PDA

View Full Version : My 80 series Cruiser

T T Celica
26-11-11, 11:20 AM
With every cunt on here buying 80 series Cruisers, thought i'd better start a thread on mine. It started life as a 1995 Standard wagon, that is, NA deisel, vinyl everything, no tacho, front 3/4 bench seat, part time 4wd, barn doors, etc. I bought bone stock back in July 2003, with 104,000km on it, building and changing things around to what it is today. Bits n pieces info:-

1995 Std 80
2006 100 series 1HDFTE and A750 5 speed auto
Steinbauer chip
PWR front mount
3.5" dump/3" mandrell exhaust
ARB air lockers
315/75 BFG Muds
4" coils/shocks
Aerotech front seats with air lumbar
VDO boost, auto temp, water temp
Jaycar EGT gauge
Storage drawers
95L std fuel tank + 166L replacement sub tank ( 1500km range when towing)
Kaymar rear bar with wheels carrier
ARB bullbar with Premier winch

...and heaps of other shit that doesnt matter....

Fitted the motor and box in June 2010, best fuckin money ive spent on it!! We spent 4 years travelling oz, only just returning to Shitney in July (not for long though!), in this period we travelled just over 108,000km with a camper in tow. Apart from regular maintainence and waer items, the fuggin thing just keeps going. Now for a few pics (i will probably balls this up!!)

More than happy to answer any questions

EDIT:- Fuck knows what happened to the last 2 attachments

nine2nine
26-11-11, 04:09 PM
That's sounds like a pretty damn capable rig. Any vids?

T T Celica
27-11-11, 06:50 AM
Nah, i dont have any vids of it worth posting!! The nopics isnt the best when it comes to using a vid camera.

When we did the conversion, i used the factory 100 series trans cooler , and while it does the job well, its fuckin big, bulky and was a prick to mount. Trying to mount it behind the grill, in front of the i/cooler made for a fairly untidy job. Im goin to install a PWR trans cooler, its smaller in every dimension, but supposed to be more efficient (?). This should allow me to die grind a new grill neatly (unlike the hack job ive done now!), "hiding" it all. Also i'm buying a new Autron 3 in 1 gauge, which does boost, EGT, and a LCD readout of a 3rd input, which i will make auto temp. This way i can get rid of 2 gauges that are under the head unit, hopefully allowing me to install a double din touchscreen TV/DVD/GPS all in one fandangled Clarion or Alpine headunit.

Mechanically, its soon to get a Wholesale Auto's Nomad valve body, basically a shift kit. These auto's from the factory are uber smooth shifting, but sometimes a bit doughy. The valve body fucks that off, and apparently makes 3% better fuel economy (give no fark).

Interesting things to note about the conversion:-
-motor bolts in, using the legs off any 80 series deisel engine
-if you have an auto 80 series, the box bolts in too
-100 series rear tailshaft bolts in
-factory rad. hoses line up
- Td 80 series off-the-shelf 3" exhaust bolts onto the 1HDFTE

Probably other shit i cant remember too

Paydirt
27-11-11, 09:19 AM
That's awesome. Looks like a brilliant conversion. HOw much did the motor and box set you back?

T T Celica
27-11-11, 12:18 PM
Motor and box package cost $13,500, had 90,000km on it. It comes with all electrics including immobiliser,keys, security dongle, drive shafts, basically everything mechanical bar the 100 series diffs. Currently getting a bit hard to find, at the moment paying $15,000+ for a front cut with anywhere from 140,000km to 230,000km. Toyota + deisel = gold plated!!

MR-PUNANNY
28-11-11, 08:41 AM
This is awesome, i want that engine package!!

T T Celica
28-11-11, 03:32 PM
Go and see Jason @ Total Care 4WD, in Seven Hills. He'll sort you out with one:yup:

thedude
29-11-11, 07:50 AM
Yeah Jason loves those FTEs. He even puts them in Patrols!

MR-PUNANNY
29-11-11, 09:29 AM
Would love to put a 1Hd in mine, but dont have that sorta $$ lol.

T T Celica
29-11-11, 03:53 PM
Yeah Jason loves those FTEs. He even puts them in Patrols!

