Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: VL street/circuit

VL street/circuit

Since ive been on this forum for a while now its about time i posted up pics of the mighty non swedish VL . I bought it as a completely std VL exec 5ltr auto and over the last 7 years have been hitting all of the vic tracks and its now at the point where its not really a street car ( its still rego'd) and is driven only to the track and back . Its always been a budget track car but over the last year its had a few upgrades and times are now a bit quicker than when i started , sandown and winton are now 8 secs a lap quicker!! .
    Pic as i bought it for 3k

First mods included a 5 speed supra conversion using a VC V8 pedal box and a little massaging of the firewall ( its now on its 4th supra 5sp) , 2nd hand pedders shocks/springs , HDT extractors ( to suit a manual ) , sway bar upgrade and a 3.45 ratio LSD and quick spin on the dyno pumped a healthy 93rwkw . Also upgraded the brakes to twin spot corvette calipers and 330mm rotors .

The car stayed like this for a couple of years as i just waited for the engine to die , little upgrades included better off set 16's ( always running on R888's) HDT cold air crap , strut brace etc.

Next was the engine rebuild

Full rebuild with the usual reliability add ons
    Ported VL heads , crane rollers , crane solid 272 cam , smoothed valley , performer manifold , holley 650dp , bigger extractors/zorst , acl's new oil pump etc. Made a solid 210 rwkw.

That one lasted a year before oil starvation at PI due to incorrect sump , it was rebuilt and lasted 3 events before spinning a bearing . This is where TK and PF came to the rescue and advised on bearing clearences , drain backs , high volume oil pump etc . Ive learnt a heap about making a 304 live now even though its not a healthy engine atm it will get me untill mid year i hope when i do another full rebuild but this time its getting shipped to adelaide to knights race engines ( hi Tony ) where hes already adviced to throw away the VL heads , get a torker manifold( check) and let him do the rest .

Pics in action

output

ive got more pics of fuel system , shocks and other stuff ill add later

adam
    Last edited by adamRSLC; 15-07-08 at 08:17 PM.
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    H/Hills hill climb 1.03.3(FG XR6T)
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Geee i bet thats fun to drive, by the pic i see you've discovered light arse lsd vl handling. Fun hey Ive got a turbo vl and man it does that easy.

Ive recently overhauled the entire fuel system from boot to engine having ditched the black carter pump and std fuel lines and installing a boot mounted surge tank to a barry grany pump with -8 lines to the carby and -10 returns to the tank .

I was able to install the new fuel log and return reg as one between carby and manifold

Also at the end of last year fitted bilsteins front and rear , using an idea HSVSUX emailed me firstly for the rear coilovers and then getting quadrant to make the fronts.

In action at winton

Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

later
    Looks very tidy. Looks like a BT1(police) pack, unless the 1" master cylinder was standard on VL 5.0 retail cars.

Well done Adam looks like a very neat car. It looks like you have some fun with the other Commodores at the wrx sprints.

Now I just have to finish my own Vh race car.

Thanks DJ , the cars mostly finished and just maintenece and little things to go . You building a proper "race" VH or just club stuff.

adam

Video of a good friend and myself at sandown last year .

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=2gfPIfDLru4
    Last edited by adamRSLC; 08-01-08 at 01:18 PM.
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

nice and clean, :thumbsup:

Im building it to improved production specs but it will be a club car for a while until I get the skills and money up to race.

Few more mods in the works , have removed and sold most of the driveline and purchased some 2nd hand hotness .

Enter ex VX LS1 and six speed . Power steer / aircon removed . It was purchased without manifold / injection / loom .

Fitting one of these

Dale from CHE has supplied me with an ignition only loom which should arrive anyday now .

T56 is a big gearbox especially compared to the out going W57 supra box .

Supra weighed 48 kg's and T56 72 kg's but the flywheel used in the supra was the std holden 308 one and wieghed 15kg! . LS1 is far lighter so maybe only a 15kg difference at the end .

Next is sump / new clutch / starter conversion and extractors .

adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Quote Originally Posted by adamRSLC View Post
    Supra weighed 48 kg's and T56 72 kg's but the flywheel used in the supra was the std holden 308 one and wieghed 15kg!
    I weighed my Top Loader the other week - 71kg with iron bellhousing and crossmember... Suprised the T56 is about the same alloy case and all.

Nice new purchase mate. How long before its in and running?

excellent stuff! how are you going to go with the starter and the rack?
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Hey jim , starter isnt a problem clearing a manual rack there is a little room to move . No space at all to run the extractors though , i thought you could sneak them between the steering shaft and chassis rail , but no way ( maybe one 2 inch pipe if that) so starter has to be moved for extractor clearence . Going to purchase the mal wood kit for $800 ish .

Datzed , still a few months untill skids . Sorting out engine mounts atm , cross member mounts look easy as its nearly lined up already . Then just have to hand over some folding stuff to finish .

adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Thumbs up

Fucken top set of wheels dude.

Simple, thorough and effective.

Sean
    Adjustable cam gears for 1FZ-FE now ready for sale - 10 degrees advance/10 degrees retard. Suitable for all variants of 1FZ-FE.

(adjustable scissor gear for changing separation angle between the intake and exhaust cams coming soon)

International sales welcome - PM me for pricing.

I agree with Supercrown, nice, clean and looks like a heap of fun. It looks like it will be even better in the coming months too

are you going to run a 4 barrel style throttle body or change it all over to a carb?

On the top of Mount Fuji building teh GT-R
    looks great, good see 8's set up for circuit fun

Looking good mate!

Good to see something different with the Carb LS1 -
    Also good to see a VL that is getting used for a purpose rather than just bling and chromies and all the usual shit people put on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by tandy ass
    Got a 97 cielo for free (I think i got ripped off)

Flopper , its going to carby to start off with as i have a 650dp i can start of with with and see how it goes . It really would like a HP holley 750 but depends on how it runs with carby to start of with , if its a real shitta ill fit a similiar set up too uncles project tonner which is the 4 barrel style throttle body if it runs fine ill go the HP holley .

adam
    Last edited by adamRSLC; 17-07-08 at 07:00 PM.
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Looking great Adam keep up the good work. Those other Commodores in your videos are going to have to play catchup.

Damian.

Spent some time dummying up the engine to just see what fits and what doesnt , its actually not a bad fit . The sway bar , crossmember and steering rack all clear with some room to move but not much though about 2cm either way .

engine bay pics

The plan is to sit the engine as close to the firwall as possible , i can chop out a little of the crossmember if required to gain maybe 2cm .

Engine mounts will be started tommorrow , it doesnt look to difficult but will be time consuming . Im just going to tack them up and get budge to weld / fold something up for me , he will make a template im hoping so we can make more if their is a demand as their is no kit for the VL --- > ls1 atm .

Dale from Castle Hill Exhaust modified the loom to ignition only , turned off all the safety's and supplied it all tagged and ready to go . Its a great job and i will highly recommend his services as everyone who's seen the loom has been impressed .

He also supplied the rip shifter ( i think of the 9 sec monster! ) and mentioned by reversing the "stick" it will put it in the ball park for the VL body . It required a little welding to turn around but is very easy . Dale even offered to modify it if i couldnt do it ! .

Ive got a starter conversion kit from Mal Wood on the way , the standard LS1 starter will clear however their isnt any room to run the extractors and its superclose to the rack anyway .

After looking at a range of clutches and being a little shocked at the prices ( upto $1700 for a single plate kit ) i figured due to my car being 400 odd kg's lighter than a VE and not doing burnouts a std holden clutch kit should be fine ( im running the std cam for a while) , its was cheap , has everything i need and if i cant hold on its no major loss .

Next is engine and gearbox mounts , modifications to the trans tunnel to fit the T56 which has proven to be a bit of a headache and the usual conversion problems that pop up .

adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

nice stuff dude
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

looks tops!!
    fark there really is no room for the zorst pics of the starter kit when it arrives?

What wheels are you running BTW?
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Could you have cut the guards and put the exhaust through them? or is that not allowed in circuit racing? Probably would have cost more to do properly anyway though.
    Quote Originally Posted by tandy ass
    Got a 97 cielo for free (I think i got ripped off)

Starter conversion has arrived , photo's taken . I went the mal wood version , its not really much in the kit . Gear reduction starter with brackets to suit , laser cut 6 mm steel plate and longer bolts and dowells . As with everything "clearencing" is required but i was surprised that the bell housing needs to be cut a fair bit as their is really no room . When i mean cut i mean that the starter gear will be visable from out side the box , i might be able to squeeze it in but we are talking under a mm of clearence.

As for exhaust , no chance on the VL body ( goes for VN too jim ) . I did see a VS track car on the weekend who left the starter in the factory position and squeezed some 4-2-1's in what ever gap was left , it was a great job but he made the pipes himself and spent about 2 weeks on the drivers side .

Out in front , its the rail that needs to be moved about an inch for enough room , cant really go through the guards as its not practical.

Jim wheels are now ROH 17 x 8's with a +45 off set , not light but compared to HSV stuff about 4 kg's a rim less. If you stick to 16's go the original walky's as the very light and clear the 330mm rotors and 2 pot calipers.

ps . Box is in , engine mounts complete and ive got some handy tricks and tips to pass on . Makes mounting the engine way to easy and gearbox fitting with little drama's

adam
    Last edited by adamRSLC; 01-09-08 at 06:31 PM.
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Managed to spend some time on it over the last couple of days and have knocked up and modified the engine and gearbox mounts , clearences are tight and after speaking to mal wood auto driveline angles are critical if you want the extension housing seal to not chew up in the gearbox in a matter of km's .

Engine mounts are pretty simple , just had a new plate cut by budge and modified the original VL V8 engine mount to suit . Engine is mounted as low and as far back as possible to the sump / cross member ( about 1 cm clearence all round) .

Gearbox needs some mods to get to fit , firstly remove ALL and i mean ALL casting bungs / mounts from the gearbox casing

This pic is missing another 5 pieces

The gearbox mount is a 6 cyl VL mount with the mount removed from the x member and two holes drilled to accept the T56 mount which uses the 2nd set of locating holes . Pics to come.

Mal Wood starter conversion

A bit of clearencing is required to get the plate to fit cleanly but nothing major , however clearing the starter gear is another matter.

As you can see a section of the bell housing needs to be removed and this was confirmed by mal wood after purchasing the kit . I dont know if the CRS kit needs the same mofication but worth checking.

Gear shifter is spot on , no issues here and the a std tailshaft from a trimatic VL fits perfect with NO mods .

The trans tunnel on the VL WILL accept the T56 without cutting , however the reverse lock out soleniod needs clearencing of about 1 cm to not foul the tunnel . It is a very very tight fit which requires the clutch lines to be replaced and re routed with some braided line. As a guide the bottom two rear gearbox casing bolts should be in line with the sill(sp?) panel under the car , the box is hanging to low if you can see them

Shifter position in car .

adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

excellent work!
    What was the starter kit worth? I had another look at mine today and can see there's no real choice.

Updates !! . No its not running yet , but i have some shiney new parts .

Ive been dealing a bit with high enrgy regarding a circuit spec sump and as they are keen to fit their new LS1 sump into the older shape commo's a deal was struck up for some R & D .

New sump and old sump

baffle and trap doors

side pic

The shear size of the sump extension had me worried as the std sump is a nice tight fit but didnt leave a whole lot of room for a larger unit and sure enough it foweled on the x members where the supports are so i gave it a little clearencing .

Next on the list was the extractors , as i mentioned before they are an off the shelf item and i decided to go the 4-2-1's as space is so tight as much room is required as possible.

With these pipes you have to relocate the starter motor as its in the way , ive now seen one done in a VS with leaving the factory starter and custom making extractors but at close to 3K its cheaper to just go with the conversion way .

Next is final fitting and adjusting and then start on fuel / ignition etc.

adam
    Last edited by adamRSLC; 16-10-08 at 03:37 PM.
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Adam - Is that white rolla yours too? If so, LOL at it cocking a leg last weekend on the 1st/2nd corner!

S

Sean i saw you last week but you drove off before i came to say hi ! , The rolla is my mates as we double entered , i managed a decent 1.01.3 in the little thing 1st in class .

adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adamRSLC View Post

ive now seen one done in a VS with leaving the factory starter and custom making extractors but at close to 3K its cheaper to just go with the conversion way .

adam
    Any pics of the VS?

Jim, when you read this, I'll do your extractors for under $2,500
    1jz Rolla Van ....... 11.6 at 124mph

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"