Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Garage Takai IPRA AE86 (56k die)

I have a really complicated question.

How did you get the garage taki watermark on your photos

Quote Originally Posted by profi View Post
    I have a really complicated question.

How did you get the garage taki watermark on your photos
    photoshop mate. just add the watermark image as layer and make it slightly transparent.
    Public Service Reminder

Quote Originally Posted by boostin31 View Post
    I once 1/2 filled a powerade bottle with piss at a daft punk concert then launched it. I doubt the person on the receiving end even knew what hit them though.

Not only that, i automated it as an action so i can batch do it too.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Arrrgh, this new caliper adaptor setup is going to be a sweet pain in the arse.

This is a stock AE86 strut and hub with FC caliper with an S13 disc, which according to DBA has a 49mm overall height.

This is a RA40 strut and hub, with FD caliper and S15 disc, which according to DBA has a 54mm overall height.

Now that sits a hell of a lot more than 5mm closer to the strut, and im not sure why. Looks like a whole bunch of measuring with verniers is in order.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

So i was really worried about the LCA not clearing the disc, and being forced to rejig it all. In the end i neednt have worried... too much:

LCA clears the disc, just. It actually sits within the disc for some of the distance, which isnt really an issue at all. But it does make building the caliper adaptor harder.

I also testfitted the V4s over the top, and breathed a massive sigh of relief when they cleared:

But only by just again:

That gives you an idea of how much the center clears, or more precisely how close it is. Remember that the rim bolts onto the center around those points.
    And it doesnt clear by much:

That pic also gives you an idea of how hard the caliper adaptor will be to make. Should be loads and loads of fun. I remember seeing a caliper adaptor which Linden at RoadRunner Fab did for BigPerm and so i might see if i can borrow that to model mine off.

Also as RESON8 correctly predicted, the caliper pins are too short:

Marcus is being a champ and sending the longer version over though.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

Ok, here are some horrible audio vids:
    Phone video in the garage

Qualifying :

Race1:

Race2 (with bonus insightful comments from Gav)

Video is so bad in the last ones because i killed the small lipstick camera by shoving 14v down its guts and instead im using a $10 Gawler DSE bargain bin home security camera in B&W
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

Looks like fun Chris.
    B&N Performance Engineering - 4Bangers & Mash Racing
    1978 LB Lancer IPRA Car - In the making LB Lancer 4G63 IPRA Build - Now up and driving

Yeah, it is a whole bucket of fun when its working, and a bucket of pain when its not.

I was going to be racing in the races last weekend, but the tyre supplier said they couldnt get tyres, so i cracked it and sold off the old front suspension and brakes early.
    At that point i was 110% committted to going to the new setup.
    Then all of 2 weeks later the tyer distributor said they could get the tyres again, and then i didnt have any front suspension or brakes.

Cut a long story short i havnt been overly motivated to work on it recently as it seems that i keep getting shafted.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

Motivation did come around last night though, pulled out the diff and disassembled it so i can put in the 4.7 CWP.

Also started playing around with the brake package setup, and semi sorted out the backing plate for the setup.

I also picked up a few M6x120mm bolts to use as caliper pins. Should be nice and good
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

So after a whole bunch of mucking around, i finally got around to doing some stuff on the car.

Firstly i got the seat back in:

And the height is much improved from the old rails. I wont be hitting my head as much now

Next up was diff out:

Ready to put the 4.77 in rather than the 4.3 thats there now.

Then i set to work making up some traction brackets to be welded on. Just formed them out of a sheet of 3x100mm and hammer formed it around a 50x4 square tube. Came out pretty reasonably:

Of course the only 12.5mm bit i have is absoultely rooted, so ill have to get a new one before i drill the holes in them.

Finally today i received a little package from Brad (bmak) which contained some RA40 caliper backing plates amongst other things:

They have been nicely cut out of 8mm plate, and tons easier than it would have been with a drill press. All the bolt holes are spot on. Pretty cool.

Thats about it for now. Hoping to drop the diff off to a shop in the new year to get the CWP changed over. Plus now that i have the backing plates i can start to prototype the rest of the brake caliper. Things are looking up.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by takai View Post
    Of course the only 12.5mm bit i have is absoultely rooted, so ill have to get a new one before i drill the holes in them.
    Garb grinder, make sharp..

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Nay, rooted like proper rooted. Its no longer straight. NFI how it happened, but its bowed by 2mm
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

Little update, i had a chance to work on the caliper adaptors tonight, and got some good work done on them.

Firstly i machined a recess for the hub to sit into the adaptor plate which bmak cut out for me:

Then i tapped two M12x1.25 holes in a pice of 12x50mm bar stock and bolted it to the back of the caliper, and then reassembled it all and jammed the caliper back onto the disc like so:

Now i was able to measure the distance between the strut adaptor plate and the bar stock which is bolted to the caliper. I was praying for a nice size that i could easily get stock in, so i wouldnt have to machine it up much..... and well the calipers came back saying 25mm gap... i couldnt believe my luck.

Next up i grabbed a bit of 25mm box section that i had lying around and jammed it in between the strut plate and the caliper plate, and voila:

Fits an absolute treat, so all i need to do now is to get some 25mm square solid and go to town with shaping up a plate to weld inbetween.
    In some parts of that strut adaptor plate there is almost 20mm to the outer edge, so im thinking of drilling an 8mm hole and putting a couple of 8mm bolts in to add compression force to the welds, and so i have something nice and solid holding it all together. What do people think? Should i bolt the 3 pieces together as well, or just trust the welds?
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

Got stuck into finishing off the caliper adaptor on Sunday. Ground up a piece of 25mm plate to fit nicely in the little gap:

Its only tacked together for now (and badly so since i couldnt get the head of the MIG into the gap and so i was welding with about 2" of wire hanging out the front.
    With it tacked together ill drill and tap some M8 holes to add clamping force and then grind it apart, bolt it back together and MIG it all up.

Rolling along nicely
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

After some consideration I think probably the Mazda MPV rotors will be a better option. For one it doesnt mean that i have a monstrosity of a bracket, instead i have something much flatter, as so:

Note that the big chunk of 12mm steel is only there so i can gauge where that flat plate is sitting. Its acting as an impromptu flat plane as i didnt have enough hands to hold the ruler and camera and a flat plane.

Secondly, it allows me to use the other set of Simmons V4s that i have had around the garage for a while, as they are +20s, and with a 15mm bolton spacer it brings them back to ideal offset and therefore scrub radius (stock/ideal is 0ish offset).
    As so:

Thirdly i wont be cooking the balljoint as much as i have been previously with the disc so close to the ball joint. 4 ball joints in 3 years is probably too much.

Therefore i needed to redrill the MPV discs to 4x114.3, which could be a pain, but here is a simple way to do it.
    Firstly machine down a chunk of metal (2011 in my case) to the outside diameter of the new disc, and then the old disc, in my case 72 and 60mm respectively:

Should look something like that

Then stack the discs ontop with each one being a tight fit with the location ring as so:

Finally, after lining up two of the holes (and using something to dowel them, not pictured here) use a transfer punch of the correct size to mark the disc below:

Then all you have to do is drill at the markings. Truely a piece of piss.

In addition i picked up some brackets yesterday to allow me to run slightly larger discs at the rear, some S13 discs infact:

Going to try and get aroudn to fitting the diff gears tonight. Only problem is finding marking paste.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

So tonight and over the weekend i did a bit of work on the MPV conversion.

First however, i did some work for BigPerm on his Cressida stuff:

Machining out tophats, oil seal rings into coilover sleeves, making little alu spacers and soon to machine his hubs down. Lots of fiddly things.

Inspired by that however i swiss cheesed the traction brackets:

So they are ready to weld on and then be trimmed to size.

And then setup the brake upgrade with the MPV discs:

Uses the stock RA28/40 brake caliper adaptor:

Which ill have to weld a 5mm plate to the inside of to drill and tap (along with a 3mm plate on the outside for extra tapping)

Coming together nicely, i would have welded it tonight, but i had shorts and a tshirt on and didnt want to make noise for the neighbours any more than i already had.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

Nay, rooted like proper rooted. Its no longer straight. NFI how it happened, but its bowed by 2mm
    Lathe + hammer = fixed?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Nah, just bought a new one, this one was pretty old.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

That still looks like a street car. Take it hills thrashing lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BTM View Post
    That still looks like a street car. Take it hills thrashing lol.
    You're cooked
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

is it going to be ready for twilight meeting on 27th?
    E36 M3 12.92 @ 108.64mph, N/A 3.0L

Bah, i wish. Even if it is i doubt ill be ready, first medical appointment i could get was the 23rd.

That said i got a little bit of work done on it tonight. Spent about 30mins welding before i ran out of gas

Welded on the traction brackets. Still need to be reinforced and then profiled nicely.

Also welded plates to the brake caliper mount, so i can drill and tap them. Ill be welding another pair of 5mm plates to this side that you can see here for extra tapping distance.
    Last edited by takai; 02-02-10 at 10:40 PM.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

One nice thing about having two cars to work on is that there is never a dull moment when you have nothing to do. So before setting about dismantling my 2JZ i welded up the caliper brackets, and after disassembly i drilled and tapped them. As such i now have a complete brake setup as so:

You can see here that it still uses the stock caliper bracket, with 5mm welded to the back side for spacing, and 3mm to the front for extra tapping depth:

Big thanks goes to Joel (TurboRA28) for his idea of using the stock bracket redrilled to suit.

And finally here it is all together with the RCA as i was still a little concerned that it might foul.

I also welded and gussetted the traction brackets, so they just need to be ground back and they are ready to go too.
    Tonight or tomorrow will be on the lathe setting up a bunch of spacer rings for the brake conversions.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

Bah, i wish. Even if it is i doubt ill be ready, first medical appointment i could get was the 23rd.
    Been keeping an eye on this brake build. Great to see the change in mounts for the brakes. Well done!
    You going for CAMS licence? i.e. Medical? Planning on racing? Which category?

I was racing in 3J, IPRA. But after i bought the house in 2007 i stopped racing for a bit to recover financially. That along with getting married and then being in Tanzania at this time last year sort of slowed down anything to do with racing for a couple of years.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

Just a brief update, over the weekend i got the diff back together:

And then today got it back in the car:

While i was at it i popped the steering rack out of the engine bay and started retrofitting that with the new Quaife rack (last one was faulty):

I added some bling to the engine and engine bay too. Firstly my little underdrive alternator pulley arrived:

And i decided to put the 2L catchcan that i had for the Supra into the AE86:

Thats about it for now. Gotta finish off the other caliper adaptor, and shorten the struts and convert to coilovers. Moving along at a reasonable pace now. Should have the suspension done during the week i hope.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

isnt changing oil filters gonna be really messy since you've got the remote filter adaptor sitting that way?
    /csh Racing

Yeah but there arnt many other places to put it. Other option is upside down basically where it is but spaced out over the chassis rail.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

Mount horizontally with a catch tray?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Any updates?