PDA

View Full Version : my 4X4 build

suzuki dave
08-07-11, 08:52 PM
Ok , here goes ...

a while ago i posted this ...

http://performanceforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67246910&highlight=turbo+swift.

anyway after splitting with my wife a few months ago , i decided i couldnt be fucked trying to have 2 cars and race one and register the other for street use. so i have made a decision.

I'm parting out my swift and putting the engine into this ...

suzuki dave
08-07-11, 08:54 PM
since that pic the sierra has had a 2 inch lift kit fitted , and i have also purchased a mint fibreglass canopy for it.

DROOPZ
09-07-11, 12:14 AM
Nice buy.

Since your in bris you should grab one of those fiberglass ww2 jeep bodies that bolt onto a swb Sierra. Would look sick on 33s and h@ardcore.

suzuki dave
11-07-11, 07:18 PM
anyone know of any arb airlockers going cheapish for this ?

bv
19-07-11, 03:36 AM
are those the axles you are going to keep?

lock rite in the rear will be just as good and 1/3 the price. if you only use 4wd off road then you can do the same in the front, but its nice to have a selectable locker.

if I had my time again I'd do an ox-locker in the front, although I do like the arb I have. Cable lockers are more reliable, less dependencies on other shit.

suzuki dave
08-01-12, 02:45 PM
well this has been cluttering up my garage for months now...

which i turned into this ... this was my farewell beer with the old girl , served me well but its time to move on and have some fun on and offroad :)

my garage has been a bloody mess ever since i moved into this place about 8 months ago , so after getting rid of the shell i had a clean up and bought the new project up . yes my new years resolution was to pull my finger out and start doing it up..

As you can see theres quite a bit of difference with the lift kit from the pic in my first post.
I'm going to piss off that shitty bent stock front bar with bolt on bullbar , and build a tube bar (front and rear)
First point of call is going to be pull the motor and box , strip the interior of the car , repair the rust , paint it (im thinking of just a matt black or that matt army green for now?) and paint the engine bay . I quite like the look of the grey with black specs through it for the engine bay.
Pics of rust ...

suzuki dave
08-01-12, 03:01 PM
now the garage is clean , i really need some workbenches , my toolbox is sitting on a milk crate , and the rest of my tools are in the garden shed..

I got this for a birthday present in september from boss and workmates..

I did quite a bit of impulse buying , as per another thread i bought this ... tdo5 turbo from evo 9 , i also have a td04 and a turbo manifold that wont suit either turbo . I plan on trying out the td05 (which means i'll have to build a manifold to suit the twin scroll) if it doesnt work out ill just cut the flange plate off the manifold i have and weld on a flange plate for the td04.

also bought another set of evo injectors as i seem to have an intermittent problem with one of the injectors currently in the engine..

thedude
08-01-12, 04:08 PM
Nice, a widetrack Zook. In the world of Sierras these are the gun model. Go for a bit of Olive Drab (see Droopz 40 Series build to see how it comes out, the colour works nicely on a 4WD)

hrt5l
08-01-12, 08:50 PM
Cool project, zooks are awesome. I love how if you tip them over they dont even bend and it only takes 2 guys to put them on the wheels again.

da9jeff
08-01-12, 08:54 PM
oi dave, are you able to source GTi engines/gearbags? might be after one at the end of the year.

Cheers,
Jeff

neil_se
09-01-12, 05:25 PM
I miss my old Zook, it had RUF with 2" extended shackles and flexed very well, and with lockrites F&R and crawler gears it idled up any slope. Only thing I missed was engine power on the highway which you've got sorted, and power steering with the front locked.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad342/neil_se/Patrol/CompPrep226-27.jpg

suzuki dave
09-01-12, 10:59 PM
nice rig neil.

i plan on keeping it at the 2 inch lift with no shackle trickery as i still want to make it handle fairly decent onroad.

i am going to buy a few things from lowrange soon , a spartan locker for the front , some chromolly front cvs , and a transfer cradle .

suzuki dave
09-01-12, 11:07 PM
Nice, a widetrack Zook. In the world of Sierras these are the gun model. Go for a bit of Olive Drab (see Droopz 40 Series build to see how it comes out, the colour works nicely on a 4WD)

this is the bastard model , from the changeover from the narrow track to the widetrack , its w/t flares , but they are plastic , it has n/t transfer and shafts , but with w/t diff housings. its a mix and match of the old model and what was to become of the wide track ..

the olive drab is exactly the colour i meant , cheers ...