Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Fiat 131 Sports Sedan

What sort of mods would need to be done to the cage to make it fit an XY?

Quote Originally Posted by Nafe View Post
    Harnesses stretch. Even when they are done as tight as humanly possible, they will stretch and you will move. They are designed this way otherwise we'd be using metal bars like a rollercoaster to strap ourselves in. Minimum length = minimum stretch = less chance of smacking your face into the wheel etc.

That is also the reason why harnesses are cut up after a biggish accident. Once they have stretched that is it, no more give, and next time you have an acco.,..... snap! go the belts.

I see what you mean. But the harnesses Norm uses are the extra long jobbies that wrap around the cage, not bolted to eyelets.

Jason - might be a little hard but I know a bloke with a pretty sweet bolt in aluminium cage from an ET Pulsar that might do the trick.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Sports Sedan

The harnesses can still be wrapped around the taxi bar - doesn't really matter how long the shoulder straps are. Most of the cars I've seen (including V8 supercars) have it this way. My car already has the holes for the eyebolts in place otherwise I would have done it this way.

There's been a bit of progress these last couple of weeks, with a lot of thanks needing to go to Tim510.

I remounted the map sensor on the firewall, tidied up the wiring on the RHS inner guard and LHS inner guard and remounted a few relays out of sight. Tim tidied up a lot of the Haltech wiring on the LHS guard when wiring up the LS1 coil packs for me and it is now largely hidden under the airbox. I made up a bracket for the coolant resevoir and a bracket for the coil packs from Tim's design.

Got Qld Ignition Leads to make me up a new set of 9mm leads yesterday and then we spent the arvo trying to get the thing to run. Unfortunately we were not successfull. Sounds like it wants to run, there is fuel, there is spark but it just won't kick.

The catch can is being modified at the moment so that one of the fittings points downwards. The fitting for the hose end came straight out towards the headlights and there wasn't enough room without the hose having a kink in it. Also getting an alloy bracket made up for the dry cell battery. This is being mounted on the rear floor where the LHS rear passenger would have sat.

Anyway, here are some updated pics. There is some repainting to be done in the bay so it will end up looking better.

My Sports Sedan

It runs!!!

After several nights of farking around it finally runs...and on all four.

It would appear that one of the Haltech's ignition outputs is stuffed. A disconnected injector wire on number two wasn't helping things... Anyway, substituted Tim's E6X and loaded my map into it and this is the result. Will send my box back to Haltech to get fixed. I am pretty happy though!!

Bare in mind this is the very first start and the first time it has run on all four and started this quickly since August last year. And first time on these coil packs. Running a MUCH bigger plug gap easily now and the idle seems to be nicer at cold despite the cams having been dialed in more agressively. I'll put the engine bay together and take it aroiund the block on Saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U39fotvNL0Q

BIIIIG thanks to Tim and the Calibrator. I was on the verge of pissing it all off and putting Webers on it.

My Sports Sedan

Top stuff Guido McFatlip.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    I was on the verge of pissing it all off and putting Webers on it.
    I've got a spare Weber and manifold that'll fit, you can have them if you want. Just send me your set up once you pull it all off.

It's coming along nicley mate. I can't wait to hear mine fire up!!

I'll put the engine bay together and take it aroiund the block on Saturday.
    With much disrespecting?

Opens
    I'll have my brake fluid water bombs at the ready then.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta Williams View Post
    It's a fiat - water bombs would be sufficient. Would be rusted away by the end of the street

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta Williams View Post
    Jon - you make look like Carl Williams but don't ever confuse yourself as a hard carnut.

My Sports Sedan

Top stuff!

I was on the verge of pissing it all off and putting Webers on it.
    I was on the verge of pissing of the webers for injection!

Quote Originally Posted by HoonBoy View Post
    Top stuff!

I was on the verge of pissing of the webers for injection!
    Webers make more sense to my simple mind!

