Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1994 NA8C MX5 Clubman

1994 NA8C MX5 Clubman

Built in October '93, Complied by Mazda Australia November '94. Thats kind of odd because when I was trying to compile a register of all the Clubmans they all had very close build and compliance dates. Perhaps this was the prototype or the Motor Show display car, or perhaps it just sat around somewhere because the Clubmans weren't selling very fast. Who knows.

When I bought it it was completely stock. Bilsteins, Torsen diff, no P/S. Optioned with air con. Managed to go though about 120 litres of PULP in the first week I had it doing hills runs every night, such a good car to drive.

Then I started buying stuff for it. First it got some Kings Springs and EBC Greenstuff pads all round. Even though the Clubmans sat lower than normal NA8 MX5's to start with it had looked a bit 4wdish so an inch off the ride height made it look a bit better without screwing with the handling too much. Had my aligner mate set it up, didn't really like what he'd done at first but I guess I've come to be used to it.

I then bought an exhaust from a crashed NA6 race car and while I was picking it up the bloke asked me if I wanted to buy any wheels, I tried to explain that I wasn't interested until I saw what he had... So I ended up with some 15x7 +17 BuddyClub P1's. When I picked them up they had some old 205/50 semi slicks on them, so test fitting was a laugh because the square sidewalls of the semis stuck out of the guards. Looked cool though. I didn't have the cash for new 195/50/15's at the time though so just stored the wheels. Couldnt be bothered fitting the exhaust either so that just sat aswell. Sold the 1.6 extractors that came with the exhaust though, for more than I'd paid for the entire lot haha.

At this point I took it to a dyno day and ran it back to back with another Clubman which made I think 15% more power than I did, the only difference being that car had a Loch Stewart intake, so the next day I went to Autobarn and found an enclosed pod which was the same as the one MX5Mania use in their intake kit and cabletied that into place. Probably should make a bracket at some point...

The stock numberplate mounts suck on these cars, the nuts behind the plate pit the paint on the nosecone so I decided I needed a fully sik dorifto side mount. Easy as.

So I went and bought the bits, planning on using a strap of very thin galvanised iron for the bracket. Cut and measured everything then when it came to drill the holes..... I discovered that my housemate's drill wont drill through the galv... Not a problem, I figured I'd just put the standard bracket back on... except I'd already broken it (well, actually I just didnt want to put the standard bracket back on)

I needed something as a temporary bracket so I could drive to work...

Enter the lid of a can of tuna - taking the lightweight idea to the max

This actually worked REALLY well. I made a better bracket a week later but my idiot friend insisted it would be easier to rivet the plate to the bracket instead of bolting it but he drilled the fucking holes too big and the plate rattled like hell. The tuna can was far better.

Sometime around then I had the top bolt for the left rear calliper fall out while I was on my way to work and jam against the inside of the wheel. That kind of sucked but I managed to do some dodgy fix to get it back home.

I let idiot cousin drive it one night and after doing fine while driving fast he managed to put it off the road, up an embankment and through a fence at 40kmh after he locked up on a corner that had some gravel/sand on it and kept the brake pedal on the floor expecting ABS to kick in. My car doesn't have ABS. Smashed the drivers mirror, drivers window, cracked the radiator top tank, broke the aerial, scratched almost the entire car (I think the back bar and the rear passenger side guard were the only untouched panels) and the offset numberplate had gotted tangled in the fence wire causing the wire to slice into the front bar. Was not happy Jan! Drove it back home after we'd gotten it back onto the road as although the top tank was cracked it hadn't really lost any water and nothing felt loose.

Next day we replaced the window, fitted bike mirrors (since we'd been joking about doing that for a while) and fitted another radiator but it turned out the bloody bottom tank on that one was broken so we had to take that back to the wreckers the next day, while we were there I found a set of red 14x6 +40 Black Racing rims which I picked up for a song. Fitted them, the third radiator and the race car exhaust (much bigger diameter, no resonator and just one very dead muffler that did sfa) the next day, and it was back on the road but looking a little sorry for itself.

Got bored, decided that $2 Export black spray paint was better than red.

Still needed to fit these though

Ended up finding a mate was selling some 195/50/15 Yoko ..... fuck can't remember the model. Good tyres though. Bought them and had them fitted to the BuddyClub's.

