Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: VL street/circuit

Update time .

Just completed the Phillip Island 6 hour last weekend under team "AutoCure Motorsport " with sponsers Tyrepower Reservoir and Procal Dairies , what a massive event! . Having never completed in a regularity before it was a big learning curve with consistant reliable speed being the objective and outright pace not required .

The LS1 performed perfectly with the only issue being a drive belt falling off in practice , come race day it belted out close to 40laps all between 2.02 ( nominated time ) and 2.05 . It used on average 2 litres of fuel per lap and i kept top speed down to about 200km/h down the front straight .

Being the first time our team has entered we didnt dail in the correct lap time for a few cars and the reulting penalty laps killed our overall result coming in 27th out of 50 entrants .

DJ354 was also competing with his team and happened to be next door and i think finished up overall higher than ourselves , i even managed to find him on the track at one stage but as their was a heap of white corollas im not sure if it was him !.

couple of pics of team autocure

adam
    Last edited by adamRSLC; 11-08-09 at 03:52 PM.
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    H/Hills hill climb 1.03.3(FG XR6T)
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Nice collection of commodores there,the yellow vh is mint

Good stuff Adam The weather held out too - I was worried because it'd been shit earlier in the week.
    40 TEAMS entered was huge though - props to the organizers for doing an excellent job!

I was told an Excel team won the event?!
    Apparently they were all dead stock too...

The old boy was down there watching.
    One car from the Sprite team lost a WP pulley, so the old boys Sprite was cannibalized so the competing car could keep going

Lurch i got some pics of a mental 240 zed , red one ( you proberly already know him ) 200 rwkw no turbo's just a efi L28. Zed was very clean and finished off well.

Excel team was the rally cars and yes they one , no penelty's = win . IF and its a big IF , we got no penalty's( we got heaps ) we would have easily come first with all the bonus laps we got ( proberly most of the other teams also would have won too ! )

adam

adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Yeah it's the penelty laps that kill the result.
    And it doesn't make it easy with all the other cars on the track...

I believe that red Zed was prepared/driven by Peter Macdonell - it's not slow!
    Normally does 1:52/1:53's round the Island...

50 teams actually Mr Lurch
    The Sprites ended up 9th, not bad considering the 20 penalty laps. It's penalty laps that kill things as you both say.
    The track looked very busy at times, I was surprised there weren't more incidents, but I guess everyone was taking it easy because it was a regularity.
    There was what looked like a one off build Clubman with an LS1 down the timing tower end of the pits near the old porsche teams, it wasn't an Elfin, the LS1 looked a pretty neat fit

Quote Originally Posted by adamRSLC View Post
    Yep have template for engine mounts , im being roped in for another LS1 early commo conversion . Ive got a few updates to post up but just waiting for extractors to get back from being coated as they needed some clearencing before i was happy .

adam
    Any progress on this "other" car Adam ?

I know a few people are thinking of doing an LS1 conversion on early model Commodores for IPRA - interested to see if your mounts are suitable ?

P.S - What diff are you running ? Any dramas with axles etc yet ?

Cheers,
    Paul...
    Last edited by Fatboy; 25-08-09 at 10:52 PM.
    The older i get, the better i was...

Yep , other car ( VH ) engine / auto is in but he went for the CAE engine mounts as he couldnt be bothered waiting for me to get around their!. They are pretty decent and mount the engine a little lower ( about 5mm) then my modified hoolden ones . We have fitted up the extractors ( which they have stopped making and will sell you the bends only now ) abd had to stuff around with steering racks to maintain p/steer in this car .

Regarding extractors , it seems CAE have cracked the sads due to complaints about fitment into to early commos for the LS1 and have stopped making them . A few points if i may , they arent a bolt in extractor per say . As old commos have been belted sensless for years i seriously doubt you would find two that are identical , holden engineering back then wasnt great and plenty of smashed V8 commos around all lead to fitting issues .

I do think they are still a great extractor for a cheapish way to get the engine in the car , nothing an oxy and some imagination cant fix . The VH ended up running a VL k frame and VN/VL combination p/steering rack . P/steering line from the VL worked fine to the LS1 pump . If running a manual rack i suggest a VL K frame and rack into any of the early commos with this conversion as they are a good compact unit and leave plenty of room for said pipes .

Paul , VLt of VL5ltr diffs are a good thing . Still running the original diff but have replaced the LSD once and it needs another one soonish , friends have 9 second drag VL's with 10 inch slicks/transbrakes and dont break them so ill stick with it .

adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Small update as ive been getting the car ready for winton on the 10th ( wrx day ) of october .

