Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Mazooda Buildup.

Needs a new front cut stitched on.

Because I had done a bit of strengthening between the rails to stop flex, with the side ways hit, it bent them both to the left.
    Impact was right on the end of the rails, so not much panel damage.

Will post pictures shortly of the strip down.

You can see in the first pick, that it just clipped the end of the bumper, but the speed was enough to spin the car around and do a lot of folding.

Last edited by smee; 03-08-11 at 10:32 PM.
    Sturgeon's Revelation (sometimes referred to as his second law): Ninety percent of everything is CRAP

Ouch, but it doesnt look too bad. Just look at Andys photo and remind yourself of what it could have been.

Oh yeah, who did your flocked dash? Thinking about getting the dash in the race car flocked.
    Chris
    ------
    I cant get no sleep...
    AE86 race car thread is finally up to date | Supposedly i have a new daily project too
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

I did the dash.
    Went down to spotlight, bought some felt and a hot glue gun and got to work.

Of course you need to have the dash out of the car to make it easier.
    Sturgeon's Revelation (sometimes referred to as his second law): Ninety percent of everything is CRAP

Oh is it just a felt retrim. I thought you had it electrostaically flocked.
    Chris
    ------
    I cant get no sleep...
    AE86 race car thread is finally up to date | Supposedly i have a new daily project too
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

ouch.. still got that gtr bar here

also thats an oil cooler next to the front mount?

ive got one here in the spares i got, are they hard to mount up? been reading its best to hook em to the box to keep the oil temps low..

what pumps would be needed?
    Last edited by fcukthedj; 05-08-11 at 04:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rolin7
    this forums is going downhill at an awesome rate

fuck i love this place
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    Dayummm....is that miz_03b girl........ fugly....... ive rooted guys with better bod's !!!!!!!!!!!!

Box cooler is behind theintercooler.
    You need to drill the gearbox so fluid flows into the transfercase.
    Remove the transfer cas plug with a hose connection.
    Tap a hole in the gearbox casin, or you can use the oil fill hole, and add a hose connection.
    Put pump (holley red for me) and pump away. Set it to run when it hits a certain temperature, or run it via a remote switch.

Quote Originally Posted by smee View Post
    Box cooler is behind theintercooler.
    You need to drill the gearbox so fluid flows into the transfercase.
    Remove the transfer cas plug with a hose connection.
    Tap a hole in the gearbox casin, or you can use the oil fill hole, and add a hose connection.
    Put pump (holley red for me) and pump away. Set it to run when it hits a certain temperature, or run it via a remote switch.

Love how you did this gearbox cooler. What size line did you use and what make and size is the cooler?
    Last edited by Stefan52; 13-08-11 at 11:09 PM. Reason: wrong spelling

Line is dash 6.
    It is the old rubber lined fuel hose I had kicking around.
    Cooler is an Earls mini cooler. I think it is the smallest one they make.
    First picture is return for cooler line.
    Second is drain line.

Last edited by smee; 16-08-11 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks for the info. This set up should work well
    on the Corolla.

Stefan

Ok, after my 120kph spin and tree lopping effort at Rally SA, the front of the familia is a little worse for wear.

It has bent and folded the rail on the drivers side upward, and pushed out and down the rail on the passengers side. Having strengthened the lower part of the radiator support panel, and also having the sump guard brace run between the rails, has lessened the bending, but forced it to other areas.

It has a few folds along the top rail brace, and some cracking and folding in areas under both guards, and towards the base of the windscreen.

Everything else looks fine after removing the engine and most of the ancilleries. All parts past the A pillar are square, and all doors open and shut without problems. The cage has held well, and all folding is in front of the forward cage arms.

Seems a litle too far gone to get it straightened on an aligner, so I have bought a cheap front cut. Cam with all the suspension bits and pieces, which I can keep with spares

Question is, what do I need to unstitch, remove etc on the rally car as it has a bit of seam welding in and around the engine bay.
    I was advised to get it on an aligner first and check for square and stretch it a bit before taking off the old front end and replacing it with the new.