Yep, and not just grenaded ZD30 ones either. Did 2 GU utes recently, both were tough TD42's, with nothing wrong with them, binned them and put the FTE/A750 combo in. Both owners havent looked back, do everything better than the TD42

bigshipengine.jpg
29-11-11, 04:05 PM
How much is a 100 series worth with that Motor / trans combo?

T T Celica
29-11-11, 04:18 PM
A factory built HDJ100 ?? Decent low to mid km GXL $45000, up to $65000 for a Sahara, with no to minimal accessories on it. I looked at doing this, but the cash outlay was rediculous. None of the 80 series accessories are interchangable with the HDJ100, so i was up for 80-100k to setup a new vehicle to the same level my truck is now. The 20k for the conversion is cheap by comparison

hrt5l
05-12-11, 11:04 PM
Yep, and not just grenaded ZD30 ones either. Did 2 GU utes recently, both were tough TD42's, with nothing wrong with them, binned them and put the FTE/A750 combo in. Both owners havent looked back, do everything better than the TD42
The only motor i would pull a TD42 out for would be a duramax, does everything a whole lot better then a FTE would and probably alot cheaper too.

RotaUte
09-12-11, 07:05 PM
More pics please :yup:

T T Celica
10-12-11, 10:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QY_3HgNNdo&feature=related

In June we did Cape York with a bunch of people off Overlander forum, it was called the Cape York Misers Challenge, idea being you had to purchase a 4wd, fuel it, modify it and repair it for $3000, or under, from Cairns to Cairns, over 2 weeks. There ended up being 13 shitboxes plus my truck and camper. You can see it/them in the above Utube video.Nolans Brook is the deepest water crossing on the OTL, 5 out of 14 of our vehicles made it across unassisted, through the deepest line. The rest sunk, as per video.........

More footage of the Cruiser in Part 6 of the series on Utube, nothin real flash.....

Pics, anything in particular?

MR-PUNANNY
10-12-11, 11:53 AM
hahah that was mad. Your cruiser done it easy, especially with a trailer on the back! The Patrol did good too.

LOL @ Pajero, wtf happen to the front end?

T T Celica
10-12-11, 12:49 PM
If i'd had remembered to lock the front diff, it would have driven straight across!!! As it was, it ended up in 3rd gear, full noise low range. Biggest problem towing a trailer across water that deep, is it is semi boyant for the first 1-1.5 seconds, which takes weight off the rear axle. Not good in 1m+ water, with soft bottom!!

There was an old fella driving the Pajero, he somehow managed to drink a whole bottle of Scotch, every night of the trip. We had a fairly early start one morning after camping at Dalhunty river, he was still pissed, about 15mins into driving, he "mistook" the brake pedal for theaccel. pedal, and drove straight into a tree, which was bigger than him, at prob 35-40km/h!! Lucky both were unhurt, the car suffered no mechanical damage (including radiator and fan!!), and drove the rest of the trip like that. The trophy attached to the front of it was awarded each day to whoever did the dumbest fuckin thing on that day......

T T Celica
10-12-11, 03:10 PM

1st pic, fuckin around on Big Red, Simpson Desert this year. Shortly after this, nopics broke the front diff attempting to drive the dune, punched a crown wheel bolt straight through the front of the housing. Driving the 50km flood bypass track back to Birdsville in 2wd, was serious good fun:yup:

2nd pic, coming out of Canal Creek, Cape York, heading north

MR-PUNANNY
21-08-12, 12:24 PM
Any updates on this beast??? I may have found a 100 series 1HDFTE, but its an Auto, so not sure if it will work.

BigJonWB
21-08-12, 02:15 PM
Any updates on this beast??? I may have found a 100 series 1HDFTE, but its an Auto, so not sure if it will work.

5 speed auto behind the 1HD-FTE is the best engine / trans combination Toyota ever made for a 4wd.

MR-PUNANNY
21-08-12, 03:43 PM
I dont want Auto tho.

T T Celica
19-09-12, 04:01 PM
I dont want Auto tho.

Trust me,you do! There are an awsome towing combination. I wont go back to a manual 4wd now, ever.

BundyBeej
21-09-12, 05:57 PM
Man, all these 4x4 threads with awesome builds and pics from trips makes me want to take a month and go up the centre or something. Would love to do it in something like an old troopy or something that isn't worth much so I can have some fun with it and not be precious about water/scratches etc.

T T Celica
22-09-12, 10:20 AM
Just do it!! Its great fun, the only way to see this country PROPERLY i reckon:yup:

ls400x
23-09-12, 09:29 PM
Same. I couldn't do it to my current patrol so I need to look at getting a fun truck. Cape for $3k sounds brilliant!

T T Celica
01-11-12, 02:29 PM
Bit of an update. Back in Sydney for a week, the cruiser is in at Total Care getting King 2.5" dia. remote res. shocks fitted (these fucking things are a work of art, far too sexual to be putting on an old cruiser!), dropped down to ~ 3" lift, swaybars back on, basically getting it setup to tow a descent sized offroad van around Oz. A while back i redid all the front grill, light surrounds, park light etc with Ebay special chrome items, as i replaced the factory fuckin-huge-but-inefficient trans cooler with a 280 x 255 PWR item. Made now difference to the oil temp, but tidied the front end right up.Will get some pics and post up when i get it back.

Next thing i gotta do is wear the tires out, change them for 285/75 or 305/70. The auto may not like towing 2800kg with std ratios and 315/75 tires!!

Southo
01-11-12, 02:45 PM
A while back i redid all the front grill, light surrounds, park light etc with Ebay special chrome items,

You've changed man.

What did you do with the real Phil ???

T T Celica
01-11-12, 03:56 PM
yeah yeah i know, thechrome bling gear was cheaper and easier to find than the standard grey stuff. Everything bar the DX 80 had all chrome front end.

PS, i actually like the look of it!!:fgay:

Darrens tomorrow night, for a feed at Fiddler??

Southo
01-11-12, 09:35 PM
Yep, he messaged me this afternoon - see ya there !!!

Michael
01-11-12, 11:24 PM
Did you go to Carlingford Phil? Going from the tt celica, Andrew and I were talking about what cars people had.

What trailer are you getting? Are you full time travelling Australia. Thats living properly.

T T Celica
07-11-12, 01:35 PM
Yeah i went to carlo high. Finshed in '98. Which Andrew you speak of??

We are selling the camper trailer and buying a full offroad van, hopefullya Kedron. Got my eye on one.
Been travelling full time for just over 5 years, hope to continue doing so for as long as we can!!

Michael
07-11-12, 06:20 PM
I remember you. still swim? Andrew Abbott told me about your celica.. We finished the same year. Still friends with Bez, Lewis and bump into others as ya do.

I asked about the trailer as the olds were thinking of buying, offroad trailers are so expensive for what they are. Still doing research, the Ultimate or Kimberly Karavan would be nice, but $60k is stupid money for part time usage.
Travelling for 5 years is awesome, did you win lottery?

Southo
07-11-12, 09:16 PM
nah, he travels around selling his body..

He made $15 at the Mean Fiddler on Friday night :P

T T Celica
08-11-12, 04:38 PM
$15 ?? Awsome, cos i didnt feel a thing!! I like it when it dont hurt!!

Though it might be Abbott. Im still good mates with Allan, Pete, Larter, Benny Web, etc. Dont swim (havent been in the water for 14 odd years), but have agreed to do a 600m swim leg in a team triathalon event up here next Saturday, was drunk when i said id do it!! Didnt win lotto (farkin!), working while we do it, although 11/12 financial year is the 1st full year ive worked in the last 5, and it sucks the wang massive. What type of trailer are your parents looking for?? Ours is an All Terrain Camper Trailer, built in Seven Hills. I bought it new, and i have tested it *extensively* and trust me they are fucking well built. I want $15K for it, open to negotiation, cos we are in Mt Isa. I hear what your saying about Ultimate/Kimberley/Aus Offroad, cos $60K buys a fucking brilliant offroad caravan!!

If i get a chance over the weekend, i will post some pics of the shock install. The boys at Total Care do know what they doin.

Michael
08-11-12, 09:46 PM
Yeh Andrew said he bumped into you or something a while back. Meaning to do some rides with Ben, but I am sorting some issues with the arthritis in the knee at the moment. Haha we all make the greatest decisions drunk. Good to see you are doing well enough to travell. Im in the mortgage rut, its tempting to sell up and retire..

Parents are looking at the Ultimate so far, but I'm not sure about the boat construction of it, light tho.

TOY77
11-11-12, 11:37 AM
im surprised ya got $15 for anything!!!!

good to see your still round mate. I have just come back to the fold - all toyotas at home soon (when i sell the patrol), though technically the missus car is a lexus shhh

bought a 100 series sahara - but no diesel for me ;)
will look nice towing my celica in comfort...

Cheers
Stew

T T Celica
11-11-12, 12:20 PM
Got 2 mates with 100 saharas, one an 04 UZJ, one an 05 HDJ, both magic cars to drive and tow with. Super comfy and electric everything. Tip though, piss off the hydro ride height shit, it tends to fag out alot when towing. Replace with descent springs, Bilstiens and helper airbags, and never have a problem

TOY77
11-11-12, 07:56 PM
i got an 03.... didnt get the ghey susp till 2004........

T T Celica
12-11-12, 03:44 PM
Thank fuck for that.
The UZJ is actually quite good on fuel, especially on the open road. Mate constantly get 11.8-12.5L/100 using cruise control. The odd supercharger kit comes up for sale now and then too..............

............just sayin.............

T T Celica
24-11-12, 11:52 AM
Finally got round to getting some pics of the shocks. Had to pull rear wheels off anyway cos the brake loa proportioning valve is fucked,should be nice and cheap/easy to replace

Michael
27-11-12, 08:27 PM
That looks proper serious now Phil. How does it go?

My brothers old basher. Yes it had worn springs but it soaked up the bumps nice like.. It had heaps, v6 moo, dual hilux transfer, dyna gearbox?? front rear arb lockers, in car adjustable ranchos. A/C air compressor, and in cabin hoses to inflate wheels. Hidden air tank. 35's, engineered to take 38's. rear disk brake conversion. And it was heavy as due to tonnes of bog to fill rust holes, lol. He now as a Colorado that sometimes goes up gutters if its lucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ONKwkcv9zA&list=UU4ujVZPgtPT8BYgfvnoGz9Q&index=8&feature=plcp

T T Celica
28-11-12, 03:02 PM
Fuck me that 4Runner looks familiar ?!

It goes um, gooood!! Feels tight on the road, and lowering it 2" made no difference to how it handles nasty shit offroad.

Currently speaking to a fella in Perth who builds his own CT26 turbos, with a few different spec levels. With a trick set of injectors, his Bad Boy (?) Stage 2 turbo, and a Unichip of all things, he is seeing over 200rwkw, and a bit over 750nm @ flywheel (dunno how its calculated!), and 27psi @ 1800 rpm. Reliable too it would seem, even towing his 4t Bushtracker caravan. Im finding it hard to say no to this package

Michael
28-11-12, 08:03 PM
Dont know where he got it from was it yours? lol Its in Melbourne now I think.
Thats more then the new V8TT the 200 series has right? what axles and size tyres? Do it!

muttaburra
09-12-12, 10:34 PM
Does the A750 have a separate computer or is it part of the engine ecu ? Tossing up a few idea for a new tow rig and won't be using a manual.

T T Celica
11-12-12, 04:22 PM
Part of the engine ECU. Tow rig? Like where this is goin.....:yup:

muttaburra
12-12-12, 04:27 AM
Yours is a sweet rig. Wonder how the auto will go bolt it into a ute.

Would love to do your conversion but I think the missus will buck at $10k motor. Thinking 2UZ and auto and after seeing a 100series go for $3500 at the auction today it would make for a cheap conversion.

T T Celica
12-12-12, 06:42 PM
Jason at Total care in Sydney has same combo in a 75 ute ( 80 series running gear too). Recently went 16.2 over the 1/4 (cant remember mph) on 33" all terrains without the canopy on the back. 1st pass it spun a tyre to 150km/h, but 40 psi in them. So, they go well in a ute. He's just finished putting one in a 60 series, and might be doing a 40 series ute in the new year

MR-PUNANNY
13-12-12, 07:20 AM
I still dream of doing the 1HDFTE, and almost did, but end up buying a nice car for the mrs :(. Still would love to...

muttaburra
15-12-12, 08:01 PM
So the A750 bolts on to the 80 transfer ? I wonder if the A750 to transfer behind the V8 is the same. Can't see Toyota going to any trouble changing that stuff

First thought for 2uz was full time 4wd, problem I see is the output for the front diff in the 2uz is on the wrong side.

T T Celica
16-12-12, 07:46 PM
So the A750 bolts on to the 80 transfer ? I wonder if the A750 to transfer behind the V8 is the same. Can't see Toyota going to any trouble changing that stuff

First thought for 2uz was full time 4wd, problem I see is the output for the front diff in the 2uz is on the wrong side.

I used the 100 series full time transfer case with a Marks part time kit in it. The 80 transfer should bolt to the A750. What you mean the output for the front diff is on the wrong side?? All cruisers built up until the 200 series have a drivers side transfer drop. You can still do a 2UZ, use the 100 series 2UZ/ A750/full time transfer

irsa76
16-12-12, 08:57 PM
A factory built HDJ100 ?? Decent low to mid km GXL $45000, up to $65000 for a Sahara, with no to minimal accessories on it. I looked at doing this, but the cash outlay was rediculous. None of the 80 series accessories are interchangable with the HDJ100, so i was up for 80-100k to setup a new vehicle to the same level my truck is now. The 20k for the conversion is cheap by comparison

Just remember the V8 and turbo diesel 100 series were all IFS, this can be an issue with some people.

muttaburra
16-12-12, 09:28 PM
All the pics I have seen of the v8 100 show the front drive from transfer to be on the passenger side of the car and after crawling under my 200 petrol it's the same. I'm pretty sure the v8 came in ifs only . I would imagine I might have to spend some time crawling around car parks with a torch.
Thanks for the input. Keep us updated if u ring it's neck for more power.

T T Celica
22-12-12, 04:56 PM
Just did 1900km (on one fuel fill) from the Isa to the Sunny Coast, used 11.04L/100km, GPS said average speed of 112km/h, A/C on the whole way. Cant complain about that!! Fuckin thing loves the open road with no weight on the back, its rare for me to do a trip without towing anything. Looking at the caravan we want to buy tomorrow, fingers crossed it works out!! This will be my reason for doing the power upgrade thingo

Mutta, i checked a mates 2004 UZJ100 Sahara before leaving Mt Isa, transer font output is definately drivers side

Billzilla
22-12-12, 04:59 PM
Just did 1900km (on one fuel fill) from the Isa to the Sunny Coast, used 11.04L/100km,

210 litres+, that's a biiiig fuel tank.

Dexi
22-12-12, 05:05 PM
Yeah not wrong, same as the bronco. Stings the wallet pretty badly filling that shit up!

T T Celica
22-12-12, 05:22 PM
210 litres+, that's a biiiig fuel tank.

Bill, its actually 265 litres in total, with about 240 usable litres. On an 80 series, you get a 95 litre main tank (sitting midway passenger side), and a 50 litre sub tank under the arse of it. You bin the sub tank, move the spare onto a rear wheel carrier, and put a 170 litre tank in, giving you the 265 total. The most its cost so far to do a ~240 litre fill was in Alice Springs in 2011, pretty sure it cost me $415

Billzilla
22-12-12, 05:27 PM
Bill, its actually 265 litres in total, with about 240 usable litres. On an 80 series, you get a 95 litre main tank (sitting midway passenger side), and a 50 litre sub tank under the arse of it. You bin the sub tank, move the spare onto a rear wheel carrier, and put a 170 litre tank in, giving you the 265 total. The most its cost so far to do a ~240 litre fill was in Alice Springs in 2011, pretty sure it cost me $415

Huge range from all that.
We get better economy in the Pooj but a much smaller tank.

T T Celica
22-12-12, 07:53 PM
Yeah its fucken handy when you're out in the bush for extended periods. Its actually brilliant economy when you take into account it weighs 3200kg with only full tanks, me and dead empty inside, and has to turn 35" tyres, AND has the aero of a barn door.

T T Celica
23-12-12, 02:22 PM
Merry Fuckin Xmas to me!!!

muttaburra
24-12-12, 01:17 PM

Mutta, i checked a mates 2004 UZJ100 Sahara before leaving Mt Isa, transer font output is definately drivers side

Ok cheers mate. I must be finding pics of American versions of the box and transfer. Not sure what road I'm goin down now. Too many variables. Lol. Think I might just buy a truck. Cheaper than a cruiser and probably do a better Job.

Southo
24-12-12, 01:51 PM
Merry Fuckin Xmas to me!!!

Jeeezus titty christ... did you win lotto ?????