Then the alternator belt tensioner fell off when I was going up Gorge Road one day, luckily I was stuck behind traffic at the time. I found everything but one bolt, so limped back to town to the Mazda dealer and got a blot that would fit and then stuck it back on.

The exhaust got progressively noisier and developed that "hole in exhaust" noise we all hate. I thought there was just a hole in the pipe. Then the muffler literally fell off when I was going down Gorge Road in pursuit of some other car. The welding from the pipe going into the muffler had broken almost all the way around and it was just held on by a dag so I kicked it off, chucked the muffler on the passenger seat and blew my fucking ear drums going back up and down Gorge Road. Fuck it was loud

Got a new muffler fitted the next morning but the muppets I took it to put a 2 inch muffler on my 2.5 inch exhaust. Cunts. In 3 months it seems like I've pretty much killed this muffler, its really noisy now so I might take it back with their warranty since i actually saved the recipt for once.

I also took the drivers seat apart and removed a heap of foam so I sit a bit lower, I can fit a finger between the top of my head and the roof now. I'd already removed the sunvisors because when they were folded down I literally couldnt see anything and when they were folded up they still obscured a heap of my view.

Changed the plates, sanded the whole car in preperation for getting it painted (not back to metal, just a couple of layers of paint, but pulled most of the paint off the front bar) and bogged a couple of shopping trolley dents from before I got the car. It stayed like that for months and months because I still want to flare the guards a bit and do a few more things before painting the car properly.

Ugly hey. So I gave it a very quick spray with some white paint that was laying around the other day when it was freezing cold, did a shit job, heaps of runs, but I'll sand it a bit and go back over it a bit better this week, that'll make it look a bit better until the respray happens.

Drove it for a while with some 14x6 +20 Weds Sports that I found, lightest wheels I've ever picked up, serious feather weight stuff. They made the steering and handling sweet as. The BuddyClubs on the other hand, while looking sweet, really were too heavy (even though they're far from a heavy wheel), you could just feel it when taking off and the extra track made the handling go all shitty.

Ended up getting some 15x6.5 +19 Volk's which I fitted last week, I think they look ok and they feel much better. Also fitted a front lip today, very happy with that.

Still on the agenda is a respray, guard flaring (and some 25mm bolt-on spacers for when I want the fully sik Jap spec look but don't need the handling to be sweet) and possibly some sideskirts so I can keep the original black sills but have white skirts over the top so you don't see the sills. Winscreen surround will be black. Apexi SAFC has to be fitted, last dyno run shows it runs realllly rich so leaning it off a bit ought to reduce the fuel consumption and maybe make some extra power

I'd like a hardtop (in black to match the windscreen surround), Bond Davis roll cage (powder coated black), maybe a lighter flywheel and a new clutch. Extractors would be nice but mainly for looks as there isn't meant to be much to gain over the standard 1.8 headers. Heat wrapped rather than ceramic coated or polished I think. Some new NA8 mirrors would be nice, getting kind of tired of the bike ones. The back would do with being a tad lower aswell. I'd be happy for it to look something like this red one

WWPBD

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneAsylum View Post
    first time i was in sydney, i asked the cabbie to tell a bit about the place. he said "this here oxford st, you see 2 man, they are poofter"
    Fuckwits Incorporated

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    Cute little car mate.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

The Volks look awesome. I'm bias though.

Cal.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

those tyres look like yokohama A539's good tyre, do loose a bit of grip tho after about 20,000k

Yeah A539's, thats the one.

Cal, yeah it was your car that made me decide they'd look the goods
    WWPBD

first time i was in sydney, i asked the cabbie to tell a bit about the place. he said "this here oxford st, you see 2 man, they are poofter"
    Fuckwits Incorporated

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    Ah Clubman those were some kidney belt wearing times....
    1jz Rolla Van ....... 10.5 at 134mph

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Top stuff, good read.
    I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to get one (so I can drive it not the skyline home via the twisties of a night, haha).

