PDA

View Full Version : 13's for $1300 Magna

turbo510
25-05-12, 12:47 PM
I had been looking for a FWD contender for a while when I stumbled across this Magna sitting unregistered at one of the properties I was working on.
I left a note on the windscreen and after a bit of haggling a price of $200 was settled on and I borrowed a trade plate and picked it up this morning.

Unfortunately the young single mum (nopics, you wouldn't want them) took her playboy seat covers, pink fluffy steering wheel cover and stereo. She was kind enough however to leave me with the pink chequer plate floor mats, the heart stickers on the LH rear view mirror, the southern cross sticker on the rear window, and the purple stick on diamontes around the dash.

Indicators don't work, everything else seems to though. It has 280,000kms on it and was only just showing oil on the dipstick when I picked it up. 2l of Repco's finest 10w40 brought it up to the high oil mark and away it went. The motor actually runs surprisingly well blowing very little smoke.

The to do list so far is
Replace the noisy LHS CV (probably end up having to replace all of them)
Make up a solid upper engine mount to replace the broken one
Find out why the pedal pulses as you brake (seems to stop ok though)
General safety check and replace bushes etc as required
Lock up rear suspension to prevent weight transfer
Fit Nitrous kit
Fix handbrake
Weight reduction

I already have a Nitrous kit that I have pieced together with various second hand parts over the years. It owes me $350 so the build tally so far is

1 x Shitbox Magna $200
1 x Nitrous kit $350

Jim
25-05-12, 12:53 PM
Is it a v6 or 4 pot?
Looks like a good base. Gut the fuck out of it! LOL

Sketchy
25-05-12, 01:01 PM
Subscribed.

turbo510
25-05-12, 01:13 PM
3.0 v6

It will be fully gutted, picked up some more blades for the sawzall on the way home. The question is how much can I cut off the thing before it is outside the spirit of the competition?

blownhemi
25-05-12, 01:42 PM
3.0 v6

It will be fully gutted, picked up some more blades for the sawzall on the way home. The question is how much can I cut off the thing before it is outside the spirit of the competition?

Use Red Streak and the VN of Fury as a guide.

How noisy is the CV, only when you turn or all the time? if it's only when you turn just go for it and keep the cost to a minimum.

ALLMTR
25-05-12, 02:18 PM
Registering or just for 13's for $1300

Shifty
25-05-12, 02:29 PM
i was at the wreckers today, looking at an earlier gen fwd magna... i reckono that would be the go. but, this being a v6, is a damn good start

Mister Black
25-05-12, 03:07 PM
I like.

This was what I was looking for before I realized I just don't have the space for this sort of thing at the moment.

I'll be living vicariously through you for a while.

Thanks.

blownhemi
25-05-12, 03:10 PM
Wherer are going to race it? Heathcote?

Jim
25-05-12, 03:13 PM
I shaved 200kg from the red streak and it still looked registerable from a distance. Leave nothing but boot bonnet and door skins.
Imho leave drivers door intact for safety.

Jim
25-05-12, 03:15 PM
Also knowing what I now know, use a decent nos kit or turbo it and use less nos. it worked great but was hard to get reliability with one shitty fogger.

blownhemi
25-05-12, 03:23 PM
Also knowing what I now know, use a decent nos kit or turbo it and use less nos. it worked great but was hard to get reliability with one shitty fogger.

Correct jetting helps. :)

Jim
25-05-12, 03:39 PM
:p
Shenanigans :lol:
A decent activating system probably would too. But as we were chasing a lot of power on nos alone it was sketchy. We had a run of bad luck too such as the fogger twisting in the inlet.

TT
25-05-12, 03:45 PM
My neighbour had a green one of these.
he was the owner since new.
it went for $250.
flat battery and in need of a auto trans fluid flush and it would have been road worthy.
some scrap yard owner picked it up.
his one was the 3.5L I think.

turbo510
25-05-12, 04:19 PM
CV is only noisy around corners so I will give it a go. If it let's go I will replace it and try again.

Will definitely not be registering it, almost put a bag on my head to drive it home so I wouldn't be seen driving it.
It is really rough, paint is shit, dents all over it, 3 matching wheels, one steely and one factory mag. Carpet is wet, cigarette holes in the seats etc etc etc
If you wanted one to drive on the road you would be better off spending $1500 and getting a mint verada 3.5 with all the power options.

Will race it at Heathcote or Calder, whichever is more convenient at the time. I am closer to Calder.

I have a heap of nitrous bits, was thinking of setting it up with a two stage setup. 75hp then another 100hp on top once it gets moving and traction is less of an issue

Turbo is still an option though if I can find one at the right price.

blownhemi
25-05-12, 04:24 PM
CV is only noisy around corners so I will give it a go. If it let's go I will replace it and try again.

