PDA

View Full Version : Qld Defect Notice

Cal
25-07-11, 10:01 AM
I got pulled over by "the hoon squad" yesterday afternoon on my way home from Lakeside. The two cops were pretty decent and driving a dark grey GTS. It's their new undercover car. Believe me, you'd never pick it. When the lights came on, I was WTF?

Anyhow they pulled me over because of the roll cage and seat and asked to see the blue plate. No problem, but as I was closing the bonnet they asked me where the factory bonnet catch was. I had no idea I needed one. The law states 2 restraints. I assumed (obviously wrongly) that 2 bonnet pins sufficed. They also asked me where the horn was and I said I've been meaning to fit a horn button somewhere. So no big deal, my fault, $100.

However, I need to present the vehicle to the local police station within 2 months with those 2 things fixed. Easy enough. My question for anyone else who has been through this, is are they just going to check those 2 things have been sorted and let me be on my way, or are they going to go over the car again with a fine toothed comb?

Wes Mantooth
25-07-11, 10:06 AM
If they were going to go over it further, surely they'd send you for a QT inspection. Local cops will just read the items on the defect notice an check those. Just make sure there's nothing else obvious that they haven't already picked.

tim510
25-07-11, 10:07 AM
cops at the cop shop should just check, tick them off and away you go.

If you get 3 major defects they will send you off to a QLD transport depot, where they set out to find every last issue.

You were lucky!

goracing
25-07-11, 10:09 AM
in the past, I have only had the items checked but i was nervous as hell. On one occasion, I went into the office and they did not even bother to check the car. Still I would not trust them as they are getting alot pickers over the last few years.

BMWTurbo
25-07-11, 10:13 AM
Bugger mate... Only the other week commenting on this...

I guess it might depend on which cop is there when you front up.

Cal
25-07-11, 10:20 AM
cops at the cop shop should just check, tick them off and away you go.

If you get 3 major defects they will send you off to a QLD transport depot, where they set out to find every last issue.

You were lucky!

These are just 2 minor.

I also brown nosed so much it would make you ill. :)

blur
25-07-11, 10:36 AM
I have had the nearly the exact same thing in a Gt-r, horn, no mod plate seats and no high mount stop light. Took it to the local cop station, no problems, only looked at the stuff on the ticket and thats it. Although ive heard a story of a bloke who was not so lucky. He took it to the Boondal station, where the hoon squad is based, at least it is on the northside, got a double reaming.

DCR
25-07-11, 10:37 AM
Cal they will just (READ: Should) check what has been ticked.

Gammaboy
25-07-11, 10:47 AM
Fuckin Hoon.

oxy
25-07-11, 10:57 AM
I also brown nosed so much it would make you ill. :)

Vegemite?

Spoonfed
25-07-11, 11:29 AM
Millsi should be able to chime in on this one. bwahahaha

Madhatr
25-07-11, 11:49 AM
Cant you just use a strap as a form of restraint?

oxy
25-07-11, 12:20 PM
Cant you just use a strap as a form of restraint?

Chippers mum says yes

townie :)
25-07-11, 12:32 PM
Back in the day, we used to just deregister them and get a roast and get em done again. Depends on the level of defect.

dirtyrex
25-07-11, 01:23 PM
What happened to all the school children you killed on your journey, you irresponsible bastard!

They'll only check the two items - QT workers won't do any more than they have to.

BundyBeej
25-07-11, 01:47 PM
Bugger

Sketchy
25-07-11, 03:33 PM
I have had the nearly the exact same thing in a Gt-r, horn, no mod plate seats and no high mount stop light. Took it to the local cop station, no problems, only looked at the stuff on the ticket and thats it. Although ive heard a story of a bloke who was not so lucky. He took it to the Boondal station, where the hoon squad is based, at least it is on the northside, got a double reaming.

Avoid these cunts at all costs. They have made a name for themselves for years being complete and utter cunts in this regard.

demuire
25-07-11, 03:38 PM
You need to have a high mount stop light for roadworthy? My 1975 Corolla does not have this... Or does it only apply to cars post certain age?

thechuckster
25-07-11, 04:43 PM
Cal: that kinds of sucks, about a year ago I got defected for smoke (turbo seals), worn/mismatching tyres & steer wheel by DoT officers from the Sunshine Coast office. No fine and all I had to do was confirm within 28 days that the defects were rectified (effectively self-certify).

I guess that recent(ish) changes with regards to to 'anti-hoon' laws included a tightening up of the regs regarding defects?

Cal
25-07-11, 04:56 PM
Meh I figure he had to give me a ticket for something and I'd rather it was that than about 50 other things.

blur
25-07-11, 05:00 PM
You need to have a high mount stop light for roadworthy? My 1975 Corolla does not have this... Or does it only apply to cars post certain age?

High mount stop lights are applicable 1990 model and on, so I was informed by mr plod.

Howard Jones
25-07-11, 05:14 PM
hoon!

you should be hung up and shot. you're worse than that bloke in norway!

Q
25-07-11, 11:27 PM
Just to clarify this.....

The MX5 was safe enough to race at 160 kph + [?]
yet as soon as Cal hit the streets, it wasn't deemed safe enough for our roads. :ugh2:
So they fined him .....in the interests of rd safety of course

We really are donkeys in this country - for letting things get to this point. :sad:

Tensop
25-07-11, 11:54 PM

yet as soon as Cal hit the streets, it wasn't deemed safe enough for our roads. :ugh2:

We really are donkeys in this country - for letting things get to this point. :sad:

In a democracy, people get the government they deserve

Q
25-07-11, 11:57 PM
indeed !

|555|
26-07-11, 01:20 AM

How many trees/poles/pedestrians/houses/fences/trucks/buses/children are on the race track?

Madhatr
26-07-11, 01:23 AM
yes. unsecured bonnets have an aweful habit of flying off, decapitating pedestrians and lodging themselves in gumtrees.

happens every day

TJ
26-07-11, 01:25 AM
How often is Cal going to do 160kmh in areas with trees/poles/pedestrians/houses/fences/trucks/buses/children?

The point is, if it safe enough to be raced at high speed, then surely its safe enough for road use?

Obviously not always the case but its just a bs fine to make some $$

|555|
26-07-11, 07:00 AM
Safe for race track /= safe for road; my point .. However bullshit fine is still bullshit fine; agreed.

Do MX5s go 160? :D thought that there was a built in hairdresser/gay antihair ruining device that stopped it from going faster in case hair got messed up/scarf flew away :D

JOHN MAYER
26-07-11, 10:34 AM
Sidenote.... Was it this?

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/225722_1758671484421_1168042262_1616107_874983_n.j pg

clutch-monkey
26-07-11, 10:37 AM
How many trees/poles/pedestrians/houses/fences/trucks/buses/children are on the race track?
plenty of the first two within kissing distance of your car on mt cotton hill climb.. really tight track

Boxer
26-07-11, 10:55 AM

You have missed the point Q,

The race track is generally (and far more likely) to have sensible drivers utilising it at anytime, therefore they are using (hopefully) mirrors, road/track sense and an awareness for what they are undertaking and the driving task at hand. Race cars dont generally 'toot'as they cut one another off or overtake each other.

On the street we have to cater for the lowest common denominator (read the average dickshove that somehow managed a reverse park and hillstart and thefore has a 'licence') These are the wankers you do need a horn for, so the QLD police were absolutley right - how will Cal rip it up these idiots with no horn?

:D

Madhatr
26-07-11, 11:26 AM
at which point they can book him for using the horn too. :D

BundyBeej
26-07-11, 11:42 AM

Yep. The GT-Four has 5 point harnesses, but it's technically not roadworthy as it doesn't have the OEM retractable lapsash seatbelts.

I know i'd rather have a 5 pointer in an acco than a regular seatbelt. I guess that's why racecars don't have lapsash seatbelts.

Sometimes it's ok for laws to overrule common sense. It is, after all, for our own good.

BMWTurbo
26-07-11, 11:48 AM
Yep. The GT-Four has 5 point harnesses, but it's technically not roadworthy as it doesn't have the OEM retractable lapsash seatbelts.

I know i'd rather have a 5 pointer in an acco than a regular seatbelt. I guess that's why racecars don't have lapsash seatbelts.

Sometimes it's ok for laws to overrule common sense. It is, after all, for our own good.

You can legally wear your 5-point harness over the top of your std lap sash. But if you have the harness connected but not used you can be booked for it...

Many smarts in that one...

Cal
26-07-11, 11:49 AM
Sidenote.... Was it this?

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/225722_1758671484421_1168042262_1616107_874983_n.j pg

Yep that's it.

Cal
26-07-11, 11:51 AM
You can legally wear your 5-point harness over the top of your std lap sash. But if you have the harness connected but not used you can be booked for it...

This is the sort of bullshit I don't want them looking for. The retractable belts are long gone and the roll cage is located in such a way that they can never be refitted. The car is engineered for a harness, yet I still need to retain the normal belts.......why?

BundyBeej
26-07-11, 11:53 AM

Yeah, exactly. I can wear the stronger, safer 5 pointer as long as the namby pamby retracto lapsash in also being worn, because that makes it safe and legal.

The retracto's aren't even in the car anymore, so it'll be a fine if Mr Plod decides to pull us over at any stage.

