Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My MX83 1JZ-GTE Progress

loves the Cressy

My MX83 1JZ-GTE Progress

Hey all.

Well phase 2 of our project car has finally arrived, it has made the trip down to the Sunshine Coast. Now that it is there, it will have its wiring sorted, an exhaust made up, and FMIC fitted along with custom piping.

We are hoping that the beast will run for the first time tomorrow (Good Friday - VERY good Friday if that happens), must remember to take some petrol, tank was completely drained when we put the aftermarket fuel pump in.

A little history. Early March last year, we saw a 91 Cressida Grande advertised with a blown head gasket. We rang up and the car was at the Gold Coast, so we had a drive down there and agreed to pay the $3K asking price, and that we would return in a week's time to pick it up. We then towed a (HEAVY) car trailer from Gympie to the GC and back with our prize on board. TIP : aging Rodeo Turbodiesels don't love big weights and big hills.
    Having got it home, we then bought one of JZK25's 1JZ-GTE motor and gearbox combos, and brought it home. Over the following year we installed motor and box, and Chaser steering box, using a combination of Cressida and Chaser mounts and bits and pieces. We also used the front suspension from the Chaser cut as the bushes appeared to be in better condition than the Cressida parts. We had then reached the tailshaft and were surprised when the Cressida shaft seemed to drop straight in and fit perfectly. We were then disappointed to see that the unis were stuffed and non replaceable, so we ended up getting a new shaft made by Farrow's Shafting at Nambour. The new shaft was single piece, replacing the two piece original. Later in the year, we tackled the need for a better fuel pump, with JZK25's help. He sourced and test installed a better pump into the cradle from the tank. We then took this home and installed it into the tank with a little modification. We then had great fun reinstalling the tank and the towbar which straddles it. Having done that, we had a bit of a break until a couple of weeks ago, when Al (JZK25) let us know that the 1UZ Tonner that he was working on was almost finished and he was ready for the Cressy to appear in his shed. Given that spur, we got organised and had a replacement power steering hose made up in town, and installed it a couple of days ago.

Today, we loaded the beast up and repeated the torture of our Rodeo, by towing the car from Widgee to the Sunshine Coast, about 85km. We were almost there when the trailer blew a tyre on a two lane section of the Bruce Highway, making for a very interesting tyre change. All arrived safely, apart from the blown tyre which was shredded beyond belief.

Now we are in phase two, where Al gets to ply his greater knowledge of the intricacies of Toyota wiring, and his skills in making pieces of pipe go round bends under cars.

Thats it for now. Pictures (if ever) will come later.
    Cheers, Richard

MX83 Cressida Grande - 1JZ-GTE Twin Turbo JZX81 Motor, Fr Suspension in, tailshaft made & installed, bigger fuel pump in, zorst, wiring, fmic done (thanks jzk25) BA rotors R33 Calipers Now REGISTERED going well
    '92 & '94 TF Holden Rodeo 2.8 TurboDiesel 4WDs - Daily Driver regular breaker/backup ute
    MS85 Crown Super Sedan - Farm Car - Running 3rd 4M - Future project
    '66 Jaguar E-Type 4.2 Manual Coupe
    '66 Jaguar S-Type 3.8 Auto Sedan
    - Long Term Jobs

We need pics for verification purposes mate...
    The older i get, the better i was...

also so the smart arses can tell you where you've gone wrong!
    I don't care a damn for your loyalty when you think I am right; when I really want it most is when you think I am wrong.
    Sir John Monash

His primitive interweb technology wouldn't allow pic uploading so I guess I'll have to do it.
    Bugger all to see yet anyway except half the IC piping and a bunch of wires tucked up above the glove box.
    The wiring came together nicely and it runs well, even did a skid in the workshop sans turbos.
    Pics worth looking at tonight.
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Here's a couple of pics. Finished the IC piping today. Sorry 56k.

You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

In the 3rd pic, is that a VK in the backgorund with a IC?

Looks like a VK with and RB and a turbo. Hmm, you like VKs Ustasa???? You can buy mine mate
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

That's my VK project. It's a 2JZ with twin Legacy VF10's on steam pipe manifolds. Should be on the road in a decade or so.
    Haven't put any pics up before because there hasn't been anything to look at.

loves the Cressy
    Hey all,

I forgive those unbelievers as I am finding it hard to believe myself. Therefore I will resist the temptation to smite you with the spirit of the Cressy. Hmm, its clearly far too late for me to post as I am typing shite.

Oh well, good to see the changes since last night Al, even if downloading the pix took almost as long as driving the 80 kays to see you would have. Okay half as long. Seriously. Bloody rural connections, think I may have to try the old string with two tin cans, might be quicker.

Thats all for now, Al is starting on exhaust, but won't get too far til I source some mufflers etc. Big ups to AL though, I am really happy with what he has done for me.
    Cheers, Richard

MX83 Cressida Grande - 1JZ-GTE Twin Turbo JZX81 Motor, Fr Suspension in, tailshaft made & installed, bigger fuel pump in, zorst, wiring, fmic done (thanks jzk25) BA rotors R33 Calipers Now REGISTERED going well
    '92 & '94 TF Holden Rodeo 2.8 TurboDiesel 4WDs - Daily Driver regular breaker/backup ute
    - Long Term Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz
    Looks like a VK with and RB and a turbo. Hmm, you like VKs Ustasa???? You can buy mine mate
    $1200 and I'll take it off your hands.

p.s burn out vids are a treat (although who would buy your car after seeing that is beyond me lol)

$12000, no worries. SOLD

No use having a big motor if you don't use it.. It got bigger heads and a much better cam since then. Unfortunately I can't afford to burn another $500 (up here) pair of tyres so no more mental videos
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Now with more ebay parts. 2JZR31's Avatar
    Nice work guys Looks like its going to be yet another beast released from Al's giant backyard shed, the shed where beer and horsepower are mixed in perfect quantities to ensure tire shredding automotive success.

Haven't put any pics up before because there hasn't been anything to look at.
    BS, that thing looks awesome even at this stage! Hopefully the Cressida conversion goes well so you can finish her off one of these days
    10.83 @ 125

Quickest stock exhaust manifold stud 2JZ in Aus.

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Some conclusions empirically were that a large protruding ridge like a prolapsed arsehole around the runner was largely beneficial.

can i suggest some saop and steel wool onto those turbo pipes and intake manifold.

reminds me of when i did my conversion six years ago, bet your big kev excited. i know i was back then

shane
    1JZ747 Racing

8.37 et PB
    169 mph PB

loves the Cressy
    Okay, that's twice now I have typed a long winded reply and had the login screen pop up, so I am going to keep it short and sweet.

Prettying up will wait until car is on the road. I just want to drive it for now.

The big shed truly is a wonderment, long may it provide us with interesting conversions.

At the moment, we are waiting on exhaust components and cooling system parts, and we are moving the battery to the boot, hopefully have some big progress to report after Anzac Day.
    Cheers, Richard

- Long Term Jobs

loves the Cressy
    Al has done it again, we have had the car running this evening with a functioning exhaust. Sounds great, not overly loud but with a note that lets you know it means business. In short, I'M STOKED. But also knackered. Al was also looking knackered when we left, so might be a couple of days before he does the pix of exhaust thing. He is pretty good at figuring these things out, working out what to cut and where to make one shape into another, and to top it all off, it looks like we may have increased the ground clearance, or at least maintained it. This despite moving up from about 2" OE exhaust to 3" custom fabricated. It will be fairly important to us that we have good clearance, as we have bloody awful rural dirt roads to go with our bloody awful rural dialup internet service. God I love the country. Well I do actually, but those two niggles are the main spoilers of it for me. Enough whinging, cause I really am stoked with the result we have gotten today. So that is a big thumbs up for Al from me.
    Cheers, Richard

- Long Term Jobs

Great guys Have you driven it yet

If you hit the boost cut with the 3" exhaust like my borthers soarer did, shoot me a PM and will be able to help you out with a boost cut defender.
    10.83 @ 125

Some conclusions empirically were that a large protruding ridge like a prolapsed arsehole around the runner was largely beneficial.

loves the Cressy
    Hey again. I've not been ignoring you, I just haven't been able to get this clattering old pile of horse manure to pretend it is a computer for long enough to successfully post a reply. Haven't even managed to get into PF half the time... buggered if I know why??

Well, since the Anzac day marathon exhaust fabbing effort, we have done the battery into boot thing. This was on Labour Day. At the moment it looks like the DIN66 battery will be sitting naked in the boot, although we might end up putting it into the box I bought for it. It was a tight fit, but the reason we didn't put it in as yet is that the main lead is just long enough to reach and no more. We also did the wiring across the car from the alternator to the rest of the loom. We then put the IC back in place in front of the A/C condenser and made up a top mounting bracket for it. Actually Al made it up and I watched/held things in place. That was about it for Labour day and I'll leave it there for this post, as these things have a habit of disappearing on me... I'll write about the next installment in another post.
    Cheers, Richard

- Long Term Jobs

loves the Cressy
    Hey again.
    Well, in the week following Labour Day, we visited our friendly local engineering shop and handed him the following:
    1 Hydraulic fan style water pump - splined centre drive
    1 Ordinary fan style water pump - four stud on raised centre boss
    2 Pulleys to suit Hydraulic fan style water pump units

With instructions to get the pulleys to fit the standard style pump. We thought that he would have to gut the centre of the pulley and then make up a plate to mount onto the front face of the pulley to get the offset right. As it happened, when he machined out the centre of the pulley so that it would sit snug over the boss on the front of the water pump, and drilled four holes to allow it to go over the studs, it looked like the correct offset. We took the pulley down to Al's and tried it on the water pump. Once we fiddled around with it and with the minor IQ test of working out which way the serpentine drive belt went, we had it on and from any angle we are unable to fault the alignment of the pulley. We have had it running briefly and it seems fine. I should note that I am the sort of bloke that notices anything that looks out of place, usually well before anyone else does. SO, I'm pretty happy with how that went. While we were there, AL and I made an extra exhaust mount onto the rhs chassis rail just befor the cat, to keep the alignment where we wanted it. It had shown a tendency to twist before we did that.

Still to come is mounting twin thermos on the radiator (draw through) and getting some coolant in the engine so I can hear it run for more than a minute at a time. And maybe even drive it. Also securing the battery in the boot and running a vent pipe from the battery.
    Cheers, Richard

- Long Term Jobs

loves the Cressy
    There, had the problem again of typing War and Peace then submitting it and having the message come up about not being logged in. This time I took the precaution of hitting the back arrow, highlighting the text of my message and hitting Ctrl+C to copy it onto the clipboard, so that I could paste it into a new reply if necessary, although when I went forward again to the login screen, I used the login and password fields at the bottom of the screen instead of the ones at the top, and this time my message was posted. You bloody reeeka.

Anyway, slightly off the main topic, but on Labour day, the owner of the HJ with the 1UZ came over in it and We had a test drive of it. Al and the owner stayed at the shed. Well I opened the taps after getting round the first corner, and WHAT AN AWESOME NOTE!!!! Yes yes I know I am shouting. The Al special exhaust sure did the job of giving it a note to remember. We got back and the guys were a little gobsmacked. Particularly the owner as I don't think he'd really punched the accelerator that hard yet, and I am fairly sure he hadn't been outside the car when anyone else was doing it. That's enough of that, I better think about posting this in the thread Al put up for the car in question.
    Cheers, Richard

- Long Term Jobs

loves the Cressy
    Hey Guys.

Further progress on the beast.

Decided that I would rather spend my birthday working on the car rather than selling hardware, so I took last Saturday off, and we went down to Al's for the day.

Since the last day on the car, Al had sourced some Subaru thermofans and cut them down to mount on the radiator. He had also tested the controller in the top radiator hose for switching on and off at temperature, by probing with the test light. He also discovered a leak behind the water pump, where a gasket had slipped down during installation. He seemed in reasonably good humour about that in spite of having taken quite a bit of hardware off to access the problem.

We had sourced some hydraulic hose and some bundy tube and some auto tranny hose and also brought down the Chaser power steer reservoir.

Al started the day by properly wiring in the fans to the controller switch, then turned to sorting out the power steer plumbing. We changed from the Cressida reservoir in its original location to the Chaser one (basically the same but on a different mount) mounted in the former battery location. The return pipe was partly auto tranny hose, but also used 1.5 metres of 3/8 bundy tube, which ended up running across the top of the intercooler as a bit of a cooler for the power steering fluid. Al then mounted the auto tranny cooler to the passenger side of the intercooler. The body saw was then wielded, and the bits of the bumper that were inconsistent with having an intercooler and pipes there were removed. With the bumper on, Al took her for a short blast up the street and back, then we threw the bonnet on.

I then got a REALLY good birthday pressie, when I had a go. I don't think 150 metres each way has ever felt so good.

That is most of the major jobs done. I got hold of some 5mm clear nylon food grade tubing which fits in the battery vent. I still need to run that out of the boot to atmosphere. We also need to anchor the battery, with or without the box. Other than that, we are about ready to get a permit and take it to be checked over for its mod plate. Then whoosh.

I've been pretty stoked since Saturday, and didn't even mind that much when the old Rodeo quietly died about 8km from work this morning. Just stopped running, we think it has killed the injector pump. That's another story though. And a job for the next few days.

Will crap on more when the next exciting thing happens.
    Cheers, Richard

- Long Term Jobs

Good work. Nice to hear its comming along well.
    10.83 @ 125

Nice work mate, have you posted it up at toyotacressida.net? Tons of 1JZ cressies there. I love mine

loves the Cressy

Exhaust Pic - Warning nearly 1meg

Hey guys,

just got around to stiching together some pics of the mighty 'Al's exhaust shop' (a division of Al Enterprises and member of beer lovers society of Australia) system as made up on the Cressy. I knocked the photo together out of 3 that I took lying on my back under the car on the hoist. The back section of the system had not been done at this stage and we later added an extra mount just behind the cat on the drivers side. This was to prevent the whole system from twisting around... and putting the muffler that much closer to ol' mother earth.

This is a toe in the water exercise on uploading pix. If it takes too long, you'll all just have to rely on my descriptions.
    Cheers, Richard

- Long Term Jobs

loves the Cressy
    Okay, picture upload was a success. Took about 10 minutes and I don't dare try looking at it as I am almost out the door, but at least I know I can put some more on there. I think a bit of judicious cropping of these images and resizing them may allow for a less memory intensive photo. Will have a play, when and if I get time and inclination to do so.

No I haven't posted on toyotacressida.net .. atm I am not a member there.
    I am a member of the toymods forum and I haven't done anything there either. Just getting the old banger computer to post on here has caused enough drama. I am really hanging out for a new 'puter, but will have to recover from the Cressy, getting pump and injectors done on the older ute, and doing some kitchen renovations, before I can afford a better computer. This one is all of 8 or 9 years old and was given to me at 4 years old because it was too slow then!! Anyway, I really want to work on cars and drive them, talking about it on the net is an optional extra. Selling hardware is an enjoyable way of funding both, just takes a while to get there.

Some feedback on the photo would be handy, thanks guys.
    Cheers, Richard

- Long Term Jobs

I could do better.

The photo is great. The angles are not 100% but its good enough to see what is going on. That exhaust looks familiar The hose clamps on the heat wrap are a nice touch. My heat wrap is held on my MIG wire Nice job guys
    10.83 @ 125

loves the Cressy
    Quote Originally Posted by JZK25
    I could do better.

And I look forward to seeing it when you do. Whose project will that be??

Or are you talking about the photo?

Whatever. Photo looked alright, thats the main thing.
    Cheers, Richard

- Long Term Jobs

loves the Cressy
    Just been playing around with Irfanview, and have got a couple of versions of the same photo. As a bit of an experiment I am going to put both versions in. One is the original as taken by the camera, the other has been rotated slightly and then cropped, and looks to be about one seventh the file size, which might be handy for those of us with slow connections. The small modified file is first.

This is Al making up the last section of the exhaust. This was taken just after the three photos which I stitched together for the monster sized photo in the earlier post. From memory, I think Al was about to swear at his welder as it gets a bit grumpy when it warms up too much. I only had the one day off so we were pushing a bit to finish the job.
    Cheers, Richard

- Long Term Jobs

Nice shots of my hair loss.
    You should put a thought bubble in that says "farking MIG, no wonder my hair is falling out!!!!11"

I meant the exhaust too btw.

P.S. Gheyest resonator evah.