Will definitely not be registering it, almost put a bag on my head to drive it home so I wouldn't be seen driving it.
It is really rough, paint is shit, dents all over it, 3 matching wheels, one steely and one factory mag. Carpet is wet, cigarette holes in the seats etc etc etc
If you wanted one to drive on the road you would be better off spending $1500 and getting a mint verada 3.5 with all the power options.

Will race it at Heathcote or Calder, whichever is more convenient at the time. I am closer to Calder.

I have a heap of nitrous bits, was thinking of setting it up with a two stage setup. 75hp then another 100hp on top once it gets moving and traction is less of an issue

Turbo is still an option though if I can find one at the right price.

If you've got enough bits for two foggers that might be the go. First stage hits off the line then a second stage activated on the wheel or something down the track. Whether the stock pump has enough headroom for that is another thing though, might need a supplemental pump.

Jim
25-05-12, 04:56 PM
Prob need another pump but I recon thats the go.
My money is on this as we all know OKE020 wont be able to help himself and will smash the budget, MX6's are slow no matter how good the hairdresser is, and no-one believes in 3 cylinder performance anymore :p

Mister Black
25-05-12, 05:26 PM
3 matching wheels, one steely and one factory mag.

I've got a set of Z32 wheels you can borrow if you like, 5x114, 16x7.5", I think they'll fit. They currently have tyres on them, no idea how good they are though.

If you're really keen you can even buy them if you want.

Potsy
25-05-12, 05:30 PM
Auto or Manual ?

turbo510
25-05-12, 06:12 PM
It's auto. Actually wanted an auto cause I figured it would be easier than fucking a clutch and having to swap it. Might be easier to get off the line too.

Going to stick with the 15's cause I can use some of the old 205/50/15 R specs I have already lying around.

Got plenty of Nitrous bits so a 2 stage could be the go, going to try to have a look at the shitheap this weekend.

Also looks like Heathcote will be the go after looking at the requirements for Calder, fuck having to run door trims....

Potsy
25-05-12, 06:50 PM
Watching this with interest.......

MexicanBatman
25-05-12, 07:03 PM
Manual magnas go well a 3.5L manual is into 14's stock with a good driver best 3l manual was 15.1

Auto 3.0L is 17's

Bad base to start from

Also they hate boost, more than 6.5psi on a 3.5L and they give up

A manual 3.5 with weight reduction drag radials and a decent spray will do 13's

I'm DJ!
25-05-12, 07:10 PM
Subscribed - this is the go!

ALLMTR
25-05-12, 07:42 PM
best 3l manual was 15.1

Auto 3.0L is 17's

Shirley the difference between auto and manual isn't 2 seconds on a 6 cyl car....

crack
25-05-12, 07:54 PM

how?

blownhemi
25-05-12, 07:57 PM
Shirley the difference between auto and manual isn't 2 seconds on a 6 cyl car....

Might be 2sec difference between a 3.5manual and a 3.0auto

Potsy
25-05-12, 07:58 PM
How much is a 380 frontcut ?

sammm
25-05-12, 08:17 PM

how?

Also keen to know, I've always thought they were keen on boost.

Not sure how the US 6G72s differed but

11.5@125 22psi $90 Stock 3.0 Junk Motor
"Stock computer and RRfpr right now. Just tune it with wideband as much as I can control."

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/member.php?252-Ondonti

MexicanBatman
25-05-12, 09:02 PM
how?

They just do

Head over to the aussiemagna forums and find out...

Way back when I had a supercharged awd magna, they don't like boost

For the purpose of this exercise it might last a while, but don't count on it...

The USA is different to AUS the 6g72 here and there are different, for a start our 6g72 in the 3rd gen magna is on the other side of the engine bay compared with the 2nd gen magnas 6g and the 6g72 in the 3000gt/gto

Just do the nos till it cracks the pistons, then bin it.

And turbohemi is on the money, but most auto 3.5's are about a second slower than the manual 3.5's over the 1/4 stock for stock

Jim
25-05-12, 09:28 PM
May just be a case of tricking the map sensor. Iirc yank ones are maf.

turbo510
26-05-12, 02:58 PM
Unfortunately a manual 3.5 didn't show up for $200 so I will just hack up what I have.

Having looked around I am surprised what people will pay for a magna.

I am thinking just nitrous at this stage. Turboing it would take more work and I am pretty lazy. Hoping to strip it and maybe install the nitrous next week/weekend.

blownhemi
26-05-12, 03:06 PM
Strip it and gas it should do the trick I reckon, traction might be an issue

Motherfucker Jones
26-05-12, 03:09 PM
Boring stuff but the brake pedal pulse might just be warped rotors. Handbrake adjustment is inside the rear disc/handbrake drum and is a little bit cunty but doable

Motherfucker Jones
26-05-12, 03:14 PM
Two stages would be the go I reckon. Jet the first one so you can launch it without too much spin then feed it a good hit once it's moving

gtrboyy
26-05-12, 07:33 PM
Just about every magna I worked on when working for mitsubishi had warped discs or a fucked auto lol.