Is it best I remove a lot of the interior bits and pieces so that when welded, nothing catches on fire. I know to remove the dash, I have to remove the windscreen, but I need a new one anyway.

The accident, also ripped the bottom off the radiator, and I drove out of the stage without knowing. This cooked the engine and warped the head. It still turns over, but has no compression so made the incident a little more expensive.

I am thinking this is the end of my season, so will take the time to rebuild and come back better next year.

Any assistance appreciated.

Some photo's, but I will add more as I get into it.

I have also posted this in the General area.

OK, picked up a GTR Front cut fro Jaustech (thanks Pete) and some sundry items.

Will now get down to stripping and setting it up for transfer and the repaint.

OK,
    Long time coming but pictures of rebuilt motor.

Inlet,

Brakes,

Car is back on the road and has completed its first event.

Quickly found the limits of the new straight cut box. 160-170kph before it hits 7500 rev limiter. Gets there pretty quick though.

Decided to run on some new AD08 yokohama's as I was not confident of the 050 semis in the damp and sometimes wet conditions. They let go twice on the last 2 stages as the temp had gone out of the road even though it was dry. Other than that, they would make a great road tyre. Gave good progressive feed back on the limit I found.

pic from the day on SS3. We just did not have the speed of the other cars around us.

We finished 9th outright for the day from 25 starters.

I'll pop up a video later.

Maybe upgrade the wheel size a couple of sizes to get some top end out of it. 170 on tars sounds a bit slow?
    Looking for 86 GSXR bits. PM me

It had been a wet lead up to the day of the event. So much so, I queried if it would be run. But no, there were a few wet bits and one stage was cut in half due to the slippery clay, but other than that the roads were very grippy.

We pace noted the weekend before and identified some slippery bits. They were indeed slippery and in some case had a lot of standing water.

The start came and we lined up 15th. Our only hope was to move up a few positions. The car is not geared for some of the open roads and its max speed in 4th is about 170. Ok for the tight twisty stuff.

SS1 showed an error in the car. A miss at about 5-6000k right in the peak of the torque band. I had chased this in the previous weeks and thought I had it sorted, replacing plugs, leads and coil. It certainly stopped the car from powering through corners or away from starts.
    About 1/4 to 1/2 throttle was all I could use to get it through that zone.

The first 3 stages were run well. I decided to attack the jumps in SS1 with some bigger spherical items this year, and was rewarded with the car landing flat, and quicker times. We were 15 seconds quicker on the first stage than the previous year even with the miss. I also had trouble with the pads. The 20 series from Wilwood are CRAP. Speaking with Barry Lowe who drove the VB commode, he suggested J spec. They would have to be better than what I am running and his top 5 result was proof in the braking department.

I committed more to the notes this year, and it made a massive improvement in my stage times.

At first service, we did a bolt check and tweaked the suspension slightly. What an improvement that made. Car sat better on the road and drove well (other than that fricken miss).

SS 4-6 were repeats. SS1 saw a similar time to the first run, even though we had to slow for the Longs propped across the road who had rolled their 2 door STi. They should snap the one for sale up on here.

SS5 had some photographer in a white civic park his car sideways in a runoff area. It looked like someone had gone off. The outside of a corner is not a good parking spot.

Service and new lights were fitted and brakes bled. The pads were still crap. One of the solder joints had dried out in the lights. A test the previous night did not show this, but come race day not all bulbs worked. A quick tweak to try and fix and still no luck.

7-9 were run. We got off to a good start with Damo starting on page 2 of the notes. First call I knew as right 5, but Damo called left 3. Say what . There was then a caution left 4 then 50 jump. Oh he says , we were already a k into the stage. The next corner threw me. A right 5 over crest 100 caution right 4. It just did not feel right. Even in noting I did not like it, so went through it with caution. The miss was adding to my woes. We were running at the worst time. It was dark, but lights did nothing. Those supposed great bulbs in the standard headlights were crap. I would change them at service. I played around with the lights at the start of SS9 and got the lights to work with cable ties and electrical tape. Roast was good along the ridge line, as Damo was on the notes. As we crossed the finish line, Damo asked why I was slowing as he was reading the noted for the next few corners. I said, FF was in the dip.

