Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Drug Test Laws

New Drug Test Laws

I have heard that there is a new toy for the boys in blue and it can test if someone is under the influence of Marajuana, Speed, Cocaine,Ecxtasy and other drugs.

What are the new drug test laws?
    Are they in effect from now?
    What Are The Penalties?
    What do you guys think about the new tests?
    Do these test show if you have previously taken any of the drugs?

Also how can they effectivly convict you with these tests. eg:
    In Canberra you are allowed to have marajuana for personal use an excuse like "I was In Canberra a couple hours ago,I had a smoke then".
    Last edited by GT-R LM; 01-10-03 at 12:36 AM.

Who in their right (non pot affected) mind wouldn`t support this new law?,Getting the piss and pot heads off the road is one less thing to worry about while driving IMHO and can only be applauded.

Also im all for the new law that says you can be pulled over and breath tested for no reason as well,For the sake of a little inconvenience,I rather be alive then planted in the bonnet of some knob with his back teeth floating

Steve
    Last edited by steevo; 01-10-03 at 12:56 AM.
    "I drink to make other people interesting."

its about time i reckon...u cant drink drive...u cant take drugs and drive.

alot less ****wits on teh road when they introduce it!
    MY00 WRX
    1997 Yamaha Waveblaster 1 LE

As long as companies dont get a hold of it, I find piss tests enough of an invasion of privacy as it is
    SV1000S *blop blop blop*

* Rz`` has joined #boostcruising

I think you're talking about the Saliva tests that have been around for years. They've been talking about introducing it on the roadside for as long as I can remember. The big issue here in my opinion is that these tests are effective even if you, for example, smoked pot up to 48 hours ago. That's not really under the influence is it?

I think it shouldn't be handled like booze buses, but more if a driver is driving eratically or gets pulled over, THEN they can be tested. Not just testing everything and everyone in sight.

Edit: Also, no states in Australia specifically allow the use of marijuana. There is a big difference between legalisation and decriminalisation. The first is when it's 100% legal to smoke, the second is where it's still illegal, but it doesn't go on your criminal record if you get caught. More like a parking ticket.
    Last edited by dhs; 01-10-03 at 04:22 AM.
    2005 VZ SS 5.7L M6 Ute

Wonder how many of the cops will fail the tests if they try them on themselves, dont laugh, I have caught a cop in the act of snorting speed in his patrol car on duty
    Subaru Legacy RS Turbo

Getting all the stoned morons off the road is a very good move, and I expect it will be solidly supported by the community.

Most likely the saliva test will only be used as a roadside screen, the same as a breathalyser. If you fail the test, you get to take a blood and urine test. Athletes have been getting these same tests for years, and they are very sensitive.

As these drugs are illegal, I see no reason why you should not be charged with driving under the influence at some set reading, and charged with illegal use for any non zero reading. Wouldn't that be something eh !
    Tony

mmm
    does anyone know if this sort of thing is actually in use at the moment?
    Pulsar Power

My acceptance of these laws depends on the way the tests work. For example, the zany components of Whacky Tobaccy stay in your system for literally years; how recently would you have smoked (or visited Amsterdam & bought a bikky at the local deli) before you got picked-up?

I'm really not a fan of "it's illegal so therefore we will put people in jackboots at all street corners shooting anyone we suspect of partaking in it". It's exactly like being arse-reamed for exceeding the speed limit.
    Mr Mango & Mr Pear are my heroes!!

(*) Assisted by Boeing Drivers in 2005.

If were a girl I'd have a Toyota Starlet GT Turbo

evolancer
    As long as the tests are used solely to remove drug-affected drivers from the roads, they have my support (not really any different to an RBT).

However, I'm concerned that they may be used to penalise people who have residual traces of drugs in their system, but are not affected. Perhaps they should only be used if the driver appears to be under the influence?

I think that is a very good idea, but I think it should only be used sparingly, when the police officer suspects a driver to be under the influence.

But how would it work if you have had a drink spiked with some form of drug the night before, or been in a room where others have been smoking marijuana, and you hae breathed in the smoke. Is that going to effect your reading at all?

I would have no problems doing the test if I was pulled over, but it would become the same as RBT. If your on P plates, your pulled over, given a bad attitude by the officer, discriminated against because of your age, and then they go over your car trying to defect you(Only some, i'm not trying to generalise here)
    *2000 Honda CBR600F - **SOLD**
    *1990 Toyota Celica GT4 - **SOLD**
    *1992 UZZ31 Toyota Soarer V8

Suspended
    pot stays in hair, body for bloody ages!

ecstacy/speed stays in system for just under a week.

So if you have a pill or two on a sat, coming to next weekend you get tested but you in no way under the influence anymore.

these test are flawed.

Suspended
    Originally posted by GT4_Jase
    I think that is a very good idea, but I think it should only be used sparingly, when the police officer suspects a driver to be under the influence.

But how would it work if you have had a drink spiked with some form of drug the night before, or been in a room where others have been smoking marijuana, and you hae breathed in the smoke. Is that going to effect your reading at all?

I would have no problems doing the test if I was pulled over, but it would become the same as RBT. If your on P plates, your pulled over, given a bad attitude by the officer, discriminated against because of your age, and then they go over your car trying to defect you.
    if your drink is spiked you will test positive to the saliva test. Your tough luck

thats why i say these test wont really make it like the breath test of alcohol.

I think the tests will be useful when they show that driving under the influences of certain substances decreases driving performance...similiar to studies with alcohol.

Wouldnt speed and exctasy speed up reaction times and therefore be good for drivers

Lets just hope they dont also get the idea of testing for WADA's list of banned substances.
    Last edited by bjm; 01-10-03 at 11:00 AM.

too old for this shit Kiahatsiu's Avatar
    I heard somewhere that they were thinking about using the good old fashion "walk in a straight line and touch your nose" test. If the police were not convinced of your sobroity you are then taken to the station and tested. This was because, as Forg said, the weed stays in your system for months and it might not be effecting you motor skills at the time.

Either way, I think that it is something that should be done. To put it simply, it will make the roads safer.
    Torque sells tow cars.
    Horsepower wins horse races.

Time for some facts. There will be roadside tests based on reasonable suspicion evaluated by the officer controlling the device. Minimum levels will be required to sustain a charge of driving under the influence of the particular drug as obviously below certain levels of certain drugs per ml of blood, the drug will not have any effect on driving ability.

The law will provide that the officer must form a view based on a reasonable suspicion that the person is driving under the influence of a particular drug as opposed to the drink driving laws which provide the officer ability to test anyone driving a motor vehicle. The main reason for this is because the test takes about 15 minutes to provide a result, so if the test was done randomly it would severely infringe the efficient conduct of people going about their business and would be a big waste of resources from the departments POV.

So there's the facts. I profer no personal opinion about this, suffice to say that anyone who is noticably under the influence of any drug should not be operating a motor vehicle.

Due to the complexity of the equipment and the drastic potential of the laws, they will not be ready to be effected for some months.

Re: New Drug Test Laws

Originally posted by nismo 400 R N1
    I have heard that there is a new toy for the boys in blue and it can test if someone is under the influence of Marajuana, Speed, Cocaine,Ecxtasy and other drugs.

What are the new drug test laws?
    Are they in effect from now?
    What Are The Penalties?
    What do you guys think about the new tests?
    Do these test show if you have previously taken any of the drugs?

Also how can they effectivly convict you with these tests. eg:
    In Canberra you are allowed to have marajuana for personal use an excuse like "I was In Canberra a couple hours ago,I had a smoke then".
    u sound as if your a smoker and driver and dont wanna be done.

i head about this about a month ago. its a "chewing gum" that u have to chew for 3 mins and it changes colour or some shit letting im know if ya smoking weed etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobster View Post
    Freeze a gearbox and slide it under his front door

2ofdem
    If it is similar to an RBT and test drivers driving under the influence of a certain drug be it alcohol or anything else I am all for it. The flipside to this is if the drugs stay in your system for weeks or month they no longer affest youre driving ability and therefore I see the test as a means to finding drug users under the pretence of road safety.

therefore I see the test as a means to finding drug users under the pretence of road safety.
    Paranoia is heightened by dope use :P

Just a comment - walking the white line is a load of poo - I can guarantee you I can smoke a forest load and still walk a white line and touch my nose with my eyes shut etc etc and not look shaky or wrecked.

That said it does not mean I get whacked and go for a drive and I wholefartedly agree if people are driving like spastics because they are flogged they should be off the road.
    PF's personal purveyor of pleasant wooden penises.

lol at rj-
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobster View Post
    Freeze a gearbox and slide it under his front door

I just can see how they can get accurate results if marajuana stores in your blood and fat cells for around 3 months so if you smoked a month ago you still can get caught.
    Since the government and police cant get their act straight with speeding and Defects. I cant see them policing this properly.
    My opinion is if someone is under the influence and cant control his or her vehicle properly they should be tested.

We are talking like this is already in place but last I had heard (and someone feel free to correct me) was that it had not been passed as yet and there was major uproar from the Civil Liberties people (as usual)??

Another point - how can police officers justify this tactic when they are not even willing to subject themselves to drug tests when on duty? Double standard anyone?
    PF's personal purveyor of pleasant wooden penises.

A couple of points.

How is this going to change things?
    It sounds like they are only going to be testing people who are driving erratically or doing something to indicate that they are currently under the influence of drugs.

But is this the current situation? I thought, if you were pulled over and the copper has reasonable suspiction that you are under the influence of a drug, they can take you to a hospital and get a blood test done? Is this right? Then you get charged for high range? drink driving?

However it does concern me as to how this will be policed, and what levels will be deemed as "safe" levels. People are always going to use drugs in our society, wether they are illegal or not. NOTHING can change this. It's just a matter of mitigating the risk.

I'm just afraid that they will say any amount in your blood is enough to effect you. I have friends that smoke weed, I often am talking to them while they are doing so. As a result I probably passively breath in a tiny bit of smoke. Enough to effect me, no way. But it may be enough to show up in my blood, given a test. Would I get nicked for this?

I'm sure there would be many other people in this situation.

Pretty much I have a fear of over-policing.
    It is summer. It is spring. I am immeasurably, unbearably happy. I am three years old. I am sixty. I am six. I am there.

Oh, and "Please don't stalk teh wemens"

I'm going to stay neutral on this subject, but i'll add my 2c!

When I was in the UK, I was in the newsagents, treating it like a library and reading some rave/club magazine..

In said magazine, they did a driving test (in controlled conditions) with about 5 people..

1 person was completely straight, the other 4 were under the influence of various drugs ranging from weed to cocaine..

The funny thing was, the person under the influence of weed performed the best in all the tests (they did go a little slower though - speed wise not reaction wise!)

As RJ astra has said - weed seems to induce paranoia in those that use it and in this controlled envirnoment, it seems the person under the influence of it did extremely well!!

I think the person on Coke did the worst though - failing almost every test!!
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

its a good idea..

me and my mates must look like drugloards or something... on several occasions cops have pulled us over and asked what we where doing? this is the middle of the day not like 3 in the morning or anything, then they proceed to "check the car for drugs"

think next time some talcum powder in a bag may be in order just for some fun.

The funny thing was, the person under the influence of weed performed the best in all the tests (they did go a little slower though - speed wise not reaction wise!)
    The current wisdom of a driver's ability under the influence of "weed" is they indeed do seem to drive a bit slower. YET they have a much worse ability to stay within their lane (distorts their spacial awareness). Seems to me to be a very dangerous situation -> headon accidents, pole/tree hits.

Originally posted by bjm
    Wouldnt speed and exctasy speed up reaction times and therefore be good for drivers

Thats Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe they should pull ppl over who are driving erratically, and if they DONT have drugs in their system, they should give them some in the hope of making them a better driver

Hell, they give speed to US troops in combat.
    L28E 260z

Sure.......... And a few beers makes you a better driver as well, right ?

I am sure all the formula one guys are stoned out of their minds, that is why they are so good, right ?
    Tony

Originally posted by Warpspeed
    Sure.......... And a few beers makes you a better driver as well, right ?

I am sure all the formula one guys are stoned out of their minds, that is why they are so good, right ?

Speed and Marijuana or Alcohol are completely different. That argument is void.

As for the idea of "tests being administered at the police officers' view of a person being under the influence", I see this as being rather like the "your factory BOV isnt legal" argument. I can see every P plater in the country being pulled over at least once for this test, and how many would pass?
    <dan-> so just to clarify this.. your dad's defence against car theft is a swift piss on the face ?

Regarding the french cars, from what i've been able to deduce the wheel and hub are fitted together as blanks (no holes) then a man named jacques gets a drill press and drills between 2 and 7 holes in random locations, the hubs are then tapped (each hole with a different threadform to prevent the wrong bolt going into the wrong hole) and the wheel and hub are bolted together and then attached to the suspension. - Hotgemini