Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 1994 NA8C MX5 Clubman

+1 vote for chris, if not him andrew milne is also a top fabber.

I was going to see if Simon Aram takes on small jobs
    WWPBD

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneAsylum View Post
    first time i was in sydney, i asked the cabbie to tell a bit about the place. he said "this here oxford st, you see 2 man, they are poofter"
    Fuckwits Incorporated

Cleaned it up, installed the rollbar properly for once, got new 195/50/15 ATR Sports on the Mk3 rims and tidied up the alarm siren under the bonnet. Even managed to get the battery replaced under warranty because its killed another one, but weirdly they checked the car for voltage leaks and it didn't seem to have any...

Car was running really well last night, after I came home from working on it at dads he took it for a run in the hills to see what the brakes were like and said it felt really good, and it ran very well on the way out to the track this morning. He had to sit in the car in the form-up area for an hour and a half while the first car in his team did its stint, would have driven me mad. Once it got out on the track it looked to be running really well, pulled nicely on the back straight and was a lot flatter through turns one and two than I'd expected, although it did look a tad skatey.

Ended up coming in early because the temperature had shot up, turned out that the top radiator hose split so I drove to Gawler and got another hose and we fixed that, topped it up and sent it out for another couple of soft laps to see if it was ok, but after a few laps the temperature shot up again so it came back into the pits. Filled the overflow bottle then poured water over the radiator for a few minutes to cool it and let it draw water in from the expansion tank, then we topped it up and started it with the cap off.... Fucking SPLASH, water went everywhere, so we put the cap on, then it popped one of the heater hoses, so we're pretty sure its getting air in the cooling system, possibly a head gasket? Weird thing is that the oil is clean as fuck, it hasn't even blackened from heat in the turbo, no milkshake under the rocker cover. Ended up getting it home on someone else's trailer, now to work out what it needs done to fix it.

I guess I'm glad it happened on the track, I'd been thinking about taking it to Winton for Skynats and the chances of me driving it before then are slim, so it probably would have happened on the way out there

Didn't get a chance to take any while it was on track
    Last edited by CXTdreamer; 03-02-18 at 09:34 PM.
    WWPBD

first time i was in sydney, i asked the cabbie to tell a bit about the place. he said "this here oxford st, you see 2 man, they are poofter"
    Fuckwits Incorporated

Off to the engine bloke's place, I'll wait to see what the verdict is
    Last edited by CXTdreamer; 03-02-18 at 09:34 PM.
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

A nice big PWR radiator should fix your problem.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Already has a nice big alloy radiator (admittedly not a PWR though) which is kind of a problem in itself. Going for the thicker radiator reduces the amount of room for the top hose to turn towards the passenger side, especially when you have the AVO kit, I've had a problem with the hose rubbing on the cast alloy inlet tubing that comes up from the intercooler and goes to the throttlebody, it had started wearing through the hose, which is what I thought was going to be the most likely cause of this sort of thing.

Turns out that the 'high temp silicon hose kit' that a bunch of us bought in a group buy on cartalk a few years ago isn't so great, all of mine were perished as fuck, top hose one split at the radiator end, then after I got another hose from Gawler and fitted it and put the car out for a few more laps one of the heater hoses split, I just never thought to check them since they were new like 1000kms ago at most.

I'm actually kind of looking forward to getting it back, I haven't been excited for this car in a long time
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

Aha, apparently the engine I put in has a later inlet manifold which places the throttle body further forward which is why the hose rubs, so I'll see if I can get the one off the original engine

Sump appears to have filled with water since the last time we checked the dipstick at the track, head doesn't appear to have any cracks but is pretty warped, pistons and bores seem ok
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

Got it back the other night, has pretty much a new head now. Spent half of yesterday changing three hoses that should have taken ten minutes, then flushed the cooling system twice before filling it properly. No leaks and no perished hoses now It did take quite a while to work out how to get some kinks out of the lower radiator hoses even after I'd made them the same length as the ones that came off.

I did notice some water bubbling between the silicon intercooler piping and the inlet pipe, so I'm thinking I should look at getting some of those wider reusable clamps instead of normal hoseclamps. Also it seems to be running super rich on boost now, I don't remember it blowing so much unburnt fuel before. Not sure if its because it was cold last night and the car was tuned on a 40+ day or maybe the Autronic needs the throttle position re-learnt since the battery was disconnected for a while?

