Thread: Transferring NSW rego to QLD

Transferring NSW rego to QLD

I'm about to buy a car with NSW rego (12 months in fact, seller paid it while I was there). However I only have a QLD drivers license and I live in QLD

From what I can tell:

1) I can't transfer the NSW rego to my name because I don't have a NSW license.
    2) I can't easily get a NSW license since I live in QLD.
    3) I don't think I can transfer NSW rego in someone else's name direct to QLD rego in my name.

I'm yet to talk to RTA or QLD Transport, but I know someone here will be able to give me the lowdown.

So how is it done?

Thanks guys.

2ofdem
    I beleive the easiest way would be to get a RWC in qld rego it and get the refund from NSW.

Yeah but then I can't easily drive it can I? I'd at least need to get a temporary rego permit. I was planning on driving it from Sydney to Brisbane over 2 days. Temporary rego is only for to and from queensland transport/RWC supplier etc I believe.

It has to be easier than that.

u have 14 days to transfer it,, so drive it home then hand the plates and rerego it to Qld, and get the refund from the nsw rego

Hey Christian, did you get yourself an M3?!?

I believe there is a form that you can obtain from Queensland Transport for registration of a car which is not currently registerd in QLD. Your best bet would be to visit the QLD Transport website - believe it or not, they were able to hepl me out by responding to an online inquiry within an hour last time I asked... Amazing work from a public servant!

Simon.
    2009 X5 SD

Simon, yes. 8/98, 65000kms, $56300 + I'll need to spend approx $2k initially.

Thanks, I tried calling but waited on hold for too long and gave up.

I tried finding an email address to contact on the QLD transport site but couldn't find anything. The RTA (who did have an easy to find email address) responded (also very quickly) and said I simply need to transfer it here in Queensland, so it appears my #3 option is the way to do it.

I'll have the rego certificate with the original owners signature approving the transfer, so I guess that should be enough.

Hopefully I won't have to go through the refund process, but I doubt my chances since things like comprehensive 3rd party etc will need to be transferred. I might also have to get a safety certificate I guess.

CH

You have to go thought a lot of S--T I just changed over my rego on a NSW car to QLD.
    You don't get a full refund like QLD does and you have to claim back rego and third party insurance separately.
    Also hand in plates at a QLD transport and get a receipt for the plates.
    Then post to RTA for a refund (after they take out office fees and cancellation fee) you get bugger all.
    Then ring however is the third party insurance and argue that you have the right to cancel third party (because you are not current rego owner and you don't live in NSW)
    I have the postage address somewhere at home where you need to apply for the RTA refund, see if I can find it for you.

Dave

Also then you need a RWC and all the paperwork (NSW paperwork) take it to QLD transport and pay for 12 months/6 months and a fee for new set of plates.
    Allso you have to pay stamp duty on the price of the car you payed for it.(proof of former owner on a transfere form they have filled out there details, price you payed for it, etc).
    $700+ later and it has QLD plates(for a four cyclinder)

Ugh. Oh well. It has to be done.

I guess if I had known that, I wouldn't have let him pay up the rego in NSW - it only had about 2 weeks left

Shonky got any relos in NSW
    Quote Originally Posted by ITS60S View Post
    Some say he's roger cordia without the disability pension and shaving cream, others say his bus windows are licked clean every day - all we know is he's called boothy.
    I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be

i have sexdaily, i mean dyslexia

Nah no relos. I had thought of something along those lines. The car has to get to QLD plates eventually though. After waiting on hold, talking to QLD transport, the RTA and also the RACQ, it seems this is what happens (basically what suzukiboy said):

1) Drive car back to Brisbane and do nothing in NSW
    2) Get safety certificate (RWC) in QLD
    3) Go to QLD transport and surrender plates (need signed NSW ceritificate from NSW I think)
    4) Register as per a normal unregistered car in QLD (~$700 for 6 cyl + stamp duty)
    5) Send surrender receipt, signed NSW rego certificate authorising the change, copy of QLD rego including VIN and engine numbers, photocopy of driver's license and other ID (credit card) to:

Manual Refunds Officer
    Driver Administration
    Locked Bag 14
    Grafton NSW 2460

He didn't say a cover letter was required for 5) but you'd be stupid not to include one and just send a stack of papers.

And then they should send what's left of the refund to me rather than to the original owner. I assume you'd need to do this reasonably quickly otherwise the refund would end up with the original owner.

All in all a nuisance but not impossible.

Stamp duty is paid on market value. Anyone know how do I work that out (for free)?

Christian,

Stamp duty, whilst they say it's "market value" is usually accepted to be the price you paid for it, so get a statutory declaration from your vendor stating the sale price and you should have no trouble.

Alternatively, I don't know how to get a free "official" valuation - I had to pay some moron $150 to do a valuation on my 540i for customs purposes earlier this year... I was able to have a chat to him and talk it down to a very reasonable figure though

Simon
    2009 X5 SD

About to go through this next week.

Anything changed from the above?

I just rock up, get old mate to sign NSW declaration of disposal and I sign too, then I drive it up on his plates with no risk to him, and hand his shit in along with a QLD safety cert and reregister/re-register all in one hit at qld trans?

Yep should be the same but adding a bit more detail:

0) Get insurance you want (comp, third party property etc).
    2.5) Get compulsory third party insurance before going to QT.
    3) Go to QLD transport and surrender plates (need signed NSW certificate from NSW owner)
    4) Register as per a normal unregistered car in QLD (only the rego portion since you've paid for CTP in 2.5 and pay stamp duty + transfer fee)
    5) Send surrender receipt, signed NSW rego certificate authorising the change, copy of QLD rego including VIN and engine numbers, photocopy of driver's license and other ID (credit card) etc as above.

So not exactly what was originally written or what you're saying now.
    Last edited by Shonky; 24-12-10 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shonky View Post
    Yep should be the same but adding a bit more detail:

0) Get insurance you want (comp, third party property etc).
    2.5) Get compulsory third party insurance before going to QT.
    3) Go to QLD transport and surrender plates (need signed NSW certificate from NSW owner)
    4) Register as per a normal unregistered car in QLD (only the rego portion since you've paid for CTP in 2.5 and pay stamp duty + transfer fee)
    5) Send surrender receipt, signed NSW rego certificate authorising the change, copy of QLD rego including VIN and engine numbers, photocopy of driver's license and other ID (credit card) etc as above.

So not exactly what was originally written or what you're saying now.

Almost right. As it is already registered you don't need to pre purchase your CTP (this is only needed when registering unregistered vehicles).

Not sure about the process to cancel the NSW rego and get the refund but a quick look on the RTA website or a ph call should confirm this.

T.

No. It has NSW rego. NSW CTP != QLD CTP.

You have to completely cancel the NSW rego and then re-register it in QLD.

If you read the whole thread you'll see how to claim back the NSW rego.

we give away free money!
    its a pain but just transfere the nsw rego. just use a nsw address and tell rta some shit like you are gonna move to nsw soon and you will get a nsw licence in a few weeks. that way you get to use up all the rest of the nsw rego in your name. if cops pull you over in qld and say why you still have nsw rego just give them a bs story how you gonna move to nsw within 3 months. when the nsw rego is about to expire get a qld roadworthy and hand plates in for qld plates and qld rego. if vehicle is a repairable write off on its history then they may make you do a QIS inspection in queensland which will cost you $450 if needed. you only have to pay stamp duty once which is 3% in nsw.

or...I do it normally and legally as I'm not a fuckwit, and paying stamp duty is not something that will force me to lose out on this weeks baggy and a new flat brim.

Boostcruising is elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by centrelink View Post
    its a pain but just transfere the nsw rego. just use a nsw address and tell rta some shit like you are gonna move to nsw soon and you will get a nsw licence in a few weeks. that way you get to use up all the rest of the nsw rego in your name. if cops pull you over in qld and say why you still have nsw rego just give them a bs story how you gonna move to nsw within 3 months. when the nsw rego is about to expire get a qld roadworthy and hand plates in for qld plates and qld rego. if vehicle is a repairable write off on its history then they may make you do a QIS inspection in queensland which will cost you $450 if needed. you only have to pay stamp duty once which is 3% in nsw.
    Fucking brilliance....

No. It has NSW rego. NSW CTP != QLD CTP.

You have to completely cancel the NSW rego and then re-register it in QLD.

If you read the whole thread you'll see how to claim back the NSW rego.

Your NSW CTP does not become invalid when you drive over the border, it becomes invalid when you cancel your NSW rego which you do after you have Qld rego. Step 2.5 is not needed as you just pay for your CTP at QT as part of your rego fees. You only need to pre purchase your CTP when driving a currently unregistered vehicle for the purpose of registering.

T.

Well not how I did it or how I was advised to do it by QT.

I rocked up to QT with pre paid QLD CTP (NSW rego still valid) and then cancelled NSW rego and got new QLD rego in one hit and drove home.

It's new QLD rego so I don't think you can just pay for it at QT. See From F3518 where you need to pre-pay - item 10:

http://www.support.transport.qld.gov...e/F3518_es.pdf

NSW registration counts as unregistered as far as QT is concerned I think.

Autoerotic Mummification TonyJZX's Avatar
    that's not true

used to have heaps of people who regged cars in Tweed Heads to avoid the anna bligh clusterfuck...

cops don't even harrass you in syd. for driving on qld plates
    Quote Originally Posted by boxxx

Deutsche Bahn Rail: Trains are a great way to get lots of people concentrated into a small area, like a camp.
    ACA/TT: Where's the line between a car enthusiast and hoon? There is none

I'd presume the value of 12 months rego far exceeds the fine for not transferring in 14 days?

Fuck throwing the money away for some fucking red tape, and pay the $80 fine when you feel like transferring it.

I've had no issues in the past transferring from QLD to ACT, NSW to ACT, or VIC to ACT.

Seems like only transferring to QLD is a pain in the arse clusterfuck that everyone is afraid of.

I've never got a refund though. QLD car was registered in QLD to an ACT address because QLD road authority are hillariously useless, worked out well for me, NSW car ran the rego through and copped a fee, VIC car was de-registered and driven up on a permit.
    Last edited by Sicarius123; 27-12-10 at 09:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    She most likely doesn't bathe, thinks basket-weaving should be in the Olympics and has a vagina that looks like Dumbledore's beard.

Well not how I did it or how I was advised to do it by QT.

I rocked up to QT with pre paid QLD CTP (NSW rego still valid) and then cancelled NSW rego and got new QLD rego in one hit and drove home.

It's new QLD rego so I don't think you can just pay for it at QT. See From F3518 where you need to pre-pay - item 10:

http://www.support.transport.qld.gov...e/F3518_es.pdf

NSW registration counts as unregistered as far as QT is concerned I think.
    And the first sentence of point 10 is "If the vehicle is unregistered, CTP insurance must be pre paid to the insurer before presenting the vehicle for registration."

At the end of the day it doesn't make a huge difference if you choose to pre purchase your CTP, just one less place you have to go if you pay it direct to QT (which I guarantee you can do ).

T