BMWTurbo
26-07-11, 12:07 PM
This is the sort of bullshit I don't want them looking for. The retractable belts are long gone and the roll cage is located in such a way that they can never be refitted. The car is engineered for a harness, yet I still need to retain the normal belts.......why?

Do you want the 'legal' answer or the logical one?

Car post '74 cannot be engineered with harness'. The harness' may have been in place when it was plated but the plate won't cover them.

I managed to squeeze the stock belts back in with a bees dick clearance, which was fortunate because I had the b-pillar brackets tacked in place just not welded out, so they had to come out and belts go in.

IMA feel real safe knowing that I'm using my lap sash on the street instead of the 5-point harness.

It never really made much sense as there was a whole section in the previous DOT guidelines re harness anchor points etc, which was 'okay' to comply with, but the little 'retractable' clause overides that.

TCR
26-07-11, 12:15 PM
Are you sure about that?

I removed the lap sash belts in both my MX5 road/track cars and had 4 point harnesses mod plated instead. The catch was they need to have the single "standard" buckle at the front, not the 4 or 5 point rotary style buckle.

BMWTurbo
26-07-11, 12:20 PM
Are you sure about that?

I removed the lap sash belts in both my MX5 road/track cars and had 4 point harnesses mod plated instead. The catch was they need to have the single "standard" buckle at the front, not the 4 or 5 point rotary style buckle.

To the letter it's correct. However, seems many get away with it, so I guess it comes down to how much whoever is inspecting your car on the side of the road knows.

Snip "2 GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
This sub-section applies to all light vehicles and must be read and applied in conjunction with all
the LK Codes applicable to the proposed modifications.
Modified vehicles must continue to comply with the Australian Design Rules (ADRs) to which
they were originally constructed, except as allowed for in the Australian Vehicle Standards
Rules (AVSR). These modified vehicles must also comply with the applicable in-service
requirements of the AVSR."

ADR 4/5 A/B/C/D/E

PDF Refer Page 7 (http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/87301b71-7f0d-4ffd-b95f-94e4382f4a6c/pdf_veh_stds_ais_codeofpractice_section3a_feb2004. pdf)

On Page 7 is states that to comply with ADR's 4/5 for a post 1/1/75 vehicle you must have a 'retracting mechanism'.

AdmiralAwesome
26-07-11, 12:24 PM

Retractable belts require no smarts to hook up and tension correctly. You can't engineer the intelligence for people to always hook up and tension a harness correctly.

Shifty
26-07-11, 12:25 PM
retractability is the issue afaik

x
26-07-11, 12:29 PM
retractability is the issue afaik

Retractability makes the proper tensioning of harness redundant, hence accommodating the lowest common denominator...

BeverlyHillsCop
26-07-11, 12:30 PM
The race track is generally (and far more likely) to have sensible drivers utilising it at anytime,

Not if albojet and his mates are on track..... :)

BMWTurbo
26-07-11, 12:44 PM
If you get into the ADR's they talk about 95% percentiles etc. an unadjusted or incorrectly adjusted harness won't meet this requirement.

Justin Bieber
26-07-11, 02:45 PM
Maybe trailer it to them so if they find anything else they can't defect you for it since you aren't driving it? Naturally you are on the way to get whatever else they find fixed, hence the trailer!

Cal
26-07-11, 02:50 PM
I actually live about 100m from the cop station. I was thinking about going and talking to them and telling them it doesn't run at the moment and would they mind terribly looking at it in my garage.

Terribleone
26-07-11, 06:05 PM
I was with my little cousin on the way to munch inn 2 weeks ago and we got pulled over on the gateway by that grey GTS. Poor kid was shitting himself (on his L's and first time being pulled over). They gave his car a once over, commented how his 16" Simmons were too big, told him to slow down (was doing the speed limit) and then gave me a spray because as the open licenced driver in the car I am responsible for anything that happens to him.

BOOTHY
26-07-11, 08:08 PM
Was one of the officers a sgt Davies?

millsi
26-07-11, 08:38 PM
I got defected on the way to powercruise for a few things a couple of years back.
Fixed the problems and presented them as asked in the specific time frame. Took car in during work (i figured wearing uniform may help). He checked that the named defects has been fixed, however, the then went on and asked me start the engine and rev it. He kept giving me the rev it up signal so i did, but he didnt seem too concerned.

I guess it's the luck of the draw as to who inspects the car, maybe try it on a Friday arv, then again if someone is starting their shift they wont be too happy about it.

bunnyfart
26-07-11, 10:03 PM
i was always under the impression that you can not use a harness because if you are in an accident and unconscious that a random member of the public must be able to unbuckle you and get you out.

Kinda like the H pattern on the gear knob.

i like how they have 11ty billion rules but don't have them easily accessible to the general public.