Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Fiat 131 Sports Sedan

sweet! now we can use your car for the qld challenge

Haha...so when are you planning on the leg amputation so that you can have a drive?
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Sports Sedan

ETA for skids?

Next OMGWTFBBQ

Quote Originally Posted by HoonBoy View Post
    ETA for skids?
    NFI. I am wanting to fix up a lot of little things here and there and be 100% happy with it. The first big event I am planning to enter is the Aus Hillclimb Championships in November. Would like to do a few little meets before that so that I am comfortable with it's reliability.

My Sports Sedan

Ran a tap through the head bolt holes in the block, bit of emery paper and kero on the face, cleaned up the inlet manifold, fitted the head and torqued it down with the inlet on.

Norm reckons he'll knock the cage over this week. Next Saturday I'll go back over and put the cam wheels on with new cam belt, and dial them in.

Also just ordered an RCI 57litre alloy fuel cell. So if that arrives this week may also mount that next saturday. Then the next big job will be redoing all the fuel system with Earls fittings.

My Sports Sedan

haha.... I saw that advertised 2 minutes after I bought the one on Ebay. But for the extra $10 I paid I think I'd prefer the security of a shop than some random dude with only 2 posts on this site.

My Sports Sedan

Well the cage is done so I be pretty happy!! The fuel cell will hopefully arrive this week and then we can start redoing the whole fuel system. Getting there!!

I have also decided to scarp the hall effect sensor, commodore coils and camira ignitin modules and convert to a crank angle sensor with LS1 coils that have built in ignitors.

In terms of tidying the engine bay I'll be changing the coolant resevoir into the oil catch can, running a generic plastic resevoir and making a bracket behind the RH head light to mount the oil filter. That way I'll have room to run the much more common (& cheap!!) Ryco Z4.

Anyway, here's a few pics of the cage.

My Sports Sedan

Nice looking cage, how are you managing to keep rego with it in? Are you not going to tell them?

Quote Originally Posted by HoonBoy View Post
    Nice looking cage, how are you managing to keep rego with it in? Are you not going to tell them?
    +1

those fixed side intrusion bars are going to make it interesting!

The cage will be Qld transport approved...
    Last edited by Guido; 13-04-08 at 10:59 PM.

My Sports Sedan

How do you get a full welded in cage approved for road use??

Oh yeah, very cool project, seeing it helps motivate me to work on my Alfa
    “You have to be the change you want to see in the world.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi
    Indian independence leader

No taxi bar? What are you going to do with the harness?

How are you going to paint it?

Looks good though. It's gonna be funny to see you driving around a 30 km/hr corner with all 4 wheels on the ground
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

The taxi bar is mounted further back and braced down to the tunnel. I think the reason for the taxi bar being back there is because the main hoop is quite forward, I sit really close to the wheel.

If anything I thought it would be more prone to lifting the wheels now the chassis will have some stiffness. May find that I need to go up in spring rates.

Painting it could prove to be an issue... meh.

Hamish - Qld is a little more laid back.

My Sports Sedan

Probationarily unbanned
    I'd be moving the taxi bar back up to where it belongs on the main hoop, you want the shortest harness run possible to minimise what things your flailing body smashes into during the accident.
    Don't worry, thats just the self-preservation instinct, in my experience you can safely ignore it.

What real world difference does it make if the harness is taught like it should be? Apparently there have been cases of the taxi bar itself bending, this is why it has been braced to the back of the tunnel.

Edit: the fuel cell & coil packs are ready to be picked up from the post office... woot.
    Last edited by Guido; 14-04-08 at 06:23 PM.

My Sports Sedan

Ru running At Wheels on Wide BAY this year ?

later
    It is possible to get a welded in cage through rego, a guy in Melbourne had been running his MkIII Golf VR6 with a welded cage for the last few years with no problems, except for loose nut holding the steeringwheel.

Cameron - nah, does not look like it. They wanted entries in too early and I didn't wash to rush things.

