Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Garage Takai IPRA AE86 (56k die)

The inclinometer was all of $50 from ebay. I got it from this guy: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Digital-Angle...3%3A1|294%3A30

The side mounts on the seat will be staying, they are good mounts and cheap to boot (free for me). Im currently trying to figure out what orientation will be less likely to break in an accident.
    Last edited by takai; 13-07-09 at 11:02 PM.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

I think Bunnings still have them under a similar name (they are silver, blue and yellow i think?), I picked one up earlier this year for around the $30 mark from memory. Very, very handy, buy another one, mount it to a fixture to mount to your wheel/tire combo so you have a half accurate way to measure camber.

I couldnt find any at bunnings, and even the big stores claimed they knew nothing about them.
    Either way, with the design of the hubs in the AE86 i can just mount it straight off the dust cover
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

That is what im thinking of atm. Unsure whether to put the tabs forward on the rear bar mount. Im only thinking of it because i think it could make mounting the seat rails easier, although for the strength loss it probably wont be as useful. Will have to see how high the 25mm box section at rear is off the floorpan.

Thoughts?
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

75x75x3mm plate and some 25SHS would be the easy way to go with some weld in 8mm bosses.

weld the palte to the tunnel and then weld the 25x25 to the plate and then to a plate near the cage - if legal and then use the original bit for the front bolts.
    Last edited by F|sh; 15-07-09 at 08:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Smith
    The price of Man in motion is the occasional collision.
    Royalpurple Oils

Yeah, i was figuring plating each end of the SHS. Given that the front of the rails sits below the top of the crossbeam so i think ill add another crossrail below the height of the factory crossbeam and just behind. Where the green line is above.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

So i rearranged my day and came home a bit early this afternoon and got stuck into the rails.
    Here is what i have come up with sofar:

Not bad for about an hours work if i say so myself.

Pretty much level:

And that little unevenness can be adjusted out with the slotting on the sides of the rails.

And for GTSBoy, this is why im not going to bother cutting out the original crossbeam:

There is buggerall clearance under the floorpan anyway, and i need to have the seat raked back slightly to keep my knees up otherwise i have a hell of a time using the clutch as my knee locks up.

I havnt welded it in yet, as i need to remove all the fuel lines from the trans tunnel (not taking that risk) and remove anything which might be damaged by the welding sparks, cover windows etc etc.
    Im not sure whether ill relieve all the sides by 3mm to fit some plate in there, im sorely tempted to, but the front will be reinforced to the crossbeam, and the outboard side of the rear is 4mm thick anyway.

While i was mucking around the other night in the garage i mocked up where the brake bias adjuster will sit:

Ill mount it after i have finished welding in the rails.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

Not being picky Chris , but I would put a flat /thick washer under both the bolt head & nut/lockwasher to give the hex head profile more to "sit"on....cover the slot fully.

IMHO

-------
    Dave

Suzuki Mighty Boy / BEC Rear Mid mount Suzuki 1150cc 450kg Hillclimber [in the build]

Yeah, as per the not welded in bit they are just mocked up for now. will be run with washers and locknuts when its finally put together. Those bolts are only finger tight for now.
    Last edited by takai; 16-07-09 at 07:55 PM.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    Chris, what's the go with the front rail? Is the bit of box holding it up?
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

The front rail is actually 40x40x3 angle, and the box is holding it level until i weld it to the floorpan.
    Any concern Ben?
    Last edited by takai; 16-07-09 at 09:21 PM.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

going to mount the bias on the side of the tunnel or on a bracket??

less weight mounting it on the tunnel.
    Royalpurple Oils

On a bracket, too hard to reach on the side of the tunnel and interferes with me being able to grab the extinguisher quickly. I did think about that though.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

move the extinguisher?
    Royalpurple Oils

Cant really move the extinguisher and still have it in easy reaching distance (thats one of hte CAMS regs right?). The only place i can mount it other than there is right infront of the seat, and that causes issues on interstate tracks.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

Quote Originally Posted by from the badly worded book
    1. Each automobile in any competition other than non-speed events must be equipped with a fire extinguisher
    which complies with the following conditions and is properly fitted at a suitable location.
    1.1 Hand held fire extinguishers:
    (i) must remain restrained under an acceleration of 25G;
    (ii) must be capable of removal by the driver (or crew, where applicable) without the aid of tools.
    i'd move it so you can still reach it with the belts off.
    Royalpurple Oils

takai, heres what i did with getting the seat lower.

i copied whats on the pas. side and used 30mm rhs with roughly a 70x70x3 piece of steel either end, then put threaded inserts in...

I tried working around the lump in the floor but even with the seat as far back as i put it...my helmet would have hit the cage....i also cut the floor on the pas. side to get it almost on the floor.

I think i have a bit more room than you there, im a pretty small guy.

Just finished welding it all up:

I was a touch worried about penetration, but a quick check revealed that i need not be worried:

I plated the front outer weld, but didnt bother plating the rest. Reason being that i was welding to the existing seatbelt mount points, which are already heavily plated as so:

(from the underside).

I initially tacked it in and then bolted in the seat to measure. I now have about 2-3" of room between my head and the rollcage with my helmet on.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

you do know you should have pads down the the SHS and angle?
    Royalpurple Oils

What's the alternator off?

Nice car, keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by sssgtr View Post
    I think Bunnings still have them under a similar name (they are silver, blue and yellow i think?), I picked one up earlier this year for around the $30 mark from memory. Very, very handy, buy another one, mount it to a fixture to mount to your wheel/tire combo so you have a half accurate way to measure camber.
    Quote Originally Posted by takai View Post
    I couldnt find any at bunnings, and even the big stores claimed they knew nothing about them.
    Either way, with the design of the hubs in the AE86 i can just mount it straight off the dust cover
    Got two from bunnings today (so I can use one for the car and one for the rear cradle when it goes in) for $15 each on special down from $24.95. Very happy

Quote Originally Posted by HoonBoy View Post
    Got two from bunnings today (so I can use one for the car and one for the rear cradle when it goes in) for $15 each on special down from $24.95. Very happy
    Dammit - I was looking for them in my local Bunnings yesterday and couldn't find any...

They were not in the area I would expect, still in the tool section and same isle as the spirit levels, but near the chalk strings etc. Suprised I found them at all!

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    oh yeah while you're in there with the steel and welding and shit you can flatten out the floor under the pedals, unless you have done it already

Quote Originally Posted by mondo2000 View Post
    What's the alternator off?

Nice car, keep up the good work.
    Alternator is a stock 4AG unit, with a custom mount to mount it lower down out of the way of the plenum.

Nice, ill have to go have a look at my local Bunnings, see if i can get some more. Will have to convince them that they have them first.

Quote Originally Posted by shinybluesteel View Post
    oh yeah while you're in there with the steel and welding and shit you can flatten out the floor under the pedals, unless you have done it already
    I ended up rivetting a piece of aluminum under there a few years ago when i first did the car. Put skateboard "tape" all over it for grip.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

They were not in the area I would expect, still in the tool section and same isle as the spirit levels, but near the chalk strings etc. Suprised I found them at all!
    Both I and the GF (nopics) were both looking around there, I might have to try another Bunnings..

Quote Originally Posted by F|sh View Post
    you do know you should have pads down the the SHS and angle?
    Huh, none of the diagrams in the CAMS manual or any pictures of anyone elses car shows pads the entire way along the length of the SHS or angle.
    The butts are welded into the pre-existing 3mm pads which are part of the stock seat mounts.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Wilson View Post
    Both I and the GF (nopics) were both looking around there, I might have to try another Bunnings..
    I've got to go back to replace the exploding metal saw I bought at the same time... you want me to get some if they still have them?

Now that the seat mounts are done the next thing on the list of things to do is build a set of these:

The cheapest ones ive seen for sale are around $200, which i think is a bit exorbitant for a bit of sheet steel and some bolts. I have some 100x3mm plate which ill bend up the brackets out of.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

And they are for???