PDA

View Full Version : Challenge idea - The PF reasonably priced car challenge.

myliberty
06-05-11, 12:38 PM
Was just mulling this over today.
13's for $1300 for me thinking.

How about stealing the Top Gear reasonably priced car idea?

$1300 limit, car must be stock, no modifications from factory.

fastest lap times at QR wins?

tim510
06-05-11, 12:42 PM
I'd be looking at a manual 2.0L FWD car. Like a ST165 Celica or something.

Can we smash them into each other at the end?

ALLMTR
06-05-11, 12:44 PM
can see this as being easy to police

DrNick
06-05-11, 12:50 PM
Cam's Cilo would be worth $1300, so I will buy that off him. ;)

Could be one of those types of things that if anyone offers you $1300 for the car (other racer) then you have to sell it to them like I have seen around the place. That would be one way to police it.

S

myliberty
06-05-11, 01:15 PM
I'd be looking at a manual 2.0L FWD car. Like a ST165 Celica or something.

Can we smash them into each other at the end?

eyeing off a 3.0L v6 camry myself.

or a 1.8L twincam X3 excel.

myliberty
06-05-11, 01:18 PM
I agree, and was going to suggest that...

cars may be bought(swapped) off each other after each event for nothing more than a donation to PF fund - make Bill the official adjudicator.

myliberty
06-05-11, 01:21 PM
some cheating would be slightly encouraged. but no-one would over capitalise due to it being taken off you for a $20 donation to PF.

Mr Ed
06-05-11, 01:22 PM
I reckon a magna would be the go.

MRMOPARMAN
06-05-11, 01:25 PM
not much of a challenge really. best bargaining skills wins.

QR is no good for anyone but queenslanders also

Mr Ed
06-05-11, 01:34 PM
Maybe whoever gets lowest % time of the relevant V8 supercar lap time?

DrNick
06-05-11, 01:38 PM
I reckon a magna would be the go.

Blue smoke and all!!!

S

<---cop
06-05-11, 01:49 PM
$1300 cars on presumably bald tyres flying into bumpy hairpin turns?

lol

tinkerbell
06-05-11, 01:50 PM
no - just one car with multi drivers... same track, same day...

TT
06-05-11, 02:18 PM
mate bought his twincam exel that he races for $700 I think.
he's a member on here.

maybe he can fill in some details around cost etc.

Russell
06-05-11, 02:32 PM

This would be awesome.

Also much easier to Police, organise etc. Be a fucking cheap day out too if everyone put in.

TT
06-05-11, 02:37 PM
axe car to pieces at the end of the day?

Mr Ed
06-05-11, 03:50 PM
axe car to pieces at the end of the day?
...and post to powerchip one piece at a time?

myliberty
06-05-11, 03:53 PM

that was my first idea actually, but then figured demolition derby would also be fun.

fly510
06-05-11, 03:55 PM
mate bought his twincam exel that he races for $700 I think.
he's a member on here.

maybe he can fill in some details around cost etc.

$700 for a twin cam and $500ish for second hand semi's and $100 for misc servicing requirements. win.

tim510
06-05-11, 03:56 PM
carnell near stanthorpe is about the only chance of hiring a track and doing stupid things.

i am told you can camp there as well

big_pete
06-05-11, 04:00 PM
Demo-Derby for the win!

myliberty
06-05-11, 04:26 PM
I thought you could hire archerfield speedway as well?

Dirt laps would be fun, even if it's only two to the track at a time.

blownhemi
06-05-11, 04:31 PM
I've done the demo derby thing (a couple times), it's actually not as much fun as you think. Especially if you get taken out early.

Sketchy
06-05-11, 04:44 PM
I've done the demo derby thing (a couple times), it's actually not as much fun as you think. Especially if you get taken out early.

Moreso with a FWD, unless you drive the whole lap with the handbrake on.

The xx.xx laptime for $1300 idea was floated a few months ago and shot down I think due to safety concerns. 13 seconds you can rag a shitter for without too much worry, several laps at full belt in a shitbox would concern me greatly especially an epic fail into somewhere like turn 1 at Lakeside, morgan park or QR. Unless the rules are modified to allow safety items and shit, you'd blow your cash on either tyres, suspension or brakes and that would be that.

Going fast for cheap is cool, some cunt eating shit and killing themselves for cheap is not. Just my two cents, amuse yourselves with whichever challenge you like.

blownhemi
06-05-11, 04:51 PM
Moreso with a FWD, unless you drive the whole lap with the handbrake on.

