PDA

View Full Version : Mk triton won't run.

SLO78U
23-06-12, 04:54 PM
My mk triton won't start. Cranks, sparks but no fuel.
Dropped the tank out and checked the pump. All good.
Checked all fuses. All good.
Switched relays around.

Not getting power at the pump.

Any ideas ? It's driving me nuts.

Shonky
23-06-12, 05:42 PM
Trace back wiring from pump? You've done half of the diagnosis...

Assuming these things have a dedicated fuel pump relay, try bridging it. At least you know then it's on the driving side of the relay (ECU maybe) or the switched side actually running to the pump.

SLO78U
23-06-12, 06:16 PM
Any one know where the fuel pump relay may be hiding.

Thanks shonky. I think tomorrow will be spent undoing the factory loom to chase it back. Not looking forward to it.

Shonky
23-06-12, 06:21 PM
I have no idea about Tritons apart from a mate having that model which hasn't ever fucked up.

You'd be better trying to find a wiring diagram/service manual if you can. It will probably go through more than one connection. Cars I've owned I think have always had the fuel pump relay in the main fuse box.

You said you switched the relays around... Which relays were you swapping then?

KanaL
23-06-12, 06:34 PM
From memory, there's no dedicated fuel pump relay...

have you got a second key you could try?

SLO78U
23-06-12, 06:49 PM
Don't know what the relays were for. Just switched them all around.

I'll go searching for a wiring diagram now shonky.

This is the first time it has gone wrong. Worked yesterday but no good today. Made me think fuses first. Also I got some fuel from a cheap servo which then made me think blocked pump. There is now 60l of fuel killing weeds around the house.

Have a second coded key. Tried that to.

MRMOPARMAN
24-06-12, 09:59 PM
any good with a multimeter?

rather that strip whole looms back, which is a cunt, trace the loom back to the next connector, and test continuity between the 2 points. after you trace the loom thats giving trouble, then strip wiring back/look for rubbing/stretchage/excessive movement etc.

but i think you will find it wont likely be wiring. wiring is rarely the source of trouble, especially on jap machinery. unless someone has fucked with it.

SLO78U
26-06-12, 10:10 PM
Anyone got a triton and know where the fuel relay is ?

If that doesn't work I'll chase the loom back. I couldn't find and joins under the car. Plugs in then joins in with sender wires, rear light wires. Then goes into the cab.

SLO78U
30-06-12, 09:51 AM
A fucking week has gone past. I have tried everything I can and it still no work.

About to go and strip the loom and chase it the old fashion way.

I even called Mitsubishi and asked where the relay was. The cunt couldn't even tell me that. Only that they don't stock them. All the auto electricians I called couldn't tell me what it looked like. Only that they don't stock them.

Jim
30-06-12, 10:13 AM
before you go stripping looms, make sure that's the actual problem. put power directly to the fuel pump and see if it runs. It may be an issue where the ECU won't send the pump start current as it is waiting for signal from the crank angle sensor or some such. The fault may be unrelated to the fuel circuit is what I'm saying.
Also, check that the pump is really working. :p

SLO78U
30-06-12, 09:09 PM
So I went back to square 1 this morning.
Check fuses, all good.
Check relay ( yes I found it ), all good.
Check wiring, all good.
Check wiring at pump, all good.
Right must be the pump or the connections between the top and the pump.
Drop tank out again, remove pump.
Check pump, broke.

Talking to a mate and he said sometimes when a pump goes if you give it a bump then power it will fire for a bit.

So got a new pump today.

Things I learned. My car doesn't prime when the key is turned on. Power only goes to the pump when cranking or running.

Thanks for the help guys.