Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Garage Takai IPRA AE86 (56k die)

Garage Takai IPRA AE86 (56k die)

Ok, im slightly bored at work, so i thought i would start a compendium of the IPRA car which i have and run.

I bought this old AE86 Sprinter thing in 2004 when i was living in Melbourne, because i remember seeing them run at Bathurst in the late 80s, and always thought they were pretty damn cool.
    It started off looking like this:

With more things wrong with it than you could poke a stick at. Nevertheless, it didnt have much rust in it, and was going to make a good little weekend racer/club car, which i was originally going to keep rego on.

As 2004 wore on it started looking less and less like the old road car it used to be:

But i was still going to put a good interior back in it, and maybe a half cage and just use it as a weekend racer.
    So i took the 4AGE out of my old FWD Corolla and started to work at RWDing it:

Meanwhile, coilover bits came, and more suspension and driveline parts:

Engines went:

And then half of the car went:

New Diffs came:

And then i decided that the stock sound deadening was too heavy:

Note the quality tools used in this photo *cough*

A bit later in the year i was up in Canberra for the snow, and picked up some trick bits from Ben Wilson (cheers mate), as well as my new suspension, and throttle bodies:

Later still i started shovelling it all into the car:

And thats where all my nice little plans went wrong.......
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Ok, time to continue this, despite the broken wrist, and stupid arse being able to type.

So about September 2004 i ended up in Canberra to visit my olds for the holidays and to generally chill out for a bit. While i was there i managed to catch up with a mate of mine from when i first got into cars. One certain indigoid. While i was there he thought i should meet up with mate of his who has a race car. A week or so later im standing in Tim Button's shed looking at his 1600 race car sitting there.

Somehow about 2 weeks later i started thinking about this strange thing called IPRA.

I put it off for a while in order to complete the car, but it was still on the back of my mind.

The junkyard called my workshop.

Had a few issues about how close the water outlet sat to the quads....

And fixed them:

Had suspension issues, and fixed them too

Got new gauges, and a bit of black drift bling.

It was tons better than the original black that was on there

Did the battery, fuel and struts:

And then the camera broke.

More updates when my wrist stops hurting from this batch of typing.
    Last edited by takai; 06-08-07 at 03:31 PM.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Where are the rest of the pics?
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Meh
    I endorse this product and/or service.

Will continue this tomorrow at work. Broke my wrist at the snow on Monday.....

Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

Fondles
    fark man this should be called the ladyboy thread,

all these sexy photos getting everyone highly aroused only to be let down.

kinda like when a person* in thailand takes a sexy lady home and after showers and getting the freak on only to find she had a penis......

grrrrrrrrr

* may or may not be one sir v8tfcorty...

No wrist guards?

Quote Originally Posted by v8tfcorty View Post
    fark man this should be called the ladyboy thread,

all these sexy photos getting everyone highly aroused only to be let down.

kinda like when a person* in thailand takes a sexy lady home and after showers and getting the freak on only to find she had a penis......

grrrrrrrrr

* may or may not be one sir v8tfcorty...

quoted so you can't deny it later!!!

did you find out by touching his/her/it's wang???
    Last edited by Cplus; 01-08-07 at 11:18 PM.
    Public Service Reminder

Quote Originally Posted by boostin31 View Post
    I once 1/2 filled a powerade bottle with piss at a daft punk concert then launched it. I doubt the person on the receiving end even knew what hit them though.

maybe i should do one of the gemini...........

fuck its been a while.

Takai looking good so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Smith
    The price of Man in motion is the occasional collision.
    Royalpurple Oils

The car is finished, if they ever are, he just has to stop breaking fuckin bones, fix the blown head gasket and get it back on the track for the November Class A battle
    SA IPRA cars 15, 51, 77 and 25
    (Sharperto Racing)

http://www.iprasa.mx.com.au/

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by charged View Post
    The car is finished, if they ever are, he just has to stop breaking fuckin bones, fix the blown head gasket and get it back on the track for the November Class A battle
    You forgot about setting fire to things
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

yep those socks can be a worry, air box FTW
    (Sharperto Racing)

No cup of water, no care...
    Social media marketing for the automotive industry (plus a motorsport blog) - www.boxthislap.com.au