Jim
26-05-12, 09:09 PM
Pics of shit being stripped out not loading :D

Paddington
26-05-12, 09:48 PM
It's auto. Actually wanted an auto cause I figured it would be easier than fucking a clutch and having to swap it. Might be easier to get off the line too.

Auto is the adaptronic II, cunt of a thing. I had an immaculate tf solara, great car, auto was on the way out cause the dealers don't service them properly and they need the correct Mitsubishi trans fluid. If you hold the trans in drive and rev it hard, then release the brake, it should pick the aggressive trans map and shift a bit higher.

Believe it. Trans gets all kinds of confused, especially if you floor it high or mid rev range. Even flooring it off the line the first time after starting the car has interesting results.

GTREA
26-05-12, 09:57 PM
I always thought my old 3.5 auto TJ went alright, it ran 15.7 or 15.9 when I took it to the drags

http://users.tpg.com.au/realj//magna3.jpg

MexicanBatman
26-05-12, 10:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9rGi71t6Kk

Here's mine, did 14.4's all day long, AWD Auto

Now I look back and LOL at how slow it was, but it was also a 14.4 sec car on wet roads, unlike my 11 sec car now that is slower than a bmx in the wet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9rGi71t6Kk

Paddington
26-05-12, 10:23 PM
I always thought my old 3.5 auto TJ went alright, it ran 15.7 or 15.9 when I took it to the drags

http://users.tpg.com.au/realj//magna3.jpg

Yours had the better auto. Te/tf autos were lousy.

turbo510
26-05-12, 11:13 PM
Pics of shit being stripped out not loading :D

Just got home from a night in emergency with my 10mo son. He tried a bit hard to pull a metal central heating grate out of my brothers floor and stripped some skin off. Didn't get any pics

Magna stripping on the other hand will start next week now

Sounds like I should service the auto, any tips to make them last?

irsa76
29-05-12, 08:28 PM
Penrite do the correct auto fluid for them now, beyond that can't think of how to keep them alive besides a big tranny cooler. Have fun getting the thing to hold gears though, my KJ Verada wouldn't hold gears in manual mode, always shifted at 6000rpm while mum's manual 3.0L would rev to 6500 rpm.

sean
29-05-12, 09:20 PM
Was about to go dump a 3L Manual magna at the wrecker.... It might live in the front yard a few more weeks now!

ls400x
29-05-12, 09:21 PM
Mexicanbatman: Can you elaborate a little more on why the 6g74 doesnt like boost? I've been offered a TH 3.5 auto swap for my 13s Nubira and I need to rule it out so i stop thinking about it.

ALLMTR
29-05-12, 09:30 PM
Swap it, swap it now!

MexicanBatman
29-05-12, 09:45 PM
Mexicanbatman: Can you elaborate a little more on why the 6g74 doesnt like boost? I've been offered a TH 3.5 auto swap for my 13s Nubira and I need to rule it out so i stop thinking about it.

They just don't, I know of about 10 that have popped, mine included, cracked the crown on the piss tins...

I'd take it put a manual behind it and they fly

Can't tell you the reason why they shit it, I'm banned forever from the magna site LOL maybe poke around there

TJTime
30-05-12, 06:27 PM
LOL who are you on AMC?

You can get 10psi out of it for short periods of time before the ringlands crack. 6psi is all you can get for reliable power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8NO0LdQgmY&feature=youtu.be

The first run of the above is of my phagna running a 14.1 @ 98mph on an untuned unopened 6G75... A guy in QLD has gotten a 13.8 from a tuned 75 with better suspension, tyres etc etc etc... Probably a better driver too

Enough to keep up with an F6 haha

ALLMTR
30-05-12, 07:12 PM
You think 14.1 is keeping up with 12.5?

TJTime
30-05-12, 07:14 PM
Sorry

Enough to keep up with an F6 haha

ALLMTR
30-05-12, 07:22 PM
That's better, modify a Magna and be prepared to put all performance related posts in italics :)

Sketchy
30-05-12, 11:28 PM
Erm, aren't you clowns forgetting about the dude who has the supercharged magna here with the big brakes and shit? He's been running that thing for a few years now with minimal issues.

Rona
30-05-12, 11:55 PM
They blow up, friend of a friend had a supercharged Ralliart and did the motor in it, tis bloody quick though and sounded tough as fuck. Did 14 flat NA.

BHG247
31-05-12, 12:09 AM
They blow up, friend of a friend had a supercharged Ralliart and did the motor in it, tis bloody quick though and sounded tough as fuck. Did 14 flat NA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQl6MG_GBh0

blownhemi
31-05-12, 12:12 AM
fuckin' wing! LOL

turbo510
31-05-12, 07:59 PM
Penrite do the correct auto fluid for them now, beyond that can't think of how to keep them alive besides a big tranny cooler. Have fun getting the thing to hold gears though, my KJ Verada wouldn't hold gears in manual mode, always shifted at 6000rpm while mum's manual 3.0L would rev to 6500 rpm.

Hopefully the Nitrous will help it hold gears a bit longer.

Speaking of nitrous, is there any reason I can't mount the bottle in the back seat area?

blownhemi
31-05-12, 08:39 PM
Hopefully the Nitrous will help it hold gears a bit longer.

Speaking of nitrous, is there any reason I can't mount the bottle in the back seat area?

You can do it but it needs to be vented to the ouside via a blowdown tube in case of bottle failure.

Shifty
01-06-12, 09:38 AM
I'm sure that they don't just 'blow up'... there are few, if any, modern motors that can't cope with 8-10psi literally 'forever'.

I bet they all follow each others advice and noone has appropriate cooling, fuelling, or timing.

If you keep doing the same thing over and over and expect a different result, you are insane.

ls400x
01-06-12, 10:21 AM
Possibly correct but pistons falling off will be hard to recover from on a $1300 budget.

blownhemi
01-06-12, 12:38 PM
Just make sure you put good fuel in it and back off if it starts to rattle

Paddington
01-06-12, 09:44 PM

TE/TF Auto is the INVECS II auto, it has no manual mode. Hence me saying you have to basically tell the auto by driving aggressively or rev it hard with the foot on the brake that you want it to use the aggressive shifting points. Even then sometimes it's a bit iffy.

A stripper 3 litre with a manual would fly.

Tobed0g
02-06-12, 12:10 AM
I'm sure that they don't just 'blow up'... there are few, if any, modern motors that can't cope with 8-10psi literally 'forever'.

I bet they all follow each others advice and noone has appropriate cooling, fuelling, or timing.

If you keep doing the same thing over and over and expect a different result, you are insane.
The problem is that there's two kits available for the Fagnas.

A Sprintex model, PD blower straight on the manifold with no opportunity for intercooling. Probably the best.

OR

A piece of shit Raptor system from that stupid wanker cunt Tradewind who faps around on the internet about his piece of shit system. Who the cunt thinks its a good idea to put a centrifugal blower on a fucking N/A Subaru engine, stupid daft cunt.

TJTime
02-06-12, 11:00 AM
What about the rotrex system?

turbo510
03-06-12, 03:03 PM
You can do it but it needs to be vented to the ouside via a blowdown tube in case of bottle failure.

Cool, pretty sure there is a blowdown tube with all the nitrous bits I have.

Been fixing some work gear this weekend, hope to get stuck in to the fagna this week

crack
26-08-12, 08:21 AM
Any progress bloke or is this being built on the down low? Stripping and NOS the plan wasn't it?

Race Spec
26-08-12, 12:42 PM
Surely with a 3.5 litre engine and some breathing mods, 200kg + stripped out of it and secondhand set of drag radials, it should run a 13.9 at least. If not, add a dose of NOS.

I don't think turbo/supercharging is the answer for this build.

irsa76
26-08-12, 08:40 PM
TE/TF Auto is the INVECS II auto, it has no manual mode. Hence me saying you have to basically tell the auto by driving aggressively or rev it hard with the foot on the brake that you want it to use the aggressive shifting points. Even then sometimes it's a bit iffy.

A stripper 3 litre with a manual would fly.
TF Sports introduced the sportshift with manual mode on the 4 speed, still with invecsII. Can't for the life of me remember if the TF transmission ecu changed between regular and sport models, with any luck they didn't and you can pick up the sportshift lever for peanuts. Later models used sportsshift on the 5 speed autos, Veradas/AWD.
A 3 liter manual Exec is rather rapid, a 3.5L manual exec/Sport is actually seriously rapid. Iirc they were as quick as the AU XR6 VCT of the day, so probably not far off the V8s. Good tyres is a must, my Verada could overcome the TC with it's OE 16" rubber, mum's old manual 3L would just smoke the 15"s!

turbo510
26-08-12, 11:24 PM
Hoping to get this in to the shed next week and strip it, been to cold to do anything outside in Melbourne. Just got to finish screwing my old dodge ute together so the new owner can drive it home.
I figure given the level of care involved with the magna it shouldn't take too long.
Only progress so far is a massive dose of mould all over the interior. Guess it is lucky I am going to chuck it all anyway.