I let my brother take it on a cruise last night since its currently living in his shed (and I kind of want him to buy it haha) and he said it ran really well, temp gauge didn't move etc
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

That ought to be better
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

That's got to go alright. It has the same amount of power in kw as mine has in hp
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Short, not so fat cunt. redbucket's Avatar
    Just read through from the start... far out you've gone through some wheels! Don't suppose you've got any sets gathering dust in your garage that you're willing to part with? haha

Nope. They're in my spare room, my downstairs dunny and I think there's some in my Civic Type R
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

Picked it up last night, only got a couple of 2nd and 3rd gear pulls in on the way home but you can definitely feel the difference, feels really solid. I'll find the boost curve graph tonight, I think it was holding full boost from 3000 to just before redline
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

Bye mate

Sad to see it go, but I won't miss always being on the lookout for cops while driving it. I got it to the point where it goes fucking hard though, even two-up yesterday with my fat arse in the passenger seat, torquey as fuck, new (also old, its the guy I got it from ten years ago) owner was verrrry impressed with performance, though a bit less so with paint. Hopefully he spends some time and money on that since mechanically its pretty right atm
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

Sad. I always wanted it too.

Such a cool little car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stix Z
    i'm upset i lost that video of that aboriginal woman taking a dump on a train that was on youtube
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    Sorry, am late to this thread. I have been protesting against whitey oppressors all morning with my people. I shall serenade this thread with my didge until nash comes in and puts it all into perspective.

Yeah, might have done a thing.

Got offered the car back at a very tempting price, it got defected a week ago for being too low and running too wide a track increase (8 +0's will do that...) so I've slashed the price I was asking for the Civic and stashed the MX5.

Once I can get it home I'll put the stock Bilsteins back in and remove the rollbar, then at some point I'll have to pull the exhaust, ecu and turbo kit. Hoping it won't be terribly difficult. Once its back on the road I'm planning on taking it to Mallala a couple of times and then working out whether I'll part the good stuff off or go back to turbo and look at getting that legal
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

Ok, civic is gone finally, and while I still have one more car than I have space for, I think I'd rather keep this than the Soarer.

Current state - Defected for wheels, which means full inspection, so turbo/ecu/rollbar and probably coilovers will be an issue.

Engine was given a freshen up when it went in with the turbo kit, but that was early 2010 I think. Had a new water pump, oil pump inspected, new seals, new cam belt and tensioners. Hasn't done a lot of kms since, and the head was given a freshen up in 2014 (just wish I could remember if the guy used a new timing belt or not). I'm guessing it probably could do with the belt and water pump and seals done again, but it might also be ok for a while?

I had planned on putting it back to stock but I've been talked into getting it legal with the turbo kit, so I'm looking at selling the Autronic SMC and getting a Link G4+, then it will need the intercooler mounted properly (its not terribly solid atm). I assume it might need another muffler, coilovers apparently might not be such an issue any more as it seems they pass them now, rollbar I can pull out.

I know you need bigger brakes to get it signed off but I just happen to have a set of front NB8C/SE rotors and callipers I've been sitting on for years. Unfortunately they don't fit under 14's, or possibly even 15's so I'm going to have to get a set of terrible looking 16's probably. I have a set of 16x8 Volk GRC's but they have a super high positive offset so would need spacers to clear the struts (so, I guess, after engineering). I'd also like to get some non-fucked front guards since I pulled the fuuuuck out of them years ago and they look ridiculous with standardish wheels.

I'm thinking I should probably order new wheel bearings and maybe lower ball joints, it could probably do with all the bushes too but maybe that could wait until I can inspect them, its not like it felt like it had much slop in it before.

Will also need a new pipe coming up to the throttlebody, the current cast AVO one rubs on my top radiator hose because of the thicker alloy radiator and obviously longterm thats not a good thing.

Anything else I should think about doing?
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

Stupid Photobucket losing all my photos from the last x years.......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14980664_10153812021276148_8445763298756022976_n.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	103990

Name:	13124524_10154793518373452_6076847194395942948_n.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	103991

Name:	10462837_10152082699276148_8380811691501492689_n.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	103992

Name:	10353033_10152082698281148_4958357699438231380_n.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	103993

Name:	mx5andep3.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	103994

Name:	10313691_10152014427551148_35166593424668040_n.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	103995

Name:	iPhoneUpload-13.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	103996
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

Got bored, ordered lower ball joints and front and rear wheel bearings
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

Bought a set of 15*6.5 Weds TC05's, pretty much the lightest wheel I could think of that should clear the bigger brakes without being silly expensive, getting them sent down from Qld probably via 31gun to get a bent inner lip sorted

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

Picking up a pair of front guards that haven't been rolled and pulled to high hell, I really did a job on the original ones when I was making 15x8 +0's fit with no rubbing, they look ridiculous with normal width and offset wheels.

I'm thinking when I paint it I'll do the windscreen surround in the original white instead of the current grey (that I like, but I'd rather put it back to how it should be) and then I'll either wrap or plastidip it dark grey. I've got a feeling I may need to replace the windscreen because of a large chip, kind of hoping I can get it off defect first so then its an insurance replacement, should have done that when it was registered and insured
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

Your lucky you only have one to work on. Good luck on getting it engineered, it can take a while.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

31Gun has the wheels atm, apparently the bent one was quite a bit worse than the guy described, probably should have seen that coming. Also picked up a full set of suspension arms, I'm thinking I'll get a full bush kit and clean these arms up so I can fit the new arms as the old ones come off the car.

