Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2JZ VK build.

2JZ VK build.

This is my project car. It's a VK Berlina that was resprayed SV5000 green about 7 years ago. It has a 9 inch with 3.5LSD centre. It had a 308 in it before I got it and the previous owner had an RB20 bolted in for a short time also. I bought it to fit a 1JZ to it which I did about 3 years ago but never got it running. The 1JZ is now in my bro's cressida and the VK now has a 2JZ aristo engine with R154 5 speed. The engine will run a wolf ecu.
    I have made steam pipe manifolds to mount a pair of Subaru Legacy VF10 turbos(same size as a WRX TDO4). It has a 600 x 300 x 100 ebay intercooler with stainless piping. The exhaust is in progress atm but will be twin 2.5" to the rear muffler where it will merge into a 3.5" muffler, all stainless with twin 3" cats and two resonators pre diff.

I recently ditched the power steering in favour of a kirby variable rack from a VL to give some room for the dump pipes.

There's a heap more to do to get it going but I am aiming to get it going for powercruise in september. Everyone needs a goal.

Last edited by JZK25; 13-06-06 at 04:21 PM.
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

nice effort mate... good turbo choice
    and good luck getting it up for powercruise.
    i like the colour aswell
    Quote Originally Posted by doods189
    Will throw in around $3000 worth of reptiles and acc as part payment and maybe if partner let's me a 50in plasma 3d tv

That looks sweet - I like the idea of the one up - one down turbo's never really seen that done before...

Good luck with getting it finished

Unreal.

Wonder if it might be the most powerful VK on PF- it's a hard challenge bud
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Now with more ebay parts. 2JZR31's Avatar
    Those photos don't do Als fabrication skills much justice. The pipe work is amazing to look at in the flesh. I can't wait to see how the VF10's perform. This is going to be a fun car to drive

I hope you got over you gut virus and got some more work done. One of your 2.5" dumps takes the same path as mine under the sump. And mine is also a PITA to remove. Its like a jigsaw puzzle where each piece needs to go on in the right sequence and angle or it wont bolt up.
    Last edited by 2JZR31; 14-06-06 at 01:51 AM.
    10.83 @ 125

Quickest stock exhaust manifold stud 2JZ in Aus.

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Some conclusions empirically were that a large protruding ridge like a prolapsed arsehole around the runner was largely beneficial.

oww thats hot.
    more pics
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobster View Post
    Freeze a gearbox and slide it under his front door

Thats unreal mate, good work!
    Quote Originally Posted by Einstein
    The definition of insanity is repeating the same action and expecting a different result

I have wood. Awesome project!
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Thanks people, glad you like it. I will post up some more pics as it progresses.
    Would've had the engine back out to prepare it on monday but woke up spewing from a stupid 24hr virus, not happy.

Have to get a clutch for it yet, and a tailshaft and...etc etc.

I went for the one up, one down mounting of the turbos because it made more sense to do it that way.
    It gives a cleaner exhaust exit while maintaining a straight intake and the manifolds are very similiar, one is just flipped upwards.
    Having them mounted in a GTR type layout really doesn't seem to be practical to me. The dump pipes always have a very tight bend at the exit and the front dump runs very close the rear inlet/comp. The only advantage I can see is aesthetics, it does look better.

I am trying to keep the exhaust lengths the same so the front turbo runs up the drivers side and the rear goes down under the rear of the engine and across to the passenger side. It's hard to keep good exhaust clearance on old cars like the VK because they didn't actually build any exhaust path into the floor pan, it all just hangs out underneath. No allowance for cat converters in the floorpan either obviously.
    The real challenge with the exhaust is trying to make the ricey rear muffler(all I could find in 3.5") look more boganish.

You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Quote Originally Posted by JZK25
    The real challenge with the exhaust is trying to make the ricey rear muffler(all I could find in 3.5") look more boganish.
    Matt Black acryclic FTW
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Quote Originally Posted by nikki webster
    Matt Black acryclic FTW
    Social media marketing for the automotive industry (plus a motorsport blog) - www.boxthislap.com.au

Thats what I said, but the whole exhaust is going to be shiny polished stainless. Can you mount it further under the car and run a 3.5" out to the back, so the rice cannon doesn't stick out?
    10.83 @ 125

Some conclusions empirically were that a large protruding ridge like a prolapsed arsehole around the runner was largely beneficial.

Yeah it won't be sticking out that's for sure. It won't be matt black either.
    Thought I might just make a slight droopy tip for the rice cannon. That's what the former owner used to pass the majority of the raw fuel from the holley to the atmosphere. Looked ok.
    Stupid rice mufflers, you can't even get them with the same size inlet and outlet.

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    There has to be a decient muffler you can buy, that isn't a civic/s13 part.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Not a barrell shaped one in 3.5" that cost $150 there isn't.
    I will derice it properly, don't worry.

I will derice it properly, don't worry.
    lol
    10.83 @ 125

Had a little tinker this morning tacking up the intakes before we pull the engine tomorrow. Pics.

More pics tomorrow night.

Looks awesome. Must have taken ages to do all that pipework.
    10.83 @ 125

I haven't really taken much notice of the time. Prolly about 2 hours per pipe.

Anyway, pulled the engine back out today and stripped it down. Removed the acres of shit that is found under toyota inlet manifolds and my mate took the manifold halves to blast and tidy up. Had to modify the coolant pipe that goes around the engine just below the head as it was in the way of important stuff like dump pipes. It is stainless originally so it was easy to cut and modify and reweld with the tig.
    Also remounted the alternator on the LH side of the engine as there is no PS or A/C anymore. It now uses a simple slide tensoin arrangement instead of the auto tensioner. Pics.

The inlet manifold has surprisingly large runners and appears to be well designed. The exhaust seems really small considering the power the engines can make. It is a bit of a mystery to me why the 2J's can make such big power std because there is really nothing special about it;s design, it is just so damn simple. Good engineering methinks.

Cool. Are you taking it out to detail the engine bay and engine?

What size are your wastegate pipes? Have you got a pic of the inside part of the dump? (side that faces toward the turbine) Gary wants to know becuase we are about to start on the dumps for the VF10 powered 1JZ. We have the turbos mounted now. I will make a thread on it when I get some pics.
    Last edited by 2JZR31; 20-06-06 at 04:12 PM.
    10.83 @ 125

Yes I am going to detail the engine a little bit, paint the valve covers the car colour and paint the coil cover and inlet manifold the silver bumper colour. Also replacing T belt, seals etc. Getting injectors serviced and HPCing the exhaust manifolds too. The engine bay is 2pac body colour so just needs 4 years of cockroach shit cleaned off it.

The wastegate pipes are 38mm. There is a divider tongue inside the exhaust housing, otherwise it is just a 63mm hole and a 38mm hole. Picsofvf10dsoarernowpls.

loves the Cressy
    Hey all, got my mate to take this photo of Al and I with our project cars last Friday when we were there. Both are the same photo, one has been shrunk to take up less memory. Don't bother with the small one if you have fast internet.

In an earlier post, Al was complaining about the gut bug. I had to wait until Sunday for my turn. Soldiered on at work all day getting greener/whiter by the hour then went home at 4pm and spent the night shuffling from bed to dunny and back. Gave work a miss yesterday. Seems like 24hours is about right.

Would like a good working description of de ricing. There's probably a textbook in the subject. Should be compulsary reading at TAFE.
    Cheers, Richard

MX83 Cressida Grande - 1JZ-GTE Twin Turbo JZX81 Motor, Fr Suspension in, tailshaft made & installed, bigger fuel pump in, zorst, wiring, fmic done (thanks jzk25) BA rotors R33 Calipers Now REGISTERED going well
    '92 & '94 TF Holden Rodeo 2.8 TurboDiesel 4WDs - Daily Driver regular breaker/backup ute
    MS85 Crown Super Sedan - Farm Car - Running 3rd 4M - Future project
    '66 Jaguar E-Type 4.2 Manual Coupe
    '66 Jaguar S-Type 3.8 Auto Sedan
    - Long Term Jobs

Cheers Al, we are pretty sure what you mean with the dumps. The annoying thing is I took pics of the turbos but then I couldn't find the USB lead.
    10.83 @ 125

I'm the fatter, balder, better looking one.

Update. Pulled the cam covers off to get them painted and it was not a pretty sight underneath. This engine must still have the original oil in it from the assembly line, not pretty. The engine is full of vegemite and has low compression readings(I already knew about this about a year ago) so it isn't a big surprise. The engine is stripped and I plan to replace the bearings and gaskets, give it a light hone and surgically clean it. Here's a few pics AFTER it has been soaked in degreaser for a few days. I couldn't even see the bolt heads for the cams because of the sludge buildup.

Look closely at the buildup in the rings.

Here's a shot of the manifolds.

There was so much shit buildup I don't think the engine would have even started so it is prolly a good thing I decided to pull it down.

Shit, thats what it looks like AFTER it has been in degreaser Its a good thing you ended up taking the cam covers off and noticed the sludge. It doesn't sound like its going to be too expensive.. Just a bit time consuming, but at least you will have a fresh engine to punish later.
    10.83 @ 125

Gives me something to do at work I suppose. I didn't get a shot of the cams before I pulled it apart but think inch thick icing on a chocolate cake and you are on the money. All the more reason to buy a front cut I guess.

First time Ive looked through your project, some very nice work going on there mate!

Noticed youve got alot of stuff up for sale, youre not giving up on the job are you?? Or did you just buy 2 of everything?!?!
    #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

That's not me, it 2JVL.

I honed the bore tonight and it doesn't look good, there is deep etch marks where the rings have sat for long periods so it'll either need boring or throwing in the bin. Anyone know how far you can bore a 2J, they have siamesed cylinders and ther doesn't appear to be much scope for overboring.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_2jza70
    Noticed youve got alot of stuff up for sale, youre not giving up on the job are you?? Or did you just buy 2 of everything?!?!

lol, wanna buy anything? :P