fair share of issues, and we all know that paying top dollar to get a Merc for example doesnt insulate you from ending up with a lemon.
My theory is, have your fun and move on. Warranties up and the Nav is now for sale. Cheers.

TonyJZX
30-05-11, 01:29 AM
meh what do you want

when they manufacturer agrees to wholesale change shit for nix what can you do?

complain more?

even the alleged "best" (germans) do it

CT
30-05-11, 02:16 PM
Oops. I meant which model is the "new" Navara auto ?

Yep - mate at work has one and really likes it.