Put the bay back together tonight. Think I'll need to gap the plugs down a little, bit of a miss when you give it a hit. Apparently spat some pretty sweet flames on over run...though I am pretty sure that is not a good thing.

My Sports Sedan

As it now sits.

My Sports Sedan

I thought you could only count to 3

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moran View Post
    I thought you could only count to 3
    That's Tim's writing... I'll get there one day.

My Sports Sedan

Good work although I have to say that coil mounting method looks familiar

So whats the competition program now?

PS This car is hardly a 'street car'.
    Richard's DatsunZ lappin LakesidZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OSh...&feature=g-upl

“Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit.”
    ― Jim C. Hines

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
    ― Daniel Patrick Moynihan

“Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets..”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Richard - no idea really!! I just want to get it finished, do some sprints and hillclimbs, maybe some AASA events. Just got the entry/invite for Leyburn and Speed on Tweed. They have changed the track at Leyburn now so I am not all that concerned if I miss it. But it is the last Speed on Tweed ever, might give that a crack.

It's still a street car... Just took it for a quick spin around the block... Think I need to gap the plugs back down a little. Need to make the mount for the computer, get those couple of small holes welded up and then it gets painted.

My Sports Sedan

Did it spin 2?

But it is the last Speed on Tweed ever
    it is?
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

And don't forget you've got Buladelah this year too

Opens
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    it is?
    Yep.

Final flag to fall on Festival of Speed on Tweed
    For Immediate Release: Thursday 12 June 2008

Just as every good race car and driver eventually goes into retirement so too is Australia’s leading historic motoring event with organisers of the Festival of Speed on Tweed today announcing that the last event will be held on September 19 – 21.

Since the first competitor hit the track at the inaugural Festival of Speed on Tweed in 2002 the event has grown to be a highlight on the historic motoring calendar and this year more than 200 competitors and their cars are expected to converge on Murwillumbah for the one last hurrah.

After spending thousands of tireless hours organizing the Festival of Speed on Tweed, Roger Ealand said without proper commercial or state government support the continuation of the event was not possible.

“Since the very first Festival of Speed on Tweed seven years ago, there has been a loyal band of volunteers who have all worked together to make the event a success and now with more competitors and spectators more monetary support and people power is required to ensure the event remains world class,” Ealand said.

“I know there will be a tear or two shed by many people when the event is staged for the last time as everyone you speak to has fond memories of the Festival of Speed on Tweed which was designed to celebrate engineering beauties and ingenuity from eras gone by.

“While we have made every effort to ensure the longevity of the event, unfortunately no major government or commercial support could be obtained which left us with no option by to make this year’s event the last.”

Not only has the Festival of Speed on Tweed been responsible for the revival of some motoring royalty from eras gone by it has also raised more than $200,000 for charity whilst contributing to the local tourism economy.

“Part of the motivation behind organizing the Festival of Speed on Tweed was to inject some additional tourist dollars into the town which was suffering after the closure of the railway and the by-pass of the town,” Ealand said.

“Feedback from local businesses in the past has been that the event is one of their busiest weekends of the year with the ‘No Vacancy’ sign displayed at the majority of motels in Murwillumbah and the surrounding towns.

“Over the years we have also supported a number of worthy causes such as the Murwillumbah Hospital and local schools and service groups. On top of this national organisations have also benefited with donations made to the Brock Foundation, Children’s Cancer Institute and State Emergency Service.”

The final Festival of Speed on Tweed will assist the McGrath Foundation with money raised from the event to help support breast cancer sufferers and the pursuit to place specially trained breast care nurses at metropolitan and regional hospitals throughout Australia.

For Ealand stepping down from the event will provide him with additional time to explore racing opportunities overseas.

“I won’t be stepping away from historic racing full stop,” Mr Ealand assured, “But now is the time for me to investigate some racing opportunities in Europe and America.”

Already a number of motoring masterpieces have expressed their interest to compete in this year’s event with entries closing on Friday July 18 2008.