Back at service. We changed the bulbs and did a couple of spot checks and we were away after refuel.

SS10. Damo was on the notes this time and we set off. The long straight through dip in this stage had us in 5th gear. No changing down for the corners and we approached the Caution right 3 tightens into left 3 very quickly. We were even faster approaching the flying finish. Too much speed saw us cut the imaginary beam backwards. Much laughing was done, only to realise the camera had not been started. The only stage we missed......

SS11 was good some nice flow and the new lights were excellent. Amazing what 10 years of light development can achieve.
    SS12 Roast and last stage of the day. We set off. That miss was still :swear: me off. Onto the ridge line and Damo was off the notes. He did find his place again after a corner or 2, so all was good. A quick laugh and away we went. As soon as he is off, he lets me know, and I have no problem with it. Out there to get big air and do reasonable skids with half power.
    Flashes on the jump halfway through the stage made it hard to see the next call Dip into R5 L5 but we powered on.

We finished the event. No scratches, no dents and the car in one piece. 13th O/R and 3rd in class was justified with the state the car was in. Here's hoping we can track that miss down. We will also change the pads. It was also my first full event with a HANS device. Trying to get it right is tricky, and does take some getting used too. I have to put it and my helmet on before getting into the car. Once in the stage, you do not know it is there. Exiting stages and onto the road, you need to loosen your belts so you can turn to see if traffic is coming, but otherwise no real hassles. I think I might invest in the gel pads instead, as the cloth covers bunch up slightly.

Many thanks to Service crew chief Fiona. You did a great job all day. Also to Fordy and Craig (even with your dud shoulder after surgery) and Ben from West Racing. A tar baby normally and this was his first rally. He enjoyed it greatly. He could not believe how friendly everyone was and how we spoke to one another. Unlike circuit racing were you hide in your garage and cover the car as soon as someone looks at it. He is a convert, and is already trying to source a car for him and his dad.

Congrats to the winners and thanks also to the volunteers for their time and the local footy team for putting on the food and bar services. The mutton roll with gravy at the finish was excellent. If I have no car next year, I'm coming at least for one of those rolls.

Also, a big shout out to the Greens. John and his son had traveled up from the Peninsula to do a road closure. Here's hoping they can get an event up, as we will certainly travel for it.

Maybe some Porterfield R8 pads would work well in this? They are quite bitey race pads, with a wide operating temp range, and good fade properties (hold up for 20 laps at Mallala). Go for about $175 per end for the Wilwood calipers.
    Chris
    ------
    I cant get no sleep...

John Green, is that the BMSC John with the LA (?) Lancer?
    Good to see this back on stages.

I think any pad would work better than the ones in it.
    Constant quick stops, and they seem to come on, but for rallying, the 20's are crap.
    Looking at DS3000, Project Mu and some endless PC35

Yeah.
    John rolled his Lancer at a hillclimb on Wakefield park.
    He is now looking at a 1600.
    His son is old enough to start driving, so would give him an excuse to go out into the shed. Also, there seems to be more knowledge around 1600's than Lancers.

New tune and new plugs have sorted the misfire thanks to Mike Dale here in SA.
    Now running generic NGK Copper core rather than the suggested iridium plugs.

Now has 151.2kw at the wheels sucking through the restrictor on ultimate 98. Has an improved mid range and better throttle response.
    Fuel was added and removed in places plus some other tweaks to make improvements to the tune.

It has been suggested that I look at running E85 as well as an intercooler spray.
    Spray was next on my list of things to add, still not sure on the E85.

First ever event win over the weekend.

