PDA

View Full Version : 11s for $1100 86' VFR750f interceptor

Et!
29-10-12, 10:08 PM
I know it isn't an official challenge yet but fuck the lot of you i'm doing it, Here's my story.

They other day I was on the piss at a mates 30th and just happened to get talking to his mate about bikes, he mentioned he got offered a VFR for $100 and as anyone would he jumped at the opportunity, fast forward a few days and I got in touch with him and said I would take it off his hands for triple what he paid before he even laid a hand on it. As a massive jew he counter offered it to me for $400, so I coughed up the dough and here it is.

http://imageshack.us/a/img542/4968/20121029170941601.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img708/6278/201210291709241171.jpg

The to-do list -
Fix the front brakes, binding up.
Check and lube the chain and see if its salvageable
Get it running
----> run an 11

So far I have drained all the fluids and checked the air filter which is in surprisingly great nick, as of today I still have $700 left.

Wish me luck

ALLMTR
29-10-12, 10:26 PM
Sniper nitrous kits are about $450

What did these run new?

Dexi
29-10-12, 10:28 PM
Nice! Good luck!

blownhemi
29-10-12, 10:32 PM
Keen to see how this goes. Like the proactive attitude too.

Et!
29-10-12, 11:02 PM
Cheers lads.

Allmtr according to wiki they did a 10.95 when new, got 100hp and weigh 230kg. But this ones got almost 100,000km on the dial, with any luck my jockey weight and some weight loss and HP regaining mods ill be able to get it back to that.... or blow a gearbag.

neet_wagon
30-10-12, 06:56 AM
Cheers lads.

Allmtr according to wiki they did a 10.95 when new, got 100hp and weigh 230kg. But this ones got almost 100,000km on the dial, with any luck my jockey weight and some weight loss and HP regaining mods ill be able to get it back to that.... or blow a gearbag.

Surprising that they say it's so quick. ZX7R I have is supposed to do an 11.2, has 114hp and weighs 203kg?
Watching this one with interest.

Gammaboy
30-10-12, 10:26 AM
I never come across bargains like this. Fuggen.

TT
30-10-12, 10:54 AM
front tyre on the right way?

Gammaboy
30-10-12, 10:57 AM
I think it is, Metzler lasertec - weird huh.

big_pete
30-10-12, 10:58 AM
How much weight can you pull off something like this?

Rorz de Puniet
30-10-12, 12:15 PM
Haha, nice work. I bet it runs an 11 as is.

How much weight can you pull off something like this?

Not a whole lot I wouldn't think unless he removes lights, mirrors etc. Even then, those parts aren't as heavy as you'd probably think. Pillion pegs might weigh a couple kilos. You could remove the side stand and just use a paddock stand like a race bike but it's a pain in the arse and not likely to make any difference at the strip.

Rorz de Puniet
30-10-12, 12:16 PM
Does it have a centre stand?

Tils
30-10-12, 01:09 PM
Does it have a centre stand?

It appears that it does. If you look at the picture with the view of the left side you can see there is a foot lever behind the peg. And from the other side you can see the centre stands leg...

blownhemi
30-10-12, 01:26 PM
Haha, nice work. I bet it runs an 11 as is.

Not a whole lot I wouldn't think unless he removes lights, mirrors etc. Even then, those parts aren't as heavy as you'd probably think. Pillion pegs might weigh a couple kilos. You could remove the side stand and just use a paddock stand like a race bike but it's a pain in the arse and not likely to make any difference at the strip.

Fairing and all that crap would weigh a bit and have little effect over the standing quarter.

Gammaboy
30-10-12, 01:29 PM
Fairing helps you hang on at 120mph.

Rorz de Puniet
30-10-12, 01:44 PM
It appears that it does. If you look at the picture with the view of the left side you can see there is a foot lever behind the peg. And from the other side you can see the centre stands leg...

Definitely bin that.

Fairing and all that crap would weigh a bit and have little effect over the standing quarter.

Fairings improve aerodynamics which will definitely have an effect on terminal speed. I'd put money on it being faster with fairings.

Fairing helps you hang on at 120mph.

This also.

Beavis
30-10-12, 01:46 PM
My 2000 VFR800 has about 35,000mi on it and the only ways you can tell are scratches on the tank and a filthy fuck swingarm. They are in the dictionary under "well-built"...

Rorz de Puniet
30-10-12, 02:13 PM
Honda’s VF750 was dogged with reliability problems back in ‘86, so Honda created a bike so over-engineered it need never suffer the terrible taunting its predecessor had; the VFR750. To this day, VFRs are still regarded as some of the most dependable bikes on the planet.

But dependable needn’t mean boring. In fact, back in ’86 the VFR was a sportsbike so fine that Ron Haslam stuck one on the podium in that year’s Transatlantic Match Races.

As time went by and sportsbikes got better, the VFR slotted into its ‘all-rounder’ role and has been regarded as one of the best do-it-all bikes around ever since.

