Page 1 of 63 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: XW getting built for the corners n shit

XW getting built for the corners n shit

Update first page to decipher what went on:

Car was originally 351 with LPG, eventually ran 11.3 @ 120MPH with a small shot of nos:
    then it was pulled apart and turned into a tarmac rally car/circuit thing, wasn't built to any particular motorsport category but has CAMS approved cage and is logbooked 3J. Did a few tuning days at Barbagallo and most recently a bunch of Collie track days and Racewars runway twice.
    Was making 442rwhp on E85.

Now the motor is out which started out as a freshen up but the crank is cracked and it's turned into a full rebuild 393 with solid roller.

The XW had a interesting time at the drags last night,

1st run: Was going to be a easy run to get the feel of the new mods that had been made since last year, Different engine mods (CHI alloy heads and Comp solid came) and some M/T street radials had been added.

Got a good launch and went for full throttle just before the 60ft mark to fire the NOS and the engine felt like it had no fuel pressure, Got off the throttle and gave it another squirt, Power for a few seconds then nothing.

Back to the pits thinking 'oh maybe I didn't purge the NOS properly' Nope that was all good.

2nd Run: Try a run with out NOS, Same problem no power at full throttle, Started to think that maybe with the extra G's from the launch that I was having LPG convertor issues and this was confirmed after a bit of deliberation.

3rd Run: On the NOS again but with a bigger LPG jet which would supply more fuel to the inlet manifold which was bypassed from the LPG convertor.
    Same fuel starvation issues but getting a little bit better, Was able to give it a full throttle run through the 1000' mark and managed to record my highest MPH ever.
    13.2 at 110MPH.

4th Run: Ok We are on track here, Put a bigger LPG enrichment jet in and gave it a big launch from the line, JEEZ the bloody thing went like an absoloute demon and the motor was onsong like it had never gone before then BANG!!!!!! as the diff blew it's self out to lunch right on the 60' mark and I coasted thrrough the traps.

I am going to get myself a 9inch diff if this experiment is going to go any faster and pull the LPG convertors off and have a bit of look inside them to find the issues. The combination of NOS and LPG has taken a bit of getting used to but the main issues with LPG are getting enough feed to the motor via the safety margins that are built into LPG systems these days.
    Last edited by Greg Rust; 04-01-17 at 12:30 PM.
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Nice work.

What diff was it running?

Also what time you hoping for 11.what?

I have a Borg Warner 2 pinion 25 spline LSD with 4.11 gears from a R31 Pintara,

Shit I know but that diff had survived in that car for almost 5 years now and had seen at least 18 drag passes and numerous burnout,

Maybe it was time.

My boss has the Moroso Calc and with the weight of my car approx 3340lbs and my 110MPH it should do a conservative 11.3.

I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

good stuff mate!!

your going to need at least 120mph to run a 11.3 on et streets, more like 123-125.
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

Nice work Woodzy

The MT's are hooking it up at last.
    This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless.

Was your car at MV?
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

Quote Originally Posted by 10sec_rx7 View Post
    good stuff mate!!

your going to need at least 120mph to run a 11.3 on et streets, more like 123-125.
    Cheers mate,

Yea I thought that the slide calc was a bit optimistic, I couldn't even run full throttle for more than a few seconds and was only at about 4000rpm in top gear when I pulled the 110mph.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Was your car at MV?
    Na I am too Ghey to take it to MV, Maybe in a few years when it's got new paint n chit.

Oh and 9 inch....

Sounds pretty interesting!
    I'm sure the Plex loved you for rolling through, if you bang a diff it's good practice to pull to the side and let them push you back because the oil clean up can be a bitch if it leaves fluid (which it may not have).

Yea I actually made sure that I spread oil all over the track I even crossed the white line just to make sure.

Mate, just trying to encourage good habits.

Quote Originally Posted by xwgasaxe View Post
    I have a Borg Warner 2 pinion 25 spline LSD with 4.11 gears from a R31 Pintara,
    Put R31 Skyline diff in? 28 spline and 4 pinion, they can be a little noisy, but pretty stong, and cost fark all.

Nice car
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR
    Yes but more power is the solution, even if lack of power isn't the problem...
    Quote Originally Posted by T0nyGTSt View Post
    i wouldn't mind a woman who didn't speak

what are they gonna converse with you about? your fucking feelings and aspirations?

i'm only interested in xbox360, VB raw, skids and LCDs...

WILL RUN 11's.....one day BOOTHY's Avatar
    i might be nieve but ive never seen/heard of a car running lpg and nitrous...

can you explain how it works and the benifits of lpg over fuel besides the cost per litre?

Yea I wanted to do something different as big carbies on V8's have been done to death and that's been a pretty easy option for a long time,

I have a gas fitters license here in WA so it was fairly easy to get the Gas Research system installed into the car but the head aches started not long after that, The biggest major hurdle is the electric safety lockoff's being very restrictive with very small diametre orrifices around 3mm and only having the potential to flow LPG to support approx 270 rwhp.

I have been able to modify some aspects of the system, Like an Impco Vff30 filter lockoff at the engine end and reboring the lockoff at the tank end, I have even retro fitted the entire venturi in the throttle bodies with billet venturi's that we made on a CNC lathe.

The Fogger NOS system has N20 in one line and a direct LPG feed that will spray direct into the inlet manifold ( I have superduper welds on the manifold)

It's still early days and I am finding like most performance cars that you just keep finding things in the system that are at the limit of their potential and you just keep working your way through bit by bit.

Quote Originally Posted by S_E View Post
    Put R31 Skyline diff in? 28 spline and 4 pinion, they can be a little noisy, but pretty stong, and cost fark all.

Nice car
    Cheers,
    Yea I had all the LSD gear from an XD diff which had been rebuilt and just wanted the 4.11 ratio from the Pintara.

I wasn't aware that Skyline had the 4 pinion and 28 spline but was aware of the 3.7 ratio, I also knew about the noisey gears that was pretty common.

I am fairly sure that I have knocked a couple of teeth off the crownwheel so I am going straight into 9inch world.

Interesting set up & development. Good stuff.

Also, would that be the only XW in Aus that is not fitted with a 9 inch by now ?

Well I put a jack under the diff this weekend and the news is that it's only a snapped axle, I pulled the back cover to have a look anyway and the teeth all seem to be OK.

I may just end up putting a new axle in and having another crack at a better pass, [Ior spread oil down the track[/I]

Good stuff!

Alex.
    Last edited by AlexinPerth; 14-04-08 at 10:46 AM. Reason: edit: learnt to read

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
    Also, would that be the only XW in Aus that is not fitted with a 9 inch by now ?
    I guess this is a good reason why most are

Ok so whilst I have decided to put together a stout 9inch, I also was keen to pull it apart to see the extent of the damage,
    LHS axle sheared off at the splines

Had to spread the carrier housing so made up a spreader with an old jack and then applied some heat from a heat gun to the outer sides of the housing to pop the centre out.

The snapped off section is stuck in the splines of the centre, I might take it to the shop and drill a pilot hole into the axle and tap it and put a bolt in there so that I can get the busted bit out.

I still want to drive on the street till the 9inch is built so in the meantime it should only be the cost of a second hand axle and some oil.

use a drift and pop it out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Smith
    The price of Man in motion is the occasional collision.
    Royalpurple Oils

Did Edo take those pics?
    Im not only sure Im HIV positive.

nice shed
    This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless.

Yes they are shit pics from my phone,

Edo told me that it's the most professional way these days,

I will try getting in there with a drift as it was pretty dark when I was looking at it last night,

How come the housing needed to be spread? Was it bent, or is that the normal process?

Alex.

its normal for these diff housings to be spread to get the centre out.

asking for alot out of the old 25 spline 2 pinion diff, haha...

Yea it was around 15 deg last night when I was trying to get the centre out and I was thinking back to the tool that we used to use when I worked as a mechanic,

Anyways I put 4 bolts into the housing and got jack out of the garage and put enough pressure on the bolts and got the heat gun into the housing edges and that helped sneak it out.

Yes I wasn't surprised that I snapped the axle when running 275 M/T's

9 inch is still a bit away, Atleast I will be able to put my street tyres back on and get back on the street.

Ok so I have fitted 2 dodgy second hand axles to fix the snapped ones as I am running the County dump racing team backyard and have pulled my LPG convertors apart as they were a source of some problems during the last track visit.

Here you can see the oily deposits left behind from poor quality LPG and also alleged plasticisers that leach out from the flexible rubber service hoses.

This is where the rubber diaphragm had swelled due to the contamination.

This one shows secondary diaphragm(finger) the Primary (bottom) and the base gasket.

I am going to get pricing to buy these parts if available still or if worse comes to worse buy new ones.

Hopefully this may enable me to get back on the track and go for more speed but with a more mild launch to save the dodgy axles.

Any ideas on what time it should run when all the probs are sorted?

Didn't know it was LPG on nos, nice one.

Would be good to get into the mid 12's hopefully.

Another fella with an pretty sweet 393 on LPG runs 12.1 at 114mph so that would be a good benchmark.