Heh, i have about half of the next post typed up. Just a stupid contract that i need to write got in the way. Plus its damn hard typing with a broken wrist.

charged: without any unforseeable disasters (like breaking something else DH racing) ill be out in November.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

Definately 100% broken
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

Updated.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

I hear a sexy beast of a man rolled the guards on this for you chris

dont be fooled by the photos people...this thing is 100% shitbox...through and through

lol
    Last edited by MR 1JZ; 20-09-07 at 09:24 AM.
    www.vapeboss.com.au - big discounts for PF Cunts, PM me for a code

Bwahaha, yeah guards are rolled. Really should finish telling the story, including when it blew up.
    Ill get around to that soon.

Its not that much of a shitbox though, it does need some TLC though, but thats coming next year.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

I see no italics in the above post

you = teh lies
    www.vapeboss.com.au - big discounts for PF Cunts, PM me for a code

Whats happening with this project ?
    (Sharperto Racing)

I can remember reading about it yonks ago. Second the motion for updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stix Z
    i'm upset i lost that video of that aboriginal woman taking a dump on a train that was on youtube
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    Sorry, am late to this thread. I have been protesting against whitey oppressors all morning with my people. I shall serenade this thread with my didge until nash comes in and puts it all into perspective.

would also like updates, from another thread is this running a 3sge of some sort?
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Daily: Honda Civic EK1 Hatch

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Ok, ill get to updates. Ill put that in along with the "processing 40gb of photos in work time, cos im bored".

No 3SGE though. Missed every meeting this year due to either weddings or bucks partys.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

Right, so where was i?
    I think by this time it was about September, and i had put a fair bit of stuff into the car. Managed to source some wheels for it:

Which were supposed to be my track wheels

And it was running a Microleb at this stage:

Add one reasonably dodgy harness bar too:

Anyway, i slapped it all together at this point, as i was moving back up to Canberra for a while.

And off it went to Canberra courtesy of a mate who worked for TNT and slapped it on his truck for a case.

Up in Canberra it was stored outside my parents house for a night, before it was going into their garage. Anyway, within a night some prick had knocked off the Microleb. Plus the prick smashed the good sunroof i had in there Not happy jan.

Anyway, insurance came to the party and replaced the Microleb with a Haltech E6X and i wasnt too sad about the whole ordeal apart from it taking an extra month of wrangling.

While it was up in Canberra it got "tuned" with the Haltech by some cocksmokers (more on that later), and the neg camber RCAs were added:

Also while it was there i put a freshened head on it (no porting, only smoothing) and the 308* GroupA copy cams, with the TODA cam gears, and unfortunately completely forgot to take any photos (camera batterys were probably flat).

After that it went on another journey back down to Melbourne after the 3 months of contract were up.
    Here it is back home:

It got new boots:

And the now infamous socks:

While it was down there it went into Brown Davis for a half cage to be installed as per my original weekend racer intentions.
    Upon coming back, the roof and sides were touched up with paint:

And it looked pretty damn good, if i may say so myself.

This however is where things started on a bit of a downwards spiral.
    Firstly i took it back up to Canberra over Christmas (cheers to old mate again) and it started having a few issues with randomly stalling, and not cranking again. So after consulting with Ben Wilson and Mark i took it to Peter (i think its Peter) at AlfaTune in Fyshwick where we started finding a stack of problems. When it was originally tuned they had put the dizzy in 180* out, and had hooked up the signal trigger to the TDC+180 amplifier (which is meant to just amplify the trigger signal).

So here you can see the CAS within the dizzy, it should have been hooked up to the trigger on the upper right, but instead it was hooked up to the lower left one, which is a much weaker signal. Explained the crappy ignition i was having. Plus they had used scotchlocks to join the ECU wiring to the dizzy wiring, and these kept coming undone.

Anyway, after this i took it out to Wakefield which was great, had three laps pushing 1m14s before disaster struck. On turn 2 i was coming around the outside of a mini, which was doing signficantly lower lap times, anyway as the nose of my car is about in line with the B pillar of the mini, a guy in a 911 decides to try to go around the outside of both of us. Anyway what with the corner tightening, and the mini understeering a bit i got squeezed and the passenger corner of the mini hit one guard and the drivers wheel arch on the 911 hit the other guard... Not happy jan. Was only a light touchup though, and we got on with it. Later on the same lap i put the foot down slightly hard out of Turn 10, and heard a nice clunking and thunking from the rear. Turns out i had cracked one or many of the teeth off the nice 4.3 crownwheel and they had promptly jammed into the LSD center and messed the whole thing up. Flatspotted one of my tyres too when the entire mess locked up.

After a courtesy tow home, i replaced the diff with a 3.9 open center i had lying around and flew off to the Philippines for three weeks to help build a community center there. Thus ended 2004. More in another post. too scared about the forums screwing up and losing it all
    Last edited by takai; 19-08-08 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Fixing images.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

Ok, i figure that for this update ill document up to the next phase of its life.
    When i came back from the Philippines i went to get it engineered in Canberra, but before that Ben told me about a Khana which BMSC was running, i duly entered and this is how it looked:

Thanks to whoever took that pic.

Subsequently i got the car engineered, and it passed over the pits second time (first one was still a touch loud).

Anyway, i moved to Adelaide to finish off my uni degrees, and left it in my parents garage for 3 months until Easter as i didnt have anywhere to store it down in Adelaide.

Courtesy of Mr 1JZ i was able to store it in his back yard for a while so i had it trucked down (the only transport i actually had to pay for), and it arrived on a Friday. Now i found out that on the Monday of the next week (Anzac Day) there was a drift practice day, and seeing as i really wanted to get track time in the thing i decided to head along.

So off we went out to Mallala, and i found that i had a couple of issues with the clutch heating up along the way, but that was ok, and I got there eventually.
    Out i went onto the track and im hammering around for a couple of laps, completely sucking at drifting, until im coming through the kink (driving more like its a Supersprint than a drift day) and the throttle jams wide open going into Northern hairpin. So without being able to use gears to slow im pretty damn screwed so i pulled the electrical kill switch and threw the car around 180deg because i figured that if i was going to hit the wall i would prefer to hit it backwards (or the sand for that matter), but as i rolled to a stop i heard a small pop come from the engine bay, and very quickly found that smoke was pouring out from the drivers side.
    Out i hopped damn quickly and peeked in to find fire lapping around.

Now im sure everyone will remember this photo:

Which is the fuel surge tank, which i REALLY didnt want to go pop. So i emptied 1kg of dry powder into the bay, half onto that and half onto the quads where the fire was. Soon i also found out the strange fact that drifters dont carry extinguishers, plus i was "around the corner" out of sight of the fire marshalls. Luckily someone alerted them, and one of the local rally drivers was out mucking around in the rally car, and he was able to dump 2kg of AFFF onto it, before the fireys dumped another couple of kg of AFFF onto it.

I cant find the photo which was taken in the pits (Mr1JZ could probably find that, it was on NS somewhere) but here are a few of what it looked like as i started stripping it down:

I'm still grateful that the surge tank didnt go pop.

And that was the end of the first phase of my AE86's life.

P.s. ill update this again later, this is enough for today.
    Last edited by takai; 19-08-08 at 03:55 PM.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

pit photo would be http://www.dysfunction.ws/albums/Spr...3442.sized.jpg
    was one of mikey's pics

Yep, although if you can find the actual picture of it that woudl be good, dysfunction.ws was stolen off me by a website sniper...
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

Sorry to see things go sour, was looking great for a while there though.

So you moving the fuel system to the boot/under-carrige on rebuild? There is going to be a rebuild right?
    #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

Yeah, the rebuild has been done. That fire happened in 2005, ill update this thread again during the week as i get more and more bored at work.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

On one hand, I'm glad to see this kind of thing happens to other people

On the other hand, I know what it's like to go through this kind of thing where you often end straight back at square 1 after pouring blood, $ and time into cars.

Keep the story coming!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stix Z
    i'm upset i lost that video of that aboriginal woman taking a dump on a train that was on youtube
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    Sorry, am late to this thread. I have been protesting against whitey oppressors all morning with my people. I shall serenade this thread with my didge until nash comes in and puts it all into perspective.

Update. It's fun to relive stuff that has gone wrong with your car.