Finally got the 750HP sorted and running very well on the LS1 , it seems the idle fueling issue was related to the rear air adjuster/correctors . Im not sure what the carby was set up for but proberly a pretty big cammed engine as the rear adjusters were too small and had been restricting the amount of air causing some rich idle mixtures and fouled plugs .

Problem fixed and engine is super crispy with the HP on it , its not on the same dyno as last time but made an easy 200rwkw before the ever softening std valve springs called enough .

So mods for next year will include a cam upgrade and some valve springs as this LS1 just refuses to die despite my best efforts , such a good engine .

Any recommendations for cam specs . Keep this in mind though , i would like to not rev it past 6k , the exhaust is a try y design running into twin 2.5inch pipes into single 3 inch but might go twin 3's in the future and manifold has an operating range of 2000-6500rpm . Im running a std T56 box with 3.7 ratio diff so most gear changes drop back to 4k revs from 6k and its a very light car ( just under 1190 kg .)

Im thinking 222/224 and 12 degrees LSA but maybe a little to big for a 5.7l.

On a bling note if got a new set of wheels ROH racelines , 2 kg per lighter the previous wheels and an offset that will allow a 245 tyre to be fitted if required.

adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

222/224 is a gay small cam...

i have a 232/234/112 in my daily...

i have a cracker of a cam that makes as good as stock bottom end with killer top end that i can send down to you,
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

Have you got rid of that hideous Wankinshaw thing on your bonnet yet?

Also, will see you up at Winton next month, hopefully I won't have alarm problems this time around.
    Sparta, Rome, The Knights of Europe, the Samurai. They worship strength, because it is strength that makes all other values possible.

Han, Enter the Dragon

Dale , ill call you at the end of the season ( dec ) and we can chat about my small gay cam .

Kaiser , bonnet vent stays as filter/carby doesnt even come close to clearing bonnet . Ill color code it in the new year , will look very pretty then. See you at winton .

adam

ps. yes i noticed the WANKinshaw bit
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

hahahah we wont be putting a small gay cam in it...

if i was you i would be putting some valve springs in it now tho, not hard to do on the car as well..
    im a cunt

Solution to this problem is EFI...
    Sparta, Rome, The Knights of Europe, the Samurai. They worship strength, because it is strength that makes all other values possible.

Han, Enter the Dragon

put this same cam in a VE today... with my exhaust, intake and tune... 329rwkw... does about 300 on a good ls1 with a real good exhaust etc etc
    im a cunt

Valve springs will be soon , recommendations? . Its laying over pretty bad on the dyno at about 5k rpm.

adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

stock cam always dies out above about 5300...

some PAC singles will do the job.. got a few sets at work if you need some...

dont put comp springs near it...
    im a cunt

Quote Originally Posted by 10sec_rx7 View Post
    does about 300 on a good ls1 with a real good exhaust etc etc
    Sounds good to me

Last track day for the season was at winton on the 12/oct , again was a very well run WRX club event with plenty of laps available and a few super sprints thrown in for good measure .

Lowered my PB down to 1.39.50 and ran a heap of sub 1.40 laps so its pretty consistant . A few of the commos are having trouble dailing the cars into winton as we dont have a big range of track adjustable parts to play with , i tried a few sessions with a std rear sway bar but it didnt end well and once i removed it took a second of my lap times . Going to have to look into making the car a little more adjustable on the track .

The now close to 100 lap ( and 150,000km )old LS1 performed well with the 750HP on it and i was able to pull a taller gear for some of the corners but the valve springs are a MUST to be changed as valve bounce at anything more than 5500rpm in all gears isnt great , so ended up not reving it hard at all and using the bottom end to drag it around.

Grabbed some in car from budges black VB and in all fairness to him he had a shocker of a day , he recently fitted a cage and is really struggling with the balance of the thing and combined with the locked diff is a real handful as the video will show . The car has run a high 38 before so it just needs to be sorted more .

Video form VB with a few commos sneaking past .

( ill embed it in a sec once i work it out )

Plans for next year will be

Paint bonnet scoop / nose cone and fit new front bar/group A spolier

Fix valve springs and fit new exhaust ( has a single 2.5/3 inch street system )

Most likely off the shelf adjustable sway bar but will look at some custom in car ones .

Would love to fit a 1.5 way diff centre as i drove a 2 way and it pushed a bit much in my opinion or really turn it into a u/steering pig and mini spool it ! . Ive had to change my lines a bit at winton ( late apex as much as possible ) to help load the diff evenly as it wants to single wheel everywhere even in 3rd gear off tight corners.

pics

black VB
    Last edited by adamRSLC; 14-10-09 at 01:56 PM.
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Couple of small vids from winton track day .

1st is first time at winton with a rear sway bar fitted , made the car nice and pointy to turn in but lift off oversteer from about 130km/h onwards . Ran out of talent through the sweeper and ran into/over a ditch .

