Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: VL street/circuit

If you have big power then a rear bar can help in a straight line as it will want to pick up the passenger side of the car more then the drivers side, stabilitly will be much better with soft drag tryes and big hp with the bar on then off. Look at how much was spent on the sway bar for the CHE Commodore for an example.

adam, have you been adding up the costs for the conversion at all? I'd be interested in knowing what the total cost was.

Ive got it costed pretty much to the cent , ill have a look what im up too but bare in mind my car is soon to be deregistered and not driven on the road so i can get away with a few "legal" requirements which save a fair bit of the folding stuff.

Its been built on a budget and 90% of it was able to be done at home with basic tools , its a very easy fit into an early commodore as major things like extractors , starter conversion is off the shelf and dont forget CHE who can sort out the electrical side with no problems either.

adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    H/Hills hill climb 1.03.3(FG XR6T)
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Quote Originally Posted by HoonBoy View Post
    Look at how much was spent on the sway bar for the CHE Commodore for an example.
    in its old state there was no sway bars front or rear...

the new rear one is costing about $850.... and there still wont be one on the front!
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

so what is the reason for a sway bar on a drag car? something to do with torsional loads through the diff?
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Daily: Honda Civic EK1 Hatch

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

stop it twisting in the back end,
    im a cunt

cool makes sense
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Daily: Honda Civic EK1 Hatch

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Quote Originally Posted by adamRSLC View Post
    Ive got it costed pretty much to the cent , ill have a look what im up too but bare in mind my car is soon to be deregistered and not driven on the road so i can get away with a few "legal" requirements which save a fair bit of the folding stuff.

Its been built on a budget and 90% of it was able to be done at home with basic tools , its a very easy fit into an early commodore as major things like extractors , starter conversion is off the shelf and dont forget CHE who can sort out the electrical side with no problems either.

adam
    I have four cars, only one is registered and that is the way they are staying, I give no fark for rego! It's more a curiosity question anyway, I don't have the time or money to put one in anything at the moment.

Finished setting up the TPS switch and the difference is impressive , engines like timing!! .

Another big thanks to dale (castlehillexhaust) for some questions answered on saturday regarding the TPS . The switch is from a 2.6 magna and is faily compact 3 wire switch which isnt hard to adapt to the Holley carby , quickly set it to read .50 amp on idle and away we go .

Quick spin around the block and while it doesnt turn the tyres of idle like the old 5.0 it really gets going up top and loves a rev . Its strong(ish) low in the rev range for a LS1 but thats due to the VL waying stuff all , should be around 1190kg when finished. Its also very responsive with the carb , revs up quicker than the EFI version does .

Finished , but fuel lines will be re made this week for more clearence .

finished car , looks road legal kinda

Things to complete before dyno .

Ive had to re wire the thermos as its a negative trigger from the computer so still need to check if it works.

Car doesnt want to idle for over 30 secs , it just dies slowly . Its timing related and ive adjusted the TPS correctly so ill have a look on the dyno using VCM suite to see whats the biz.

Ive also managed to fry the alternator by accident , dam. I unplugged the wire that tells the dash light their isnt any voltage and it must have earthed on the body so alternater isnt charging and no dash light at all . Most likely the regulator .

adam
    Last edited by adamRSLC; 08-01-09 at 06:46 PM.
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

nice work mate

when it is slowly dieing if you crack the throttle does it rev up and then go back to idle again??

if so i would suggest putting a little more fuel in the idle, just wind the idle bleed screws in a full turn on each side and see if it idles for longer
    im a cunt

And trim the tps bracket down man! Aluminium has a similar density to concrete
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Quote Originally Posted by 10sec_rx7 View Post
    nice work mate

when it is slowly dieing if you crack the throttle does it rev up and then go back to idle again??

if so i would suggest putting a little more fuel in the idle, just wind the idle bleed screws in a full turn on each side and see if it idles for longer
    Yep , spot on dale I figured it was either too much/ not enough fuel and will have a little play on the weekend.

Muz , 4mm alloy plate was all i had lying around .

adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

lookin' the goods now!

Where does the motor sit in relation to the centre of the strut towers? It's a little hard to tell in the pics, but it looks like the strut centre is in line with the 2nd rearmost coils? I managed to get mine back so the motor is pretty much centre to the struts.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Yeah , 2nd rear most coil pack . I would have liked to do it more like your car as you have really got it back to the firewall , ultimately though the more you move it back the more it costs . Custom sump , custom extractors , tailshaft mods along with transmission housing "clearencing" , it all adds up .

adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Looking good man, before you spend too much time sorting the jetting you gotta cut that choke horn off the carb.
    A hacksaw will do, but it should preferably be blended & smoothed into the carb top & throats - it's worth HP & response.

Thats on the list tony , i just wanted to check on if i could still get away with the 650DP on the std LS1 motor or if bigger was required. I must say it feels very crispy even as is compared to an EFI set up . Driving my mates VX malloo compared to this car is chalk and cheese , 500 odd missing kg's will do that though .

adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Quote Originally Posted by adamRSLC View Post
    Yeah , 2nd rear most coil pack . I would have liked to do it more like your car as you have really got it back to the firewall , ultimately though the more you move it back the more it costs . Custom sump , custom extractors , tailshaft mods along with transmission housing "clearencing" , it all adds up .

adam
    yeah tell me about it, my budget has been blown out of the water US navy style.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Car has been dynoed and returned a respectable 215 rwkw , looks like the little 650dp is struggling to keep up as it has some negative manifold pressure at wide open throttle from about 3k up and the carby cant hold a solid fuel mixture as the more it revs the more it leans off . It will stay carby as it drives as per factory ( ish) and has great throttle response not to mention the torque it has using this inlet manifold , it will easily turn the tyres in 2nd from 3k onwards . So very happy with the result , im looking at either a proform 850 or HP 750 holley to upgrade too which should get close to 230 ish atw , job done.

Been needing a tow car as this is now unregistered and following the PF guide a AU wagon on gas didnt really appeal to me , so went for the next best thing .

Couple pics of the new hotness .
    Picked it up 2nd hand last week .

First impressions , the A piller is too big and hinders corner vision , traction control is as subtle as a sledgehammer , it is one big mother of a car and auto whilst doing the job doesnt compare to the ZF ford 6 speed . Good points are heaps of stomp , high 13's for fuel consumption , good steering and can tow 2.1t legally .

. Ive just got to fit the HD tow bar and rear sensors for parking , also looking at fitting height adjustable seat belts .

adam
    Last edited by adamRSLC; 12-02-09 at 05:30 PM.
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Why can't you get the carby to hold mixtures up high? What did you try?

Is it fast?
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.

750HP FTMFW.

That'll wake it up.

The car is fast muz dont worry about the conversion its well worth it in the end , top end HP is strong as and its still a std engine . Its all about the lack of weight compared to the fat arse VT-VE commo's .

Muz , im not exactly sure why the carby cant flow enough im not that into it , i just know how to set idle mixtures and change the jetting. The tuner gave some valid reasons and is bolting his 750 HP onto it to verify .

TK , 750HP looks about perfect for my combo but i need the street version instead of race due to my TPS switch needing a throttle shaft on the other side of the carby to bolt to . Race version seems the throttle shaft doesnt go through the carby .
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

I love this thing, nice work fella !

Any chance you could've fitted the carb + air cleaner under the bonnet without cutting a hole ?

And nice VE by the way - they are sexy for a late model Commodore...

Oh yeah - want this moved to the Racers section now ?
    Last edited by Fatboy; 13-02-09 at 07:26 PM.
    LSA for towing, APRA N15 for going...

Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    I love this thing, nice work fella !

Any chance you could've fitted the carb + air cleaner under the bonnet without cutting a hole ?

And nice VE by the way - they are sexy for a late model Commodore...

Oh yeah - want this moved to the Racers section now ?
    Its not far off from fitting under the bonnet , about 2cm from the front of the carby and im not sure if the HP holley is any more compact . I can lower the engine only about 7 mm until its sitting on the cross member , but im not worried ive got a walky bonnet to fit which cover the aircleaner and give me some bonnet venting from behind the radiator .

Yeah chuck it in the racers section , ive just got to set some quicker times in it now . I took off the plates today and now can really get stuck into making it track only ( perpex windows / no heater / radio etc add fuel cell )

adam
    Last edited by adamRSLC; 15-02-09 at 08:36 AM.
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

out of curiosity do you think your stock ve would munch this thing around the circuit at the moment or no hope?

VE wouldnt get close , it makes a nice street car as it turns well for a big shitta and has good feel through the steering but it feels heavy and anything above 7/10th driving it tends to fall apart a little ( understeer / lots of body roll ) but is has excellent power down . I saw a few VE's run 1.32's at sandown , the VL should go a 1.24 so big difference . As a street car the VL is hopeless and verging on dangerous , way to much power , poor power down and big bumps throw it around something fierce .

adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Yeah the window winders and door trims add up to friggen heaps. Plus the glass is incredibly heavy.

I reckon that is probably the best aspect of having no road rego/ weight removal.
    Retard Honour Wall.

cool , im hanging out with jim now in the racers section !!

adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

shame mine is still spread evenly across my little workshop
    Great to see it up and running mate, you'll have to post pics and vid from it's first event!

I see this thing was out at Sandown on Anzac Day...

Report?

Thats well spotted , you didnt have anything to do with the mega 260z by any chance?

Glad to be finished the first event i must say , plenty of hours spent at tyrepower reservoir in the last week . The day went very well , first a 1.26.4 was reeled of quite easily just using the top end HP of the new combo . Engine ran well , no breathing/fumes/oil or rods looking for daylight . Car has a different power band compared to the 5ltr but dale put a good tune in it so ran spot on all day , you can notice when it runs out of carby as the power whilst strong tapers a little over 4k revs .

Only problems was a selector issue which i sorted quickly and a broken exhaust hanger , so im a happy man . Handling is a bit average atm as the 5ltr set up hasnt really transfered over well to the lighter LS1 but its ball park so a spring change and maybe fitting a rear bar might help it turn in better .

pics

im off to change my leaking master cyl. now

Jim , mate trust me LS1 in the VN is going to be a rocket , mines a full std engine and it doesnt hang around at all . 4th gear is 1.1 like the supra and i was picking it a good 70-100 metres earlier than with the old combo .

Also , one for dale it seems to be running pretty cold . Putting around its all good between 90-95 but after a few flat out laps its around 80-85 and im sure that the LS1 is designed to be around the 90 mark . Should i block the radiator a little or i can get away with this.

adam
    Last edited by adamRSLC; 27-04-09 at 04:32 PM.
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

80-85 is perfect mate...

if it goes under 80 fit a slightly hotter thermostat
    im a cunt