My Sports Sedan

Will this be ready by powercruise?

Quote Originally Posted by Bond's ad chick View Post
    Will this be ready by powercruise?
    Yeah... keep an eye out for me at the hour of (not much) power.

Just got a couple of goodies in the mail today.

My Sports Sedan

Fuel set up is done. The car is almost ready to be picked up, just the mod plate and CAMS paperwork need to be done.

The motor is all back together but still running on 3. Seems to be a dud coil pack and/or module. Not really concerned as this is about to be replaced with the LS1 set up.

The resevoir has had a couple of 1" fittings welded to it and will now be the catch can. I have bought a plastic resevoir from rare spares that will sit behind the RH headlights. It's from a HQ Monaro or some shite.

Aluminium firewall has been made. This will be rivited in after the car is painted. I'll also be getting the angle grinder out and cutting away uneeded brackets to make it look a lot neater and to reap the massive benefits of a 748.9g weight saving...

Here are a few pics.

My Sports Sedan

Are you going to support the fuel lines any better? Looks like there would be a bit of movement going from the pis. Are you putting any straps over the tank to support it during and after an "incident"?

What crap do you need to do for CAMS? I guess I need to do the same...

I don't really see their being a problem with the fuel lines?? They are not rubbing up against anything, have proper anodised fittings with long collars and everything they run from and too is securely mounted. The ones up near the firewall have p clamps that are not clamped down in that shot. There is no feasible way for there to be P clamps on the breather and return which are the only two lines that really stick up.

Likewise with the tank, it is securely mounted at 4 points and is quite central compared with the standard tank mounted on the RHS of the car with one hinged strap and an 8mm bolt.

Just need the paperwork filled out stating that it is cams approved and why. Will also get log booked at the same time.

My Sports Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    ...The ones up near the firewall have p clamps that are not clamped down in that shot. ...
    Thats the ones I was referring to

...Likewise with the tank, it is securely mounted at 4 points and is quite central compared with the standard tank mounted on the RHS of the car with one hinged strap and an 8mm bolt.
    The instructions that came with my tank stated that the lugs were for locating only and it needed extra mounts. Thats why I have it stapped down over the tank with some aluminium strip so it can't move at all.

What's the story behind the tyre goop can being cable-tied in there?
    Quote Originally Posted by dahashrat View Post
    I am furiously masturbating whilst crying.

Ah I see. My instructions simply stated "mount in a secure location"... Will be easy enough to make up straps if need be.

Arcane - I have no room for a spare and that is the most logical location for it. I always have a traveller tool kit with cutters. But seens as the only driving on the road the car ever does now is to and from the track (where I carry at least another 2 wheels and tyres) I'll probably get rid of it altogether.

My Sports Sedan

Brought the car back home today! It's is a good feeling, even if there is still so much more work to be done. Tomorrow night I'll be starting by painting the cage in undercoat, then grinding off unnecessary brackets.

The second pic shows the coolant resevoir which now has 2x 1" fittings and will be used as the catch can. All that wiring will be going inside the car. The third pic shows the new cam gears, the fourth shows where I plan to fit the HQ Munro coolant resevoir and the fifth is the all important paperwork and blue plate.

I also have a Fiat 131 brake resevoir on the way that mounts directly on top of the master. Will look a lot neater and I'll be able to cut away the scabby old bracket.

My Sports Sedan

What real world difference does it make if the harness is taught like it should be? Apparently there have been cases of the taxi bar itself bending, this is why it has been braced to the back of the tunnel.
    Harnesses stretch. Even when they are done as tight as humanly possible, they will stretch and you will move. They are designed this way otherwise we'd be using metal bars like a rollercoaster to strap ourselves in. Minimum length = minimum stretch = less chance of smacking your face into the wheel etc.

That is also the reason why harnesses are cut up after a biggish accident. Once they have stretched that is it, no more give, and next time you have an acco.,..... snap! go the belts.