Took out round 2 of the SARC Clubman Championships.

Had a serious overheating issue on the first 4 stages. Removed the front bumper and drilled the thermostat, and it seemed to resolve itself.

Last run of the day and 2nd to last corner we ended on 2 wheels on a 3rd gear corner.
    2 wheels is at about 5:40.

Was a fun day.

X-trac 6 speed for mazda 4x4 - http://www.rallycarsforsale.net/clas...tails&id=64511

Saw this and thought you might be interested.

Paul

gaaaahhhhhhh.

It might be nice, but

5 grand, plus freight.
    Then have to find driveshafts and adapter for rear driveline.

Maybe AJ can stick it in his luggage or freight container to get it back here to Australia.

How much would the Celica GT4 conversion cost as a comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
    How much would the Celica GT4 conversion cost as a comparison.
    A little less, but spare parts and gear sets are readily available.

A RAV 4 box can be made to fit too.

Maybe Mr Dunbar would like a new project.

Xtrac has way more street cred than GT4 conversion...HTH

I seem to have an attraction to tree's.

Very slippery (deep bulldust) creek crossing.
    Car steered well into the crossing driving it nicely. Went to flick it left, and it plow under-steered off the road.
    When we noted the stage, the surface looked quite solid. 15 + cars through it tore it up.

Reversed out and proceeded on. With this off, and a brain melt slow down not knowing where I was mid stage, I lost about 25 seconds and was running 5th outright until this indiscretion.

I won the SA Clubman part of the event by 12 seconds.

Claimed 2nd outright in the overall SACS with a 1600 finishing 1st. A bit peeved that you can win a championship by not winning clubman events outright. Finishing 15th or 19th in a combined event can still give you maximum points.
    Even winning 2 events outright and finishing 3rd was not enough for me to win the championship.

I think my times now put me out of the clubman classification. Something about being too fast.

Last edited by smee; 29-10-12 at 10:48 AM.

At least the car's ok. Still a good result.

4wd in clubman.. Wouldn't happen in WA (I hope!)

For Sale

This car has been my pride and joy and as such has been meticulously maintained. Always turns heads and impresses scrutineers at every event, Dirt or Tar. A build up library of photos can be found here.

Rally Car Buildup

Overall, vehicle is in very good condition and has done one event since total strip down and rebuild, and 5 events since engine rebuild. Stripped and checked after last event. Car is capable of running top 10 in any state championship, and ran top 5 in the last SA State Championship pace noted event.
    Vehicle currently has 1 month rego but can come with 12 months of ACT registration if required.

Contact me on 0428 487 633 or via om, or email at smee @ internode . on . net

Shell
    Car was built ground up from a low K Japanese import. Currently shows 68,000
    Back to bare metal soda blast prep and fully seam welded and reinforced.
    Interior, under body and engine bay painted in Ameron lusterthane Bluebell.
    2 Pac exterior painted in Mazda Sunrise yellow
    Chromo cage built by Rod Kilby to Homologation specs with added Sainz bars. CAMS certified with papers. Carbon Fibre A pillar moulds

Interior
    Steering lock removed and remote ignition and start button installed.
    Single FIA style kill switch.
    Supplementary SPA electronic gauges. Box temp, Oil temp, Water temp, Oil Pressure
    CB radio and Terratrip installed in dash. Sparco deep dish twin spoke rim.
    Rally-Safe wiring loom and GPS block fitted.
    Separate fused switches for 3 light sets, Terratrip, maplight, radio, rally-safe, aux power, Gearbox pump.
    Alloy co-drivers foot rest. Alloy false floor fitted to driver area. Variable setting roof vent.
    Velo and Sparco seats with Sabelt harness. (exp 2014)
    1kg powder extinguisher with 4kg foam and 4kg plumbed in firebomb.
    Sparco wheel tie-down. RPM Helmet Hammock, New Deka dry cell battery fitted behind drivers seat.
    Switched LED rear illumination for rear hatch area. Clear shatter film on side windows.
    New high flow Walbro twin scroll fuel pump.
    Braided Teflon lined fuel and brake lines with Speedflow fittings through cockpit.
    Hydraulic handbrake Short shift and raised mechanism for Gear lever.

