Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: How to test spark plug leads?

  1. #1
    Runs on Astron power! karl_2ltGC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Mildura
    Posts
    4,140

    How to test spark plug leads?

    OK, so you got a huge bunch of used plug leads, how do you test them to make sure there serviceable?
    Some sorta multimeter thing?
    Cheers Karl
    Mad Cunt

  2. #2
    Hungry Hungry Hippo Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    gong
    Posts
    12,243
    you need a magno
    Quote Originally Posted by ITS60S View Post
    Some say he's roger cordia without the disability pension and shaving cream, others say his bus windows are licked clean every day - all we know is he's called boothy.
    I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be

    i have sexdaily, i mean dyslexia

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Melb
    Posts
    7,640
    suck on one end and crank?
    I don't care a damn for your loyalty when you think I am right; when I really want it most is when you think I am wrong.
    Sir John Monash

  4. #4
    Registered User VHDREAMS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The shire
    Posts
    704
    You can check resistance with a multimeter, but its a bit hit and miss, Ive checked some out, they looked fine, chucked them in the car and could see them arcing outside that night.

    Tripper: Whats a magno?

    Cory
    EFI LH coming soon....

  5. #5
    Resident Oaf Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Where coal meets the sea
    Posts
    24,952
    ohm meter is the only way to test. there's a range you need to look for, something like 30 ohms per foot of lead or something. I can't remember the exact measurement but someone will know.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons


    Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

  6. #6
    Hungry Hungry Hippo Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    gong
    Posts
    12,243
    magno is special meter used to test high voltage stuff it puts a lot of volts thru what it tests
    Quote Originally Posted by ITS60S View Post
    Some say he's roger cordia without the disability pension and shaving cream, others say his bus windows are licked clean every day - all we know is he's called boothy.
    I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be

    i have sexdaily, i mean dyslexia

  7. #7
    Registered User AlexinPerth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    2,528
    If you want to to test them under load, modify an old spark plug and lead end so that you can put the additional plug in series with one installed in an engine.

    ie, coil pack -> lead under test -> old spark plug & lead end gadget -> spark plug in engine.

    This will test the lead under *more* load than it normally sees, certain to highlight any problems with the coil pack as well as the lead under test.

    Don't zap yourself or people you like, blah blah.

    Cheers,
    Alex.

  8. #8
    Resident Oaf Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Where coal meets the sea
    Posts
    24,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    magno is special meter used to test high voltage stuff it puts a lot of volts thru what it tests

    oh, an insulation tester such as a Megger? That'd work too, though if the insulation is breaking down you'll find the resistance will be well out of spec anyway.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons


    Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

  9. #9
    2JZ EL Fairmont tandy ass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Nero
    suck on one end and crank?
    ROFL
    Quote Originally Posted by paul05
    don't waste your time asking questions about real cars on the rice forum go to ls1 .com ,it's alot more accommodating and informative than pf.
    WTB in Melb - Ford AU 6 cyl engine - needs to be in good condition

  10. #10
    Surf's Up! bigmuz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Eastern Australia
    Posts
    8,415
    The water test is best- (Thanks Carroll Smith...)

    Find the nearest body of water.
    Throw leads and plug into said water.
    If it floats use it.

    Works for bolts that you are suss on too.


    Muz

    Seriously, if you have a suss lead, buy a new one- they are cheap as chips- certainly not worth the pain of tracking down an intermittetent problem for...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stix Zadinia
    2x Robbie Williams Tickets, Brisbane, Monday Night 22nd Sept, Row A Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty
    Won't be much of a show now that he's dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by agentcrm
    ROBBIE Williams the singer not ROBIN Williams the recently deceased Actor & comedian

  11. #11
    Half Shafted. Madhatr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    4,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Secoh
    ohm meter is the only way to test. there's a range you need to look for, something like 30 ohms per foot of lead or something. I can't remember the exact measurement but someone will know.
    8000 per m

  12. #12
    Resident Oaf Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Where coal meets the sea
    Posts
    24,952
    cheers
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons


    Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

  13. #13
    Dr Zoidberg - Homeowner THE ASH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Wulguru, Townsville, QLD, Aust, Earth, Sol, MW
    Posts
    697,146
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfuzz
    The water test is best- (Thanks Carroll Smith...)

    Find the nearest body of water.
    Throw leads and plug into said water.
    If it floats use it.

    Works for bolts that you are suss on too.


    Muz

    Seriously, if you have a suss lead, buy a new one- they are cheap as chips- certainly not worth the pain of tracking down an intermittetent problem for...
    amen!


    with certian twin cam engines your leads tend to only come in $80+ sets, so you get paranoid & wanna check them, but really it ain't worth it to buy a cheap generic $10 lead for testing
    Last edited by THE ASH; 20-06-05 at 06:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    at the last place there was a few ocassions where you'd go into the toilets (office environment mind you) and there'd be a length of brown cable in front of the shitter. A big chocolate slug looking up at you.
    XLII - 101010 - 2A

  14. #14
    That's my life hamish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    2,692
    I just looked it up in my old textbooks, one says 1500 - 2500 per 100mm, & the other says about 10 000 per foot...

    I'd agree with muz that the flotation test is the best one

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Zulund Bro
    Posts
    1,115
    Flotation test for sure, works with all sorts of things, fasteners, plug leads witches etc. leads are cheap as so why use dodgy ones. *Note* The floatation test does not apply to anything in a bush basher.

  16. #16
    Runs on Astron power! karl_2ltGC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Mildura
    Posts
    4,140
    WHy use dogy ones, cheap?
    Were talking about a 760 turbo volvo with funky rear mounted dizzy with the weird ass plugs on the rotor an funny long bits at the plug end...

    Anywho, for this ohmeter gear, what exactly do you do, i need a procedure here.
    Mad Cunt

  17. #17
    No I'm Not Shonky Shonky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,807
    I was going to say 24 kohms (24000 ohms) per metre.

    As mentioned though it won't tell you if the leads are breaking down under high voltages.

  18. #18
    Registered User VHDREAMS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The shire
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by karl_2ltGC
    Anywho, for this ohmeter gear, what exactly do you do, i need a procedure here.
    1. Drive to supercheap
    2. Purchase $10 multimeter
    3. Take off lead to be measured
    4. Set multimeter to ohms OR upside down horse shoe shape
    5. put one mutlimeter lead on one end of lead, put other lead on other end of lead and read resistance. (then wriggle the lead a little to see if the resistance changes)
    6. measure lead to see if your resistance falls within the acceptable ohms per metre limits.
    7. .....?
    8. Profit

    cheers

    Cory
    EFI LH coming soon....

  19. #19
    Surf's Up! bigmuz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Eastern Australia
    Posts
    8,415
    Quote Originally Posted by VHDREAMS
    6. measure lead to see if your resistance falls within the acceptable ohms per metre limits.
    7. realise that under no load the leads all read the same
    8. Buy new leads
    Muz
    Quote Originally Posted by Stix Zadinia
    2x Robbie Williams Tickets, Brisbane, Monday Night 22nd Sept, Row A Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty
    Won't be much of a show now that he's dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by agentcrm
    ROBBIE Williams the singer not ROBIN Williams the recently deceased Actor & comedian

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •