Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SR20DET Rolla KE70

SR20DET Rolla KE70

hey all,
    just thought id start a thread on my project. as stated on heading its a corolla KE70, 1984 model. i originally picked it up for 200 with a bung as head on it by knocking on some ladies door and asking her if she wanted to sell it as there were amounts of cobwebs between the car and the road. if only my first offer was $50 cause i reckon she would have taken it. anyway here are pics from when it got picked up.

Pulling out gay arse 4K motor

Great use of the 4K

picking up my SR

Modifying rolla cross member for SR

Cleaning the engine bay

Intercooler mounted

Cross member for gb and motor powder coated

Borgwarner made to fit the rolla, with 4.11 gears

Latest photos with motor in

newest car photos

feel free to comment. im waiting on turbo currently. getting a GT3040 aiming for around 300rwkW. with external gate off the turbo exhaust housing. any questions just ask.

Cheers

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    OK this gets bumped to my favourite!

Did you have to mess with the sump or steering? Did you get a front cut? How much have you spent and what do you think it'll owe you finished?
    No 4 on the Cessnock Street Outlaws list

2011 Westfield Arrow 20v
    Ls1 Nitrous Rodeo
    2014 Sylva Riot
    1964 El Camino
    1996 HD sporty

I can answer some questions i been helping him do the conversion, steering no mods, sump is diegrinded slightly to clear one bolt that holds the steering rack in on the drivers side.

he can answer about costs!
    Last edited by PLAYA; 09-01-07 at 01:25 AM.
    I design and sell the following:

www.iqengineering.com.au
    -RB30 into GTR sump adapters
    -Engine mounts - urethane and perfect for all conversions
    -SR20 to RB25 bell housing conversions
    -Can do any 3D design and modelling at competitive rates.

Coming Soon:
    Holden 5L 4 bolt main caps and full one piece girdle.
    Hydraulic tilt tray trailers, lowest approach angle in the industry, suspension, control it from your Android or Iphone....ETA 2 months

well fkn done.

that'll be an absolute animal with 300rwkw's
    ________
    LIVE SEX
    Last edited by pisana; 06-09-11 at 11:53 AM.

yo, yeah ill get you a photo of the part thats die grinded. cause honestly the amount we die grinded was next to nothing, its tiny. its unbelievable how close the fit is when your putting it in.

the amount ive spent is a bit of a hard question as i sort of lost track at the moment. ive spent alot due to the fact that this is the first real car conversion i have ever done so ive also had to buy alot of tools but for direct car costs id say ive spent about $10,000. and once complete i reckon it will be still around this price range because ive got all my parts here just need to install them now. my turbo and shits already paid for aswell.

my original goal with this car was to fit the sr as cheap as possible and go for about 200rwkW. and now ive already side tracked. ive been doing this conversion since july but it was going a bit slow with uni.

Opens
    Should be pretty quick, were a couple of SR20DET KE70’s getting around up here in Brisbane one sedan and one wagon….. Both of which had no problems peeling rubber off the tyres.

I was tempted recently (to the point in checking out a few donor KE70’s) to drop a 1uzfe into one…. Good clean KE70’s are much thinner on the ground now than they were 2 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by psi999
    Should be pretty quick, were a couple of SR20DET KE70’s getting around up here in Brisbane one sedan and one wagon….. Both of which had no problems peeling rubber off the tyres.

I was tempted recently (to the point in checking out a few donor KE70’s) to drop a 1uzfe into one…. Good clean KE70’s are much thinner on the ground now than they were 2 years ago
    yeh i found this car in some ghetto slum area next to where my grandma lives, pretty much luck.
    Last edited by pdawg; 09-01-07 at 08:22 PM.

here are the photos of the sump die grinded out for ALLMTR. its hard to see cause its such a tight fit, but you can tell the webbing of the sump has been cut into, we had a second sump to see how much of it is actual webbing before we get into the sump and there is alot.

Is the AE71 the same? I realise the motor is an A series but is the rest pretty much the same???

2011 Westfield Arrow 20v
    Ls1 Nitrous Rodeo
    2014 Sylva Riot
    1964 El Camino
    1996 HD sporty

Opens
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR
    Is the AE71 the same? I realise the motor is an A series but is the rest pretty much the same???
    AE71 came with a 4-AC + T5 box
    KE70 came with a 4-KC

Thats about it.....AE71's were a more late model KE70, all of them had the sloped grill from memory.

I had a AE71 4AGE Corolla about 8 years ago, was a fun beast.

AE gives u hydralic clutch making it much easier then having to convert the KE

www.iqengineering.com.au

Coming Soon:
    Hydraulic tilt tray trailers, lowest approach angle in the industry, suspension, control it from your Android or Iphone....ETA 2 months

love it

What is the motor out of? Ebay cooler? Every one of these 'rolla's that I have looked at in the past has been riddled with rust....

Edit: Did you consider spacing the crossmember down with 20mm spacers?
    Last edited by ALLMTR; 09-01-07 at 08:12 PM.

2011 Westfield Arrow 20v
    Ls1 Nitrous Rodeo
    2014 Sylva Riot
    1964 El Camino
    1996 HD sporty

there is no real difference between the ke70 and ae71 as playa said the hydraulic clutch is one of the main changes but all the cross members and shit are the same. and the sloped front is not only on ae71's but also ke70 such as mine here. there arent heaps of them tho as they jumped into the ae71s pretty quick. this one that ive got here is a 1984 ke70 any later than that and it should be a ae71.

i cant say i really considered using spacers on the cross member to drop the motor down, as it sits fairly well where it is at the moment. not sure how much of an affect dropping the motor down would have. thats a good question tho, ill see what happens.

btw the cooler is just jap, originally the car was just gonna be a budget SR conversion but over the time ive been doing it, i slowly keep wanting to get more power, so i bought the intercooler back when i was doing it budget, ill see how it goes. i cant really see much being wrong with it, but you never know.

also i forgot to answer your question in your first reply ALLMTR, i didnt get a half cut, i just got engine package which included gear box, loom, computer etc, for 3k
    Last edited by pdawg; 10-01-07 at 12:23 AM.

The small amount of searching I've done on this swap leads me to believe that a front cut may be a good deal just for the front brakes. I reckon this would be an awsum budget build as ebay style bits for the SR are dirt cheap.

2011 Westfield Arrow 20v
    Ls1 Nitrous Rodeo
    2014 Sylva Riot
    1964 El Camino
    1996 HD sporty

yeh you can easily go budget but i decided to go serious halfway through and started doin shit on the more expensive side. its a basic brake conversion aswell where you can get corona xt130 struts fit the corolla top hat and get springs made up, then you can fit hilux LN106 4 spot calipers, and get peugot 306 vented discs. the peugot vented discs can be picked up for $120-$140 a pair from brembos. with the peugot discs tho you need to file out the holes about 1-2mm so they line up with the hub and its good to go.

Good to see you've put some thought into stopping said 300kw monsta. How far off done are you?

2011 Westfield Arrow 20v
    Ls1 Nitrous Rodeo
    2014 Sylva Riot
    1964 El Camino
    1996 HD sporty

not far now. currently im about to have lunch from mounting my radiator and thermos. after that i need to put in clutch master, brake master and booster, i get my tail shaft chopped and surge tank welded up on monday, then i need to do my fuel lines, and finish off the wiring for the haltech, and ill see if any other problems arise from that. ohh and i need to get my bluebird trx rims fitted with new tyres.

Top work pdawg! I used to own an AE71 (and was about to ask the same question as ALLMTR but it was answered by psi999) and it was top fun in the wet, even with the standard motor. It was a little lowered and had a mild cam + 5 spd manual + exhaust, but that was about it.

I'd love to see this project when finished (and can take some photos of it when done too if you like) - I'm in Adelaide as well.

Are you going to respray it or leave it as is?
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

currently im gonna leave it as is. itll be too hard to get it resprayed now as i just want to get it on the road now. but once i give it a clean and polish it will look nearly new. cause the paint when i bought it looked in really good condition. obviously now there is a cm thick dust on it or as i like to call it rust preventative lol.

Stuff spraying it.....sleeper FTMFW

2011 Westfield Arrow 20v
    Ls1 Nitrous Rodeo
    2014 Sylva Riot
    1964 El Camino
    1996 HD sporty

I've heard a rumour that the tunnel needs cutting to fit the gearbox. Did you have to cut the tunnel?

2011 Westfield Arrow 20v
    Ls1 Nitrous Rodeo
    2014 Sylva Riot
    1964 El Camino
    1996 HD sporty

Nah no cuttingof the tunnel just cutting around the gear leaver. When we fitted it up it is very close, you wont get the gearbox out easily, will have to drop the crossmember a bit to get it out.

www.iqengineering.com.au

Coming Soon:

yeh as playa said we have the trans and everything in no worries, it is a close fit but by no means difficult. youll only need to cut the tunnel if you want to replace the clutch without having to drop the motor because youll have no room to get the gearbox bolts pulled out as they will hit the fire wall. only cutting involved was gear knob hole need to shift it back.

nice work, even if it is a filthy nissan engine

just kidding btw

Hows it going?

2011 Westfield Arrow 20v
    Ls1 Nitrous Rodeo
    2014 Sylva Riot
    1964 El Camino
    1996 HD sporty

yeh not too bad ill put some pics up later on today after i get some work done

this is what i just completed recently which is the thermos and radiator fully mounted.

heres my tailshaft that i picked up monday, shortened balanced and with a s13 end from a AU tailshaft.

surgetank that i also picked up on monday. since we dont have a tig welder had to put it all together how i wanted it then took it to a welder and got all that done with the pickup on petrol tank.

Rear calipers have been rebuilt and are ready to go.

Pickup on petty tank

Brake booster that i just repainted for no apparent reason got bored i guess.

Landcruiser brake master cylinder i bought that bolts onto the brake booster surprisingly. no mods required.

thats the latest so back to work
    Last edited by pdawg; 24-01-07 at 09:29 AM.

Here are the hilux LN106 4 spot calipers fitted on the rolla. if you have seen the standard ke70 brake setup youll see that this is a significant jump in stopping.

tail shaft is also fitted.

Damn that's a serious Brake upgrade! I'd love to see this thing when it's done! You going to run it at the drags or just scare unsuspecting VN drivers?
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Ready... Take aim... oldcorollas's Avatar
    do you have any weights for the discs and calipers?

(bit late now but...)
    did you consider going the S13/S14 struts with Z32/R32/R33 brakes?
    Last edited by oldcorollas; 26-01-07 at 11:31 PM.
    "I'm a retarded Doctor, not a retarded Mechanic"