T T Celica
24-12-12, 02:06 PM
If i won lotto, i'd buy a new one!!! We have had our eye on this one since August, pieces fell into place, i went and bought it when we got down to Sunny Coast. Its very close to what i'd get Kedron to build me, so in that sense its perfect. Also a little more than i wanted to pay for it, but there are bugger all for sale, so i cant be very picky. Pick it up on the weekend, will get more pics then

Southo
24-12-12, 02:47 PM
awesome stuff. They build a great luxury box trailer that's for sure...
The Gall boys are mad bastards too with what them put them through...

T T Celica
25-12-12, 05:38 PM
I fully plan on following SOME of their exploits in my own van:yup:

No point buying one of these and fuckarseing around, cant wait to drag it where 99% of camper trailer owners wont go!!

T T Celica
30-12-12, 07:32 AM
And here it is. Need to drop tyre size down to 285's, too tall geared for towing big weights. And fuck doesnt it have some wind resistance!!

Southo
30-12-12, 11:10 AM
.......And fuck doesnt it have some wind resistance!!

dude, you are towing a block of flats, what did you expect - ha ha

T T Celica
30-12-12, 11:40 AM
Stating the fuckinobvious, i know, but you dont realise how much until you actually tow one:knock:

Michael
07-01-13, 03:43 PM
Very nice. Inside pics? Ball park on the price?

T T Celica
07-01-13, 03:51 PM
Will get some inside pics later on, currently satying @ Airlie Beach for a couple of nights. COULD live here. Cost $65k

Michael
07-01-13, 04:09 PM
they are about 100k+ new I imagine. Are you back to full time travel again? Im jealousy.

T T Celica
07-01-13, 07:11 PM
Yes we are full time travelling, but working to fund it (still!). On our way back up to Mt Isa, will prob work til June/July, then head off for 3 or so months, before heading back to Darwin. This plan could change tomorrow but....

The van cost $102k built in 2003

muttaburra
10-01-13, 11:28 PM
Will get some inside pics later on, currently satying @ Airlie Beach for a couple of nights. COULD live here. Cost $65k

So u heading north or south ?

Airlie is a bloody nice place

T T Celica
11-01-13, 04:08 PM
Fucking oath its a nice place!! Got back to Mt Isa yesterday. Took a great little shortcut from Giru to Woodstck, saved me an hour i reckon. Between Hughenden and Richmond, we had a head wind, the tar had melted, and the external temp gauge in the van was reading 53degC in the sun. That really pushes the machinery to the max, especially towing 2500kg barn door! Temp gauge sat on 100deg C for the last 1/2 of the day.......never again

MR-PUNANNY
01-12-13, 11:33 AM
Any updates on your rig man? Hows it all going?

T T Celica
01-12-13, 05:07 PM
Yeah its goin all good. Took it out for a run in low range today, it doesnt get used much with a company car and all. Will be in sydney in may, will be getting a bigget turbo and different chip. 22-26psi to keep it reliable, same setups are making from 180-230rwkw. I would be happy with ~190-200, keeping it reliable towing 3000kg, with a boat on the roof. Will have to go down to 285 tires aswell. Cant afford to kill the auto when in the middle of fucking nowhere

South
01-12-13, 05:30 PM
190-200 = turbo, new snorkel, new air box, new intercooler, chip and full rebuild on the auto. Hope you like spending 15k :)

I've got ~160 with a Gturbo running 24psi

you will VERY much enjoy it!

I wanted to buy a Touareg R50, V10 TTD with 850Nm... it felt slow and much less responsive! I therefore no longer want an R50 Touareg!

nine2nine
01-12-13, 06:49 PM
Diesel power is fun and often underestimated due to the feeling of bulk torque. Will make this thing even more of a weapon.

My patrol ran a 16.1@86mph weighing 3t set up for touring. You can see the twist from the torque as it only has a 3" lift.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t235/sr20detme/jonnys%20pics/patrolatdrags_zps6f3b62bf.jpg (http://s161.photobucket.com/user/sr20detme/media/jonnys%20pics/patrolatdrags_zps6f3b62bf.jpg.html)

Southo
01-12-13, 07:51 PM
Buy the photo you tight arse - LOL

MR-PUNANNY
01-12-13, 08:33 PM
hahah that is cool!!!

I still look around for a 1HDFTE, or even late model Turbo Diesel 80, but im not in a position to buy just yet. Now I have a new job that requires driving to work, so the Landcruiser gets replaced by an echo due to fuel.

T T Celica
01-12-13, 08:42 PM
190-200 = turbo, new snorkel, new air box, new intercooler, chip and full rebuild on the auto. Hope you like spending 15k :)

I've got ~160 with a Gturbo running 24psi

you will VERY much enjoy it!

I wanted to buy a Touareg R50, V10 TTD with 850Nm... it felt slow and much less responsive! I therefore no longer want an R50 Touareg!

and if you also believe what graham says, you need to do the +35-40% injectors, which is outright bullshit. Dont get me wrong, he is yhe best at building turbos for these motors, but SOME of his ideas on diesel tuning are different. Jase at total care is getting great results from std airbox, safari snorkel, turbo, NOT a unichip, and keeping it manageable at 22-26psi. No need for auto builds, nomad kit in the 5speed is all it takes. They are alot stronger than what the internet leads everyone to believe. After all, im chasing 3500kg towing reliability,,not chasing outright power like marty ;)

South
01-12-13, 09:21 PM
You mean Graeme... and no mention of new injectors on any of those big builds, he doesn't up sell anything unnecessary... unless its a new thing.
I'll qualify my previous comments, through saying I will NEVER buy anything that is XXi made... The standard air box benefits from a 4" intake which is an easy mod.

I have Safari Snorkel, stock air box, factory air filter, Safari Front Mount. My tune is 20psi at 1450rpm with 19.6:1 AFR
Super clean exhaust, bulk torque and built primarily for towing much like yours.

Look forward to your results, even with no tune, the gturbo is impressive!

T T Celica
01-12-13, 09:37 PM
Good shit mate, cos i will never go to any XXi gear either. Dont believe in fucking up mr toyota's filtration system just to gain 5rwkw. The only thing i may modify is the air box lid. The PWR front mount i have now is a good thing, its ability to hold pressure and cool is not in question, its every joint/hose clamp to and from the cooler that may be the week link. They hold at 20psi, unknown above that. If i had another vehicle, i would probably experiment a lot harder with the 80, but i dont (yet), s the chase for outright power will have to wait.......fuck, i may not give two shits about it in18months time. Vx 200 series is on the cards for the 2nd car.

muttaburra
12-12-13, 08:20 PM
Did you end up putting in the nomad kit?
Buying another 200 petrol and thinking about the nomad kit. Miss my old 200 too much and it wasn't hard to convince the boss to part with some cash.

T T Celica
13-12-13, 07:02 AM
Yeah have the nomad kit. Makes a big difference, crisper changes and no more "doughy" feel. Sposed to make a difference to fuel economy, but i give no fuck about that.

On a side note, officially became a QLDer yesterday. Registered the cruiser ( 80.FTE plates ), transfered my licence and changed the garaging address of the van to here (mt isa). Fuck, been here for nearly two years

muttaburra
17-12-13, 11:00 AM
So didn't notice and fuel difference?
Did u look at the converter lock up mod?
Did u do the nomad kit urself ?

T T Celica
17-12-13, 06:07 PM
Wholesale autos claim about 3% better fuel usage, but it may be more for the petrol version. Got a mate in sydney to fit it $1600 i think it was, any half competant auto specialist should be on top of it. The a750 locks in 4th and 5th, but if your talking about low range 1st convertor lock up, i havent bothered. I havent had run away on me yet, regardless of how nasty the hill was. There seems to be fuck all slip when in low range, may have some sort of different shift pattern and pressures when low.

Ps:- we will be in townsville satdy arv. Staying at hotel above ribs n rumps (I NEED A FEED OF FUCKIN RIBS!!!!!) , leaving sunday morning for cairns

muttaburra
21-12-13, 07:19 PM
Will have to have a think about the nomad.

Finalized the paperwork today on a 09 VX petrol today. Nice car can't wait till it gets here. Won't be a off road rig this time, never can find anyone to head out with so boat towing duties and soccer mums car.

muttaburra
21-12-13, 07:19 PM
Would have been keen to join u but have the wife's grand daughter this weekend. Hopefully next time

T T Celica
21-12-13, 08:02 PM
Sounds good mate!

sat on 120 nearly the whole way from mt isa today. Nice quick trip and not a cop the entire way. For a nearly 19 year old car, it still eats up km's with ease....