It’s comfortable enough to ride all day, perfectly okay in town, pillions barely upset the thing and the V-four motor blends easy, torquey power with plenty of shove and a dose of character and it’s all just about guaranteed to run forever.

Camshafts
Honda fitted dependable gear-driven cams to the VFR, hence the characteristic whistle of meshing teeth. However, the pre-1990 VFRs still suffered a camshaft related recall due to a lack of oil pressure. Honda switched back to chain operation in 2002 on the VFR800 VTEC.

Tyre Choice
Original 1986 bikes came with 16-inch front and 18-inch rear wheels. From ’88-on they became 17-inchers, but all pre-1990 bikes have narrow rims (2.5'' front 3.5'' rear) which limits tyre choice. Later models have wider rims that accept more desirable radial tyres.

Front Brakes
Despite a slight improvement in the 1990 bike, the front brakes remained a little weak on all VFR750s. Braided hoses are a useful mod. We recommend replacing the brake pads with Honda’s OE pads – they work best with the standard discs.

Service Intervals
Minor service intervals (oil and filter) are every 4000 miles or six months, with a more comprehensive service every 8000 miles and a major seeing-to at 16,000. The latter includes valve clearances and will set you back around £325 including parts, labour and VAT. The VFR750 is getting on a bit, so check for excessive wear in the consumables – chain and sprockets, fork seals, tyres, brake pad and disc wear. Check the bike’s service history to be certain it has been looked after properly.

Gearbox
At very high mileage (around 60,000 miles, depending on use) the gearbox output shaft can get sloppy: it ends up with too much play in it and gear selection can become difficult. There’s not much you can do – in theory you need a gearbox re-build, but taking account of the age of the bike you’re probably better off fitting a second-hand engine in better nick. Or you can bodge it by putting a bracket on the gear lever output shaft to hold it in.

Front Sprocket Bolt
The bolt holding the front sprocket on can work loose. If you remove it make sure you clean the threads, use a thread locking compound and tighten to the correct torque. Buying a new bolt with each chain and sprocket set is a good idea.

Chassis
The VFR750 always handled well enough to keep up with sportier machines, but at high motorway speeds the steering had a tendency to become rather vague. Don’t get unduly worried. Honda’s engineers reworked the chassis on the later VTEC model to sort it.

Suspension
The suspension is unadjustable, so the only way to improve the set-up is to replace or rework the standard components. The rear shock tends to get saggy at around 18,000 miles and will need a rebuild. Knock a few quid off the asking price if the rear seems soggy.

Exhaust
The collector box is mild steel and rots from the inside out before anything else. Check for this problem if you’re buying second hand – if the collector box has started to rot you’ll have to replace it, at which point you’re better off replacing the whole system. Motad do a full stainless system for the VFR750 for £570, (01922) 728404.

Tyres are awfully thin. Might be hard to buy sticky rubber for an 18" wheel too. I wonder how hard it is to fit a CBR600 or CBR1000 rear wheel? Might just need some spacers and get the sprocket carrier machined. Then you could buy used race rubber for bugger all.

Change the sprockets too, they're good for 150 mph on the standard gearing so you could drop a tooth at the front I reckon.

You might get lucky and come across a used system for it, that might help too. I reckon if you do the above then get drag straps to compress the forks you might just get it into the 10's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPORTBIKE-LOWERING-STRAP-DRAG-BIKE-RACING-SUSPENSION-FRONT-FORK-GSX-R-ZX-CBR-YZF-/150936179133?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item23247f51bd&vxp=mtr

blownhemi
30-10-12, 02:36 PM
Definitely bin that.

Fairings improve aerodynamics which will definitely have an effect on terminal speed. I'd put money on it being faster with fairings.

If it was salt flats and 150-200mph I'd agree but this is quarter mile and you're only at those speeds for a couple seconds. Light weight wins over aero dynamics for the low end of the drag racing scale.

If it was me I'd strip the fucker down.

Gammaboy
30-10-12, 02:43 PM
Sticky rubber in 18" is not common, I know, my Kat runs 18" wheels.
There is no way my Kat would be faster sans fairing.

Et!
30-10-12, 06:36 PM
Plan of attack is get it running and do a test run as is, then pull bits off from there. The tyre thing probably wont have and effect, a 190 on a 5.5in rim will probably have the same upright contact patch as this tiny thing and with the traction compound at willowbank I doubt ill get it to slip anyways, if I do it could even help me a little as I learnt to drag race in townsville, which has 0 grip.

Et!
30-10-12, 06:41 PM
Just realised the fork seals are weeping, so a fork rebuild is on the cards too.

Rorz de Puniet
02-11-12, 12:51 AM
Plan of attack is get it running and do a test run as is, then pull bits off from there. The tyre thing probably wont have and effect, a 190 on a 5.5in rim will probably have the same upright contact patch as this tiny thing and with the traction compound at willowbank I doubt ill get it to slip anyways, if I do it could even help me a little as I learnt to drag race in townsville, which has 0 grip.

I think the 190 would put more rubber on the road especially at launch with the weight transfer to the rear and obviously a Supercorsa etc is going to have more grip than ancient touring tyres. As you say though, with the prepped surface at Willowbank the skinny 18 incher might hook up great.

Bummer about the fork seals. You going to rebuild them yourself or get someone to do it?

Et!
03-11-12, 08:52 PM
Just do em myself, right way ups are pretty easy. http://www.boostclassifieds.com.au/advert/2142033-1988-Honda-Cbr1000f-for-Sale.html heres a potential other contestant!

Mike Lowrrryyy
03-11-12, 10:22 PM
Hmmm I might be up for this challenge next year.
Best of luck with it.

Et!
23-12-12, 06:32 PM
So I finally got back into the shed the other night and changed the oil and coolant, filled the battery with acid and charged it. Got the bitch cranking and it sounds sweet but it wouldnt come to life on start ya bastard alone. A couple of the fuel lines have gone so crispy I snapped them when I took the tank off so im going to get some new stuff and a few reducers (the pump has 6mm fitting and the rest it 10mm) when I get a chance. Once all thats done Im quite confident it would start and run pretty well.

Cantilever Bridge
24-12-12, 07:15 PM
As a massive jew he counter offered it to me for $400, so I coughed up the dough and here it is.

hate cunts like this...

littlefireyone
28-12-12, 10:41 AM
It's bullshit aye, he can pick up sluts on a scooter without lifting a finger.

Rorz de Puniet
28-12-12, 06:02 PM
So I finally got back into the shed the other night and changed the oil and coolant, filled the battery with acid and charged it. Got the bitch cranking and it sounds sweet but it wouldnt come to life on start ya bastard alone. A couple of the fuel lines have gone so crispy I snapped them when I took the tank off so im going to get some new stuff and a few reducers (the pump has 6mm fitting and the rest it 10mm) when I get a chance. Once all thats done Im quite confident it would start and run pretty well.

Rebuilt the forks yet?

Et!
28-12-12, 10:17 PM
nope, been pretty slack, got my RD350 mostly stripped down and then went to thailand to get fucked up then raced scooters on the goldy. Now I have received some head gaskets and stem seals for the race bike (VFR400) so ill be getting into that before the first race of the year. It could take a while to get through this.

Fondles
28-12-12, 11:03 PM
If it was salt flats and 150-200mph I'd agree but this is quarter mile and you're only at those speeds for a couple seconds. Light weight wins over aero dynamics for the low end of the drag racing scale.

If it was me I'd strip the fucker down.

Yeah Jay Upton did pretty shit over the 1/4 with fairings........

Speaking of which did he ever sell the bike ?

Rorz de Puniet
29-12-12, 12:13 AM
nope, been pretty slack, got my RD350 mostly stripped down and then went to thailand to get fucked up then raced scooters on the goldy. Now I have received some head gaskets and stem seals for the race bike (VFR400) so ill be getting into that before the first race of the year. It could take a while to get through this.

I've gotta pull the head off the ER6n as well... when I finish fixing the GSXR. It's lucky I'm fully sponsored so none of it comes out of my own pocket.

Yeah Jay Upton did pretty shit over the 1/4 with fairings........

Speaking of which did he ever sell the bike ?

Is there anyone else crazy enough to ride it?

Aero --> removing weight of fairings on a bike

For starters, they're actually pretty damn light. As a percentage of the bike/rider overall weight it'd be pretty much fuck all. When I pulled all the road fairings, lights, mirrors etc off the GSXR I was shocked by how light it all was. The whole lot would be lucky to be a couple kilos, lights and all. The pillion pegs probably weighed more than the fairings, tail, mirrors and lights. Bikes also seem to hit aero barriers quite badly- perhaps because of the smaller engines. I remember my little CBR250RR would hit a brick wall at 180km/h even though it had more rpm to give. Just didn't have the power/torque to break through the aero barrier. Get a big tail wind and you might see 185-190km/h. Take the fairings off and it'd probably only do 170km/h. Most of the serious guys racing SV650's and ER6n's actually adapt GSXR and ZX6R fairings to fit the totally different twins purely for aero- and they top out at 200km/h-odd. So yeah, aero is important I would think to acceleration as well as top speed even with lowish powered bikes.

Et!
30-12-12, 05:31 PM
Got it running today, wont idle without the choke and the front left cylinder isnt firing so well, that pretty much leaves me with a stripdown and clean of the carbs and possibly just some plugs. After I got it running I just jammed it in the corner of the shed where it will stay for a while now and continued pulling down my RD350.

Winnie256
04-01-13, 12:41 PM
hate cunts like this...

why? Because they want to sell something for what it is worth to them?