Is it worth tracking down a set of NB8B rear brakes to match the ones I have waiting for the front?
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

have read from start to finish. enjoyed. I have an NA8 clubbie in Canberra. let me know if the turbo kit ever gets sold off. what kit/manifold was it anyway?
    ~~ ~~
    ~ (**) ~
    ~~ /\~~
    ~ mmm...stick boobies~

I'll have to see how I feel about it after driving it as a stocker again...

Finally got the space to work on it, so I went and pulled it out of its hiding place.

Liiiittle bit dusty

Loaded her onto the trusty servo rental trailer (and definitely didn't almost smash the tailgate window on the Falcon because we unhitched the trailer so we could wind the jockey higher and soften the angle of the ramps. Not sure why we thought the MX5 would be light enough to not make the drawbar jump a mile up and forwards...)

We thought we were way smarter when we unloaded it by opening the tailgate first, so the drawbar went up and then came down on top of the rear bumper, its a good thing we hate that Falcon.

Tucked it away in the back corner where I won't have to move it for a while

After letting it sit for a week I decided I'd better actually start doing stuff so pulled the guards and bumper off. I've taken the bumper bar off so many times I've got that down to a fine art (especially compared to the first time I ever did it) but I'd never taken the guards off before so I was pleasantly surprised to find that while there was a TON of dirt hidden behind there, there was no corrosion at all. Gave pretty much everything I could get to a good clean because..... may as well I guess

Removing the bumper gave access to get the intercooler and its piping out, I'm still impressed that a kit designed for a NB MX5 fitted perfectly on a NA

It became apparent that I'd fitted the cast intake pipe that goes to the throttle-body before installing the radiator, fans and top hose, but I really didn't want to have to remove them or dump the coolant just yet, so getting that and the stuff that comes off the side of it for the blow-off valve out was accompanied by a bunch of swearwords. It probably didn't help that we originally used a bunch of brass beertap fittings (because we built it at my cousin's place and his old man did beer tap installs for pubs so it was just what was laying around) which you can't exactly just pull apart from each other, especially in a confined space because they're all screwed together. But it came out eventually

It was around that point, after I'd pulled all that out that I realised I;d actually be able to see what I was doing if I removed the bonnet. Derrrr

Turbo manifold.... This could be a bit of a pain. Three of the top nuts were easy to get at, but I think I'm going to have to remove the turbo to get at the lower ones, and probably grind down and possibly bend a few spanners and maybe a socket to do the rest

Started on the interior next, pulled the rollbar out and refitted the rear deck carpet and the brace. I'm going to have to see if we can retap the thread in one of the seatbelt bolt-holes, the bolt was a cuuuuunt to get out and came out hot and covered in metal-filings. Must have been cross-threaded to fuck.

Also pulled the Autronic out and put the stock ecu back in, working out which way around the brackets go was almost the hardest bit. Still couldn't figure out one of them so just left it out and trusted the kick panel would do its job

Just need to find some small screws for the sunvisors and put the seatbelts in and the interior will be done, though I might pull the centre console out to clean up the window switches, they've gotten super slow again. I could take the door skins off and regrease the mechanisms too I guess

The current to-do list..

- Order new exhaust manifold gasket from Mazda
    - Speak to one of the guys in the forum that parts these things out and get a set of stock injectors, a non-thrashed catalytic converter, airbox lid and maybe a blower unit that doesn't have a broken hvac vent mechanism. Ooh, and stock NA8 springs, I've lost two of mine and don't know which two the ones I still have are
    - Get my axle-stands back from whomever I lent them to so I can put the car in the air and drop the exhaust
    - Take the turbo oil and coolant lines off, I guess I can cap the oil return at the sump and take out the t-piece for the feed, and I assume just loop the coolant lines together
    - Put stock plugs back in, and stock injectors, and reset the timing advance on the distributor (though its probably about right anyway)
    - Maybe reinstall the air conditioning, I still have all the parts I think
    -Press the old bushes out of the extra set of suspension arms I bought and then put the ones I ordered this week in, so then I can just pull the current arms off the car and put the new ones straight in
    - Fit my NB8C brakes, depends how much I want to spend on new rotors, pads and braided lines I guess, I don't necessarily need them unless I decide to turbo the car again after its back on the road
    - Get the fucker inspected and off defect

and eventually (when I can get a couple of cars out of the warehouse so I have space to erect a frame to make a booth) paint it so it doesn't look quite as shite as it currently does

I'm glad I picked these up, got the tyres I had laying around from when I sold my SSR Mk3's fitted on them yesterday

Its so small you can barely see its there haha

Last edited by CXTdreamer; 14-10-18 at 03:50 PM.
    WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated