Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speeding Fine, Detected Speed vs Alleged Speed

Speeding Fine, Detected Speed vs Alleged Speed

Some how I managed to get my Diesel Gemini over 100kph and the tax man in his undercover XR8 thought it an opportune time to meet his revenue collection quota and do his bit to help keep the Victorian budget in surpluses.

The speedo was reading about 105kph going with the traffic flow then yee haa it’s piggy party time.

After the normal Cop vs victimised driver interaction I was left with an infringement notice with a detected speed of 117 and alleged speed of 115. Putting it right at the bottom of the “Exceed speed limit by 15kph or more but less than 25kph” bracket with an inflation aligned $215 and 3 point prize Steve Destroyer of Victoria Bracks.

I was under the impression that they took the illegally set 3kph buffer off the detected speed and if the cop had done this, it would have put me in the lower tax bracket with an alleged speed 114kph.

Have I missed some thing or has Bracks and his fcuk wit cronies changed the rules again or don’t the cops learn simple maths?
    Stagea RS4
    Datsun 1600 Rally Car
    Gemini Turbo Diesel (parked in a paddock)
    Volvo 242 GT

>>>
    have a little bit of respect eh?
    EMS Cold Start - starts third time, every time.

maybe if you hadn't had your so-called "normal Cop vs victimised driver interaction" he might have been a bit more lenient and dropped that extra 1k.

story time:
    someone I know had just got a new car (small, supercharged, fun...) and was out for a leisurely drive (and no, I'm not being facetious, it really was leisurely), anyway, he was overtaking a car down a country hill in a 90 zone, when a TMU car with roof mounted radar came round the bend far up ahead. Friend knew he was speeding, so pulled over straight away when the cop slowed down to do a u turn, basically opposite where the cop had stopped. Said cop had detected friend at a speed that should have cost friend his licence (about 135ish), but was willing to knock it down as friend was open about admitting that he was at fault and did not give the guy lip, as well as pulling over straight away, thus avoiding the cop having to chase. Friend ended up getting a ticket for 99 in a 90..... friend happy
    2014 Brilliant Black Audi S3

MickyD, word is, you can also get honest politicians in Victoria. Even though I'm yet to know of one, I'm certain they do exist.

The Victoria Police have a revenue quota to achieve, period.

The only saviour you could have is a videocamera in the car, filming your driving and police harrasment. Remember, the govt is not willing to support the noition its revenue camera's are faulty, remember the datsun at 159km/h (or thereabouts) that took them over half a year to finally admit "oh hey, somethings wrong with our safety cameras".

Dont defend the TMU in Victoria, they are absolute and utter pig headed, worthless scum. Tell me the last time you saw one of these worthless, lazy, grossly obese scum booking somebody for tailgating, sitting in the right lane at below the speed limit or general dangerous driving? Thats right, hardly ever. Basically bouncer school dropouts. The remainder of Victoria Police on the other hand are where the honest and human Police officers are.
    Quote Originally Posted by paul05
    don't waste your time asking questions about real cars on the rice forum go to ls1 .com ,it's alot more accommodating and informative than pf.
    WTB in Melb - Ford AU 6 cyl engine - needs to be in good condition

Autoerotic Mummification TonyJZX's Avatar
    Originally posted by MickyD
    Said cop had detected friend at a speed that should have cost friend his licence (about 135ish), but was willing to knock it down as friend was open about admitting that he was at fault and did not give the guy lip, as well as pulling over straight away,
    Can I solicit an opinion?

Now just say you were doing a legitimate overtaking maneuovre - 110 zone... a guy in a Landcruiser is sitting on 110 with a 20 foot boat and you come to a overtaking lane.

Now you have an SS or XR6T or some import... you rocket up to a decent speed to overtake... say 129 for arguments sake.

This is a safe, measured move knowing that the overtaking lane isn't going to continue forever... you get pinged at some such speed... are you happy if a cop gives you a 119 in a 110 zone as a sign of 'good faith'?

I'm a bit surprised that so many people are 'happy' if they get fined anyway for no 'fault' or 'harm' simply because they didn't get stung for something higher.

And they forget that at the heart of it, they are really doing nothing wrong.

What are overtaking lanes for? It stands to reason that if someone is blocking you at 110, you have to do a bit more than that overtake?

Only in this sort of modern regime do people get fined for no crime doing what the lanes are provided for AND THEY ARE HAPPY ABOUT IT!

T.

Can you get booked for speeding while overtaking? While being on the wrong side of the road I mean?

See I picked up the cab & drove it back to Brissy on the weekend...there were some decent speeds achieved overtaking trucks, caravans etc...

Originally posted by edo
    Can you get booked for speeding while overtaking? While being on the wrong side of the road I mean?
    Definitely! Very few cameras are set-up so they'll get you, though; and I've done 140 on the wrong side of the road, past a policeperson, & been ignored. It's certainly officially illegal though; the law only allows you to travel at the speed limit, regardless of how long that leaves you on the wrong side of the road (the argument being "if you have to stay out there so long, why do you need to overtake in the first place?").
    Mr Mango & Mr Pear are my heroes!!

(*) Assisted by Boeing Drivers in 2005.

If were a girl I'd have a Toyota Starlet GT Turbo

Probably because I was going past 2 B doubles & a caravan...

I guess thats a no no too...1800km & no tickets though!

The fastest I've ever driven on the road was in the ol' unfiddled 242GT ... 170km/h on the Monaro Highway. Purely 'cos the column of cars was doing 90 to 95 behind a caravan & a semi ... straight stretch of road, perfect vision, they're all girly-whusses, and after a few seconds me says "fsck this for a joke", and we're up to 170 by halfway down the column & me thinks I'd better not go any faster in case an eedjit decides to overtake after-all.

It's a strange combo of illegality & righteous indignation; it's illegal, but dammit, sitting on the wrong side of the road OR trying to squeeze in between cars are both more dangerous.

I imagine in a huffy-puffy taxi which someone's been carefully massaging for a few weeks, you'd be at more'n 170 when trying to stay on the wrong side of the road for as little time as possible ...

Following from What Forg said, I riposte to Tony's argument. If you were behind a Cruiser towing a boat at 110 kays, youwould be expected to stay there. You are not even allowed the 10% speedo error to use to go around him as you would be knowingly exceeding the speed limit.

I have always found it the best policy to look at my shoes and squirm when the cops are dressing me down for speeding. Contrition usually makes for the lowest possible ticket price out of the available options. And I have successfully pulled warnings instead of a fine on occasions when I had certainly been silly enough to deserve a fine.

cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by bugle View Post
    The non GTS's were gay

Forg...ummm yes it was over 170...& it didnt even warrant a downchange...just plant it in 5th at 90kph

Oh, & for the bloke in the Cayanne turbo who tried to keep me behind him by speeding up in the overtaking lanes...I didnt change down for you either...

They must reckon we have the patience of jobe to risk our cars being pepper with stones as we sit at 110 behind a tractor trailer doing 100!

T.
    Quote Originally Posted by boxxx

Deutsche Bahn Rail: Trains are a great way to get lots of people concentrated into a small area, like a camp.
    ACA/TT: Where's the line between a car enthusiast and hoon? There is none

They don't care about little things like stone chips, they care about your personal safety dammit!!

Opens
    Originally posted by edo
    Oh, & for the bloke in the Cayanne turbo who tried to keep me behind him by speeding up in the overtaking lanes...I didnt change down for you either...

this behavour really iritates me!

sitting behind someone doing 80 in a 100 zone, soon as the overtaking lane starts they shoot up to 100/110.

Ridiculous!

Sometime you need to speed to stay sane on long road trips.

Originally posted by dazsta
    this behavour really iritates me!
    It should irritate you - it's a crime!

But not one anyone should ever worry about getting prosecuted for. As long as it's under the limit, it's ok

T.

A volvo getting to 170km/h without being rolled off a cliff, whats going on? I know I've done well over the speed limit, overtaking on the wrong side of the road. Fark what the signs says, if I'm on the wrong side of the road, I floor it until I pass who I want to pass and get back to the right side. I drove on the NSW highways about 5 years back for about 2 months straight going from job to job in western NSW, and the amount of clowns I saw nearly getting cleaned up cause they didn't want to exceed the speed limit by more than 10 while on the wrong side of the road was just rediculous.

Oh and edo with your cayanne driver, I'm amazed at how many clowns pull that shit off. It shits me to no end. Drive at 10 under before the overtaking zones, then speed up to 10 to 15 over in the overtaking lanes so you can't get past them. Who the fark made them the rightous one on the highway.
    Nissan 200sx 97 S14a - Stolen
    Toyota Soarer 91 JZZ30 - 11.423@118.94mph 1.587 60ft
    Subaru Impreza WRX CS10 MY10 - Stock with roof racks

He gave up when he noticed that while he had floored his mega truck this black taxi still zipped up behind him at a fair old closing speed

You had no right doing that; you paid nowhere near as much as he did!

Originally posted by edo
    I seem to remember a case where the defendant successfully fought a speeding fine given to him while he was in the same situation. The reasoning behind the judgement was fairly logical i.e it's safer. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the case, however I vaguely remember it being mentioned in the Revelation, People, Milestones column of the Drive section of the SMH.

Forg, No, but I bet his gearbox isnt already whining like a sick dog because it has had more than twice the torque it was designed for put through it either...

His car is still better

His car may be better, but you only mentioned his truck; which is lame compared to my 3spd 1982 244GLE with the big dent in the passenger's front guard where I backed into a pole ...

You need to be nice to cops when they pull you over... they have the authority to selectively enforce the law.

Police are under a general duty to enforce the law all of the time, but they need not enforce every law all of the time. They have a discretion in individual cases. * R v Commissioner of Police Ex parte Blackburn [1968] 2 QB 118
    WWPBD

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneAsylum View Post
    first time i was in sydney, i asked the cabbie to tell a bit about the place. he said "this here oxford st, you see 2 man, they are poofter"
    Fuckwits Incorporated

Originally posted by Forg
    His car may be better, but you only mentioned his truck; which is lame compared to my 3spd 1982 244GLE with the big dent in the passenger's front guard where I backed into a pole ...
    how do you BACK into a pole with your FRONT gaurd?

(1) Sitting in a 240 is like sitting in one of those deep old clawfoot bathtubs like your grandma used to have (as opposed to sitting in the 240 your grandma used to have)
    (2) Park with passenger's door next to concrete pole that's shorter than your driver's side window
    (3) Only look behind car when reversing out of spot when leaving
    (4) Reef wheel violently so nose swings while you're reversing
    (5) "Kerrunch" ... at least you could see a chip taken out of the concrete pole, if I'd hit it with any of my Corollas or my Liberty I'd have made no mark at all (and, frankly, wept a lot more loudly ).

Opens
    I saw many a pole come off second best to a volvo 240. Damn road tanks.

There was an interesting article regarding speed devices and their like on the police forums a while ago, but they may have taken it down because it was Too Informative...

have a search there if you like...

http://www.upholdtheright.com/phpBB2/index.php

There's a guy in WA who has taken a similar case to court and won, however the current gymbyment is appealing.

I reckon just take a photo of the car into court and show the judge ! "For gawd shakes it's a diesel gemini ya honour, couldn't possibly do 103."

Or suck it sweet and use it as a selling point for the car. See it can do the speed limit !

I am nevah going back, NEVAH !