Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 1508

Thread: Fiat 131 Sports Sedan

And thanks heaps for the console mate, greatly appreciated!!
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Sports Sedan

Toploader
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

I heart new shiny bits.

18x12" rears.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1096.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	101466

The spare clutch from the Hammerhead. 4700lb alloy cover single plate. Going back to a standard weight non Swiss cheese 131 flywheel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1091.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	221.1 KB 
ID:	101467  

My Sports Sedan

And a TTI 6 speed sequential dog box, custom adaptor and standard 131 bellhousing. Tailshaft ends up being 32mm shorter. Still a little ways off.

Name:	IMG_0887.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	541.3 KB 
ID:	101468   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1060.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	272.6 KB 
ID:	101469  

My Sports Sedan

Nice box.....

Would love one of those in the S14, if it ever gets finished.... But whilst standard 5 speed gearboxes are still around for relative beer money, I will still use them. 15 or so gear boxes should see me do a lot of racing to get to the break even point of one of those

I wish it was that easy for me. The grunt, solid mounting, grip and need for ratios mean no road car box would work properly for long. Converting to an rb25 box would cost a fair bit, add weight, PPG gear set another $9k and it's still a h pattern with 5 much wider ratios. $10k for a 2nd hand h pattern Hollinger that could be fucked. $600 for a service and inspection and then whatever's wrong replaced. Fuck that.

My Sports Sedan

Hooley Dooley !!

Well this escalated!!!
    DJ's don't need sigs

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    I heart new shiny bits.

18x12" rears.

Name:	IMG_1096.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	101466

The spare clutch from the Hammerhead. 4700lb alloy cover single plate. Going back to a standard weight non Swiss cheese 131 flywheel.
    why are you going to a heavier flywheel?

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    Fuck yeah

We should do road speed and boost per gear now mate - I've got some free time.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Quote Originally Posted by dougmo View Post
    why are you going to a heavier flywheel?
    Jim's a big fan of heavier flywheels on turbo cars for allowing better transient boost response.

My Sports Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post
    Fuck yeah

We should do road speed and boost per gear now mate - I've got some free time.
    Will be fun banging up through those gears and finally being able to dial in what the motor's capable of! Are you able to have a look at my brothers ute now?

My Sports Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Jim's a big fan of heavier flywheels on turbo cars for allowing better transient boost response.
    will the gearbox work with the heavier weight? for a dog box i would have thought the lighter the better

So I suppose I should be updating this thread. I got back from the Variety Bash and a good mate and Ken Graham had the car ready for me for a race meet that weekend. An epic amount of work went in. Not only doing the sequential conversion, but trying to sort issues too.

The car had been missing at the last meet from 6,500, like a hard cut. With me in the outback somewhere and Scott moving shops the car was taken to Ken's guy. He wired in the Haltech rotary dial boost switch and tried to get the car to play ball. It didn't really want to. You'd get some random clean runs but nothing repeatable. Suspected coil packs so the car was out on the trailer and taken home. Two days out from the meet. Maika would here nothing of it though and picked up a set of four R35GTR COPs with harness. He wired it up, made a temporary bracket and gave the car a test hit up the road. Already much crisper. That was Friday.

That night I put the flat rear floor back on, quick spanner check and wipe down and set the alarm for an early start. I headed out in the regularity just so I could get some seat time with the sequential. I was a little surprised, within 3 laps I was clutchless shifting, it was like 2nd nature. And I was in love. Fuck!! Just banging up through the gears with them so close! Just to stir me up Ken had used a Datsun gearstick, bent up with a nylon knob so it fell perfectly to hand.

Grip levels were quite ordinary as the tyres were getting on and we'd run out of time to put some Octopus Grip on. But I was out there. I did a few laps in Qually and the car started over boosting. Big time. So I came in. Noticed one of the wastegate lines had come adrift, fixed that, went back out, wasn't that. So yeah, looks like it was gate again. Ian (Kiahatsiu) ran the same old school Tiall in his (what we though at the time) recently expired Subaru. So we legged it back to his house and dropped the gate out of the Lagacy. I legged it back to QR, got a call minutes out from Maika saying the diaphragm was pinched, he'd dodged it up and our category was just called so get a move on. I did the needful. Got there in time.

I think I finished 2nd in that race, the car ran ok on low boost, ~15. There was still a miss, though ~7,000. So next morning, first race I noticed the car wasn't charging at all after lap 2. Even less grip. Finished the race in 2nd, keeping an eye on fuel pressure the whole time. Came into the pits and MrMod discovered a broken exciter wire. That was repaired but when I plugged it back on I plugged it on to the wrong terminal. Still no charge. Sorted that out then noticed the car was idling ~800rpm higher meaning I couldn't select reverse. Found a big split in the plenum! 200mph tape and headed out.

To add to the fuck ups, two dzus clips weren't done up right on the bonnet. Came in on the formation lap, got them sort of down and headed out nearly a lap down. Finished 3rd. No fucking grip at all. My radio slipped off my lapel and, approaching 6, found its way between sill and throttle. Narded my pants, clutched it, limiter and buried the pedal. By that stage I was well past the braking point, went off the track, gathered it up and got back on. Trouble was I'd flat spotted the tyre hard core, even light pedal pressure from then on was finding that flat spot again. Every time.

So last race of the weekend was the handicap which decides the results. I was starting last with a mate who, despite our quickest times being similar, was much quicker over race distance and my times had been getting worse and worse (2.5-3 seconds) as the tyres (and canvas!!) wore on. So I let him go in front and took it easy just trying to find my rhythm. Zero grip, as in 105 Alfas on semis leaving me in the tight stuff, despite winding bias way to the rear the front right would pinch on tiny pedal pressure.

So the split in the plenum has been welded up. Since discovered massive cracks in inlet runners 1 & 2, they've been welded just need to be ground back. I think they've been caused by the solid mount that picked up runners 1 & 2 to the strut tower. That's being rethought. Injectors cleaned (they were fine), filters cleaned (one was quite dirty) then I need to put it together and get some seat time. Fuck I had fun. This box is epic!! Have some near new Hankooks for the front, will get some new rears and keep chipping away.

Here are some pics.

Name:	Photo 29-9-17, 7 46 30 am.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	264.9 KB 
ID:	102553   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 29-9-17, 7 46 23 am.jpg 
Size:	360.6 KB 
ID:	102554   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 29-9-17, 7 46 04 am.jpg 
Size:	380.3 KB 
ID:	102555   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 29-9-17, 7 45 58 am.jpg 
Size:	318.5 KB 
ID:	102556   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 28-9-17, 5 48 09 pm.jpg 
Size:	458.7 KB 
ID:	102557  

Name:	Photo 19-9-17, 7 20 57 am.jpg 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	102558   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 18-9-17, 11 15 23 am.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	518.9 KB 
ID:	102559   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 16-9-17, 7 50 18 am.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	535.8 KB 
ID:	102560   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 16-9-17, 10 00 18 am.jpg 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	102561   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 2-10-17, 8 30 32 pm.jpg 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	102562  

Name:	Photo 22-9-17, 8 16 15 pm.jpg 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	102563  

My Sports Sedan

too old for this shit Kiahatsiu's Avatar
    I though the parts inside the mvr were interchangeable with the v44

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kiahatsiu; 15-10-17 at 04:06 AM.
    Torque sells tow cars.
    Horsepower wins horse races.

Nah, different diaphragms, learnt that from last time it went. It will be getting replaced with a 45mm turbosmart gate. Also bought a new CAS so that was wopped on the other night.

My Sports Sedan

When's the next outing mate? I really need to see this thing get angry in the flesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Well the racing is over for the year but I was looking to take it out to the time attack King of QR mid November. Looks like they're dropping their unlimited class (slicks) so that may be a no go Failing that, probably the Time Attack meet in December. Need to get it all back together and the new rubber put on.

My Sports Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    So many things went wrong, but damn I had a good time, fuck yeah
    really really loving your attitude mate, and love that you're getting some good seat time finally

Need some audio of the test hits up the street next time
    Quote Originally Posted by myshortyboomba View Post
    I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraud View Post
    really really loving your attitude mate, and love that you're getting some good seat time finally

Need some audio of the test hits up the street next time
    Cheers dude, I know constant rage quits like a 3 year old make for more entertaining internets reading but I have to be realistic about the situation. It's a pretty full on car where everything is custom and has had every single part of it rebuilt/replaced because it was fucked and I'm an insurance underwriter without fab skills and have a young family. A lot of guys with a lot more build talent than me have to get through niggling issues on a new race car build so it's not as if I'm a special little snowflake that won't have this happen to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm frustrated AF at times, but it is what it is.

Also should add, replacing 3 front bonnet dzus clips with traditional pins (the dzus clips gave issue since car was first finished in 1990) and the two rear dzus clips are being replaced with quick latches. Also making a brace that takes the weight of the inlet from threaded bosses in the runners to additional threaded holes on the head. Have an engine torque damper that will pick up from turbo to LH strut.

My Sports Sedan

All buttoned back up. Need to get the new Hankook fronts on and I have sneaking suspicion there might be a crack in the exhaust manifold. Seemed a lot laggier last time I was out. Nothing obvious so I'll get a mirror on a stick and check underneath.

Name:	IMG_1655.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	102741  

My Sports Sedan

The dzus clips have always been a bit of a pain in the arse, unlatch etc. The spring loses tension, the rivets shake loose and they're just...well...shit...

So I've converted the rear two to quick latches. They come in the same shape and size as the dzus so no further drilling is needed. I just needed to drill out the dzus clips, the springs on the mount and lower the existing dzus mounts on the body. They seem to locate much more positively than the dzus clips.

I bought traditional bonnet pins for the front 3 mounts but I reckon I'll do them in quick latches too.

Name:	IMG_1672.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	503.9 KB 
ID:	102790   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1670.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	459.7 KB 
ID:	102788   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1671.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	476.2 KB 
ID:	102789  

My Sports Sedan

I love the bool & socket style quick latches that are around now.
    I used them to mount my bumper and boot... great little gadgets and super easy to use.

Yep, I'm looking to put another pair on the air dam down the track too, only problem is the cost.

My Sports Sedan

too old for this shit Kiahatsiu's Avatar
    Tiny tiny modification, giant improvement over previous clips.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Torque sells tow cars.
    Horsepower wins horse races.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiahatsiu View Post
    Tiny tiny modification, giant improvement over previous clips.
    Wait 'til you see the tyre stickers.

My Sports Sedan

Have spotted those one bookface adds for some reason and thought they looked the tits... I was right. Well played mate

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842594902 - making little toys for the big boys

So peoples, surge tanks. Does it matter if the surge tank is above the fuel tank?? I'm not sure if it would matter given the surge is fed by a high flow low pressure pump. But I'm an insurance underwriter, not a fluid dynamicist.

Currently the surge tank is in a rather venerable position, just in front of the LHR wheel against the guard. It's caused an issue/fireball in the past when the car was t boned on track and a fitting was smashed off causing fuel to flow over the exhaust.

The other bonus of putting the surge on top of the main tank is also moving the 044s on top, currently they sit too close to the exhaust for my liking. I've discovered I don't much like being on fire. So yay or nay?

My Sports Sedan

Sounds fair, of course a feed pump failure will surely stop you, .....but it would in any position.

Otherwise, same same

Everything is about packaging.
    " Money is for those without skills"

I just used a hydramat in my track car and deleted the surge tank entirely.