Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: LB Lancer Track Car

damn this is looking good (even if it is yellow!)

For circuit you won't need an enormously strong diff as it's not under the shock loads of a drag car. But LSD is a must. I'd avoid a locked diff in a small car like the lancer, they are twitchy enough as it is.

Whatever diff you use you will have to cut down anyway. The lancer is a damn narrow car. Have a look at what the datto 1200 guys use.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Theres lancer coupe in the trading post this week, its a logged as 3j

Price:$ 6,000.00
    IMPROVED PRODUCTION/DRAG/DRIFT, LANCER,, 77 Hatch, Evo 6 Motor, Supra Box, Mazda RX7 Brakes ect, with Cams Log books, requires some assembly, $6000 or near offer (08)83845344, After Hours (08) 82706728 LONSDALE Item location:SA, AustraliaFirst published:7 October 2008Source:Trading Post - Adelaide

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automo...kToResult=true

When will your car be ready mate, the more car in IP the better
    SA IPRA cars 15, 51, 77 and 25
    (Sharperto Racing)

http://www.iprasa.mx.com.au/

That'd be an LB hatch. Nice cars but didn't handle as well as the sedans.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

I just called up about that lancer, I was considering buying it and converting it all of the running gear over to my car. It has a welded nissan 720 diff the head is off the motor and the ecu has been sold. It used to be eddie wreckers old car I might go check it out it did use to run 1:19's around Malalla when running a vr4 motor.

I think I will keep going on mine there are too many things that I would want to change and if I dont use the hatch body and roll cage it kind of makes it not worth while. I have been ringing around for roll cages today they arn't so cheap

Here is the latest picture, I have installed the front flares so now I should be able to fit some longer sigma lower control arms for more track and run 205x50x15's (the picture shows 205x60x15's)

Hopefully once I add the flares to the back I get away with dropping in a RX7 gen1 diff without having to chop it down.
    I picked up a W58 box last week and should have the adaptor bell housing next week.

I wanted it on the road by the end of the year but with christmas expenses and house building expenses it is make it hard.
    B&N Performance Engineering - 4Bangers & Mash Racing
    1978 LB Lancer IPRA Car - In the making LB Lancer 4G63 IPRA Build - Now up and driving

theres a LB at u-pull-it lonsdale fyi

TonyL - cheers for that I will have to check it out I still need a half decent front bar.

I had a few days of work so got stuck into installing the new seat. I had to unpick the factory front seat crossbrace as it had the new seat sitting too high. It now sits nice and low and far back, hopefully not to far back for the roll cage.

I also have fitted up to dellow bellhousing adaptor so I can bolt up my W58 to a VR4 narrow block. I need to find a 2lt sigma fly wheel to finish of the conversion but not having much luck finding an aftermarket lightweight one and the stock ones are cast.

1978 LB Lancer IPRA Car - In the making LB Lancer 4G63 IPRA Build - Now up and driving

Seat location should be fine for the cage, my main hoop is just in front of the rear seat brace and it looks like you will have clearance there.

I think cheaterparts on sigma-galant makes flywheels.

Fletch has made an appreance on this forum.
    He makes all sorts of stuff for Galant's/Mitsi's.

He also has a habit of not answering enquiries

Runs on Astron power! karl_2ltGC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoonBoy View Post
    Seat location should be fine for the cage, my main hoop is just in front of the rear seat brace and it looks like you will have clearance there.

I think cheaterparts on sigma-galant makes flywheels.
    He does, il let him know about this thread.
    Mad Cunt
    Galant '93 6A12TT Calder 1:17.1200 14/03/15 - Sandown 1:32.0556 04/10/15 - Phillip Island 1:58.0573 20/03/2016 - Winton 1:46.5678 1/11/2015 (Natsoft)

cheaterparts is also on the IPRA forum too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Smith
    The price of Man in motion is the occasional collision.
    Royalpurple Oils

I picked up a series3 rx7 diff with brakes and control arms. We dummy fitted it to the car today and it is definetly much wider then the stock lancer diff, roughly 14cm overall Even with my flares the 205's are hanging out way to far. I could go wider flares to make full use of the 100mm maximum allowed gain in body width but it would still be close, current flares only add 40mm total. I will look into getting the diff chopped down between 3-4inches either side, I would rather go to short and then use spacers then still be to wide.
    The wheels in the photos have a +26mm offset the ones I want to use are 0 offset.

Runs on Astron power! karl_2ltGC's Avatar
    Looks good, suck about the wheel in the gaurds rule.
    Mad Cunt
    Galant '93 6A12TT Calder 1:17.1200 14/03/15 - Sandown 1:32.0556 04/10/15 - Phillip Island 1:58.0573 20/03/2016 - Winton 1:46.5678 1/11/2015 (Natsoft)

That's a fair bit wider then what I had guessed / looked up on the interweb. Will it stil be a cost effective diff by the time you add an LSD, decent ratio and have it narrowed?

That's a fair bit wider then what I had guessed / looked up on the interweb. Will it stil be a cost effective diff by the time you add an LSD, decent ratio and have it narrowed?
    I think it will still work out ok with costs, but I am learning quickly not to count the money

It should be good diff LSD's are cheap and heaps of ratios; it is a lot lighter than a hilux etc, just a matter of how the 26 spline axles hold up. A RX4 would have been better as it is narrower and has 28 spline axles but LSD's are harder to find and you would have to change the stud pattern. I will get some quotes next week on what it will cost to shorten, mates who have had it done don't seem to think it is that pricey.
    I am still trying to work out what to use in the way of a floater setup for the leafs, and if I am even allowed to use them in IPRA.

I got it booked in for its cage at Walker chassis, full 6-point weld in with extra brace in main hoop and roof as well as side intrusion bars and harness bar. The soonest I could get in was the last weekend of January

According to the McDonald's bros site, shortening costs are:
    Housing - $300
    Axles - $175 (each)
    Bolt pattern change $250
    I don't know if I would be happy with shortened standard axles unless they were heat treated properly.
    They also do some floater kits for $195 http://www.mcdonaldbrosracing.com.au/leaffloaters.html but I don't think they would be IPRA legal

Quote Originally Posted by IPRA Manual
    Live axles: The original configuration and type of all suspension pivot points on the assembly must be retained, save for lateral location as per article 9.10. The rear axle assembly is otherwise free. Fully floating hubs are encouraged.
    That's a long wait for the cage! I gues it gives you time to sort out other bits

hey mate, can i ask what you got quoted for the cage? walker seem to be the shizzle, but expensive?
    Tow car/daily: 2011 D40 Navara ST

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Hoonboy, I don't like the look of the McDonald floaters, there are some better designs out there.

Cage is $2200, he does a fixed price it doesn't matter what car you have. There are others out there that could have got it done before christmas but they give ballpark figures and charge by the hour.

what does 2200 include, ring RMF fabrication he makes some pimp ass cages.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

$2200 is a great price if it's a decent cage. Mine was done by Pete Cleary at ProRacing at mates rates and still cost me 3k...
    When you go back out there, i want you to hit the pace car....

# 28 NSW APRA N14.

Quote Originally Posted by PLAYA View Post
    what does 2200 include, ring RMF fabrication he makes some pimp ass cages.
    2200 is a full weldin 6 point cage with bracing to the a and b pillars, side intrusion bars and extra diagonal brace through across the roof and in the drivers main hoop as well as a harness bar. I will RMF see how busy they are and how much, I would really like it done before christmas.

his number is 83847248
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

$2200 fixed is alot better than i expexted, and the walker cages ive seen seem to be pretty good. You reckon they would be able to cut a dashboard out where the a-pillar bars go?

very pleased to see $2200

cheers,
    jeff

I am sending it to them without the dash in so they can run the front legs along the a-pillars, I will trim it to get it back in.

thats the best way to do it none of this gay arsed dogleg shit in the front bars that will weaken it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Smith
    The price of Man in motion is the occasional collision.
    Royalpurple Oils

without extra gussets/bars i dont think its even legal to have a dogleg in the a pilar bar.

Do they paint the cage? I can imagine an extremely fustrating paint session trying to mask the car and trying not to miss any of the barwork if i were to do it myself

por15 self levelling brush on paint for the win! Just don't do it by dodgy light like I did, you will miss spots that are bloody obvious in sunlight

Any updates on the diff?

Any updates on the diff?
    I haven't done anymore. I am going to go some wider flares at the rear take up the maximum allowed, will try some torana flares. I am also considering trying a more positive offset wheel, FWD style to avoid cutting the diff down, but it won't look right without any dish.

I am also checking out a diff from a 1981 mazda 929 wagon. It the wrong style PCD for the wheel studs but it is free, we have no idea what axles they ran if it is decent I will cut it to suit the lancer and sell off the RX7 diff.

Sounds like a weird option! What about a hilux diff with stud pattern change? Adds about 3cm per side compared to the stock diff.