The xx.xx laptime for $1300 idea was floated a few months ago and shot down I think due to safety concerns. 13 seconds you can rag a shitter for without too much worry, several laps at full belt in a shitbox would concern me greatly especially an epic fail into somewhere like turn 1 at Lakeside, morgan park or QR. Unless the rules are modified to allow safety items and shit, you'd blow your cash on either tyres, suspension or brakes and that would be that.

Going fast for cheap is cool, some cunt eating shit and killing themselves for cheap is not. Just my two cents, amuse yourselves with whichever challenge you like.

Not a bad assessment. Drag strips are all over Australia, easy to compare results, and the risk of death is fairly low.

TT
06-05-11, 05:05 PM
$700 for a twin cam and $500ish for second hand semi's and $100 for misc servicing requirements. win.

pretty much.

but he got a set of 15's with used semis for $200 from within the exel group.

he did however spend up a massive $600 on a full cage
and around $300 for fixed back seat and steering wheel.

myliberty
06-05-11, 05:08 PM
so in summation:

Completely stock 1.5L fwd cars are dangerous and shouldn't be driven on a race track...

got it.

blownhemi
06-05-11, 05:32 PM
so in summation:

Completely stock 1.5L fwd cars are dangerous and shouldn't be driven on a race track...

got it.

LOL, it's all a matter of perspective I guess. On the salt lake at 180kph is relatively safe, the same car upside down and on fire at 60kph is less so. :)

Personally I've got no interest in racing a stock 1.5L FWD car around a circuit. Let me at it with a bunch of spanners and a few dollars worth of parts, and then see what difference my effort made on the 1/4-mile, and I'm happy as a pig in shit.

The only reason the Top Gear thing works is because they're celebrities. If they were just dragging people off the streets we'd all be yawning.

Sketchy
06-05-11, 05:47 PM
so in summation:

got it.

If you reckon you can win the challenge with a completely stock 1.5l fwd car sure.

The same car different driver challenge will only work if everyone gets to the same track at the same time to use the same car. Like fuck thats going to happen with an Australia wide forum. Guys are going to want to use all sorts of different cars for different reason and I certainly dont want an excel sitting in my front yard, not even to blunt an axe.

The reality is going fast on the track costs money so everyone will be looking for the most powerful $300 shitters to spend the rest on good rubber, hopefully good brakes and suspension with scant regard for shit that might have worn out and busted on an old car with hundreds of thousands of kilometeres on it, or more likely the most powerful car they can get full stop and hope to fuck it stays together. If you want to throw yourself into a corner in something like that repeatedly (remember lap times come down with driving experience, working your braking points and entry speed, apex points etc not just hektik go fast shit) and once the red mist comes down you will, then be my guest.

My limited track experience tells me shit wears out and fucks up a lot quicker at the track, and always when you least expect it or want it, even on a well prepared car let alone a gutted 20 year old shopping trolley.

If track racing was cheap cause shit didnt break, everyone would do it ;)

As I said previously, if the rules allow extra safety costs for stuff like wheel bearings, sway bar links, fire extinguishers, partial or full roll cages, etc ,etc then sweet, all good. I'd rather a bunch of heated debate on the cost of item X rather than a thread full of "Tragic accident, RIP" or "Get well soon cunt, p.s is anyone fucking your wife for you while you are in hospital?".

I know what I'm like when I get on the track, after the first three corners I just want to go fucking fast and give no fuck for dodgy shit than might throw me into a wall at speed and I reckon a fair majority of PF would be similar. I'm just saving myself from myself.

Anyway, carry on :)

Billzilla
06-05-11, 05:48 PM
Make it the $10,000,000 challenge so we can use V8 Supercars.

Mr Ed
06-05-11, 05:48 PM
The only reason the Top Gear thing works is because they're celebrities. If they were just dragging people off the streets we'd all be yawning.
I disagree. I dont think its so much about 'celebrities' but more about 'people youve heard of'. A bunch of PF cunts doing the same thing would be at least as interesting IMO.

Sure it might not sell magazines, but I dont think many PF cunts really care about that.

We did a similar thing at the Hampton Challenge. No-one kept times, no-one was fast, everything broke....but everyone had fun. The general public probably wouldnt give two hoots but to the general PF cunt, it was awesome!

blownhemi
06-05-11, 05:49 PM
"Get well soon cunt, p.s is anyone fucking your wife for you while you are in hospital?".

ROFL :rotflol: