Page 23 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE

That's an impressive effort! But no, my rods are quite boring and straight in that regard.

ARP rod bolts are a good idea, I was pricing them last week and they seem like a no-brainer.
    Norbie!

Above pic happened at 850hp with 40 psi boost. Similar thing happened to RZ's black supra , I think Sherwood took a couple of pics and posted it in Pete's thread.

I've asked someone about a connecting rod too, wont hear back until tuesday though.
    Last edited by [RX3]; 16-02-18 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by [RX3] View Post
    Above pic happened at 850hp with 40 psi boost. Similar thing happened to RZ's black supra , I think Sherwood took a couple of pics and posted it in Pete's thread.

I've asked someone about a connecting rod too, wont hear back until tuesday though.
    I think Scott was running forged rods when he found the limit of the main caps?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    I think Scott was running forged rods when he found the limit of the main caps?
    Different car. The Supra bent factory N/A rods.

By the time you machine, resize and buy ARP bolts for the factory rods, surely you may as well just buy the Spools that come with the ARP bolts?
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie View Post
    Thanks all. Dry sump is definitely off the table, talk about over-capitalising! Some sort of baffling is certainly worth looking into though.

I've put up a WTB thread just in case someone happens to have a 2JZ rod lying around, we'll see where that goes:
    http://www.performanceforums.com/for...od&p=842949448

Tim is correct, it's a testament to the strength of the 2JZ engine that it survived my "enthusiasm" for so many years. Forged rods and pistons sounds like a great idea in principle, but I do wonder if it's overkill when I'm unlikely to go beyond 500hp. Plenty of people go well past that with stock bottom ends don't they?

What's this talk of GTX3076/3576? Is that like an updated version of my GT35R? Haven't been paying attention to turbos for a number of years so I'm out of the loop. I'm not looking to increase peak power output BTW, what I had before things went bang was too much just enough to be honest.
    GTX3576 is the smaller updated brother to your GT35R (effectively a GT3582R) so a smaller but more efficient compressor wheel which will shit in 600hp but be way more responsive and slot straight into your current exhaust housing. the GTX3076r is the same compressor wheel but smaller turbine wheel, somewhat slightly mismatched IMO though as the compressor will outflow the turbine. the direct update/update to your turbo is the GTX3582R. which in gen2 guise, garrett rates to flow 850hp.

The upside to updating turbo, is that not only are the compressor wheels aerodynamics vastly improved but so are the bearing cage designs. ie- not made out of plastic anymore nor prone to failure.
    Last edited by mk3soup; 16-02-18 at 02:34 PM. Reason: added italics

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    By the time you machine, resize and buy ARP bolts for the factory rods, surely you may as well just buy the Spools that come with the ARP bolts?
    Depending on what machining etc costs (I have NFI) you might be right. Can I use the Spool rods with factory pistons?
    Norbie!

Quote Originally Posted by mk3soup View Post
    GTX3576 is the smaller updated brother to your GT35R (effectively a GT3582R) so a smaller but more efficient compressor wheel which will shit in 600hp but be way more responsive and slot straight into your current exhaust housing. the GTX3076r is the same compressor wheel but smaller turbine wheel, somewhat slightly mismatched IMO though as the compressor will outflow the turbine. the direct update/update to your turbo is the GTX3582R. which in gen2 guise, garrett rates to flow 850hp.

The upside to updating turbo, is that not only are the compressor wheels aerodynamics vastly improved but so are the bearing cage designs. ie- not made out of plastic anymore nor prone to failure.
    Thanks for the info. So if I'm reading this correctly, I can upgrade to a newer and slightly smaller turbo which will make slightly more power and be more responsive, or a newer turbo of the same size which has the potential to make enough power to kill me instantly. Yeah?

Option A is actually somewhat attractive, better response is always appreciated. Option B, not so much.
    Norbie!

FWIW, there have been a few cheap 2JZ-GE motors in NSW recently

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4651...84495568336089

one for $350 in Central Coast NSW

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Looks reasonable, wonder how much clearance there is between the baffles and the lower sump - doesn't look to have any trap doors, so is relying on flow around the baffles to let oil back to the pickup.
    Not much clearance. Oil will be able to get through there still, but I trimmed some of the baffles back slightly due to them being 'too neat' to be able to tighten it down without cringing I was putting too much load on the bolts.

I think I may still have some STD 2jz rods from when I decided a couple of degrees more timing would be a good thing and the pistons ended up dripping down the rods on #5 & #6.

Depending on what machining etc costs (I have NFI) you might be right. Can I use the Spool rods with factory pistons?
    Provided they use the same wrist pins I can't see why not?

I know it's a (very) different motor, but my next atmo Fiat motor will be using (decent) China rods (probably from the same factory as Spool) with ARP 2000 bolts and a cast high comp piston. By the time you resize the factory rods there's fuck all in it, factory ones are 120g more weight per rod and unable to accommodate an ARP 2000 bolt without losing more of their 300,000km strength, or lack thereof.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Thanks for the info. So if I'm reading this correctly, I can upgrade to a newer and slightly smaller turbo which will make slightly more power and be more responsive, or a newer turbo of the same size which has the potential to make enough power to kill me instantly. Yeah?

Option A is actually somewhat attractive, better response is always appreciated. Option B, not so much.
    That is correct. And being as they are both GT(X)35 variants you will only need to buy the supercore as they will work with your current rear housing regardless of which one you choose. I too am currently going through the same decision process, however I leaning towards option B.

Quote Originally Posted by mk3soup View Post
    That is correct. And being as they are both GT(X)35 variants you will only need to buy the supercore as they will work with your current rear housing regardless of which one you choose. I too am currently going through the same decision process, however I leaning towards option B.
    Yeah his car is probably 300kg lighter than yours though. Its already a bit ridiculous
    #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

+1 on the GTX turbos. theyre fkn tops
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo View Post
    The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Norbie I've just thrown a GTX3576R +6boost on my 2JZ in JZA80. It seems more responsive than stock thus far. Compressor map looks like 22psi is the sweet spot - will run on about 17psi on factory management when I get the car back
    '84 Supra 7MGTE
    '86 Supra 2JZGE track
    '99 Supra GTX35 VVTi
    '10 C63 AMG

PSN: RyleyMA61

Very interesting, thanks for the info!
    Norbie!

Quote Originally Posted by my limp penis View Post
    Norbie I've just thrown a GTX3576R +6boost on my 2JZ in JZA80. It seems more responsive than stock thus far. Compressor map looks like 22psi is the sweet spot - will run on about 17psi on factory management when I get the car back
    What rear housing?
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

Quote Originally Posted by dnegative View Post
    What rear housing?
    Tial 0.82 A/R

Hopefully not too small up top
    '84 Supra 7MGTE
    '86 Supra 2JZGE track
    '99 Supra GTX35 VVTi
    '10 C63 AMG

PSN: RyleyMA61

Thinking about putting one in my 1.06 housing. Looking for a bit more down low - I've got a T04z

So thanks to dnegative I now have a new set of Eagle H-beam conrods ready to go:

But I'm not done yet, looks like I'll need a new set of pistons as well. I was sort of on the fence about this, but after spotting this damage the decision has been made:

There's similar damage on every piston in the same place. Any guesses what caused it? Detonation?

Now I need to weigh up whether I replace them with new OEM pistons (approx $400 via amayama or megazip) or about 3x that for aftermarket forged pistons. The originals held up pretty well all things considered, I wonder if the forgies are really worth paying that much extra?
    Norbie!

And down the rabbit hole you go too.

See ya Norbie!
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Lol. You will need some titan end caps too.

There is sometimes guys selling forgies 2nd hand new because they run out of money or cant be fucked. Have a sniff around. But since the pistons are fucked, you may as well get forgies and they will give you a wider knife edge..

Making power out of a 2jz is easy they said, slap a turbo on the side and up the boost they said..

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Looks to have run lean...so hot melty alloy and throw some det in too.....forgies won't save you from that fuelling issue
    Last edited by Justengt4; 25-02-18 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity
    GT8
    1UZ Celica
    1.07 flat Wakefield Park

Within reason you can't go wrong with another set of stock pistons. They will make & hold much more than you have, still on 98.

With PITS reputation I can't see the issue being from his tune BUT it looks like fresh damage rather than something from FCD days, so I'm thinking you may have had some type of system-wide issue like a voltage drop, fuel system problem, sensor issue, or bad batch of fuel. Seems really unlikely with your particular tuner that the tune was the issue, although I'd obviously have him review it. I'd maybe even go so far as to send him a pic of the piston(s), let him know it spun a bearing(s) too, and ask his thoughts.

Will 100% agree with Shifty (this time cunt don't get carried away) The chances Matty's tune caused it is slim imo, there is a reason he is expensive and booked out for months, as said, check fuel filters, pumps etc before running it on the new motor.

Haha I have that in writing.
    Quote Originally Posted by 350stato View Post
    100% agree with Shifty

There is only so much a e6k is capable of controlling

Quote Originally Posted by doctor ed View Post
    And down the rabbit hole you go too.
    This rabbit hole is getting mighty expensive. Probably nowhere near as bad as yours though (yet).

Yeah I agree the tune is unlikely to be the issue here, there are all sorts of reasons it could have started running lean. My overly complicated fuel system with 3x fuel pumps would be a good place to start looking.
    Norbie!

go wash those rods gently with scotchbrite or chux and wd40 now youve handled them before you get fingerprint shaped rust everywhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

This rabbit hole is getting mighty expensive. Probably nowhere near as bad as yours though (yet).

Yeah I agree the tune is unlikely to be the issue here, there are all sorts of reasons it could have started running lean. My overly complicated fuel system with 3x fuel pumps would be a good place to start looking.
    yeah fuck that. piss it all off with a single walbro 460, job done
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo View Post
    The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Forged pistons melt at the same temperature that the stock ones do

Stockies with a hone and ring job if the bore is ok is the go.