ONe of the cleaner 1.39.5 laps , looks slow but i was trying .

adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Didn't think Winton had so many slow/sharp corners, yuk. Good vids, would be better still with the camera mounted further forward.
    Richard's DatsunZ lappin LakesidZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OSh...&feature=g-upl

“Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit.”
    ― Jim C. Hines

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
    ― Daniel Patrick Moynihan

“Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets..”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Ok im out to calder on sat evening and have been playing with the VL over the last few weeks .

Out went tired old valve springs and in some single beehive's , while at it the timing chain was pretty flogged out so put in a rollmaster double row and spaced the oil pump to clear it but no mods to the timing chain case .

Also grabbed a 2nd hand 224/228 @ 113 cam from a mates car and 4 credits later and some time with VCM suite it punched out a solid 50rwkw gain across the board .

Only downside is to space the oil pump i had to drop the sump a little which has upset the sump gasket and the oil is choosing freedom instead of staying in the sump so crossmember is being dropped to lower the fracking sump so i can replace it.

update after calder then off to bathurst 6 hour in april

adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

if you didnt remove the sump and adjust the pickup then dont race it as you will fuck the motor..

pull the sump off and fix the pickup tube.
    im a cunt

Good luck Adam for Saturday.....

I should be able to swing by and have a look see some time in the afternoon or evening.

Sad to hear about the sump, but i reckon even if you didnt fix it b4 Calder this freaky engine would last, seems no matter what you throw at it it still keeps keeping on.

But having said that you should fix it incase it decides enough is enough.

Good gains with the mods you have,
    so what is it at the wheels now?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by adamRSLC View Post
    Ok im out to calder on sat evening and have been playing with the VL over the last few weeks .

Out went tired old valve springs and in some single beehive's , while at it the timing chain was pretty flogged out so put in a rollmaster double row and spaced the oil pump to clear it but no mods to the timing chain case .

Also grabbed a 2nd hand 224/228 @ 113 cam from a mates car and 4 credits later and some time with VCM suite it punched out a solid 50rwkw gain across the board .

Only downside is to space the oil pump i had to drop the sump a little which has upset the sump gasket and the oil is choosing freedom instead of staying in the sump so crossmember is being dropped to lower the fracking sump so i can replace it.

update after calder then off to bathurst 6 hour in april

adam
    Sadly, I'm not going to be able to do Calder. Waiting for some tophats for my new brake setup to be done, so I'll have to content myself with being a flaggy.

Han, Enter the Dragon

I won't be there in the M3 either, budget going to racing the E30 at the moment, and some new parts for the M3 are still sitting in the shed not installed yet
    E36 M3 12.92 @ 108.64mph, N/A 3.0L

Quote Originally Posted by morerevsm3 View Post
    I won't be there in the M3 either, budget going to racing the E30 at the moment, and some new parts for the M3 are still sitting in the shed not installed yet
    I saw 2 M3's entered and wondered if one was yours.

Kaiser did you get hail damage on the weekend?

Dale , oil pump was set up / centered using feeler guages to centre it and when we yanked the sump they had another look at the oil pick up , o ring seems to have settled nicely but they had a look at it anyway .

Drove it today and oil pressure seems to be the same as last time 60psi by 3k ( coldish oil ) 25 psi idle ( hot oil ) and 60 psi at 5,000 rpm hot oil , but thanks for the heads up and ill keep an eye on it at calder.

adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Nah, luckily the car was under cover and the worst had passed by the time it reached my place, so the car is just filthy.

Han, Enter the Dragon

Calder done and dusted , was a heap of cars entered but rex club did quite well in trying to get through the groups . Managed a practice , 1 timed run in daylight and a run at night , was able to have a few more night runs but wasnt keen as it was more a shake down after a few engine mods for the bathurst 6 hour easter weekend .

Set a new PB without stressing the car much at all which is nice but would like another crack at it as a 66 sec lap is possible with more time behind the wheel .

More importantly the as the 6 hour was only a 2 week gap i thought a bit of cosmetic work was required for the VL as ive never spent a doller on paint since i bought it 8 years ago so off to the beaters it went .

It was looking pretty rough so the nose cone was repaired along with a new front bar , rear bar , boot spoiler added and color coding of the bonnet along with a front spoiler. Figured i'd stick with the HDT kit along with the current walky boonet vent that has been fitted for ages.

So i get the car back today and had a feeling the front brakes had been sticking and sure enough ill be fitting new seals to them tommorrow and getting new pads also .

adam
    Last edited by adamRSLC; 30-03-10 at 08:35 PM.
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Thumbs up

Looks the goods now