Underbody
    Murray Coote 2 way adjustable suspension, stripped and checked after each event. Mazda GTR LSD 5 events since rebuild and new 626 wheel bearings on all wheels.
    Centre drive shaft 5 events since serviced and balanced by Hardy Spicer.
    Drive shafts 1 event since service.
    Custom Kevlar / Fibreglass sill protectors and Kevlar underfloor protection checked and repaired after each event if required. Carbon Kevlar fuel tank protection, Roll over fuel vent installed
    Zircoflex Level 1 and 2 heat protection coated centre transmission tunnel
    Seam welded and strengthened rear sub frame. Strengthened and plated suspension pickup points
    Castor improved front control arms, New urethane bushes front and rear.
    3mm urethane rear suspension protection flaps and mud flaps front and rear
    Custom 3 2 and 3/4 exhaust (5 events old)
    Full alloy sump guard mounted to front arms and front chassis rails.

Brakes
    Wilwood 4 spot callipers front on 297mm custom DBA4000 discs with DS3000 Pads
    Factory slider callipers rear on 300mm DBA4000 discs with DS2500 pads.
    Braided ADR approved lines all round.

Engine
    Balanced and blue printed BP engine with Wiseco pistons (Miata US series spec) 5 events since rebuild. ARP Head bolts and cometic head gasket. Mark Banyard ported head with adjustable Cam gears
    VJ23 turbo recently checked with Mark Banyard built restrictor installed and Factory intercooler.
    Remote Oil filter and front mounted Earls 10 row oil cooler with dash 10 oil lines and speedflow fittings.
    Autronic SMC ECU tuned by Mike Dale in S.A. 150kw at the wheels on a modest 14psi boost running BP98 pump fuel.
    1 season on Bosch 550cc EV14 injectors with new loom connectors and Speco fuel pressure reg and custom fuel rail.
    Recently serviced Copper core radiator filled with Evans waterless coolant

Gearbox
    PAR Straight cut 1 4 synchro box. 0 events on new bearings
    Modified secondary shaft bearing mount to Beb Fox Peter Taylor design.
    Modified casing to allow gearbox cooler fitting with flow through design to allow box and right angle drive cooling, with new 75 hardness gearbox mounts.
    Earls 4 row oil gearbox cooler fitted with switchable electronic oil pump.
    Extreme Brass Button sprung centre race clutch.

Wheels and Tyres.
    Enkei RC-G4 15 x 6.5. 114.3 PCD (Evo Fitment) rally rims.
    Pirelli medium compound 195 70 tyres 1 event old
    or 10 new Dmack 195 65 soft compound tyres.

Spares
    Pre painted Bonnets, Guards, GTR front and rear bumpers. Spare unpainted Bonnet. Rear Hatch with Glass. GTX Engine complete with inlet, exhaust and turbo housings, alternator attached.
    Complete built gearbox with straight cut 3rd.and bearing modification.
    Numerous gearbox internals with new bearings, synchro rings etc.
    Unpainted GTR Bumpers, Radiator support panel, GTR Brakes, Flywheels, Side Glass, Master cylinders, Hubs, Driveshafts, Front control arms, Rear control arms, Front sub-frames, Rear sub-frame, Steering rack, steering pump, Wiring loom, Fuel Rails, Spare dash complete, spare underbody rails (new), wiper motors, cooling fans, fuel tank inlet pipes, ball joints, front and rear springs, rear lights and garnish, rear wing + lots of other bits and pieces.
    Homologation papers for both GTX and GTR models.

$14,000 with spares.

Located in SA, but can assist with interstate shipping if required.
    The car is serviced and ready to go, just get it to an event and go racing.
    Any assistance given to new owner including attendance at events or tests.