howdy guys, this has been a long time coming, but updates have been so few and far between i couldnt be bothered starting one. but today is a slow sunday so....
bit of a background.. bout 4 years ago i bought an AE92sx with silvertop cheap that had been smashed in the side.. was going to rebody it, but couldnt find a good body cheap enough to make it happen. then a bloke from castlemaine offered to swap me the AE92 for a KE25 with 4age.. so i snatched it.
as i bought it:
1973 ke25 corolla
stock standard JDM AE86 bluetop 4age
JDM t50 5 speed gearbox
KE55 4.1 open baby borg warner diff
AE71 rack and pinion steering column etc etc
TA22 celica front struts and brakes
3 sets of tyres, 13x6 globes with aussports, 13x6 hotwires? with road tyres, and various steelies with whatever shit i can get from work
some shitty race seats that i hate
started racing autocross, khanacross, a bit of oval and motorkhanas with varying results. everyone that drives it finds in near impossible to keep straight, you have to be real careful goin sideways through corners, as it either pushes you to the outside of the track, in the marbles, its slow, or it sends ya 180. goes great in a straight line though.
bought some ausport rally tyres for it, which helped in a straight line, but still handled bad. also brakes are shit.
did that till late 06, where i entered a 6hr regularity relay trial at winton with some fellow toymodders.
before the race, i lost my brake pedal. checked the brakes, found a pad had cocked sideways on its mount. checked it and it was bent! and part of the pad material had broken away. couldnt do anything but put it back together.
the car did great all weekend, apart from melting my road tyres, but 1/2 way through my stint the car got REAL hot, and i fuxed the big ends and a few mains. i think it happened either coz the oil boiled with the coolant, or maybe it starved, as there was a dirty big dent in the sump roughly where the pickup is. i was doin a hard long l/h turn at the time.
pulled it apart to do a quick reringer etc. but found one of the grub screws from my throttle body had gone through no4, and stuffed the piston and head, and made no4 bore out of specs, aswell as the stuffed crank/rods from the race.
reco'd the head, sourced another bottom end which i rebuilt, slapped it back together with another throttle body and she was good to go, mind you a year had passed and i had 3 weeks to prepare the car for the '07 6 hour at winton.
while the engine was out i had started on the body and lost interest (the body is fucked royale). so with many thanks to a mate ian, with 2 days to go before the race he roughed it up and sprayed it in primer. didnt have time for colour.
i also bought some used formula ford slicks for the race too while i was at it
found out why it was overheating. my engine was fucked, my thermo was infront of the radiator, and the previous owner had set it up to blow air back out the front! fixed that and its all good now.
so went to winton, and had constant fueling (and fuel leakage) issues. replaced the lift pump and pressure pump, tried blocking off the inlet, but to no avail. the event was a failure.
(photos to come here)
came back, replaced the tank with one from one of my other ke25's, replaced the fuel filter and got a cap from pick a part, did a fun day and now shes all sweet.
at the latest fun day, i was able to keep up with a wrx, and left quite a few better cars for dead, so i was stoked. a guy in an R32 came up to me later asking about it, saying he was trying to keep up but couldnt
best time at winton: 1.50.9
as it stands: