Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: VL street/circuit

Nah , VS was a track only but is out pretty often at club events in vic.

adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    H/Hills hill climb 1.03.3(FG XR6T)
    Bathurst 2.47.49

There's a couple of quick VS's with Holden based engines running IPRA here in NSW. I reckon they'd be a good thing as they are lighter than the VT onwards, but get the advantage of "late model" big rubber...

Would love to see an LS1 VS but i thought squeezing it in there would be a major pain in the arse...

Adam - Can't wait to see this thing finished mate !
    Last edited by Fatboy; 16-10-08 at 06:37 PM.
    Bogan taxi owner
    Budget APRA racer

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    Me too.

Did you keep a template of the engine mounts?
    "Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Yep have template for engine mounts , im being roped in for another LS1 early commo conversion . Ive got a few updates to post up but just waiting for extractors to get back from being coated as they needed some clearencing before i was happy .

adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

is it a physical template or a cad file?
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Ill check if its still on a CAD drawing , but ive got a template somewhere .

adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Yep still got it , do you want it in a cad file or pdf?

adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Pdf please
    "Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Pm me your email address allmtr and ill send it over.

adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

cad please!

Want a copy of my R32 caliper brackets for DBA019 rotors? That's in cad too.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

looking tops mate!!

yes my wiring guy does do great looms
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

Few more parts fitted over the weekend and just waiting to get the extractors back from being HPC coated . The pipes required some creative bending with an oxy to help clear the floor and the drivers side rail , the arent a bolt in but are close enough for a back yarder to fiddle with them to clear most problems. The do sit pretty much on top of the crank angle sensor so some heat wrapping of the loom is a must along with a the starter motor wires .

As you can see from the pics that with the manifold on it sits quite high requiring a hole in the bonnet and scoop which isnt a problem for me as its a track car anyway , the factory EFI system wouldnt have any dramas clearing bonnet heights . I do have a 1 inch spacer fitted in those pics but even without it it would be a close call .

adam

Should be a runner in a few weeks as im waiting on parts a few little things to finish it.
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Nice, very nice

Edit: thanx heaps for the email!
    Last edited by ALLMTR; 09-11-08 at 06:58 PM.

Adam, did you weigh the engine and box combo together by any chance?

Engine dressed is 250 kg( ish ) box is 72 kg's . I cant find much info on how much a std dressed 308 would way but it would clear 300kg's no probs .

adam

Dressed inc alternator , water pump , inlet manifold , efi hardare etc.

adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

be carefull with the CAS... it is very sensitive with heat... if it melts it wont run anymore LOL
    im a cunt

Getting close .

Fitted in the std radiator which is a 4 core jobbie in the car and bought the factory VY radiator hose fit and with a little shortening fits just fine . Holden in their wisdom left the rad in/outs for the V8 commo's in the same spot just to suit conversions how thoughtful ( or lazy ).

Ive got one of the old school autometer temp sensors with that rather large fitting that taps into the manifold on the holden 5ltr , its not very modern but works and i wasnt going to change it so had to find a place to jam it in . Hello heater outlet on water pump

That solves the water issues , now onto getting the coil packs to fit nicely . Clearence issues with the last coil pack and the brake booster surfaced as i have set the motor as far back and low as possible , im sure most people fitting the LS1 will have the same prob as it can only move a few cm's for and aft due to sump restriction . Ive managed to tilt and lower the last coil pack a little which gives enough room to allow for the motor to torque up without hitting anything.

This week will be modifying the dash as the factory guages have been made redundent , the LS1 wont talk to the rev tach , i have no speedo drive anymore as T56 is electronic , water temp is a guage and so is oil pressure . It will kind of be like Babalouis skyline but in a VL dash .Will wire up the loom as all the other wiring for starter and alternator is complete . Shifter is finished and is ready to go along with wiring up reverse lights and lock out soloniod.

adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

i hear this is running now??
    im a cunt

Dale is right and big thanks , first the pics

Couple of finished bay shots

Dale sent down a modified loom for me to get it ready to go and withing a few pumps of the holley it fired into life and settled to a nice idle , its missing a TPS ( fitting this week) so its a little fluffy to drive and im only putting around anyways . Its had a decent miss/back fire under light to medium throttle openings but seems to clear up the more i drive it and im really not worried untill the last sensor is wired up.

Its pretty exciting getting it to fire for the first time , always the concern of what ive forgot to do ! . Within a week or two it will hit the dyno and ill get it sorted , btw stock LS1's dont really sound that nice straight out of the extractors .

Everything works on new dash

Rev tach needs to be set to 4 cyl mode to work with the LS1 puter, hence the aftermarket job.

Havent got the car above 85 degrees to turn on the thermo yet as i think they go on at 90?? .

Gearshift is spot on and hydraulic clutch is way to light , im used to cable plus heavy clutch.

Little things to do are
    fit bonnet vent / scoop ( proberly walky one )
    lower engine another 7mm ( easy done , can adjust engine mount)
    track down small slave cylinder leak ( dammmmmm )
    profit??

adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Very nice Adam!!!

S

damm dude i could have set the tacho to work with your factory one, it is a adjustable output..
    im a cunt

Quote Originally Posted by 10sec_rx7 View Post
    damm dude i could have set the tacho to work with your factory one, it is a adjustable output..
    what factory tach - that looks like a clock to me
    Public Service Reminder

Quote Originally Posted by boostin31 View Post
    I once 1/2 filled a powerade bottle with piss at a daft punk concert then launched it. I doubt the person on the receiving end even knew what hit them though.

good point.... lol
    im a cunt

It HAD a tach , but i couldnt bring myself to hack into the std dash ( its worth money in commo land ! ) , so hacked the clock dash instead .

adam

ps , too late Dale
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Much better this way anyhow ... no speedo means no scaring the fuck out of yourself when you're giving it the boot on the track.

From what I remember the VL dash speedo cable is a real cunt to connect up anyway.

If you really want to know how fast you're going, count the revs.
    Sparta, Rome, The Knights of Europe, the Samurai. They worship strength, because it is strength that makes all other values possible.

Han, Enter the Dragon

verry nice

what size sway bars you run on this thing out of curiosity, your spring rate would be rather high wouldn't it as well?

looks great Adam! the blow by catch can looks tops, are you going to run a drain back on it or just empty it periodically?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    looks great Adam! the blow by catch can looks tops, are you going to run a drain back on it or just empty it periodically?
    Ill just empty when required jim , ive got a provision to drain back but the oil that gets trapped inside isnt something i want back into the motor as the condensation makes a mess of it.

RB30 . Im running a std front sway bar ( Fe2) and no rear bar , front rates are 580lbs and rears are 350lbs . Ive got an assortment of bars ive played with and atm this is the best compomise and most neutral handling , its also the quikest setting atm on most tracks . Running a rear bar makes the car pointy and very tail happy , bigger front bar ( 32mm solid) makes it u/steer like a pig on slow/medium corners . Its always a balance and its neutral to understeer atm and im happy with that , chasing oversteer is fun ( and a little faster) untill you throw it off the track.

adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

it's funny you know, but i was reading a bit yesterday into it and old mate on his early commo runs no bar on the rear either, reckons traction becomes an issue with one as the wheels can be off the ground.

tell me this, a rear bar can only effect traction around a corner right, straight line it should have zero effect bearing mind a flat road surface?
    Last edited by RB30-POWER; 31-12-08 at 01:59 PM.