Early bird tickets for the final Festival of Speed on Tweed will be on sale at www.speedontweed.com from Monday June 16 2008.

Just had the two little rust holes plated up in the floor.

I also just finished (re) making the mount for the computer. It sits up under where the heater used to be. So it is out of the way and also serves to block the incoming air that fed the heater core.

The first draft of it made it sit to close to the firewall so the plug was pretty hard to get on and caused too much of a kink in the loom. Also meant that the self tappers were fouling on the cowl. I made this one so that ECU site more towards the centre of the car.

The third pic shows where it is located, behind where the head unit used to be. I'll make up some alloy blanking plates for head unit hole and the heater controls later this week.

My Sports Sedan

too old for this shit Kiahatsiu's Avatar
    That is a lot better than the rough draft. It it still earthed the same?
    Torque sells tow cars.
    Horsepower wins horse races.

Yeah, still earthed the same, seems to have pretty good contact.

I'll make some calls about getting it painted this coming week.

My Sports Sedan

Nice man....this thing is coming along muchos awesos...

watch for anti diff spores...
    Proudly getting to the Chopper since 1979

The Fiat wont be running for a little while yet, Sam decided to move it to my place so I can try and suss out where the problem lies.
    After all the dicking around, I found that the apparently hand filed chopper wheel in the dizzy causes the timing to fluctuate by about 5 deg when its running so thats getting changed to a 12+1 arrangement

I also found that intermittently there is no spark and that the number 2 injector gets held full open every now and again. Refer to the previous post about the injector sticking.
    After putting my scope on it the problem lies with the ECU shorting the injector out.
    The decision has been made to redo the whole lot from scratch with something different. So instead of sequential injection and wasted spark it will now have sequential injection and ignition as well as street use and race day maps, it will also have launch control, flatshift and a shiftlight.
    You can NEVER have enough Horse Power

I am damn relieved that the computer made it. Was starting to get worried that some cuffer had stolen it from the docks at JB...
    Last edited by Guido; 28-08-08 at 11:12 PM.

My Sports Sedan

Duane has been working his ors off installing the Perfect Power and making/sorting the CAS set up on the dizzy shaft.

Last night we spent a bit of time getting a very basic tune into it. It was somewhat tedious when I have not driven the car any great distance in 14 months and it has thottle that feels like it has a 400psi spring...

We got there in the end yet after setting the idle as the very first step it was no longer wanting to idle. We called it a night and I was a little nervous embarking on the 50km trek home in an unsorted car that has "defect me" written all over it at the moment. About 10kms into the trip the car just started running better and better. We had clearly fouled up the plugs on the initial work.

Anyways I gave the car its first bath in 14 months and took some pics. Clearly it is no where near finished. I am leaving for Thailand tomorrow and I have quite a list waiting for me when I get back.

New steering wheel:

New battery mount for dry cell, leads need to be shortened:

Fuel set up:

Rear fire wall:

And here is a little vid of a gentle drive up into 5th on the base tune:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=EM8zhlbFyuU
    Last edited by Guido; 13-11-08 at 03:13 PM.

My Sports Sedan

Anyways the current to do list is as follows:

- weld up all the random holes that have been drilled into the boot, floor and bay over the last 38 years
    - paint cage in POR15 black and boot and floor in POR15 grey
    - shorten battery cables and neaten all the interior wiring
    - weld in a fitting for a wide band while the 2.5" exhaust is going on
    - dyno it
    - order 15x7" Superlites and fit my AO48R's
    - fix the random little shit like the wipers not working, indicator brackets, mirror mount etc
    - -12 right angled fitting for the breather to get rid of the nasty kink
    - fit the 131 brake resevoir (thanks Youngy!) and grind off old brackets
    - repaint part of bay & booster, booster bracket and master
    - anodise a few brackets
    - order repro Abarth cam covers
    - get a 5.3 centre for Mt Cotton
    - excessive skids
    Last edited by Guido; 13-11-08 at 03:38 PM.

My Sports Sedan