Dude, are there any more pics of the red one, that thing has a total f#ck off stance about it...
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe, and from this side only! The flight of a half-man, half-bird. Dinosaurs nuzzling their young in pastures where strip-malls should be. Cookies on dowels. All those moments lost in time; gone like eggs off a hooker's stomach. Time to die.
    - Phil Ken Sebben

Dave, nah i don't think I have any more pics of that red one, thats ideally how I'd like mine to look but realistically I need to do a toned down version because its my daily. So a bit higher, bit less camber and track, a lot less likely to get defected. But god I'd love to be able to get away with having it look like that one
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

Actually, looking at that red one, apart from the superlow ride height, I reckon my Buddyclubs would be about that far out in the guards if I put 5mm slip-ons behind them, they stuck out slightly with 205's on them. Hopefully I can afford some Tein Flex at some point, then I'll just need some 20 or 25mm bolt-ons. Maybe I could get away with driving it around like that... I did drive through the middle of the city with no muffler at all with no attention lol
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

Ages ago I added a fire extinguisher which we made a slick carpeted mounting bracket for

Bought some more wheels, Weds Sport 14x6 +20

Found a strut brace at a wreckers

The mx5-cartalk Voodoo group buy was next.

After umming and ahhing over whether I should get a rollbar due to the close proximity of my head to where the bar would sit I bought Alfadog's spare NB Bond Davis. Also swapped some 15 inch Watanabes I had left over from my Skyline for some 14x6 +14.5 ones for the MX5.

Recently ordered a set of Stance GR+ coilovers from the US, can't wait to get these in.

Next.... Hardtop, maybe some more power, maybe some more adjustable suspension bits. Probably more wheels.
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

Random question, which Mazda dealer do you use?
    Chris
    ------
    I cant get no sleep...
    AE86 race car thread is finally up to date | Supposedly i have a new daily project too
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    Mate, you change wheels as often as most women change handbags
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by takai View Post
    Random question, which Mazda dealer do you use?
    Err does that car look like I take it to a Mazda dealer?
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

So you could have bought my rollbar then? (mine sold for $385!)

Those wheels are much betterer. Keep them!

Could have, should have... But I was driving it as a daily at the time and my head really is too close to the bar, plus it makes putting the roof up and down a pain in the arse. Not a daily anymore so its less of a problem
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

Volks are back because I managed to get TWO flats on the watanabes in about 15km of driving since I put them on

Bike mirrors are off, finally found another drivers side electric window.

WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

Nice picture for nice car
    www.asiperformance.com
    wholesale for auto performance parts
    tony.wang310@gmail.com

I hear they've done up the ol' Duke pub?

Would that be the pub down the street from my house? Never been to that one, just the other five pubs on the street

I bought a hardtop on Monday night, been waiting a year or two to find one in Adelaide, saw one pop up on a forum and jumped on it, even though they said it was blue. I wasn't quite expecting metallic light blue though

I was planning on painting it black, but it seems like kind of a shame to respray a hardtop thats in perfect condition (late NB, demister, lining, not a mark on it), but it has kind of grown on me since then, I mean it wasn't uncommon in the fities and sixties to have a different hardtop colour to the body colour. Really need to get the red mirror painted white though, then paint the car
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

Oh yeah, I also bought these

and these

http://www.avoturbo.com/avoshop/inde...=5_154_348_342
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

There ain't 5 pubs on that street unless you walk all the way to the east end!

No, theres 6 from West Terrace to Hutt Street
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

Now I just need to do some hardcore guard rolling before putting these on for off-street events
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

Uber awesome wheels mate! SSR's? What offset?

And nice go fast bits too. This thread suddenly got hotter.

Forgot about that...
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

That turbo kit, is it literally all there for 4k? Just a matter of getting an ECU and bolting bits together?

Cooler, manifold, turbo, piping (though my kit is for the shape after mine so I'll need to change some of this), fifth injector, some fuel controller thing.

I think the whole lot is about 5 grand, or just the turbo kit for 4ish, so minus the fuel controller and the fifth injector?

It supposedly will work fine just using what comes with the kit, but I'm thinking I may go for a new pump and maybe four bigger injectors
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

love it.

first you make rough as guts to shake the hairdresser image (I assume )

now you are going to make it proper fasts.

good work.
    Public Service Reminder

Quote Originally Posted by boostin31 View Post
    I once 1/2 filled a powerade bottle with piss at a daft punk concert then launched it. I doubt the person on the receiving end even knew what hit them though.

I don't know why, but at some stage in my life I'd like to own one of these. the more dirty JDM track car look it has the better.

it should be great with the turbo. the idea of getting a proper ECU and bigger injectors all around would probably be a good thing, especially if more power is desired down the track.

p.s. instead of a turbo charging, people should be putting IPRA style 13B BP's in MX5s